Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 3, 2015 6:41 PM
Apr 2015
Preferably something concise; I hate watching an episode that doesn't do anything with the show, with a good thematic element and with good characters.
Aug 3, 2015 6:42 PM

Nov 2013
Definitely WIXOSS. Season 1 is Infected and Season 2 is Spread. The first season makes it seem like discount Madoka/Yu-Gi-Oh! with girls at first, but that tapers off towards the end and is virtually nonexistent in S2. It's 24 episodes.
Aug 3, 2015 6:43 PM

Dec 2014
Cardcaptor Sakura is a great series with some aspects of Madoka but
with more adventure.

Is this where you live?

Aug 3, 2015 7:47 PM
Jan 2013
Other good series directed/written by the same guy who composed Madoka Magica:
Psycho-Pass
Fate/Zero (His best work in my opinion)
Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago.๏ปฟ" - A newbie
Aug 3, 2015 7:50 PM

Aug 2014
Legend of the galactic heroes
Aug 3, 2015 9:24 PM
Apr 2015
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Psycho-Pass

I've already watched Psycho-Pass and I am already seeing Fate/Zero with a friend, I'm looking for something to watch after I finish Ga-Rei Zero.

SNaG21 said:
Definitely WIXOSS. Season 1 is Infected and Season 2 is Spread. The first season makes it seem like discount Madoka/Yu-Gi-Oh! with girls at first, but that tapers off towards the end and is virtually nonexistent in S2. It's 24 episodes.

Noted, thanks for the recommendation =)

Imjustthatdude said:

Oooff, 110 episodes seems a bit long, but I'll consider it. Does it ever drag despite it's longitude?
Aug 3, 2015 9:25 PM

Mar 2015
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is nothing like Madoka Magica. That's just a trollpost.
Aug 3, 2015 9:26 PM

Jul 2015
Mai HiME was Madoka Magica before Madoka Magica, aka an anime that shows the dark side of being a magical girl.
Aug 3, 2015 9:26 PM

Aug 2014
alfredo094 said:
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Psycho-Pass

I've already watched Psycho-Pass and I am already seeing Fate/Zero with a friend, I'm looking for something to watch after I finish Ga-Rei Zero.

SNaG21 said:

Noted, thanks for the recommendation =)

Imjustthatdude said:

Oooff, 110 episodes seems a bit long, but I'll consider it. Does it ever drag despite it's longitude?
hell no its the best paced anime I've seen if it dragged on I wouldn't have watched it
Aug 3, 2015 9:27 PM

Aug 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is nothing like Madoka Magica. That's just a trollpost.
show still good tho unless u have never seen it
Aug 3, 2015 10:23 PM

Dec 2012
Revolutionary Girl Utena is my personal recommendation if you like Madoka.
Aug 3, 2015 10:39 PM

Jun 2014
SNaG21 said:

+1
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 3, 2015 10:40 PM

Sep 2013
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (Yuuki Yuna Is A Hero) is A LOT like madoka magica.

Its a Magical Girl show where right off the bat it feels really unsettling and has a dark plot twist.
The way Yuuki Yuna is dark is a little different from Madoka Magica dark though.
(and yes like all psychological magical girl shows there is a mental breakdown)
But the OST for Yuuki Yuna is like waaaaaaaaaaaay better and more badass than Madoka Magica's soundtrack... (The songs don't even have a real name)

Fortune favors the bold. I weep for the sheep.
Aug 3, 2015 10:43 PM

Mar 2014
gakkou gurashi
Aug 4, 2015 12:13 AM
Jan 2013
alfredo094 said:
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Psycho-Pass

You should consider Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom if you like the dark/psychological/tragic theme.
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago.๏ปฟ" - A newbie
Aug 4, 2015 1:00 AM

Dec 2013
if you like dark nuance anime with a very good plot and great music with perfect drama, go for SHINSEKAI YORI!!

Aug 4, 2015 2:00 AM
Apr 2015
philtecturophy said:
if you like dark nuance anime with a very good plot and great music with perfect drama, go for SHINSEKAI YORI!!

Already watched it and I was bored too hell. It had many stellar ideas but it couldn't mash them up properly.

I will add Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom to my PTW list, thanks. I think that's next =)
Aug 4, 2015 2:10 AM
Jul 2014
Imjustthatdude said:

Is this the only anime you recommend to people? lol.
Aug 4, 2015 2:12 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Gakkou Gurashi from this season has pretty similar vibes

Out of finished ones, WIXOSS is probably the best (though still nowhere even close to Madoka's brilliance)
Aug 4, 2015 8:30 AM

Mar 2014
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha was one of the biggest influences on Madoka and was also directed by Shinbo before he went to Shaft - I always recommend that Madoka fans check that series out. Lyrical Nanoha and Lyrical Nanoha A's (season 2, which is better) are both 13 episodes each, so not too long.

You could also check out Shamanic Princess (6 episode OVA) or Uta Kata (12 episode series). Neither is as good as Madoka (or Nanoha, IMO), but both were among the trailblazers of the "suffering magical girl" subgenre.

For non-magical girl suggestions:
Gunslinger Girl shares some thematic similarities. Despite the name and premise it's not a heavy action series - it's really much more of a character drama, centered on the girls and their handlers and the situation they're all stuck in - but if you watch it with the right mindset and expectations, it's good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion seems to have been an influence on Madoka (as it was on many shows), putting a dark/psychological twist on the mecha genre before dark and psychological was trendy, and of course it's a classic that every anime fan should watch at least once anyway.

Bokurano's also a really good series and might also be worth checking out to you - it starts out with a group of kids making a contract with a mysterious person who claims they're just going to be playtesting his new video game, but then...
Aug 4, 2015 9:05 AM

May 2012
I suggest "Bake Neko," the closing arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel, the series Mononoke. They have spectactular artwork and some impressive supernatural encounters between the protagonist and the demons he slays. Watch "Bake Neko" first; I still think it the best of the stories, and perhaps the best work ever from director Nakamura Kenji.

Here's a scene from the first episode of Mononoke:

Aug 4, 2015 1:57 PM
Apr 2015
WingKing said:
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha was one of the biggest influences on Madoka and was also directed by Shinbo before he went to Shaft - I always recommend that Madoka fans check that series out. Lyrical Nanoha and Lyrical Nanoha A's (season 2, which is better) are both 13 episodes each, so not too long.

You could also check out Shamanic Princess (6 episode OVA) or Uta Kata (12 episode series). Neither is as good as Madoka (or Nanoha, IMO), but both were among the trailblazers of the "suffering magical girl" subgenre.

For non-magical girl suggestions:

Gunslinger Girl shares some thematic similarities. Despite the name and premise it's not a heavy action series - it's really much more of a character drama, centered on the girls and their handlers and the situation they're all stuck in - but if you watch it with the right mindset and expectations, it's good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion seems to have been an influence on Madoka (as it was on many shows), putting a dark/psychological twist on the mecha genre before dark and psychological was trendy, and of course it's a classic that every anime fan should watch at least once anyway.

Bokurano's also a really good series and might also be worth checking out to you - it starts out with a group of kids making a contract with a mysterious person who claims they're just going to be playtesting his new video game, but then...

Heheh I accidentally watched the second season of Gunslinger Girl before the first one. Maybe it was because of the mediocre animation or me not seeing the first season but I didn't even finish it. However it's been long enough that I can give the first season a try =) Thanks for reminding me. I'll check out the non-NGE suggestions too (I actually hate NGE lol).

About Lyrical Nanoha though, I believe that there are several continuities and series and whatnot. How do I watch it?

I've added Bokurano to my list, thanks.
SeijiSensei said:
I suggest "Bake Neko," the closing arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel, the series Mononoke. They have spectactular artwork and some impressive supernatural encounters between the protagonist and the demons he slays. Watch "Bake Neko" first; I still think it the best of the stories, and perhaps the best work ever from director Nakamura Kenji.

Here's a scene from the first episode of Mononoke:

So um... do I watch the closing arc of the previous series and then Mononoke, or what? It's short so I might be interested (despite it's singular artwork).
Aug 4, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2014
Mawaru Penguindrum - plot, art, characters... and penguins are just great. You'll definitely like it.
Aug 4, 2015 6:15 PM
Jun 2015
Full Moon
Aug 4, 2015 6:40 PM

Mar 2014
alfredo094 said:
Heheh I accidentally watched the second season of Gunslinger Girl before the first one. Maybe it was because of the mediocre animation or me not seeing the first season but I didn't even finish it. However it's been long enough that I can give the first season a try =) Thanks for reminding me. I'll check out the non-NGE suggestions too (I actually hate NGE lol).

That's too bad, because the majority of Gunslinger Girl fans will tell you that Il Teatrino isn't nearly as good as season one. It is much more action-oriented, but most of the character drama and psychology that made the first season so compelling just isn't there. Plus it changed studios and seems like it had its budget cut too, because season one's animation is much better even though it's five years older. Madhouse produced season one with one of their best directors, Morio Asaka, at the helm, while Il Teatrino got shuttled over to Artland and handed to someone who'd only directed one other series before (and none since, AFAIK).

alfredo094 said:
About Lyrical Nanoha though, I believe that there are several continuities and series and whatnot. How do I watch it?

Nanoha has four TV seasons and two movies, plus another movie currently in development. Here's the chronology:
1. Lyrical Nanoha (2004 - Nanoha the Movie 1st, released in 2010, is an alternate re-telling of this season)
2. Lyrical Nanoha A's (2005 - takes place six months after season one. Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's, released in 2012, is an alternate re-telling of this season)
2.5. Unnamed third movie currently in development (going to be an original story set in the years between A's and StrikerS)
3. Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (2007 - takes place ten years after Nanoha A's, and is less mahou shoujo and more action/sci-fi; "Gundam in a skirt" is a popular description of this installment)
4. Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (2015 - spinoff series starring a younger generation of characters that takes place several years after StrikerS. Wasn't as good as the first three, and is really something I'd only recommend to hardcore fans)

Within the series continuity, the movies are framed as movies that were made in-universe based on Nanoha's adventures (the Blu-Rays even come with alternate dialogue tracks where the characters are watching the movies during ViVid's timeframe and discussing what was history or Hollywood!). The important thing, though, is that you can still enjoy the movies even if you've never seen the TV series. The movies alter some details, often to make things consistent with how the show's canon evolved in later seasons, and naturally some things are cut for time, but the core stories are basically the same. So if you find yourself getting impatient with the first season, which doesn't really get going until Fate shows up in episode 4, then you can easily stop and watch the movie instead. It's much more tightly paced, and of course the animation is miles better, like you'd expect. With A's, though, I definitely recommend watching the TV series first. I rarely marathon anime, but I remember the first time I watched A's, I ended up marathoning almost the entire series because it was so gripping I didn't want to stop. That was what really cemented me as a Nanoha fan.

alfredo094 said:
I've added Bokurano to my list, thanks.

Welcome. Enjoy!
WingKingAug 4, 2015 6:44 PM
Aug 4, 2015 10:36 PM

May 2014
philtecturophy said:

yeah..recommendit
Aug 5, 2015 6:38 AM

May 2012
alfredo094 said:
So um... do I watch the closing arc of the previous series and then Mononoke, or what? It's short so I might be interested (despite it's singular artwork).

Yes, watch Bake Neko first, then Mononoke.

Consider it a fifteen-episode series in two chunks.
Aug 5, 2015 6:50 AM

Jan 2009
I fully support the "Requiem for Phantom" recommendation for the Urobuchi Gen fans. Especially after Ga-Rei Zero, it's a very worthy followup :)

It also has an English-translated visual novel which I would recommend 100%, since it offers very different endings to the one chosen for the anime.

About Yuuki Yuuna: It very much tries to sell itself as a Madoka clone, but I'd like to add one warning: Contrary to Madoka, which was logical to the very end, Yuuki Yuuna is decidedly not. It's also designed to have followup seasons. So you should definitely not go into this show with the expectation to get another Madoka.
Aug 5, 2015 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Aug 5, 2015 9:06 AM

Mar 2014
Mentar said:
About Yuuki Yuuna: It very much tries to sell itself as a Madoka clone, but I'd like to add one warning: Contrary to Madoka, which was logical to the very end, Yuuki Yuuna is decidedly not. It's also designed to have followup seasons. So you should definitely not go into this show with the expectation to get another Madoka.

That last part is absolutely right: don't watch Yuki Yuna expecting to get another Madoka, because it's not. But I humbly disagree with you that it was ever trying to "sell itself" as a Madoka clone in the first place. In fact, when it first premiered, a lot of people didn't even know it was going to be a magical girl show until the forest showed up; that fact wasn't heavily promoted in the previews. In my experience, the people who give it the "Madoka clone"/"would-be Madoka clone" labels are often (not always, but too frequently to be a coincidence) either rabid Madoka fans who can't or won't look any deeper at it, or else people who just haven't watched a lot of magical girl besides Madoka and don't have anything else to compare it to.

Anyway, Yuki Yuna's influences are all over the place - Madoka is absolutely one of them, for sure, but it's also drawing elements from Cardcaptor Sakura, Nanoha, Pretty Cure, and of course Sailor Moon (as every "guardian soldier" type of magical girl show has for the last 20 years). But even outside the magical girl realm I also see major influences on Yuki Yuna from Evangelion, the Persona franchise, and the Key Visual Arts stuff (Clannad, Angel Beats, etc.). And those last two shouldn't be a surprise, since Yuki Yuna, Angel Beats, and Persona 4 the Animation all shared the same director (Seiji Kishi, who is also involved with the Persona 3 movies).
WingKingAug 5, 2015 9:24 AM

More topics from this board

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - 6 hours ago

6 by Zimmu »»
39 minutes ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - 59 minutes ago

0 by Skuletor »»
59 minutes ago

» ใ€Œ ๐œ—โ„˜ ๐š๐ง๐ข๐ฆ๐ž/๐ฆ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ ๐ ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐œ—โ„˜ ใ€(โ€โ› ึŠ โ›โ€ž)โ™ก

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
2 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for girls in a certain outfit

Nagi_Karman - 4 hours ago

0 by Nagi_Karman »»
4 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.