Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2015 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
I don't mind exposition as much when it's used to explain an idea or feeling, but I hate it when it's used to explain the story.
Jul 5, 2015 12:35 PM

Jun 2013
Exposition is the first key piece of a narrative arc, so yes I tend to prefer having exposition in stories I watch.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 5, 2015 12:38 PM

Mar 2015
depend on excecution, really. it useless or not. sometimes it really need, sometimes it's better make viewers thinking about it. mushishi have lot of both type.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 5, 2015 12:41 PM

Aug 2014
I would want someone to expose their feelings in a romance cause that's the whole point of the genre.
Jul 5, 2015 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
While I liked Tatami Galaxy, a bit of my enjoyment was brought down by the overwhelming amount of text concerning the thoughts of the protagonist and what not.
Man, was I exposed to shit in that anime.

So, I'm not against it, but it should be moderate. Shit like exposition belongs a bit more in books and VNs. Anime is a visual medium and it SHOULD show things (but let's not get carried away and have too much Ikuhara shit), in combination with some exposition to not stray too far away.
This is me talking in general, but flat out subtlety is alright, too. Especially in SOLs and romances.
Poltergeist18Jul 5, 2015 12:47 PM
Jul 5, 2015 12:47 PM

Jun 2014
I like it when exposition is used in parallel with subtlety and "show don't tell" since it adds more dimensions and POV and by implication depth and tension to different scenes. A good example being the Chimera Ant arc (later episodes.)
Jul 5, 2015 12:53 PM

Aug 2014
I don't mind exposition if it's well handled, but it can really impact my enjoyment if it turns into an infodump.

Show, don't tell is infinitely better and should be present in every anime.
VoidlingJul 5, 2015 1:12 PM
Jul 5, 2015 12:57 PM

Dec 2013
I'm actually not that against exposition as others, I mean, yes, sometimes out of place, overextended info dumps or smth similar are awkward but, for example, episode 4 of Shinsekai Yori is one of my favorites of the show and it was just 22 minutes of info dump. I dunno, I usually find myself gathering pointless info so maybe that's why exposition doesn't really bother me.
Jul 5, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2014
In SAO it's overused and it would have been better if they wove it into the plot more. However, in Mad Max there is little to no exposition which makes it hard to understand if you haven't seen the first two movies. Everything in moderation.
Jul 5, 2015 1:12 PM

Sep 2013
Every series should start with the birth of the universe and all the moments till the mc's birth and every detail of his life that way we can stop these expositions.

inb4bleach
ichii_1Jul 5, 2015 1:25 PM
Jul 5, 2015 1:20 PM

Oct 2014
Lancehot said:
zombie_pegasus said:
However, in Mad Max there is little to no exposition which makes it hard to understand if you haven't seen the first two movies. Everything in moderation.

Three movies
People don't seem to like the third movie so I didn't include it.
Jul 5, 2015 1:24 PM

Feb 2015
Very much depends on how much and when it's used. Like how Bleach does it is stupid, when after every time a character attacks they need to hold an episode long monologue to explain the awesomeness of the attack they just did and tell their enemy exactly what they need to know to counter it the next time.
Jul 5, 2015 1:27 PM

Dec 2012
As long as it's not overboard and dull like HxH's and UBW's, I'm okay with it, as it sometimes can be engaging.

I think a nice mix of them like in Monogatari series and Yahari is ideal.
Jul 5, 2015 1:32 PM

Jul 2012
Well, it's nice if it's a sport that you're unfamiliar with.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 though... That's when it actually gets irritating.
Jul 5, 2015 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
I do mind if it's overused.
Jul 5, 2015 3:43 PM

Nov 2014
Maybe exposition is so common in anime because it's cheaper to show a character talking than going through specific motions.

zombie_pegasus said:
However, in Mad Max there is little to no exposition which makes it hard to understand if you haven't seen the first two movies. Everything in moderation.

There are ways to tell stories without any exposition, or dialog—for that matter.

For instance, let's say you have a story about a detective who is tracking down a serial killer. A writer could either stop the story and have the detective explain their steps, or they could just show them taking those steps, which, in my opinion, would be a lot more interesting.
Jul 5, 2015 3:48 PM

Feb 2013
Idk, they just have to be talking about stuff I find interesting, like Goblin Box which was a cool mystery series but had 2 full episodes of some dudes talking about esoteric Japanese mythology. Didn't really sit well with me.
Jul 5, 2015 3:59 PM

Aug 2014
Digibro conveniently made a video kinda bout this. Show and tell!

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 5, 2015 6:59 PM

Nov 2014
black1blade said:
Digibro conveniently made a video kinda bout this. Show and tell!

Is this the video?

Jul 5, 2015 7:02 PM

May 2012
If it is done like in Legends, then no. A lot of the exposition was redundant.
Jul 5, 2015 8:47 PM

Jun 2013
aikaflip said:
Maybe exposition is so common in anime because it's cheaper to show a character talking than going through specific motions.

Or, maybe exposition is so common in most any medium because it's a key point of the narrative arc...

It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 5, 2015 9:15 PM

Nov 2014
YandereTheEmo said:
aikaflip said:

Or, maybe exposition is so common in most any medium because it's a key point of the narrative arc...

In the beginning or middle, sure, but not throughout the whole story. Excessive exposition is often referred to as shitty writing infodumping.
Jul 6, 2015 11:18 AM

May 2015
BIG NO.

Almost all of Digimon Adventure is exposition. I hate it. Let me figure things out on my own, and leaving a little mystery is okay. I love that the Angels' reason for attack is never made clear in NGE. It makes them more mysterious and frightening.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 6, 2015 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
BIG NO.

Almost all of Digimon Adventure is exposition. I hate it. Let me figure things out on my own, and leaving a little mystery is okay. I love that the Angels' reason for attack is never made clear in NGE. It makes them more mysterious and frightening.

No, it just made it annoying. Reasons for actions that are central to the plot are almost always necessary. Stuff like the angels in NGE come off like the author simply forgot or was lazy.

OT: Exposition is fine as long as it is interesting. If it is like Greed Island in HxH then it's just painful.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 6, 2015 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
I like it both, if it is done right that is.
Jul 6, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2013
It's not in anime form yet, but when Unohana went ban-kai in bleach and didn't explain her powers, everyone kept btching about it even thou they don't want exposition :( the double standards.
Jul 6, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2015
I don't enjoy exposition, but to be fair, I think you should change the options to have a more neutral tone. Frankly, I can tell which side you're on from just the options.
Jul 6, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2014
I have a working brain, I don't need exposition to figure out what's going on
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 6, 2015 3:50 PM

Oct 2013
Exposition is fine as long as its interesting. But it shouldn't be overdone like in hxh 2011. Its like they were explaining something to a baby.
Jul 6, 2015 3:52 PM

Jul 2013
it depends a lot on the kind of story
sometimes there isn's such exposition and the show is poorly done, so you don't get what's happening, which doesn't really matters cause usually in these situations there's also a bad plot

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

66 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
58 seconds ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 1 hour ago

9 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 35 minutes ago

8 by Dije »»
3 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 2 hours ago

4 by Angelblue1852 »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7157 by Angelblue1852 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.