MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Madlax Episode 26 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Madlax »» Madlax Episode 26 Discussion

View Poll Results: Madlax Episode 26 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

11 55.00%
4 out of 5: Liked it

5 25.00%
3 out of 5: It was OK

2 10.00%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

1 5.00%
1 out of 5: Hated it

1 5.00%
Voters: 20

12-08-09, 1:27 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apart from the fact that since a couple of previous episodes Madlax has become transparent to bullets I didn't get a thing! why did Carrosea died again? And why is Madlax older than Margaret if they are the same person? No sorry I didn't get a thing here. silly plotline yeah.
Modified by meneope, 03-06-12, 1:49 PM

12-21-09, 8:07 PM

You can't understand it because it is the stupidest plotline ever. I fell asleep during almost every episode. Madlax is Japan's sleeping aid and it only costs you 30 dollars!

12-23-09, 3:59 PM

I want my money back. And I didn't even pay anything for it!

01-30-10, 11:44 AM

Wow... Interesting that none of you guys really liked it. I think this series isn't based around action and stuff like that, but more around philosophy, which not everyone is a fan of, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.
(to the person who reads this that might actually like Madlax as well I loved how this series kept a few elements of other 'girls with guns' series but also blazed its own trail. Definately well done!)

01-31-10, 2:49 PM

vinnispinni said:
Wow... Interesting that none of you guys really liked it. I think this series isn't based around action and stuff like that, but more around philosophy, which not everyone is a fan of, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.
(to the person who reads this that might actually like Madlax as well I loved how this series kept a few elements of other 'girls with guns' series but also blazed its own trail. Definately well done!)

We already watch it - that's the problem.
Perhaps u could shed some light on some of the questions I asked earlier since u have understood the thing apparently.

02-28-10, 1:05 AM

Quite the interesting tale. Very confusing in parts but in the end it came together. Even if it only came together in symbolism and not reality. I do believe that this is an interpretation of of our own power over ourselves, and our lack of understanding in how things really work. Thus we live in a world that we know no better than the lies of Friday-Monday. Truly some deep thinking is involved in the overarching plot. Lots of subplots that run from ep to ep.

Art was generally very good. the 2d flowing hair thing was really out of place sometimes. Kind of annoying really.

At the very worst Yuki Kajiura still produced an awesome soundtrack!
8/10 series overall.
Modified by Tasolth, 02-28-10, 9:23 PM
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!

09-04-10, 12:21 AM

Noir was waaaaaay better.

Having said that, even knowing spoilers (not char. death spoilers, though) through the whole thing, it was pretty confusing.

But to understand the plot line, you first have to understand that this is a story about a girl experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder/DID (Formerly known as MPD).

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger first and to escape the guilt of sin of her actions, she split into at least three parts (if Vanessa, Eleanore, blond wise chick, and even Friday Monday were alters also), one being Madlax, the alter who carried the sin so she could be disassociated from knowledge she could not cope with. In the end, Margaret is able to accept the reality of what happened and merged the alters. I even suspect the long blond haired tan lady with the mystic hand thing was the host, being the 'all-knowing' aspect which is central to the whole alter-splitting thing.

I don't know what Friday-Monday represented, though philosophically speaking, he just served as the ideal that morality is only a human construct and that sin does not exist. Though in the end, Madlax who embodies sin or is proof of sin and thus proof of morality and so contradicts his ideals, kills him, ironically.

Madlax, as an alter, obviously wasn't so much a physical entity as she was a disjointed part of Margaret's subconscious. Hence why she could be shot a bunch of times by Margaret and not die (as well as by creepy stalker chick she apparently hooks up with), though I think that was more symbolic of Margaret trying to destroy the truth without being aware of the truth of how her father died. After realizing and accepting she killed him and that Madlax was her sin, then she could have killed Madlax, hence why Madlax offered her the gun to make her vanish. This part about not dying before realizing and accepting the truth is why Vanessa and Eleanore died when they did.

So:

Margaret=Madlax
Eleanore=Vanessa (probably)
mystic hand lady=Friday Monday?

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really get half of it even if it's pretty obvious that this is about DID to most viewers, I would think. But a lot of gun action, I suppose, was used to market this anime to a wider audience, seeing as Noir, its predecessor, appeals to a very narrow audience as seems to be the case with Bee Train's better titles, imo. But Noir has apparently had a lot of not-so-great reviews by a lot of people. I was personally so impressed with the title that I wanted to rate it a masterpiece. I see Madlax as using similar concepts of sin and some similar characters (Margaret and Kirika and Vanessa and Mirielle), France, and girls being awesome with guns, but with a very different scenario. But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.
Modified by aixelsyd, 09-04-10, 12:37 AM

10-13-10, 12:55 PM

I thought it was cool. Whack, but cool. not really the ending that I had expected, but still nice. However, it did seem like it ended in such a way that they could do another season or something, but the clearly have not.

As for their age, I have always been confuse. Madlax told Vanessa that she was about 17. Margret is 19. Laetitia is a little girl, or at least, seemed to be older than Madlax and Margret when they were split. So age probably had no relevancy to the split.

But, I liked it. Glad I decided to continue watching.
Modified by MasterWilliams, 10-14-10, 11:55 AM
This signature was intentionally left blank.

01-24-11, 6:54 PM

I didn't hate it... I didn't love it either, but I didn't hate it.

I suppose that may be because I was so scared that it was going to run down the cliched "Everything goes back to normal" route. Which makes watching anything past the first episode stupid.

In the end, not the best ending, but certainly not the worst. Now I just have to watch El Cazador de la Bruja and I'll be done with these.

07-01-11, 10:05 AM

net_nomad said:

Having said that, even knowing spoilers (not char. death spoilers, though) through the whole thing, it was pretty confusing.

But to understand the plot line, you first have to understand that this is a story about a girl experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder/DID (Formerly known as MPD).

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger...

I don't know what Friday-Monday represented, though philosophically speaking, he just served as the ideal that morality is only a human construct and that sin does not exist. Though in the end, Madlax who embodies sin or is proof of sin and thus proof of morality and so contradicts his ideals, kills him, ironically.

Madlax, as an alter, obviously wasn't so much a physical entity as she was a disjointed part of Margaret's subconscious. Hence why she could be shot a bunch of times by Margaret and not die (as well as by creepy stalker chick she apparently hooks up with), though I think that was more symbolic of Margaret trying to destroy the truth without being aware of the truth of how her father died. After realizing and accepting she killed him and that Madlax was her sin, then she could have killed Madlax, hence why Madlax offered her the gun to make her vanish. This part about not dying before realizing and accepting the truth is why Vanessa and Eleanore died when they did.

So:

Margaret=Madlax

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really... But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.

I think that's more like doing a detective work trying to fill in the gap where the producers or writters clearly failed to provide a meaningful plotline. That doesn't still answer my question though: why did Carrosea have to die? What did he represent (symbolically?)?
Modified by meneope, 03-06-12, 1:49 PM

07-01-11, 10:10 AM

Greyskulduggery said:

In the end, not the best ending, but certainly not the worst. Now I just have to watch El Cazador de la Bruja and I'll be done with these.

It's funny u should mention El Cazador I started watching that, but it felt so much like Madlax that I put it away. I think it was done by the same people.

01-21-12, 7:34 AM

So we still don't know the explanation for the age difference...

There's another thing I didn't get: How come Margaret was able to open the door using the three books with Carrossea without the page that Madlax had, but when Friday-Monday tried to do the same thing he failed O.o Also, is Friday-Monday a symbolic name?
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

01-25-12, 7:32 AM

bloodlover said:
So we still don't know the explanation for the age difference...

There's another thing I didn't get: How come Margaret was able to open the door using the three books with Carrossea without the page that Madlax had, but when Friday-Monday tried to do the same thing he failed O.o Also, is Friday-Monday a symbolic name?

The thing is they tried to make it looked interesting by building up as much expectations as possible in the viewers about an empty plotline, adding some kind of super-natural touch to it but it is basically empty and non-sensical!

02-05-12, 11:10 PM

I'm disappointed about the lack of discussion towards this anime given how awesome it was. Oh well :(

About the age: both Margaret and Madlax were 17 iirc. If not then Madlax might have been wrong when she said she was about 17, remember she had no memories of her as a kid, how could she know her exact age?

Margerate might have been able to open the gate because the paper was with madlax (aka herself) given that she technically had the additional page she was able to. I dunno this is just a theory.

03-06-12, 1:57 PM

Fasces349 said:
I'm disappointed about the lack of discussion towards this anime given how awesome it was. Oh well :(

About the age: both Margaret and Madlax were 17 iirc. If not then Madlax might have been wrong when she said she was about 17, remember she had no memories of her as a kid, how could she know her exact age?

Margerate might have been able to open the gate because the paper was with madlax (aka herself) given that she technically had the additional page she was able to. I dunno this is just a theory.

Like I said the scenarists could have done a better job. The truth is the story is poorly structured and is organised and executed with creating suspence or expectations in mind rather than anything substantial in content.

08-07-12, 9:04 PM

Great series tbh. Not as good as Noir imo but still enjoyable.

Lovely soundtrack and psychological themes that expands beyond just the typical shounen gun action.

02-27-13, 2:16 PM

The thing that bugged me the most wasn't even the split spirit thing it was Madlax being buddy buddy with the chick who killed Vanessa the Maid. I mean really?

08-27-13, 1:56 AM

After watching Noir's epic ending, I had very high expectations about this one's too. Sadly, those expectations weren't fulfilled.

While I liked the concept of the split personality and all that stuff, I thought that the last few episodes were executed rather poorly, and left a few issues unresolved.

Still, it was an enjoyable show overall, though I liked Noir better. 8/10.

09-22-13, 7:48 PM

aixelsyd said:
Noir was waaaaaay better.

Margaret experienced extreme trauma after having to choose to kill her father or be killed by her father. She ultimately pulled the trigger first and to escape the guilt of sin of her actions, she split into at least three parts (if Vanessa, Eleanore, blond wise chick, and even Friday Monday were alters also), one being Madlax, the alter who carried the sin so she could be disassociated from knowledge she could not cope with. In the end, Margaret is able to accept the reality of what happened and merged the alters. I even suspect the long blond haired tan lady with the mystic hand thing was the host, being the 'all-knowing' aspect which is central to the whole alter-splitting thing.

So:

Margaret=Madlax

You would probably have to read up on DID including some literature and findings by clinical psychologists to really get half of it even if it's pretty obvious that this is about DID to most viewers, I would think. But a lot of gun action, I suppose, was used to market this anime to a wider audience, seeing as Noir, its predecessor, appeals to a very narrow audience as seems to be the case with Bee Train's better titles, imo. But Noir has apparently had a lot of not-so-great reviews by a lot of people. I was personally so impressed with the title that I wanted to rate it a masterpiece. I see Madlax as using similar concepts of sin and some similar characters (Margaret and Kirika and Vanessa and Mirielle), France, and girls being awesome with guns, but with a very different scenario. But while I am itching to re-watch the predecessor, I don't see myself re-watching this out of any particular craving.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For this post.

Because this is literally the only way the last few episodes of this show makes any sense.

While this doesn't necessarily explain away some of the show's finer plot points, but because we know Margaret and Madlax are the same person, on some level the show obviously does involve emotional trauma and dissociation on some level.

The only thing that's not 100% clear is: How deep does the rabbit hole go? Are any of the events or characters in the show "real", or are they 100% inside Margaret's head? If so, who is Margaret and what is her life actually like outside her own imagination?

Mind boggling stuff.

11-20-13, 2:02 PM

Pretty interesting. I'd go with what this guy said.
vinnispinni said:

I liked it and since I just finished Madlax then that means I have completed the Girls With Guns Trilogy and personally I thought El Cazador de la Bruja was my favorite, then Madlax, then Noir. I liked them all though. Really interesting.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices