Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2015 9:24 PM

Jun 2015
Both liked OP/ED 1 than 2.

Jul 17, 2015 9:27 PM

Sep 2013
The new ending sucks, the last one was way better.

Why did Souma's father, Joichiro Yukihira changed his name from Saiba to Yukihira?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jul 17, 2015 9:29 PM
Nov 2010
Really really enjoyed the backstory about Souma's dad. Seeing the legacy he left behind was amazingly satisfying in a nostalgic bittersweet sort of way. And the tension in the car was too cute. I loved how it's all tied to his dad <3

Was really missing Food Wars after two weeks =(
Jul 17, 2015 9:29 PM

Sep 2013
Ed song with that girl :O seriously? they couldn't come up with a better theme?
They should have stuck with Erina walking but meeting Souma at the end instead ;)

Joichiro always reminds me of Midora from toriko XD just pure badass <3
Jul 17, 2015 9:31 PM

Oct 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Gov said:
Why did the grandma keep an image of Dojima and Souma's father? Why not a picture of the entire dorm to show the Polar Star group at that time?

They showed that picture later in the episode, so she had both. But the simple reason is that Dojima and Souma were the first and second seeds at the school, they were the ones, as she explained, that built the Polar Star "Golden Age". And when they explained Dojima earlier, he was given the keys to control all the schools resorts (i.e. where the vast majority of their money comes from). He isn't only a "former first seat", but the first seat among first seats.

Gov said:
Not a fan of Souma and his father being way too similar. Same dorm, same room and both are Gary Stus.

Souma is not a Stu. He already lost to Shinomiya (and even more clearly to Megumi).

Gov said:
You are telling me that not one person from the Polar Star Dorm failed? Way to convenient that they all passed.

Not really, the polar star is famous for its "weird" people. And being "weird" is not a detriment in cooking.

Gov said:
-Why does Dojima look 10 years younger than Souma's father? Aren't they both supposed to be the same age?

Onsen water. Dojima does it every day. Great for the skin.

Okay thanks for the clear up pal.
Jul 17, 2015 9:39 PM
Oct 2012
Gov said:
Okay thanks for the clear up pal.

NP, but serious on the onsen water. You should go to Japan to partake :-)
Jul 17, 2015 10:17 PM

Apr 2014
I love the new opening

Shokugeki no soma never dissapoints

Jul 17, 2015 10:29 PM

Jun 2011
I eat Harrisa every now & then, i can critic Soma's pop's Harrisa... :p
Dat arabian taste.. from the girls reaction it's on point XD
Jul 17, 2015 10:29 PM

Jun 2014
i want joichiro spin-off story!
Jul 17, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2013
Gikiseima said:
i want joichiro spin-off story!

Too bad, you take your Shinomiya spinoff and you'll like it.
Jul 17, 2015 10:34 PM

Oct 2011
Soma father is a former Alumuni and 2nd seat of Elite Ten OMG!!!!!!
Jul 17, 2015 10:42 PM

Dec 2014
Nice new opening! :D
Jul 17, 2015 11:34 PM

Jun 2014
Erina doesn't realise that Souma is Jouichirou's son, a person who is a son of a chef she admires.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 18, 2015 12:00 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Gotta say, I like the new OP a lot more than the first....But I like the first ED more than the new one even though I loved he visuals from it

In regards to the episode, I was really hyped to see Souma's dad come back after watch the PV for episode 14 and quite frankly the hype was real

Souma's dad was a fucking legend....Second seat in the Elite 10, former Polar Star member and a master chef worldwide and not only that, Erina is a huge fangirl of his lol...The way he made everyone in Polar Star foodgasm was too funny xD

We got more info about the Autumn Elections as well and I must say that the buildup for it is working really well....Can't wait until it starts (But I also can't wait to see Souma lose to his dad but show us how much he's grown)
Jul 18, 2015 12:04 AM

Feb 2012
Glad to have my weekly dose of Shokugeki no Souma this week.

So.... Erina's idol is Souma's father huh? talk about ironic!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 18, 2015 12:36 AM

Nov 2007
I used to watch this anime for good laughter but the more episodes go by, I smile more. Which can only mean one thing, this is getting better and better! :)

The OP is nice and the ED has miss stalker! :P
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 18, 2015 12:48 AM

Jan 2011
I liked the old ED better.
Jul 18, 2015 12:51 AM

Dec 2011
I love the new OP. So dope. I like Spice better than this new ED.

Can't wait to see when Erina learns that Joichiro is Souma's dad.

Seems they really skipped the Karaage arc. I hope they create it as an OVA instead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2015 12:57 AM

Aug 2012
Nice new opening, like the old ending better though.
Jul 18, 2015 1:20 AM

Aug 2008
Don't like the new OP and ED.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 18, 2015 1:25 AM

Jun 2013
lol Rina got stuck with Souma in the same car and like father like son
Jul 18, 2015 3:22 AM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The father is obviously still in love with the mother (he had told Souma that this is the secret to cooking, and the dorm mother confirmed it this episode (with her line that his cooking became kinder)), but he can leave to go cook around the world. For me this suggests that the mother is dead, but the father still cooks kind food in her memory.

I also think his mother is dead as you can see on this pictures from second episode:

Soma is 15, Jounichiro 38 so he was born when he was 23. But it's pretty possible she was someone he knew from a school.

It's out of question that Erina and Soma aren't siblings - her parents looked totally different as you can see here:

But interestingly enough his mother looked very similiar to Hisako and seeing her being prominent in ED I wonder if it isn't she who is related him. We'll see.
Jul 18, 2015 4:35 AM

Nov 2011
Funny how Souma got a red hair when none of his parents have a hair like that.

Jul 18, 2015 4:42 AM
Jan 2015
I am very sad at our seeming loss of Hinako for the time being. She was truly a wonderful character.

I was very surprised by the revelations in this week''s episode though. While it seemed somewhat obvious that Souma's father would be an alumnus of Totsuki in some way or another, who could have guessed that he would have changed his name so dramatically. Souma's reaction to his father showing up and making haute-cuisine after years and years of comfort food was great, too.
Jul 18, 2015 5:02 AM

Apr 2011
Okay OP, but terrible ending. Bring the old one back. 9 episodes, I'm not sure they can fit the entirety of the Election arc into 9 episodes. There's 64 chapters, without the Karaage arc. Whelp, we're looking at a rushed as fuck Election arc or it'll end before the Election arc is over, which I doubt.

Kytrarewn said:
I am very sad at our seeming loss of Hinako for the time being. She was truly a wonderful character.

Jul 18, 2015 5:28 AM

Feb 2014
I'm glad to see Food Wars again after having a break last week! ^_^

The new OP was fantastic, but the new ED was a bit so-so, although the picture with all characters nude in the cooking pot was a sight to behold. =D

Joichiro main dishes look really yummy, but he stills seems to make disgusting dishes as before, with poor Zenji eating his snake dish. It looks like both father & son want to beat each other with professional and god awful dishes it seems. XD

The car ride with Yukihira & Erina was funny, especially with Yukihira, rather smugly, reminding her again about his comeback in the previous episode. However, Erina dismissing Yukihira when he said about learning from failure was very naive and stupid of her.

Most professionals, be it a chef, Manager or a sports player in Tennis or Football, would at some point in their career would fail to achieve their target or simply screw up altogether. As long as they learn from their mistakes and practice, they'll bounce back more eager than ever to succeed. Look at Shinomiya, he might've opened up a restaurant in Paris, but things didn't go so smoothly with him & his chefs, causing customers to choose other restaurants instead due to the negetivity surrounding Shinomiya and his restaurant at the time.

Now with him learning from his mistakes, Shinomiya's aiming for the ultimate goal of gaining three Michelin stars for his restaurant, and with his newly found determination, I think he'll be successful with his goal.

Overall, I think Erina has yet to experience what it's like to struggle and eventually fail with certain dishes. The sooner she experiences this, hopefully the better for her. Practice makes perfect after all. ^_^
Jul 18, 2015 6:18 AM

Jul 2013
The new OP is so awesome and badass if you look at it you might think it's from a battle shounen lol

I had an idea about Soma's dad but not like this.. totally didn't expect him to be a former 2nd seater but whatever I can't wait to see Erina's reaction when she finds out. Also.. what about Soma's mom? maybe she died early?

Soma vs his dad next ep think. Somo would lose ofc it's too early for him.
Jul 18, 2015 6:33 AM

Dec 2009
Nice ED. The animation is nice. The song, not much.

Election arc for 9, maybe 8 episodes? I hope they can do it without skipping anything important.
Jul 18, 2015 6:45 AM
Jun 2015
minoru09 said:

Election arc for 9, maybe 8 episodes? I hope they can do it without skipping anything important.

wonder if they will be able to complete it whole in 9 episodes...
Jul 18, 2015 7:15 AM

Sep 2014
Both the OP and ED are honestly not as good for me. Oh well, the OP atleast is good enough for me to hear over and over again. But that aside, episode was fantastic. Loved it! Can't wait for the next one.
Jul 18, 2015 7:54 AM

Jun 2014
amazing episode
:3
Jul 18, 2015 8:40 AM
Jun 2015
yhunata said:
Okay OP, but terrible ending. Bring the old one back. 9 episodes, I'm not sure they can fit the entirety of the Election arc into 9 episodes. There's 64 chapters, without the Karaage arc. Whelp, we're looking at a rushed as fuck Election arc or it'll end before the Election arc is over, which I doubt.

Kytrarewn said:

I think they will not be able to cover up that much....probably next season
Jul 18, 2015 8:58 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I already miss the old ED.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 18, 2015 9:28 AM
Oct 2012
Meta_Yoshi said:
However, Erina dismissing Yukihira when he said about learning from failure was very naive and stupid of her

No, it was correct. A chef should never fail in front of the customer. A chef should always think of the customer and surpass their expectations. Souma nearly failed because he really didn't think about his customers (he just assumed they would be diner customers), and then blew his failure. That is what she disliked.

The whole point of Erina is that she cannot fail, her God's Tongue prevents it. The only way she can "lose" is for a chef to beat her by absorbing all the known knowledge of cooking something, and then transcending it. She could lose to such a chef, but she would not consider that a failure, indeed that is what she wants.

This is why she went after the Champon club and the Don Club. If they only wanted to do what they had been doing, then they weren't needed at the School. They should go work at an existing restaurant. The purpose of the School is to transcend and expand the knowledge of cooking. In short, to be like Souma's father. In Japan there are different words for a "chef" restaurant and a "style" restaurant, the latter don't need the school.

The development of Souma has always been his learning how little he knows. At the beginning he thought that school was a waste of time, it took two humiliations at the training camp for him to finally admit that he was benefiting from the school. His father this episode drove the point home to him. Despite Souma's talent, he had false pride, an arrogance that he couldn't back up, an ignorance where even a simple change in eating venue almost beat him.

Of course being a Shounen Hero he overcomes his ignorance and is transforming his arrogance into pride, but Erina's point would be that he should never have been arrogant to begin with.
Jul 18, 2015 9:29 AM

Aug 2011
Awesome ep. It's gonna get really interesting from here on!
But where is my fav ending song? :'( what is this new crap?
Jul 18, 2015 9:47 AM

Jan 2015
New ending sounds awful. Is it on purpose? Since the ending video was bout that girl peeping ;) Anyway holy shit this has to be one of the best adaption of the year in terms of capturing the essence of the manga. Pierrot should learn from them lol.
Jul 18, 2015 9:56 AM
Oct 2012
Mich666 said:
But interestingly enough his mother looked very similiar to Hisako and seeing her being prominent in ED I wonder if it isn't she who is related him. We'll see.

Nice work, agreed, it will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.
Jul 18, 2015 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
I love the new OP especially it's visuals <3 That was a great episode, I missed it last week. I can't wait to see their match next time. If they adapt everything this most likely will end with a cliffhanger, I don't want them to skip anything tbh.
Jul 18, 2015 11:23 AM

Oct 2012
Pangeaa said:
Awesome ep. It's gonna get really interesting from here on!
But where is my fav ending song? :'( what is this new crap?

TokonatsuYuu said:
New ending sounds awful. Is it on purpose? Since the ending video was bout that girl peeping ;) Anyway holy shit this has to be one of the best adaption of the year in terms of capturing the essence of the manga. Pierrot should learn from them lol.

For anyone wondering about new ED song, please read this:
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/japanese-pop-star-oomori-seikos-music-sounds-like-disneyland-in-hell

It seems she is now super popular in Japan. Here's her music video of current song:
Jul 18, 2015 12:03 PM

Apr 2012
The OP is pretty good but the ED is horrible lol

Great episode. I haven't watched a show that I'm still enjoying more than half way into it. Nowadays I lose interest pretty fast. Consistent like always

Jul 18, 2015 12:03 PM

Apr 2011
So their real family name is...

lol
Jul 18, 2015 12:50 PM
Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
No, it was correct. A chef should never fail in front of the customer. A chef should always think of the customer and surpass their expectations. Souma nearly failed because he really didn't think about his customers (he just assumed they would be diner customers), and then blew his failure. That is what she disliked.
Personally, I think it's idiotic to believe that one mistake makes you a failure forever.

A chef that makes a mistake will likely lose clients (depending on the gravity), but that doesn't mean he cannot improve and try again... I mean, it's a chef, not a f**king surgeon, and even surgeons fail at times, with grave consequences, but they are also allowed to use that experience to improve, so long it wasn't caused by negligence.

And let's not forget that these guys are not even chefs... they are students, to expect them to be perfect is like expecting people to be born knowing all they need to know. This school itself has a degree of lenience, despite being seriously strict. On the other hand, Erina professes not one inch on lenience at all. And there is still the entrance test, Souma didn't even make a single mistake there yet she failed him... students need not only be perfect for her, but pleasant from her point of view.

Anyway, back to this episode, I'm not sure what you mean by Souma "blowing his failure", but it seems clear to me that he is admitting it instead of dismissing it, in case that's what you are saying.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 18, 2015 1:13 PM

Sep 2013
Really enjoying the presence of Yukihira's dad. He's such a man of mysteries! I want to find out more of his back story and his days as a student.

I prefer last season's OST....
Jul 18, 2015 2:28 PM

Nov 2010
Coukd someone mod the ed so it become Spice instead?

The rest is good ol' Soma, though.
Jul 18, 2015 3:13 PM

Jan 2015
ani12 said:
minoru09 said:

wonder if they will be able to complete it whole in 9 episodes...

Probably not.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 18, 2015 5:14 PM

Nov 2007
The younger of the Aldinis in the opening though. Looks like we are in for a heavy workout! :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 18, 2015 6:40 PM

Apr 2011
ani12 said:
yhunata said:

I think they will not be able to cover up that much....probably next season

Jul 18, 2015 7:44 PM

Jul 2009
Ajunky said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Personally, I think it's idiotic to believe that one mistake makes you a failure forever.

A chef that makes a mistake will likely lose clients (depending on the gravity), but that doesn't mean he cannot improve and try again... I mean, it's a chef, not a f**king surgeon, and even surgeons fail at times, with grave consequences, but they are also allowed to use that experience to improve, so long it wasn't caused by negligence.

And let's not forget that these guys are not even chefs... they are students, to expect them to be perfect is like expecting people to be born knowing all they need to know. This school itself has a degree of lenience, despite being seriously strict. On the other hand, Erina professes not one inch on lenience at all. And there is still the entrance test, Souma didn't even make a single mistake there yet she failed him... students need not only be perfect for her, but pleasant from her point of view.

Anyway, back to this episode, I'm not sure what you mean by Souma "blowing his failure", but it seems clear to me that he is admitting it instead of dismissing it, in case that's what you are saying.

Well said. You learn best from failure. Erina is just a tsundere/bitch.
Jul 18, 2015 8:03 PM
Dec 2013
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Eyyy Shoutouts

Yeah and in the opening we can see Illya as Alice and her assistant as Berserker. And probably Hayama as Gilgamesh.
Jul 18, 2015 8:16 PM
May 2015
Pretty good episode I was shocked to see erina having a picture of joichiro. She even muttered that yukihira souma reminds her of him. She may admire joichiro but I don't think as a man but more as a big brother (dudes too old) so I think souma and her will end up together. I'm sure you guys remember what joichiro said to his son in the phone "the way to perfect your cooking is to find a woman to dedicate it too" (something like that) so he has to end up with somebody and that somebody will be Erina. I wonder who's soumas mom who did joichiro leave totsuki for and why hasn't she shown up in the series at all, could she be dead. Sorry guys I'm just blurting out anything that pops on my head. Meh, you guys probably aren't gonna read this anyway. I should really stop typing. This post is gonna look like a review soon.....but who ever read this, Thanks with a capital T :) and give me your thoughts on my questions and theories
El_SenpaiJul 18, 2015 8:26 PM
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2015

330 by Phaeton777 »»
Apr 17, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

636 by o_ob6o_o »»
Apr 11, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2015

221 by Emejotis »»
Apr 4, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

186 by Duany »»
Mar 9, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Favorite op?

infinite_Shadows - Dec 31, 2023

13 by Arrow02 »»
Jan 2, 7:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.