Forum Settings
Forums

Love isn't something you choose, it's something you fall into?

New
Jul 5, 2015 9:13 PM

May 2014
Thoughts?

EDIT: I was playing this otome game recently and one character there mentioned this. I was a bit kind of intrigued so I decided to make a thread about this : )
violityJul 5, 2015 10:04 PM
Jul 5, 2015 9:16 PM

Dec 2011
True, unfortunately I haven't felt through any possibilities yet.
Jul 5, 2015 9:23 PM

Apr 2014
If you had a choice though most people would like to fall in love with someone, but it's also true that you can't really choose who you can fall in love with, it's just something that happens.
Jul 5, 2015 9:25 PM

Aug 2014
Fall into.
Jul 5, 2015 9:27 PM

Aug 2009
Love is a social construct.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 5, 2015 9:41 PM

Dec 2014
Fall into, Love/Romance is implemented by nature to help life forms reproduce.
Is this where you live?

Jul 5, 2015 9:48 PM

Jan 2009
you can choose to ignore/reject it though, but ye it automatically comes
Jul 5, 2015 9:53 PM

Jun 2015
It kinda depends how easily you fall in love. If you fall in love incredibly easily, you could choose who you fall in love with, merely by choosing who you get close with.
Feel free to chat to me ~
Jul 5, 2015 9:57 PM

Jun 2015
I think it's both. Obviously, people have a mental filter on who they associate themselves with, who they give themselves a chance with. Certain values or pet peeves that you build up and convince yourselves of will affect who you're attracted to. The actual attraction isn't directly chosen, but there are certain activities and things you can choose that will determine who you'll fall into attraction with. And then the choice of whether you choose to act on the impulse will determine whether you have the chance of falling in love with that person. You have no choice when you fall in love per se, but the circumstances and terms that led to that point can be chosen.
Jul 5, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2013
IWubYou said:
I think it's both. Obviously, people have a mental filter on who they associate themselves with, who they give themselves a chance with. Certain values or pet peeves that you build up and convince yourselves of will affect who you're attracted to. The actual attraction isn't directly chosen, but there are certain activities and things you can choose that will determine who you'll fall into attraction with. And then the choice of whether you choose to act on the impulse will determine whether you have the chance of falling in love with that person. You have no choice when you fall in love per se, but the circumstances and terms that led to that point can be chosen.

Very well said.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jul 6, 2015 12:23 AM

Aug 2013
So's death.
Jul 6, 2015 12:28 AM

Apr 2013
I had a friend in high school and I was always mean to her, but we spent a lot of time together. Thinking about it now, we were probably a bad match and I never saw myself actually liking her, didn't have that intention to date her either. We ended up dating.

I can kinda believe in that.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Jul 6, 2015 12:30 AM

Jan 2013
Love is in the air
Jul 6, 2015 1:47 AM
Jul 2018
Choose wisely.
Jul 6, 2015 1:48 AM

Jun 2014
_Charl said:
Choose wisely.

Grab a waifu while choosing.
Jul 6, 2015 1:55 AM

Jul 2013
IWubYou said:

+1
Jul 6, 2015 2:22 AM

Mar 2014
Spooks_McBones said:
So's death.

Death is love.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 6, 2015 2:41 AM
May 2009
Have I ever fallen in Love..................
Problem is. Is routine love?
Jul 6, 2015 2:52 AM

Sep 2014
True.
I never chose to fall in love, and I most certainly never would. But I fell into the trap anyway, and came out emotionally scarred for life.
Love = life's cruellest joke.
Jul 6, 2015 2:55 AM

Mar 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
True.
I never chose to fall in love, and I most certainly never would. But I fell into the trap anyway, and came out emotionally scarred for life.

It wasn't love if it didn't last. Trust me, I've come out of the same.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 6, 2015 2:57 AM

Sep 2014
2-methylgeniol said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:
True.

Maybe not on his part, but I still think I love that guy, even though he wants nothing more to do with me any more.
Such is life, I guess.
Jul 6, 2015 2:59 AM

Jun 2014
Pretty much yeah, although i have yet to experience falling in love.
Jul 6, 2015 3:00 AM
Jun 2014
I can never fall in love with a woman because of the work I do, guys like me don't get that privilege, homie.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jul 6, 2015 3:01 AM

Mar 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
2-methylgeniol said:

Maybe not on his part, but I still think I love that guy, even though he wants nothing more to do with me any more.
Such is life, I guess.

I spent 3 weeks trying to make sense out of my story. Worst days of my life but they paid of. Have some self-esteem, raise your ego. You'll soon realize your own worth. You won't like him, in all probability, you might even start to hate him. Get your thoughts together, be decisive about your 'rights' and your 'wrongs'.

Life isn't like anything. Reality doesn't know the thing we call 'philosophy'. People try to explain life like its some unidimensional physical quantity. It's not, it's anything you make it out to be.
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 6, 2015 3:19 AM

Jun 2014
Reeceiam said:
IWubYou said:

Very well said.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jul 6, 2015 3:21 AM
Oct 2014
It's both, and more of a choice than people think, otherwise, you wouldn't see all white people getting married to other white people, rich people getting married to other rich people, etc. So it's not only something 'you fall into' inconsolably. How you were raised and cultural indoctrination, plays a big role too.
But it is still in our nature to be in love. There is objective good reasons to find a mate. Physical and mental intimacy is good for both psychological and physical health.

Jul 6, 2015 4:55 AM

Sep 2014
2-methylgeniol said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Such is life, I guess.

I spent 3 weeks trying to make sense out of my story. Worst days of my life but they paid of. Have some self-esteem, raise your ego. You'll soon realize your own worth. You won't like him, in all probability, you might even start to hate him. Get your thoughts together, be decisive about your 'rights' and your 'wrongs'.

Life isn't like anything. Reality doesn't know the thing we call 'philosophy'. People try to explain life like its some unidimensional physical quantity. It's not, it's anything you make it out to be.

I've already started to hate him, mostly for reasons other than rejecting my feelings (he was a terrible friend to me in the end, silly love confessions aside). But being the forgiving person I am, I still like him, though I admit my respect for him has almost dropped to being non-existent now.

I agree, life is just life, it isn't anything special on its own, it's only when people give it meaning that it seems greater than what it actually is.

Good response, thanks.

More topics from this board

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

12 by MalchikRepaid »»
5 minutes ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

46 by Hikinekomori »»
12 minutes ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - 10 hours ago

11 by KittenCuddler »»
19 minutes ago

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

35 by DesuMaiden »»
34 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Today

9 by Rurihime »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.