Forum Settings
Forums

why can't anime fans explain their own opinions?

New
Jun 29, 2015 5:10 PM

Jan 2015
it seems to me that most people can't properly explain their views on anime and instead oftentimes reuse arguments others have used or resort to meaningless buzzwords like "edgy" in describing something etc.

its all fine to have opinions towards things but why is it that this anime community seems almost wholly incapable of articulating themselves in discussions,and can't explain their views? for an example we'll take an anime that is commonly viewed as being 'edgy' or bad,like snk, but when u try to discuss with them why they view it as bad they are incapable of doing so,and any contrary views to the popular or "cool" one will earn u countless "funny" comments about how bad ur taste is without any actual proper explanation.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 29, 2015 5:15 PM

May 2015
Deus-Vult said:
Just like what u do OP
Also it's hard to explain a thing in Engish with a good grammar (understandable to others)
Jun 29, 2015 5:16 PM

Mar 2015
OP are you shitting me? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1400162#msg40602662

Deus-Vult said:
Just like what u do OP

So ask yourself.
Don't get me wrong you are right with what you said,and this is a big problem,but coming from you is a bit ironic.

It also goes the other way around.How many times do I see people doing the same to praise an anime and are then trying to use words like 'objectively' to back up their claims.

I think many people do that because its the easy thing to do.Most anime have established "popular praise/criticism" that many just continue to spread.I don't question if they truly think so,but many don't even try to apply any kind of thought process to what they write.Pain in the ass to talk to,but most people I've met and talked to are able to have a good discussion and can back up their claims.It's just that mostly oneliners dominate the forums and that shouldn't be the case when discussing a series imo.
There also some people who are really aggressive and seem ignorant when having a discussion,so some people don't even bother replying because talking to a wall is pointless.
_HeroKenzan_Jun 29, 2015 5:33 PM
Jun 29, 2015 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
I can. I've seen several people that can.

Sometimes people don't attempt to explain themselves even though they do have justifications for not liking something because they're simply not asked to or they're too lazy to do it. They likely prefer silly insults. Sometimes people just don't like to put critical thought into their entertainment because at the end of the day, it is mere entertainment for most people, and critical thought requires effort. When you watch a show to unwind, you don't necessarily feel like thinking very hard about it. It ends up easier to simply pick up buzzwords.

It's like that everywhere, not just in the anime community. Go and ask someone why they don't like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. Most of the time, you'll get similar reactions. It's so 'edgy', it 'tries too hard'.
Jun 29, 2015 5:19 PM

Aug 2014
It's more or less a constant in human life, isn't it?
Jun 29, 2015 5:21 PM

May 2013
I fell on my head as a kid.
Jun 29, 2015 5:22 PM

Jul 2014
Because they don't have to? You don't really need to properly explain in a good way your opinion. You only need to when you try criticize something, or when someone asks you to elaborate or something similar.
Jun 29, 2015 5:24 PM

Jun 2014
People do explain their own opinions, but others disagree with those individual opinions, and then the circlejerk begins.

Jun 29, 2015 5:24 PM

Feb 2015
They probably expect to get a stupid response either way, so why bother writing a lengthy explanation.
Jun 29, 2015 5:27 PM

Jun 2014
There are just some things that you just can't put into words easily and require proper analysis so people just take the shortest route where possible.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 29, 2015 5:32 PM

Jan 2010
That's not specific to anime fans. It has more to do with how words work, in that they're representative of ideas and shared meaning. A dog is a dog, and a tree is a tree. They come in all shapes and sizes of course, but the general idea is there for what they are. The problem with these buzzwords though is they're trying to describe something formless, so it's hard to point at something and call it, say, "edgy" as you put it. This also leads to these words being used to describe things of all levels of intensity, tone, style, and target audiences, so their already vague meanings lose their grounding.

They have their worth though, as it makes it easy to speak on anime when there's a word that denotes some trait present. The problem comes when a person assumes everyone agrees to a non-existent shared meaning, so when describing something as "edgy," it's implied that edgy things are edgy, therefore the anime in question is edgy. All we can do is point at key anime that embody edginess, or ones that helped to popularize the trend, and try to catch everything remotely similar in a huge net for purposes of organizing, discussing, and insulting. It's...weird.
Jun 29, 2015 5:33 PM

Dec 2012
Because most of them are insecure idiots, they just don't have anything insightful to say, so they go for the easy popular buzzwords, to bash something they hate and feel better about themselves. Or they lack critical thinking and means to articulate their opinions.

Either way, the anime community sucks major dick. Though I imagine it's not exclusive to anime fans.
Jun 29, 2015 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
Why explain something people won't give a shit about?
Jun 29, 2015 5:52 PM

Nov 2008
This is a MAL problem. People normally don't think their opinions are important enough to explain; they'll type "it sucks" or "it's awesome" and leave the thread.

If you go on other anime forums where people behave more intelligently, and take debates seriously, you will read ESSAYS on not just their opinion, but the details they go through to explain it rationally.

Jun 29, 2015 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
This is a MAL problem. People normally don't think their opinions are important enough to explain; they'll type "it sucks" or "it's awesome" and leave the thread.

If you go on other anime forums where people behave more intelligently, and take debates seriously, you will read ESSAYS on not just their opinion, but the details they go through to explain it rationally.

Which forums do you speak of?
Jun 29, 2015 6:05 PM

Oct 2012
Its easier to write one liner shitposts than it is to write articulate posts.
Jun 29, 2015 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
Oh you mean this message you left on a Neon Genesis Evangelion forum thread?

SNKFanboy said:
never, it sucked, whyd i want to go back and rewatch it?
Jun 29, 2015 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
Chiibi said:

Usually, the general forum here in MAL is one of the worst places to actually start a discussion. I also wouldn't bother to articulate an opinion here because there are so many people posting on these treads that my post is most likely to be forgotten, like this one for example. You simply can't get into anything extensive and deep here in the forums.
If you join any club here in MAL, you will also see people taking debates seriously because it filters down to people that actually want to debate seriously. The problem is not with MAL, but the place these debates are taking place. Too many people with different opinions just doesn't work.
Jun 29, 2015 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
PrOxAnto said:

SNKFanboy said:

Oh, the irony.
Jun 29, 2015 6:16 PM

Jun 2015
This isn't exclusive to anime.

Okashi_sama said:
You don't really need to properly explain in a good way your opinion. You only need to when you try criticize something, or when someone asks you to elaborate or something similar.

Jun 29, 2015 6:23 PM

Nov 2008
DrCoppelius said:
Chiibi said:

Which forums do you speak of?

Specifically? ANN and animesuki. Those have essay writers if I've ever seen them. XD ESPECIALLY animesuki......but it's a huge forum too....

there are so many people posting on these treads that my post is most likely to be forgotten, like this one for example.

They also straight-up IGNORE you....or they don't even read your posts and/or just troll. >_>

Jun 29, 2015 6:25 PM

Jul 2014
Because the majority of people on MAL aren't professional reviewers. Seriously, you're underestimating the amount of skill it takes to actually write a review. If you look at community sites for most things it's the same - it's why newspapers actually hire people to write stuff like movie or book reviews rather than just letting random people on the internet do it. It's a massive time commitment actually review something and requires a lot of practice and talent. Anime isn't as popular (at least in western culture) for many people to make a sustainable living off reviewing it so we see far less professional quality reviews. If you want people to provide well articulated opinions on stuff you're definitely looking in the wrong place.
Jun 29, 2015 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Specifically? ANN and animesuki. Those have essay writers if I've ever seen them. XD ESPECIALLY animesuki......but it's a huge forum too....

I guess I could always give ANN a look. I found animesuki kind of unbearable to be honest.
Jun 29, 2015 6:30 PM

Nov 2008
ANN is fun.....but it's not nearly as active. I do like animesuki but.......sometimes the avatars and sigs people use are so gross. XD SO many pervy fanboys on that one...

Jun 29, 2015 6:38 PM

Mar 2014
Snk is bad
Jun 29, 2015 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
Not all post need to be a well in depth explanation on why you dislike a particular series. That will be too tiring. If someone has a problem with my comment and they ask me to further elaborate on why I didn't like that series, then that's fine. The person has shown interest in what I'm saying, so I don't mind going a bit more in depth on why I didn't like that series.
Jun 29, 2015 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
Zergneedsfood said:
DrCoppelius said:
I guess I could always give ANN a look. I found animesuki kind of unbearable to be honest.
Really? Personally if you dislike animesuki I think ANN is far worse. But...that's just me and my limited experience with the community there.

Well I haven't been to ANN at all so I wouldn't know. I was just saying I could try it.

What's wrong with ANN? I found animesuki's community had a bit of a stick up their ass... no offense meant to anyone who uses it... But I swear I didn't see a single friendly joke in the few hours that I spent there.
Jun 29, 2015 6:48 PM

Feb 2013
edgy isn't entirely meaningless tho.. you should have a vague idea of what is edgy and what is not
Jun 29, 2015 7:04 PM

Apr 2015
This thread is pretty edgy and I wish I could uncut myself.

Oh and, uh...I'm usually on my phone when browsing so
Typing alot is tedious.
Jun 29, 2015 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
2edgy4me
Jun 29, 2015 7:30 PM
Apr 2014
Are you shitting me?

Anyway, I think this has to do with people preferring to take the easy route rather than actually think about it. This isn't just a problem with anime.
Jun 29, 2015 7:44 PM

Mar 2013
I like the Crunchyroll community. Smart but not too smart.
Jun 29, 2015 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
I've seen plenty of anime fans defend their opinions reasonably. You seem to be hanging out with the wrong people.
Jun 29, 2015 9:07 PM

Jun 2015
Tylaen said:

I'm usually on my phone when browsing so
Typing alot is tedious.

It hurts my fingers.
Though obviously, if a thread has a lot of meaningful comments and such, I'll be more inclined to reply with one similar to that. If a thread has hundred comments that say "lol it ducked and you duck lolis 5evaaa", I feel a little disappointed. Just a tad bit.
-_-
Jun 29, 2015 9:52 PM

Sep 2013
Those with the means and power do not fight.
Jun 29, 2015 9:54 PM

Nov 2008
PeripheralVision said:

Ugh....WAY too many 12-year-old weebs.......>_>

Jun 29, 2015 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
PeripheralVision said:

Just like MAL.
Jun 29, 2015 10:01 PM

Aug 2014
Im known as the person that likes to make other people think here on MAL. Sadly, I get called a troll instead.
Jun 29, 2015 10:27 PM

Dec 2012
A true word warrior knows when to consolidate and expand upon things and will write as little or as much as needed.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 29, 2015 10:30 PM

Aug 2014
Feaor said:
Its easier to write one liner shitposts than it is to write articulate posts.
Pretty much this.

PrOxAnto said:

SNKFanboy said:
Lmao.
Jun 29, 2015 10:32 PM

Mar 2013
Chiibi said:
PeripheralVision said:

I didn't notice any of that during my stay there.
Jun 29, 2015 10:39 PM

Aug 2013
I'm guilty of this sometimes too and it's not something i can't really help given how often i write posts during busiest times of my day.
Jun 29, 2015 10:50 PM

Jan 2015
I'm confused...... :|
Jun 29, 2015 10:52 PM

May 2012
You must be projecting, because I can explain myself very well. And lol at ur reviews.
Jun 29, 2015 11:01 PM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:
You must be projecting, because I can explain myself very well. And lol at ur reviews.

Oh really now..... You sure explain yourself well when you talk about snk.
Jun 30, 2015 12:13 AM

Jun 2011
I only have a problem with it when they don't even know what the words means.
Jun 30, 2015 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
felipekorbes said:
PrOxAnto said:

Oh, the irony.

Lmao.
Jun 30, 2015 12:18 AM

Mar 2013
Since they are scared people will give them crap for saying stuff like Gintama isn't that funny.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jun 30, 2015 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
PrOxAnto said:

SNKFanboy said:

This is golden, OP. You should feel ashamed for being born in MAL.
Jun 30, 2015 12:22 AM

May 2012
keragamming said:
PoeticJustice said:

Oh really now..... You sure explain yourself well when you talk about snk.

You must be a glutton for punishment. I could write you several paragraphs as to why attack on titan is not good. It isn't that hard.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 8 minutes ago

2 by Nemo_Niemand »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
22 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
28 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
31 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.