Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Dec 18, 2015 4:19 PM
Feb 2015
That last concert was fucking awesome

The visuals, the audio, everything was perfect
Dec 22, 2015 1:17 PM
Dec 2013
I mean, it said they got gold, but was it a dud gold like in the beginning? And the announcer didn't even specify whether then will be entering the Kansan competition or not. Maybe I'm just dense but is the ending supposed to be open like that, or did they get through.
Dec 28, 2015 6:35 PM

Feb 2013
There wasn't a whole lot to this episode, but I don't think there had to be. The characters already had their trials and drama worked out and now it was finally time to lay out the fruits of their sacrifice. I came out of this with a smile on my face since I don't think the show could've stuck the landing better so this finale gets a gold from me.

Nationals-hen let's go!
Dec 29, 2015 4:48 AM
Apr 2015
As a musician, the attention to detail in this anime was fucking fantastic (all the instruments looked right when they were being played, with maybe an exception for trumpet as they all looked like they had relaxed facial muscles as they were playing). I'm guessing they used professional musicians for the music, but the way they played was pretty realistic for high school students (which is to be expected, but you notice things that most others wouldn't if you know the normal mistakes of high school students). I kinda cried a bit, but really because coming third in nationals in high school was the best feeling in my life and I kinda relived it here. Awesome stuff.

Also, that crisis that Kumiko had with trying to get better and struggling at it? Every musician goes through that, and if they go professional then they will likely go through it hundreds of times. The dispute and politics over who should play solo trumpet? That always happens in high school bands.
Jan 3, 2016 1:29 AM
Dec 2015
I was pretty iffy about watching this anime but I loved it! The finale was exactly what I needed. Overall this anime had beautiful artwork and I loved how they were able to realistically portray how bands works. I give this a solid 9/10.
Jan 13, 2016 1:54 PM

Nov 2009
I feel sooo emotional now, my hands are trembling... It legitimately made me feel like I was right there. KyoAni is so good at what it does, damn. Everything else was... I can't put into words. This is a masterpiece, no doubt.
So happy that there will be a second season (and a movie?), but this would have been an amazing finale either way.
10/10

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jan 15, 2016 6:51 AM

Jun 2009
i guess it was pretty decent. the best parts of the anime were when taki-sensei smacked down the band as a whole or individual students and, of course when they actually played music.

nodame cantabile is still unmatched in the music genre.

6/10
Jan 27, 2016 3:43 PM

Nov 2010
Really enjoyed this episode. The whole anime had a nice pacing through it, very chilled out for the most part, but I felt nervous for the band just before they started playing! All in all pretty nice. Lovely to see that the animation quality stayed superb until the end.
Jan 28, 2016 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
Tyestor said:

Had an other look because of the specials and I think the creators of Hibike have done a good job. The -unfinished- series has already taken a place not that far behind Nodame although I too prefer that series (In all its forms).

Nodame, you may have noticed but I only just did, will be getting a new one-shot manga chapter, to be released February 25, 2016. Really excited about stumbling onto that news...
Jan 28, 2016 12:24 AM

Jun 2009
VersoSciolto said:
Tyestor said:

Nodame, you may have noticed but I only just did, will be getting a new one-shot manga chapter, to be released February 25, 2016. Really excited about stumbling onto that news...

Wait, what? No, I did not notice. This is music to my ears.

Pun fucking intended.
Jan 28, 2016 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
Tyestor said:

Wait, what? No, I did not notice. This is music to my ears. Pun fucking intended.

I've added a thread for the topic on the Nodame manga board including an ANN link.

P.S. It is Live action but you might also like to hear that Aozora Yell is getting an adaptation...
removed-userJan 28, 2016 12:42 AM
Feb 7, 2016 2:08 PM

Nov 2007
Great show. I'm expecting a movie to conclude the nationals part and to reveal whatever Asuka is hiding.
Feb 26, 2016 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
This show made me want to play my sax, which I have not touched in years. It's cute, and easy going. The pain is real with practice and cuts. However I think it needed something. Some more dramatic elements, or reveal, just something. They posed this tension between Oumae and her sister but never developed it which made it feel unnecessary to even be included. But I guess now that it's getting a second season maybe they will touch on it.

I enjoyed myself, even though it was pretty basic. I'll give it a weak 7/10

Glad they made it to nationals, it would have been nice to hear some of their competition a bit though.
Apr 7, 2016 4:47 PM

Feb 2015
A wonderful ending. I'm really going to miss this anime. 8.5/10
May 10, 2016 4:24 PM
Aug 2013
is the piece/song before Crescent Moon Dance "Provence no Kaze" the real title of the song? Is it an actual piece/song??
May 10, 2016 4:26 PM
Aug 2013
And yes GREAT ANIME
one of the music genre anime i can get on with like hella
op and ed are good
characters are also great
art is as always very beautiful

I actually cant wait for the next season and stuff
Jun 4, 2016 4:03 AM

Feb 2016
just finish all of eps in 2 days and this series is freaking awesome. i was so sad that i didnt watch this masterpiece from kyoani last year. I cant say anything after finish last ep. just one word to this anime.... PERFECT!!
Jun 21, 2016 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
Tyestor said:

6/10

Have to agree and I think I realized it within the first few episodes but I continued watching in case it developed into something. Being a big fan of Nodame Cantabile & a musician I watch a bunch of music themed anime. This was a little too slice of life for my taste and hinted at a few things that never came to fruition. It never really made me feel anything but it was cute. 5/10
Such junk...
Jul 16, 2016 4:09 AM

Jun 2015
That was a great performance at the end. For a second I thought they had lost though.
:)
Jul 25, 2016 2:43 PM

Jun 2007
I've never been in any sort of band but now I really want to... i got an electric guitar and a classical one but now I want to play something like.... a tubacabra
hope this goes away i'm 28 for gods sake

really loved this animay. music, art, story... characters Kumiko, Reina and Asuka are unique and truly precious. i also really cherish realistic and unusual for anime moments
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jul 29, 2016 11:13 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was all I wanted from the show. What an amazing performance.
Jul 30, 2016 7:34 AM
Jul 2016
The episode was great and all but I couldn't stop thinking about how "Gambarou, ne" sounded like an Italian dish. Gambaroune sounds delicious.
Aug 7, 2016 4:35 PM
Sep 2013
Just binged this series.

Gotta say that it is pretty good but fuck it, man.. the blue balling with the yuri ship is just too strong. I hate those kind of stuffs. *sigh*
Aug 11, 2016 12:43 PM
May 2010
Very very good series, loved the character interactions, how each character was their own person, how the mood in various groups could change without it seemingly affecting other random groupings. I think it's done very well in capturing that spirit of bands in high school without focusing too much on just one thing, keeping relationships kinda murky, and possibly setting up for a bit of interpersonal drama later. After all, they're still in high school and feelings are plentiful there, overflowing in many different manners. I'm glad there will be a second season and looking forward to the group getting to the nationals. Most likely, they might get bronze or silver but it will still be an amazing achievement for the group!
Aug 17, 2016 6:19 PM

Aug 2012
-*prod* *prod*
-Seems like the band members are wearing different uniforms whether they're performing or not
-The scene of the band members who weren't playing in the competition handing out good luck charms to the actual performers felt very band-like
-Even Taki is getting fired up
-The Azusa girl makes a cameo, and it wasn't until after I watched the episode that I remembered that the last time Kumiko and Azusa ran into each other was during SunFes when Kumiko declared that she got the new start she was looking for. Back in episode 5, when she said that, I wasn't convinced that was true at all, but since Reina and Kumiko were on much better terms at the end of this episode than they were during episode 5, I can actually believe that Kumiko found what she was looking for.
-That's a crazy detailed pre-performance tuning session
-Small speech from Taki reminding them where they all came from
-That was a super detailed performance sequence, and it was pretty breathtaking both aesthetically and musically
-Playing a wind orchestra version of the OP during the end credits was cheating since I'm a total sucker for instrumental covers of vocal songs. I loved even more because it was thematically appropriate to the show.

Pretty nostalgic episode overall with all of the preparation for the Kitauji concert band's most important event so far. The effort that was put into animating and recording their competition performance (compared to the other scenes in the show) was a testament to how important the competition was to the band members. The rest of the episode leading up to the performance also generally had a culminating feel to them, which is fitting for the last episode of the season. The ending wasn't as flashy as I'd hoped, but I think it totally nailed the whole atmosphere behind their competition performance.

General comments about the show:

TL;DR: Realistic progression, nostalgia value with the musical stuff, and the atmosphere of a bunch of characters working together toward a common goal were the merits of the show, but a bunch of unnecessary scenes made the show feel empty pretty often.
Aug 19, 2016 12:14 AM

Nov 2010
Really fun and enjoyable Anime.

I hope the second season doesn't fail and as much good.

7/10
Aug 24, 2016 1:47 PM

Feb 2015
This series, looks real imo. the character interaction, character personality and character development although they made it a bit rushed sometimes imo. but overall, i really enjoy it a lot especially with dat kind of animation.

This finale episode, i can even feel the nervousness xD
But even tho all of them were nervous, i like it that they can still keep calm and play it with a very smooth sound. especially dat solo xD i'm getting to like it xD

tbh, i'm very surprised to see something that looks real like reality from kyoani. kinda rare to see something like that. i mean, the moment when the teacher got mad, when other student clashed between each other opinions, arguement, fights, and some other more, how they made that, it looked real in my eyes. basically, i have seen something like that in real life, thus why i said it looked real. although i don't kinda like that kind of situation or atmosphere when they clash each other with opinions, fight, teacher got mad, the atmosphere is getting terrible, rather than i don't like it, more like i hate it a lot. but if i put that aside, i think they made it very well. even some of the characters have rather unique personality in my eyes. for example the main character. i don't know how to describe it but she is kinda uniqe to me.

talk about the song, personally, and honestly, i'm not that interested in that kind of song (it's a song right ?) but from watching every episode from episode 1, well, i think it's kinda nice to hear it view times. lol, the first song in the first episode, i think the name of the song is "heaven and hell" if i'm not wrong ? man...i really like that one. i was hoping they will play it again but obviously nope xD but i really want them to play it xD

and last, i want to talk abou the romance which what i was talking about, the part where it got rushed. yeah....it's sweet and i like it a lot but i still think it was rushed. i didn't even expect her to confess suddenly like that...XD but somehow i'm glad that he rejected her. lol, that's cruel xD cause tbh, i want him to end up with the main character xD nice match xD

well, overall, i enjoyed the show. the animation is superb. seriously, it's one of the best animation from kyoani since hyouka. just a little bit different on the atmosphere. 9/10 from me. spesifically, 8.6/10

LOOKING FOWARD TO THE NEXT SEASON!!! XD
Sep 15, 2016 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Decent series. Taki sensei moments were great, but seriously annoying teen drama somtimes for romantic subplot. Liked how it ended, matching up with ep 1. A solid 7/10 from me, career themed anime are always welcome.
Sep 26, 2016 8:22 PM

Apr 2016
StevenHu said:
This show might have had a very rocky start balancing its cast of characters as well as its variety of tones and atmospheres, but it really stood on its own two feet by the last few episodes with each exceeding the previous in quality.

Yeah, gotta agree with this. Frankly the first half of this series was painfully boring at times, and it took forever for the characters to get off the ground; however, the second half was almost everything I hoped the show would be in the beginning. I went from thinking that skipping the second season would be a foregone conclusion to kinda looking forward to it. Go figure.

Overall, this is pretty hard to evaluate. It's either a 6 or a 7, but I have no idea which. I'll let it sit for a while. Hoping the second season takes all the good parts of the first and makes them into the great series I know this can be.
Oct 6, 2016 8:11 AM

Apr 2015
Still criminally underrated.
Oct 10, 2016 2:51 PM
Oct 2016
why hibike don't have violin?
Oct 13, 2016 7:46 AM

May 2016
I started watching season 1 because season 2 was airing now.

The show really struck a chord with me. I have always wanted to be in a band but i never had the talent to unfortunately. (went for tryouts before)

At the same time, i have a close friend who has been in band since the equivalent of middle school and we have always been very supportive of him.

All that coupled with the fact that i am an audiophile who deeply respects music and is at the same time a yurifag, this show easily made it to my personal #1 of all time.

What an amazing find and what a great show. 10/10
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴ ┬┴┬┴┤ʕ•ᴥ├┬┴┬┴
Oct 31, 2016 4:55 PM

Jul 2010
Finally, a show where we get a full performance where the music really shines, unlike Shigatsu with its endless inner monologues. Reina's solo was breathtaking.

I wasn't really going to watch this, as I had a less than optimal experience with recent musical anime, but I'm glad I did. The yuri (or, implied, whatever) was a little sudden and over-the-top for me, butt I really loved everything else. 8/10
Nov 18, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2012
I usually don't watch this kind of anime but this was highly enjoyable, especially since I used to play an instrument in a small orchestra in secondary school. I played the alto saxophone but I was nowhere near as serious or good as the members of the Wind Ensemble but still, it makes me feel nostalgic.

8/10
Nov 23, 2016 11:31 AM

Jun 2008
A LOT better than I expected (I'm talking about the series)...

And as someone who DID play in a concert band in Middle/High School....I can tell you that they got a lot of things right.

Although....there are a few things I can say that they also got wrong.

But overall, this was much more enjoyable than I expected.....and that's that it also has the ONE thing I absolutely hate from anime (Teenage Angsty melodrama).

In the end though....they did an amazing job....especially the art and animation, but that's to be expected from Kyoani.

A very solid 8/10....I hate the fact I didn't watch this series as it was airing.
Nov 27, 2016 3:16 PM

Sep 2016
I never thought this anime is actually about music, i mean, actual music lol
pretty surprising and great since I'm also musician, even though brass band is foreign to me
everyone likes reina x kumiko but for me it's really weird. their relationship went from 0 to 100 out of sudden. and reina never actually joined kumiko gang and stayed anti social emo for the entire of series smh

best guy: arima kousensei lookalike
best girl: natsuki senpai

no-epilogue ending is pissing me off, fortunately i can go straight to season 2
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 9, 2016 5:04 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful and specting episode ;) GOLD!!!!!! and with the gold arrive the second season!!!!

In general is a beatiful series, very complicated, more characters with a normal plot, but a nice draw, and complicate too because draw instruments is very difficult!!!!

9/10 for this first season!!!!1
Dec 11, 2016 12:52 PM
Jul 2016
So they won, awesome. I really had fun watching it
Dec 17, 2016 1:03 AM

Sep 2016
yess loved this episode many iconic moments, nothing felt rushed or out of context everything fit perfectly congrats kitauji time to move on in the competition and time for season 2 woop this gets a 8.5/10
Facta Non Verba
Jan 3, 2017 12:02 AM

Jan 2012
Great anime! reminded me of my high school days.

It just lacks a rival for them to compete against.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 3, 2017 11:07 AM

Sep 2014
The show was Absolutely Magnificent. The build up of the story was really good.
What I liked the most about this anime was the development of the characters, all the characters were good but Kumiko-chan was just exceptionally good. Honestly I cannot appreciate this Enough. Thanks Kyo-Ani for such a Wonderful Experience.
Jan 14, 2017 2:27 PM

Dec 2014
It's a bit better than I expected it to be.

The animation throughout the entire series was just omg. Seriously the best I could ask for in any anime.

The ending was so nice, I was confused on if they had won or not but then it became clear. I'm so watching the next season to find out if they go to nationals.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Feb 6, 2017 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
Well this was a very enjoyable feel-good ride. There were still some imperfections of course.
The first conflict resolution, (ambitious people vs laid-back ones) didn't feel very fulfilling. There were some weird transitions between scenes, especially in the early episodes. Episode 5 felt rushed and its ending lacked the impact I feel it was supposed to have. The whole drama for the trumpet solo was unnecessary and redundant.

However it never felt tedious to watch at any point. Most events were foreseeable but still satisfactory. Characters were very fleshed out, definitely the strong point of the show. Also, I liked how half of the last episode was just an uninterrupted representation that called back every conflict that appeared throughout the show and showed its resolution with subtlety.

Overall very enjoyable. 8/10
Apr 21, 2017 6:25 AM

Jun 2013
The episode of payoffs and new beginnings. Couldn't really top episode 8, but that would have been extremely difficult. Gorgeous looking finale to a gorgeous looking show, that lets you go with a smile on your face. This is one of those times where the journey was a lot more important than the destination, and in a way, the journey is not over yet. In fact, it's only just begun.

LeeTailorApr 21, 2017 6:30 AM
Jun 23, 2017 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
That was an awful way to end the anime with a sequel hook.
Oct 25, 2017 3:21 PM

Oct 2015
To those anime creators this is how an anime is made with spectacular visuals, great plot and great characters. I am really really over the moon they made it to nationals, now no more that dud gold she experienced at middle school. My favorite was Reina she set the anime for me with a clear objective from the first episode and that is to make it to nationals and be special, that inspired Kumiko to follow after she heard her at the solo re-audition.

I loved this anime so much that I will place it in the favorite and no need to ask me if I will watch s2 because HEELLL YEAH. 9/10.
lihle808Oct 25, 2017 3:24 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 10, 2017 2:45 PM

Nov 2016
This was highly enjoyable and an easy recommendation. The art was beautiful as always, the OST was nice, and the characters are cute. I think I somewhat preferred this to K-On season one.
Feb 11, 2018 5:24 AM

Dec 2015
And so their piece goes on!

Probably my favourite Kyoani series to date, it's just insane how incredibly detailed everything was. Everything was depicted perfectly from start to finish; from tuning to heading out the door, seeing the massive audience to the twinkling dust on the stage.

It was also fitting for kyoani to set the venue at the Kyoto Concert Hall. Hope the good vibes continue with s2.
~
Apr 20, 2018 6:53 PM

Nov 2016
This was so good and a nice contrast to the opening segment in episode one.

Really enjoyed to accompany the band on their journey so far and I'm sure that will continue in S2.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 30, 2018 3:41 PM

Sep 2016
2nd rewatch freakingg lovee itt great characters lovely atmosphere kyoto thank you for making hibike now to rewatch s2 so i can get to le new movie airing soon
Facta Non Verba
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

452 by Pandazzle »»
Apr 7, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2015

180 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 24, 6:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.