Forum Settings
Forums

Would you date someone who thinks you're merely "good enough"?

New
Jun 28, 2015 4:03 PM

Jul 2014
What I mean by this is that they think they can do better than you if they want to, but they're alright (or even prefer) dating a guy or a girl who they think is not that attractive/smart/fantastic as long as they're loyal and they have a great personality.

Don't you think this view is insulting? Like fuck, if you're dating me and you think that you're only settling (despite how positively you look at the situation), GTFO.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2015 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
yes
Jun 28, 2015 4:05 PM

Jul 2014

Jun 28, 2015 4:06 PM

Oct 2014
I wouldn't bother dating someone if they were planning on braking up with me from the beginning.
Jun 28, 2015 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
Claire said:
fuck, if you're dating me and you think that you're only settling, GTFO.

Worded it nicely for me OP. I wouldn't want such a disgrace next to me
Jun 28, 2015 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
as long as they're loyal and they have a great personality.

As a beta, I'm so grateful if I have a loyal and great girlfriend y'know
Jun 28, 2015 4:14 PM

May 2014
The thing is, many relationships when you get older form based on different ideals. When you're younger, the heart craves for the chemical feeling of love and the excitement of exploring your sexuality with a partner you can emotionally connect you.

However, as the body and mind both age with time, the spark of "feeling of love" doesn't come as often or not at all, and people merely become to seek a significant other for either company, financial support, or are simply lonely and desire that presence of another being.

It's something that does happen to everyone, and rarely do people act out of true love at the age once people have surpassed their prime.

gettttt dunked on!!!!!!
Jun 28, 2015 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
_Charl said:
as long as they're loyal and they have a great personality.

Till you run out of money
Jun 28, 2015 4:16 PM

May 2013
RedTie47 said:
_Charl said:

Not every girl is a gold digger.
Jun 28, 2015 4:22 PM

Aug 2014
Shh. Be yourself.
Jun 28, 2015 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
Sure, if they're good enough for me too.
Jun 28, 2015 4:23 PM
Oct 2014
In my world, you're either good enough, or you're not. I am conservative, so if I'm happy, why change it?

Angelise said:

It's something that does happen to everyone, and rarely do people act out of true love at the age once people have surpassed their prime.

I think you're wrong here. People could argue against you that it's actually the opposite.
When you are older, you are usually finacially secure even if you are alone. And for the lonliness and company part, don't you think that's a big part of love?

It is true that the sexual need usually cools down with age, but sex and love is not the same thing.

Jun 28, 2015 4:28 PM

Nov 2008
I'll just end the relationship immediately, it leads to drama.

Jun 28, 2015 4:40 PM

May 2014
Sounds like a fuckup in the making, Abort mission
I've been here way too long...
Jun 28, 2015 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
Jun 28, 2015 5:02 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, because it would make a change from daily life, where 100% of people think I'm the best thing ever 100% of the time. Too bad this situation is unrealistic and will never happen thanks to the world's infatuation with me and my infinite powers of magnetism and charm.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jun 28, 2015 5:05 PM
Feb 2014
Playing hard to get is the best thing a guy can do. Screw her and move on. She's well aware she has 100 other guys she can choose from if she thinks all guys are simply good enough. Find a girl that cares more beyond that and won't use you for her own benefits. Sadly enough, this population is almost nonexistent unless you're a smart person and live around smart people. Now I can understand why the "nice guys" are surrounded by complete ditzes and bimbos of girls.
Jun 28, 2015 5:08 PM

Apr 2015
Sure
Jun 28, 2015 5:10 PM

Jun 2015
If they could do better and prefer you it shows that he/she really likes you... I mean... who could date a freaking good-looking person with a awesome personality and picks a normal?
But I wouldn't date someone like that, because I would feel like I don't deserve him
Jun 28, 2015 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
WingsOfValor said:
RedTie47 said:

Not every girl is a gold digger.

Ah no, I meant more that money is also important in the equation that he posted for a healthy relationship, not necessarily because the girl will leave him if he's broke. Should've clarified that, my bad.
Jun 28, 2015 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
Fuck off. The only reason why I'd date is because I deeply love and care about you and for the romantic intimacy and longing that comes along with it, not because I want to settle. I'm quite desperate but I'm not THAT desperate. If I'm just 'good enough' for you then you're not good enough for me.

Jun 28, 2015 5:22 PM

Jun 2012
everyone should already know that I'm perfect
Jun 28, 2015 5:43 PM

Apr 2011
If you think of dating that way, whether they think you're "good enough" shouldn't really matter. But if it offends you, let it be. Dating is pretty much like a test. If you're offended by it because you take dating really seriously, then you're just not compatible. Just break up 5 seconds after you start going out.
Jun 28, 2015 5:54 PM

Sep 2014
Probs #sexybeasts
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jun 28, 2015 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Depends if they want some
Jun 28, 2015 5:56 PM

Sep 2014
Rubberbandman101 said:
Depends if they want some
+1
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jun 28, 2015 6:03 PM

Jun 2014
I dont want someone to date me because I'm just "good enough" and they are just settling. I dont really think that's love, I want someone to date me because I'm something special to them and they are something special to me or else I dont really picture it working.
Jun 28, 2015 6:05 PM

Mar 2014
I would date literally anyone who gave me attention.
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Jun 28, 2015 6:43 PM

May 2012
Wouldn't date them, if I want someone to provide for me, sure. If they are seeking someone to date who are younger than them and easy to control, then nope
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Jun 28, 2015 7:43 PM

Oct 2012
There's a difference between:
1. This person looks good enough to pass my filter, but I like the person and I'm not settling.
2. This person is good enough, and I only like them somewhat, so I'm settling.

Frankly, I don't see why the former would be offensive unless you can't accept that you're any less than the hottest person in the world. Believe it or not, physical attraction is not the last word, and it's literally impossible for anyone to know if they can get "better". But that kind of possibility is not what a person should orient their lives toward. I'm surprised that you would post this after your previous thread about "settling", Claire. It's not settling at all. People aren't perfect, and it's the willingness to accept imperfection that makes things work.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 28, 2015 7:46 PM

May 2013
sure, but if 'good enough' means i have to fit into some sort of mold then it probably won't last long haha
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jun 28, 2015 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
LemonCup said:
Fuck off. The only reason why I'd date is because I deeply love and care about you and for the romantic intimacy and longing that comes along with it, not because I want to settle. I'm quite desperate but I'm not THAT desperate. If I'm just 'good enough' for you then you're not good enough for me.
If you think any partner you meet in your lifetime is the metaphysically best outcome possible in all alternate universes, then you're kidding yourself. Good enough is the only thing that's reliable whether you're settling (imo, temporarily lowering the "good enough" standard) or not.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 28, 2015 7:51 PM

Mar 2008
No unless I really really feel deeply for that person and think I can make them think better of me.
Jun 28, 2015 7:56 PM

Oct 2012
The whole my partner must be very special and be perfect in every way expressed by most people in this thread is called infatuation, not true love.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 28, 2015 8:00 PM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:
The whole my partner must be very special and be perfect in every way expressed by most people in this thread is called infatuation, not true love.
Infatuation is ignoring a persons flaws. Love is accepting the flaws and loving them still.
Jun 28, 2015 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
This depends sorely on if the partner is in love with you, or if they only date you out of pity/desperation.

Sure, if they think they can score someone higher/better, but they starts dating someone with a lower standard out of love, then I don't think it's insulting at all.
If anything, that's a compliment.
Unless she dates you out of desperation(desperation to get a partner).
Jun 28, 2015 8:27 PM

Mar 2014
It depends on how much I like them.
If I like them a lot, I'll take the hit to my pride and stay with them.
If I don't really like them, then... well, there's no point staying with them, now is there?
::End of Transmission::

Jun 29, 2015 2:42 AM
May 2009
Jun 29, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2015
katsucats said:
1. This person looks good enough to pass my filter, but I like the person and I'm not settling.

Frankly, I don't see why the former would be offensive unless you can't accept that you're any less than the hottest person in the world. Believe it or not, physical attraction is not the last word, and it's literally impossible for anyone to know if they can get "better". But that kind of possibility is not what a person should orient their lives toward. I'm surprised that you would post this after your previous thread about "settling", Claire. It's not settling at all. People aren't perfect, and it's the willingness to accept imperfection that makes things work.
LOL Quit trying to justify your misogynist attitude you twit. Just admit that you hate women.
Jun 29, 2015 5:57 PM

Oct 2012
IWubYou said:
katsucats said:

LOL Quit trying to justify your misogynist attitude you twit. Just admit that you hate women.
It's not hating women to be real. In fact, I'd argue that putting women on a pedestal is hating on real women. Close your Playboy magazines tool and look around. Nobody's perfect, whether in physical looks or intellect, yet that doesn't prevent us from establishing connections with other people on an equal level. Now go troll someone else.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 29, 2015 8:55 PM
Feb 2014
IWubYou said:
katsucats said:

Welcome back, KaceSpace.
Jun 29, 2015 10:43 PM

Jul 2014
Involtus said:
Yes, because it would make a change from daily life, where 100% of people think I'm the best thing ever 100% of the time. Too bad this situation is unrealistic and will never happen thanks to the world's infatuation with me and my infinite powers of magnetism and charm.
Jun 29, 2015 11:25 PM

Jun 2013
Why not? People are dynamic creatures. One day "good enough" may just become "the one" in just a couple of days of knowing another person. Just as long as I also think this person is "good enough" or more I don't see the problem! I'd treat them well all the same no matter what anyway.
Jun 29, 2015 11:29 PM

Feb 2015
No. The couple should learn to accept both owns weakness. Accepting as merely Good enough, purely based on immature feelings. You accept them for what them are not just a partner to satisfy your owns greedy feels.
Jun 29, 2015 11:32 PM

Jul 2014
Katsu is my hero.
Jun 30, 2015 12:41 AM

Apr 2013
Hard to say whether I would, but I think under certain circumstances then I would. Maybe if I were completely infatuated with the person then I would, though I still wouldn't want to just be considered "good enough". So I'd probably naively expect that to change as unlikely as it would probably be.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 30, 2015 1:23 AM

Sep 2013
No, but I also don't settle. I would rather be alone than with somebody that I didn't feel was worth my time. I would want the same treatment
Jun 30, 2015 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
i do wonder if any other MAL users has had this view on another person ;o

i don't think it's absolutely horrible, sure it's not healthy but, some people just don't like being alone. they will do anything to not be alone so they will 'settle' as you call it. rather than risk going after those who could really damage them further. usually i don't find this is because the other person is hotter, more intelligent, more charming, they're usually just scared. they would rather live with loyalty than go after people they really love. i won't hate them for it, but i would not date them either.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 30, 2015 9:41 AM
Jan 2015
It is insulting because they are probably keeping their options open until something better comes along. They are only dating you because they are lonely.
Jun 30, 2015 11:14 AM

May 2015
They're the only people that will date me, so what choice do I have?

Assuming they exist. Omega4life
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 3 hours ago

13 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

12 by IpreferEcchi »»
3 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

21 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - Apr 18

15 by tsukareru »»
20 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

66 by DesuMaiden »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.