Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2012
kataklism said:

there hasn't been any rape in a scene where there would have basically been a gang bang, and afterwards the last guy was asked by rori to rape 2 dead bodies, at his refusal, she made him bury his own grave with just his naked hands.

does that explain it better?

I don't understand why you would need a scene like that...
Jul 17, 2015 2:51 PM

Oct 2014
ninja88880 said:

2 words:

shock value

Some people want their daily dosis of EDGE, it seems.
Jul 17, 2015 2:52 PM

Jan 2009
kataklism said:
Grey-Zone said:
Seriously... it seems all people care about here is "compared to the manga this..." or "compared to the manga that..."

well, they completely cut out a core part of the manga: rape, and hopefully they won't take out slavery as well or they will most likely change the course of the story.
Jul 17, 2015 2:58 PM
Oct 2012
ninja88880 said:

The manga shows the middle ages like they were, which honestly is part of its appeal. Even Game of Thrones is somewhat sanitized. The manga pulls no punches on that regard.

As someone who likes history, I like that element of realism. The past was brutal, it is important to remember how brutal because it contextualizes the decisions people made back then (people like to point out the abuses the Catholic Church did in the past, what they fail to realize is that while compared to our standards today the RCC did horrible things compared to the standards of that day, the RCC was incredibly progressive).

That said, having one panel in a manga is very very different from animating it. The single panel captures the horror very well, animating the scene, because it would take longer and would have to be fluid, would have a different impact.
Jul 17, 2015 3:06 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Goth girl for the win.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jul 17, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
ninja88880 said:

The manga shows the middle ages like they were, which honestly is part of its appeal. Even Game of Thrones is somewhat sanitized. The manga pulls no punches on that regard.

As someone who likes history, I like that element of realism. The past was brutal, it is important to remember how brutal because it contextualizes the decisions people made back then (people like to point out the abuses the Catholic Church did in the past, what they fail to realize is that while compared to our standards today the RCC did horrible things compared to the standards of that day, the RCC was incredibly progressive).

That said, having one panel in a manga is very very different from animating it. The single panel captures the horror very well, animating the scene, because it would take longer and would have to be fluid, would have a different impact.

Anime adaptation was forced to compromise to keep the story intact and just have it acceptable for general populace. They want to make this a franchise and thus something that sells well.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 17, 2015 3:21 PM

Sep 2012
Newhopes said:
Gov said:
Can someone explain to me why Rory attacked those bandits but didn't attack the military people? Why just talk to them but not the bandits? Why did the bandits deserved to be slaughtered?

They cut alot of the darker stuff, those bandits had just killed a family including raping the wife and young daughter.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I was reading a bunch of comments about the cut out rape scene, but had no idea of the circumstances behind it.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Jul 17, 2015 3:31 PM

Nov 2008
oldskoolpunk said:
Good episode. Rory was toned down a lot from the manga, as others have pointed out.

I have read the chapter 4 for comparison purposes and compared to the manga version, anime Rory totally lacks any kind of characterisation. All we know that she likes riding cars and kills people with an axe. But why does she kill them – the anime doesn't explain.

The bandit fight scene could even be left as it is, but with more of Rory's monologue added and it would be much better.
Jul 17, 2015 3:34 PM

Jun 2013
This was the episode I needed to keep watching. Good stuff.
Jul 17, 2015 3:35 PM
Nov 2010
vytah said:

I have read the chapter 4 for comparison purposes and compared to the manga version, anime Rory totally lacks any kind of characterisation. All we know that she likes riding cars and kills people with an axe. But why does she kill them – the anime doesn't explain.

The bandit fight scene could even be left as it is, but with more of Rory's monologue added and it would be much better.

Hell they could of left out showing the raped bodies but still have her force the guy to dig his own grave with his hands. (including the dialogue of course)
Jul 17, 2015 3:38 PM
Oct 2012
beast_regards said:
Anime adaptation was forced to compromise to keep the story intact and just have it acceptable for general populace. They want to make this a franchise and thus something that sells well.

Yes, that obviously, but I was talking about the difference in the impact between a single panel and animation.

Animation is more visceral, it makes it harder to remain detached from the situation. The rapists would have been moving, that alone would cause the impact to be different. Animation would have also shown the passage of time, which switches it from being purely shocking, to something you are participating in by watching. And depending on the time given, it has the problem of changing from realism to voyeurism.

Maybe I am the only one who thinks about the differences in a translation from one medium to another causes, maybe I think far far far too much about such things, but I enjoy thinking about such things.

As for the digging part: would have taken too long, they would have had to cut something else to do it. Plus, animation generally tones down the female characters; the producers want them to remain cute. Far better for marketing.
Jul 17, 2015 4:00 PM

Oct 2014
It seems 99% of criticism is just that it's "not exactly the same as another adaption".
Jul 17, 2015 4:09 PM

Jun 2014
GATE is becoming better by the week. I was surprised though that we saw all our main characters in this episode. I love Itami's character a lot. Also Rory is a beast :D. Everytime I hear the word apostle I think of Berserk. She is really powerful, at the beginning I thought she was bad, but now everything is clear. She is awesome. That dragon's CGI was done pretty well in my opinion.
Jul 17, 2015 4:34 PM

Mar 2015
Everyone seems to be comparing this with the manga. And I was like, is the manga 100% adaptation of the novel? Or did the manga exaggerates things that are in the novel? Because I'm sure this anime would follow the original adaptation, which is the novel. But who knows? Other than those 85 users who claimed to read the novel, no one actually knows if the manga follows the novel 100%

Jul 17, 2015 5:02 PM

May 2015
What a great episode. Currently really enjoying this show. This is one of the better shows this season in my opinion. I'm liking Itami as a character, and also the other characters. Also, the funny moments are fun to watch. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 17, 2015 5:51 PM

Dec 2014
Welp, Rory is amazing. Easily best girl. I don't even need to see more to know that!! xD
Jul 17, 2015 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
DarklordVor said:
Everyone seems to be comparing this with the manga. And I was like, is the manga 100% adaptation of the novel? Or did the manga exaggerates things that are in the novel? Because I'm sure this anime would follow the original adaptation, which is the novel. But who knows? Other than those 85 users who claimed to read the novel, no one actually knows if the manga follows the novel 100%
the LN is even worse than the manga in politics and gore. Especially right wing politics and anti-americanism and "Japan is the perfect society, it has done no wrong"
Jul 17, 2015 6:30 PM

May 2014
This anime keep surprising me :D !
But seriously, the dragon CG is really bad .. i was expecting more in this fight, but okay, the Loli badass fight made up for it xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2010
Goth Rory for the win.I imagine my reaction if i saw a real goth lolita would be similar to their's lol, or even more crazy.
Anyway, this is shaping up to be a VERY fun adventure.
Jul 17, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2014
All 3 heroines had good intros, that was surprising. This definitely my favorite anime of the year unless something else better than this pops up.
Jul 17, 2015 7:25 PM

Jan 2011
really good episode already feel Rory is best girl tier

had to check out her appearance in the manga...have to say that felt pretty important to leave out,also noticed the angles these bandits were getting cut at seem quite brutal was not wrong lol.
Jul 17, 2015 8:10 PM

Dec 2014
Nice episode. I still can't believe, Lelei is voiced by Nao Touyama. :)

That goth loli sitting on mc part. :3
Jul 17, 2015 8:13 PM

Jul 2014
After what was one of the worst first episodes ever to me, this show has really picked it up. Just from its strong story/plot (cause of the brilliant novel) this anime is going to be good but the past 2 epsodes had much better execution and were much enjoyable
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 17, 2015 8:18 PM

Jun 2013
Wow! Really good and intense episode! Its getting really good now!!
Jul 17, 2015 9:14 PM

Apr 2011
I'm interested to see how the people at Arnus react to the refugees.
Jul 17, 2015 9:25 PM
Oct 2012
abyss333 said:
After what was one of the worst first episodes ever to me, this show has really picked it up. Just from its strong story/plot (cause of the brilliant novel) this anime is going to be good but the past 2 epsodes had much better execution and were much enjoyable

I would be curious why you thought the first episode was so bad. It's what got me obsessed in this series (though I should say that I easily get obsessed, every start of a new cour has me reading new manga or novels like a junkie begging for his next fix).

That said, I can say that from here, the show should only get stronger. It has a good pace and the story lines are both interesting and fun.
Jul 17, 2015 9:48 PM
Jan 2014
Finally all the fantasy girls have been introduced :)

But my favorite girl is still
Jul 17, 2015 9:57 PM

Mar 2009
Really liked the episode.
I dont mind the changed character designs from the manga at all. I think Rory and Pina look better in the anime.

Already looking forward to next week.
Jul 17, 2015 10:41 PM

Sep 2013
Good thing they toned down the gore and violence in this adaptation. I prefer it like this.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 17, 2015 11:16 PM

Feb 2012
Gothic lolita is pretty cute and funny!! She's no. 1 so far but who knows, maybe elf girl could take the lead next episode since she didn't really have much screen time (aside from her sleeping) here.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 17, 2015 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
vanella96 said:
Newhopes said:

They cut alot of the darker stuff, those bandits had just killed a family including raping the wife and young daughter.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I was reading a bunch of comments about the cut out rape scene, but had no idea of the circumstances behind it.

To be fair, even in the manga, the rape of the family wasn't actually shown, it was more implied with the naked corpses of the wife and daughter, as well as the talk between the bandits themselves.

The toning down of the gore in the anime took a little getting used to, but overall I have to agree that it was necessary to get past the viewership rules. Same goes for the rape issue. I may not like it, but it was necessary unless they wanted this to be a Berserk-esque show (which I wouldn've welcomed actually).

Takuan_Soho said:

I'm of the same opinion of Takuan_Soho here. No matter how you record history, you cannot deny the brutality, the ugliness and lack of morality of people back then possessed in order to survive. That is the reality of the world, and to deny it would be to take away from the realism of a story such as this. The novel and the manga did really well in portraying human nature and the mechanics of a medieval world, where rape, murder and war for survival were rampant and villiagers and serfs were abused and manipulated for the selfish desires of those in power and those who sought power.
Toning down the gore, violence and sex may have allowed them to pass a Japanese Television ratings requirement, but it definitely decreases the realistic portrayal of the show's world setting.

I worry about how they're going to taunt the town defenders out to fight in the Italica Arc if they're not going to be showing
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 17, 2015 11:26 PM

Jun 2014
the gothic lolita is a bit unnatural to say the least

Itami was enjoying the ride :>
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 17, 2015 11:36 PM

Jan 2015
It seems like people forget that this is an adaptation not a 1:1 carbon copy. I see no benefit for viewers pleasure just to know that there was 1 rape scene and talk about necrophilia. From what I've read the anime improves upon the source material.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 17, 2015 11:44 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was executed and adapted very well so there's nothing much to say other than it was yet again a really good episode

However, I will say that like I feared, they really downplayed the introduction scene for Rory....In the manga that scene was brutal as fuck and it really added this sense of fear, despair and just pure brutality that surrounds Rory as a character and I feel like the added gore would have made the scene 1000 times more awesome

Also, I feel like them not exactly showing the bandits at least attack that family kinda made that scene underwhelming in the beginning since it seems as if she attacked them at random....Alas I understand why they had to tone it down a lot though :(
Jul 17, 2015 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
A goth loli called Loli Rory. Nuff said.

LOL that late shoulder check.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Jul 18, 2015 12:06 AM
Apr 2015
Replacing the brutality and any form of realism it had with more "moe" for pandering purposes is a bad idea. It almost feels i'm watching a comedy shounen instead of a mature seinen...

Why can't they do it like Berserk does?
Jul 18, 2015 12:10 AM
Jul 2018
frenze12 said:
Replacing the brutality and any form of realism it had with more "moe" for pandering purposes is a bad idea. It almost feels i'm watching a comedy shounen instead of a mature seinen...

Why can't they do it like Berserk does?

Because A-1 pictures. I mean at least the story and part of the characters personalities are still there.
Jul 18, 2015 12:18 AM

Dec 2011
Cant believe we get to see the main gurls already. ^_^

I want to see more of the other world's culture.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2015 12:51 AM

Jan 2011
No big surprise that the rape/murder scenes were not shown however I think they should have been a little clearer about what happened and why Rori slaughtered the bandits. It actually helps to understand just what she is (not entirely human) and how her actions are driven by the god she serves. It also would help to a set up some understanding about some of the importance of the princesses' squadron of knights and the contrast between the role of women in the Empire and in the JSDF (as you may have noticed the female soldiers in Itami's squad are among the most capable in his command).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 18, 2015 12:51 AM

Oct 2014
> tfw you trying to killed Giant Dragon with Assault Rifle and RPG

read from right to left
Jul 18, 2015 12:56 AM

Jun 2013
the wizard is a perv lol but why did you have to kill the horse damn
Jul 18, 2015 1:18 AM

Dec 2011
After reading all this,i can't help but go and read the manga instead of the anime.I found it okay as a whole but i need the edgyness after all.
Jul 18, 2015 1:32 AM

Nov 2014
Axelucard_ said:
the wizard is a perv lol but why did you have to kill the horse damn

Maybe it wasn't clear enough, but the horse was going to hit Lelei (most likely in the head), so it was either kill the horse or let it kick Lelei. This is the reason why she said "Those people.....They saved me."
Jul 18, 2015 1:38 AM

Feb 2015
This anime episode by episode is awesome. Goth loli and she likes the lt. :))
Jul 18, 2015 2:50 AM

Aug 2012
PG'ed the hell out of it and skipped out on a bit of content. *sigh*

Well at least Rory the gothic loli was introduced.
Jul 18, 2015 3:12 AM

Mar 2014
vangoz said:
Finally all the fantasy girls have been introduced :)

But my favorite girl is still
I love her too.
Jul 18, 2015 3:55 AM

Jul 2011
considering rory's character roles a lot like A LOT around sex,rape and extreme deaths, i fear that her character will be toned down incredibly... but at leasct she looks good, right?
Jul 18, 2015 4:22 AM

May 2013
Lelei and Rory are finally here! And elf girl is awake, too!
Red Dragon's entrance was pretty badass.
I wonder if we'll meet any other Apostles like Rory.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 18, 2015 5:15 AM

Dec 2011
amc9988Jul 18, 2015 5:24 AM
Jul 18, 2015 6:22 AM

Mar 2015
for everybody complain about edgy stuff, and blame A1. did everybody forgot that A1 doing shinsekai yori? they can do it, but they chose not to do it. and i think most of edgy thing in manga are useless, only bandit action in villagers scane are needed, (i am manga reader from first place since then). i think they do it for make this anime more watchable for wider audience. i enjoy it anime. if you don't like it, just stuck with manga. as simple as that.
i hope they also deleted useless edgy things again in trip to japan arc.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2015

436 by Rohanr »»
Mar 5, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

284 by kizeroch »»
Feb 23, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.