Forum Settings
Forums

why can't anime fans explain their own opinions?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2015 12:25 AM

May 2015
PrOxAnto said:
Oh you mean this message you left on a Neon Genesis Evangelion forum thread?

SNKFanboy said:
never, it sucked, whyd i want to go back and rewatch it?
WTF??? LEL
PoeticJustice said:
keragamming said:

Oh really now..... You sure explain yourself well when you talk about snk.

You must be a glutton for punishment. I could write you several paragraphs as to why attack on titan is not good. It isn't that hard.
Can I join with ya?
Jun 30, 2015 12:32 AM
Mar 2011
Because nobody likes my favorite animus and that's why I never talk about with anyone. So I don't need to explain anything. For this reason my explaining skills suck.
Jun 30, 2015 12:34 AM

May 2012
Kagumayo said:

PoeticJustice said:

You must be a glutton for punishment. I could write you several paragraphs as to why attack on titan is not good. It isn't that hard.
Can I join with ya?

Everyone can join in!
Jun 30, 2015 12:36 AM

Oct 2010

How many people do you know here in MAL? Have you checked in every thread and every post? Discussion in MAL is far from being limited; the problem if anything is that it is sporadic. That is, it will usually involve two or three users answering each other in a larger thread.

There are many reasons for this to happen and the most obvious one is that making thoughtful discussions requires a mood, and an effort, that people are not always into. A forum is a place to hang around and talk about stuff, not a site to make essays and get your opinions confronted 100% of the time, unless you are in a place about Animesuki that has specific rules against "meaningless talk" and sacrifices activity (it's not even close to MAL's) for a wholly debated-focused community with very few people involved in comparison. People mentioned ANN but the activity there is, again, not even close to the one we have in MAL. At some points there may be more posts per day in a debate club here than there are in the anime subforum of ANN.

Also and as people already pointed this is hardly an exclusive problem of the anime community. Check film forums, sports forums, music forums, etc.; people hang around, they say very often "well, I disagree", "well, this is your opinion, I have mine". Maybe because structuring and analyzing stuff in a debate form requires an effort that not everybody is ready to assume at every moment of their online interactions.
Jun 30, 2015 12:47 AM

Nov 2014
they can you fucking idiot
kill yourself
Jun 30, 2015 12:54 AM
Feb 2014
We live in times where in this community the unpopular opinion claims to be the one oppressed but is actually the oppressors. I call that self-fulfilling prophecy at its finest and nothing but irony and more irony.

And this fanbase is full of losers so if you have the balls to say what you want, do it and don't worry about them. Anime discussion is not competitive nor is it academic. You really think you can go far in life because your opinion on a Japanese cartoon medium triumphs all? Please keep it to yourself.
Jun 30, 2015 12:57 AM

Mar 2013
TheBasedNico said:
We live in times where in this community the unpopular opinion claims to be the one oppressed but is actually the oppressors. I call that self-fulfilling prophecy at its finest and nothing but irony and more irony.

And this fanbase is full of losers so if you have the balls to say what you want, do it and don't worry about them.

O-onii chan...I love you in an incestuous sort of way...must be the quality of your posts...

ALL PRAISE THEBASEDNICO.

No but seriously...you are the firefly in the midst of foggy darkness that is the MAL community.
Jun 30, 2015 12:59 AM

Oct 2012
Many people are either unable or unwilling to go into depth about any subject, this is especially true when it comes to anime given its demographic. The anime community in general consists of a lot of immature and insecure younger people and as a result the discussion is usually much more casual. There's nothing wrong with casual discussion and not everything elicits a detailed response, but it becomes problematic when a person says "X show sucks" because it's only natural to expect some reasoning behind that kind of statement. People are dumb and lazy.

Jun 30, 2015 1:00 AM
Feb 2014
PeripheralVision said:
TheBasedNico said:

And this fanbase is full of losers so if you have the balls to say what you want, do it and don't worry about them.

O-onii chan...I love you in an incestuous sort of way...must be the quality of your posts...

ALL PRAISE THEBASEDNICO.

No but seriously...you are the firefly in the midst of foggy darkness that is the MAL community.

Should be "Thank You Based Nico." But my pleasure, I normally don't express my gratitude online, but if you truly enjoy my posts. I'm legitimately happy you do.
Jun 30, 2015 1:07 AM

Mar 2015
It's hard to explain in the medium of language what exactly causes us to perceive things in a positive manner versus negative manner. It's something that I try my best at, but it takes a lot of effort and I'm still figuring stuff out.
Jun 30, 2015 1:09 AM
May 2015
But what if I actually think something like Battle Royale wasn't that good, that it is over hyped and was trying to be edgy more than creating a good story?

I could say the same about Game of Thrones btw, gratuitous so it can get attention rather than actually being good. (Although I actually enjoy it none the less).
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Jun 30, 2015 1:15 AM

Oct 2012
TheBasedNico said:
Anime discussion is not competitive nor is it academic. You really think you can go far in life because your opinion on a Japanese cartoon medium triumphs all? Please keep it to yourself.
That's neither here nor there though. People should be able to articulate their opinions, that's just good discussion.

Jun 30, 2015 1:16 AM

Mar 2013
Fizix said:
But what if I actually think something like Battle Royale wasn't that good, that it is over hyped and was trying to be edgy more than creating a good story?

I could say the same about Game of Thrones btw, gratuitous so it can get attention rather than actually being good. (Although I actually enjoy it none the less).

I actually like Battle Royale and hated Game of Thrones. Battle Royale took and interesting premise and played it straight, thus the entertainment value while exploring what may cause kids to turn on each other and the value of friendship, and what people, particularly teenagers, do in times of cheap death and facing death. This is epitomize when that guy attempt to rape that runner girl and she ends up killing him. It just goes to show that instead of banning together, people just want to have sex, particularly teenagers.

For example, the most fascinating part was how most people didn't even play the game. but banded together, only to be thwarted by mistrust or the other people actually playing it, like the slut girl or the psycho guy. Sure, were there a lot of deaths? Yeah, but did it play it straight and entertaining? That's up to the viewer, but I think it played it reasonably well.

Meanwhile Game of Throne is pushing a rather cynical and nihilistic view on the reader, while running plotlines that usually are resolved by the death of the character traveling it, which in my opinion is a pretty cheap way to end it. These threads go no where, so why even begin?
Jun 30, 2015 1:17 AM

Mar 2015
SNKFanboy said:
it seems to me that most people can't properly explain their views on anime and instead oftentimes reuse arguments others have used or resort to meaningless buzzwords like "edgy" in describing something etc.

its all fine to have opinions towards things but why is it that this anime community seems almost wholly incapable of articulating themselves in discussions,and can't explain their views? for an example we'll take an anime that is commonly viewed as being 'edgy' or bad,like snk, but when u try to discuss with them why they view it as bad they are incapable of doing so,and any contrary views to the popular or "cool" one will earn u countless "funny" comments about how bad ur taste is without any actual proper explanation.
PrOxAnto said:
Oh you mean this message you left on a Neon Genesis Evangelion forum thread?
SNKFanboy said:
never, it sucked, why'd i want to go back and rewatch it?
oh look! IRONY.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 30, 2015 1:19 AM

Mar 2015
Shrabster said:
TheBasedNico said:
Anime discussion is not competitive nor is it academic. You really think you can go far in life because your opinion on a Japanese cartoon medium triumphs all? Please keep it to yourself.
That's neither here nor there though. People should be able to articulate their opinions, that's just good discussion.

But when our opinions at the core are really just "X made me feel good", "Y irritated me", etc, it's not as easy as you make it sound. It forces people to resort to dishonest "objective" measures (dishonest in that they aren't true to their actual personal feelings about the works).
Jun 30, 2015 1:30 AM
Feb 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Shrabster said:

But when our opinions at the core are really just "X made me feel good", "Y irritated me", etc, it's not as easy as you make it sound. It forces people to resort to dishonest "objective" measures (dishonest in that they aren't true to their actual personal feelings about the works).

Thanks, Shrabster, while I appreciate his challenges to me, always uses the same argument that I see as flat and lacking alternative. No anime fan wants to be dishonest while debating and if they feel forced to be dishonest just to people-please how does it make them feel in the end? Do they really have to turn into who they're not?

I'm grateful I've stayed true to my own arguments and insights regarding anime, but I know very well some "casuals" are weak and turn into "elitists" because they feel weak and want "strengthening" anime to make them seem smarter.
Jun 30, 2015 1:31 AM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
Shrabster said:

Giving reasons for why you believe something hardly means you're being dishonest to how you feel.
ShrabsterJun 30, 2015 1:35 AM

Jun 30, 2015 1:35 AM
Feb 2014
Shrabster said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Giving reasons for why you believe something hardly means you're being dishonest to you how feel.

You really can't be this dense.

Not all anime fans are a singular entity and taste does not define psychological build for the most part. It's self-esteem that defines how anime fans feel in the long run.
Jun 30, 2015 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
Christ OP look at your reviews. It's the definition of being inarticulate

Jun 30, 2015 1:40 AM

Aug 2014
Yes, edgy is a pretty fun and common buzzword, but so is pretentious which you happened to use in one of your few reviews. You dismissed something as much as someone else had done it with something else. Yes, again, edgy is overused as a buzzword, but also, it's not like there isn't a bit of edge in every little darker or gory show.

For example, some time has passed since I watched Fate/Zero and I enjoyed watching the show, but one of the problems I had with it is Kiritsugu, his absence in the biggest part of the story, his abrupt entrance into it, and his past. Oh, and Caster and the killer were pretty edgy, too.

I feel like my "edgy" is at least a little bit explained. You can use the damn word and still give reasoning. Heck, Texhnolyze is edge, too. A lot of stuff is so much edge I cut my fucking fingers on them a lot.

As to why people can't explain their opinions... Fuck me if I know why, I haven't been around for too long to see too many of them that don't explain shit. There seems to be a nice number of quality posters here, which I'm not a part of because I'm a bit of a lazy ass...

Oh, and... If you can be that much up your ass with your opinion and still make this thread, let others' be up their own asses with their opinions.
Poltergeist18Jun 30, 2015 1:55 AM
Jun 30, 2015 1:40 AM

Mar 2015
Shrabster said:
Giving reasons for why you believe something hardly means you're being dishonest to how you feel.

I don't "believe" my favorites are anything really; I just know that I love my favorites. Until I understand all the reasons and can explain them in English, I mainly just have to accept my love of the anime at face value. And as I am no divine being, it's pretty damn hard to ever reach that point where I can output all my feelings rationally. We're humans not robots.
Jun 30, 2015 1:42 AM

Jul 2010
Yeah, that does annoy me, even though I'm guilty of doing that here and there, too. Although I seem to only do that here of all places. Perhaps it's just the incredibly negative atmosphere. It's almost hard to talk about the stuff you like without someone shitting all over your taste. Hell, most of the threads I see here are usually negative.

Also, there's too many sarcastic, smart-ass, joke-y comments. It makes it almost impossible to have a decent, serious discussion. It just feels like a waste of time to articulate my point.
Jun 30, 2015 1:44 AM

Mar 2013
Zeally said:

Seems fine to me, but maybe my reviews are just as bad as well.
Jun 30, 2015 1:47 AM

Oct 2012
TheBasedNico said:
You really can't be this dense.
I mean this with the utmost respect, but you really can't be this bad at reading comprehension.

TheBasedNico said:
Not all anime fans are a singular entity and taste does not define psychological build for the most part. It's self-esteem that defines how anime fans feel in the long run.
When did this become a debate about taste? This literally has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

AttackOnTetris said:
I don't "believe" my favorites are anything really; I just know that I love my favorites. Until I understand all the reasons and can explain them in English, I mainly just have to accept my love of the anime at face value. And as I am no divine being, it's pretty damn hard to ever reach that point where I can output all my feelings rationally. We're humans not robots.
We have reasoning, we should use it. Just because we may not understand why things appeal to us at the most complex of levels doesn't mean we should all just shitpost with no logic or reasoning.
ShrabsterJun 30, 2015 1:53 AM

Jun 30, 2015 1:54 AM

Mar 2015
Shrabster said:
AttackOnTetris said:
We have reasoning, we should use it. Just because we may not understand why things appeal to us at the most complex of levels doesn't mean we should all just shitpost with no logic or reasoning.

That's a false dichotomy if I've ever seen one. Maybe you really are dense.
Jun 30, 2015 1:56 AM

Apr 2012
PeripheralVision said:
Zeally said:

Jesus it's like he intentionally made his sentences obnoxious and terrible with 0 fluidity. Yea anime reviews aren't college papers, but jeez did he even put any effort in it?

Jun 30, 2015 1:57 AM

Aug 2014
Zeally said:
PeripheralVision said:

Jesus it's like he intentionally made his sentences obnoxious and terrible with 0 fluidity. Yea anime reviews aren't college papers, but jeez did he even put any effort in it?

Maybe he is just trolling... Who knows...
Jun 30, 2015 1:58 AM

Mar 2013
Zeally said:
PeripheralVision said:

I was talking about the points he made, not about professional look. I could tell that at a glance.
Jun 30, 2015 2:00 AM

Mar 2015
simple answers. you will don't get argument if you don't start a statement.

now, this is statement.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 30, 2015 2:02 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:

now, this is statement.

Fanboys can still tend to attack made statements rather than give arguments. Gotta watch out for those.
Jun 30, 2015 2:05 AM

Mar 2015
Poltergeist18 said:
Unyilkdr said:

now, this is statement.
Fanboys can still tend to attack made statements rather than give arguments.
how can you get attacking statement, if you not even start a statement first?
Jun 30, 2015 2:07 AM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
Then what are you suggesting if not articulating opinions and giving reason, which you claim forces one to be dishonest. If you remember I said- "People should be able to articulate their opinions, that's just good discussion." You've done nothing to address this except say "it's hard". You can give a well reasoned and articulated opinion without the ultimate comprehensive guide as to why humans respond to everything the way they do. Try sticking to the argument and not ad hominem.
ShrabsterJun 30, 2015 2:36 AM

Jun 30, 2015 2:08 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
Poltergeist18 said:
Fanboys can still tend to attack made statements rather than give arguments.

You can start a statement, but that doesn't mean you will get a normal argument in response to it.
Jun 30, 2015 2:09 AM

Mar 2015
Poltergeist18 said:
Unyilkdr said:
You can start a statement, but that doesn't mean you will get a normal argument in response to it.
then it's just adding fire to fire.
Jun 30, 2015 2:11 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
Poltergeist18 said:

Yeah, but this is the Internet. Adding fiyaa to da fiyaa is an everyday occurence.
Jun 30, 2015 2:11 AM

Feb 2015
Actually i can explain a good amount of things for almost every anime on list what i like why i like it and what i disliked so pure haters for no reason can go suck their dick .

I dont know about other other people. People without their own opinion are like half zombies that follow group and what others think creating imaginery charts to please someone or just look good.
ExowaveJun 30, 2015 2:16 AM
Jun 30, 2015 2:14 AM

Mar 2015
Poltergeist18 said:
Unyilkdr said:
Yeah, but this is the Internet. Adding fiyaa to da fiyaa is an everyday occurence.
well, human have asshole to begin with soo......
Jun 30, 2015 2:32 AM

Mar 2015
Shrabster said:
AttackOnTetris said:
Then what are you suggesting if not articulating opinions and giving reason, which you claim forces one to be dishonest.

It's a different sort of dishonesty. It's when you betray the experience you have by resorting to borrowed systems of pseudo-objectivity which are detached from our consciousness, and pretending that your "rationalized" opinion is inherently superior to someone saying "I like it". As long as people are self-aware that there is no such thing as good taste and bad taste, there isn't much of a problem.

Discussing what you like and don't like about a work is something we should all try to do, but it should end there. And sometimes it's hard to describe what we like/dislike about something and for those times when it happens, people shouldn't be ridiculed for not being able to explain why it happens. With this forum culture of over-rationalizing "taste", I see a lot of people making bold, subjective assertions under the pretense of objectivity, thinking they're proving something, when in reality they just look dumb.
Jun 30, 2015 2:33 AM

Mar 2012
W-Well you see... um... shut up.
Jun 30, 2015 3:02 AM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
It's a different sort of dishonesty. It's when you betray the experience you have by resorting to borrowed systems of pseudo-objectivity which are detached from our consciousness, and pretending that your "rationalized" opinion is inherently superior to someone saying "I like it". As long as people are self-aware that there is no such thing as good taste and bad taste, there isn't much of a problem.
Giving reasons and articulating ones opinion doesn't automatically mean you subscribe to these ideas as your first reply implied, it's just conducive to good discussion which is what I've been saying from the beginning. All you've done is argue that it's flawed on some obscure premise that isn't even necessarily true while offering no better solution. Well gee, that was pointless. And no, not every opinion is equal. There is no inherently right or wrong opinion, but one can be vastly more informed, reasoned, and generally just better argued than the other.

AttackOnTetris said:
Discussing what you like and don't like about a work is something we should all try to do, but it should end there. And sometimes it's hard to describe what we like/dislike about something and for those times when it happens, people shouldn't be ridiculed for not being able to explain why it happens.
A person has every right to say "I like X" or "I dislike Y", I even said as much if you bothered to read my first post. That's great for casual discussion, but if they come into an actual debate they should be prepared to defend their viewpoint. If they don't defend their viewpoint and offer nothing to back it up then it should be rightfully questioned. We shouldn't throw away logic and reason on the grounds of sensitivity.

AttackOnTetris said:
With this forum culture of over-rationalizing "taste", I see a lot of people making bold, subjective assertions under the pretense of objectivity, thinking they're proving something, when in reality they just look dumb.
If there's anything wrong with the forum culture it's the complete aversion to anything resembling constructive discussion.
ShrabsterJun 30, 2015 4:00 PM

Jun 30, 2015 3:08 AM

Jan 2015
Ok i will answer it now eventho OP shood ask for himself also

coz....... Its tiring to elaborate when u know that u are only arguing/discussing to a person who cant accept other's opinion. Especially when that person is ultra close minded who only wants to "win a debate" on the internet smh. I reaaaaaaly just want a chill discussion between users and I try hard to articulate my views moar if a user is a worthy to do discussions with

As what the other users said already, sometimes an elaborated explanation is not needed when u can do shortcuts or can be explained briefly. U dont need to be pretentious if u articulate something btw
DiginarcissaJun 30, 2015 3:12 AM
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 30, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2014
The answer is simple OP, some fans are not worth to discuss with since they can accept the flaws in the anime they like and the discussion only ends in a Darude - Shitstorm.
Jun 30, 2015 3:34 AM

Dec 2014
They are filthy casuals and are too ignorant to understand.
Jun 30, 2015 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
Digital_Fuzion said:

Welcome to MAL.
Jun 30, 2015 3:42 AM

Mar 2015
Digital_Fuzion said:
yeah, real elits always give arguments right to the point (?).
Jun 30, 2015 3:47 AM

Jan 2015
OP, how have you made it this far in life without realizing that a concerningly large amount of people you meet are incredibly stupid?

They judge things with visceral, primal feelings or have meaningless second hand opinions that conform to the mainstream hivemind. Because of course, why spend the effort of forming your own opinion when you can use anothers? If you actually expect logical, reasonable opinions from everyone then prepare to be disapointed.

As for the MAL community in general I assume a higher percentage of the user base are teenagers compared most sites, resulting in a less mature fan base. Chinese cartoons are for little kids and plebians. Filthy scum like us cant think.
Jun 30, 2015 3:49 AM

Nov 2014
LionCake said:
OP, how have you made it this far in life without realizing that a concerningly large amount of people you meet are incredibly stupid?

They judge things with visceral, primal feelings or have meaningless second hand opinions that conform to the mainstream hivemind. Because of course, why spend the effort of forming your own opinion when you can use anothers? If you actually expect logical, reasonable opinions from everyone then prepare to be disapointed.

As for the MAL community in general I assume a higher percentage of the user base are teenagers compared most sites, resulting in a less mature fanbase.

Jun 30, 2015 3:50 AM

Jan 2015
Hulohot said:
LionCake said:

As for the MAL community in general I assume a higher percentage of the user base are teenagers compared most sites, resulting in a less mature fanbase.

UGUUUU
Jun 30, 2015 4:03 AM

Nov 2014
Well, that's just generalizing. Also, why would they need to? Not everybody needs to be smart and know literary words and phrases and be able to criticize and whatnot.

As sharahasdbster has said, it's good when you can articulate and provide why you like this show and stuff. It creates discussion, unlike something like, say,
Person A: I like x
Person B: Hah shit taest
Persona A: no u
Person B: fite me

which isn't really much of a discussion, and often devolves into shitposting.

However, nobody has said there is a need for discussion. Sure, the forums was made for discussion, I know, but not everyone can properly argue on those things. So if something like this happens
Person A: I like x
Person B: y?
Persona A: Becuz I do, I can't explain it, its funny maybe

It's completely fine. That may not make way for much discussion, but it's still fine imo
Not everyone studies and cares about the same shite

Jun 30, 2015 4:11 AM

Jan 2015
Zergneedsfood said:
AttackOnTetris said:
huh? what?
he says that people are in denial when gibing objectiv opinions
lmao
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 16 minutes ago

5 by Spunkert »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

120 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
4 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

31 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
6 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

97 by Ranacchi »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.