Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2015 5:41 PM

Feb 2014
To the people without learning disabilities or visual problems that affect their ability to read subtitles, I ask you this - why?

Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you? Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

Please enlighten me.

EDIT: Okay, it's been over half a year now MAL. You can stop enlightening me. Please look at the date when this thread is made. Please make your own shitposts rather than riding on the tailcoats of mine. Thank you.
LemonFeb 2, 2016 12:02 PM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 22, 2015 5:43 PM

May 2012
I am American. That is all.
Jun 22, 2015 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
I only do dubbed sometimes but:

Lemongrope said:
Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you?

Authenticity is overrated for the most part. Anime have Japanese voice actors because anime is made in Japan. The Japanese doesn't necessarily have to do with matching the mood so much as it is an obligation for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that, but in cases like Baccano!, Panty & Stocking and Space Dandy, English may in fact be more suitable.

I don't know what you mean by correct intonations and pacing. English voice actors can be good too.

Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

The ones I listen to don't usually have these cultural cues. Just because anime is Japanese doesn't mean it has to center itself around Japanese culture and setting at all times.
Jun 22, 2015 5:51 PM

Nov 2014
I watch dubs because:

-They sometimes sound better than the original.
-Can watch it with friends who are not fans of chinese cartoons.
-I practice my english since it's not my native langauge.
-I don't care about the autenticity of the chinese cartoons, i watch what i feel fits best/sounds best for me.
Jun 22, 2015 5:55 PM

Oct 2012
I watch dubbed anime because I'm not a weeaboo who thinks Glorious Nippon is the greatest country on earth.
Jun 22, 2015 6:01 PM

Feb 2014
DrCoppelius said:
Authenticity is overrated for the most part.

Why do you think so?

Anime have Japanese voice actors because anime is made in Japan. The Japanese doesn't necessarily have to do with matching the mood so much as it is an obligation for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that, but in cases like Baccano!, Panty & Stocking and Space Dandy, English may in fact be more suitable.

I don't mean the 'Japanese mood' in a shitty Orientalist way. I mean how most dubs have actors that made things sound far more serious or more light-hearted than the situation calls for, but I guess that links more to the other points...

I don't know what you mean by correct intonations and pacing. English voice actors can be good too.

I mean match the mood and intonation and pacing as the director intended. There are plenty of good VAs but the dubbing process means it's so much more removed from the original animators and directors who are not necessarily aware of language nuances, and you'd have to go through translators and that gives way to misunderstandings which the audience will have no idea if it's intentional or not. Whereas with subs or fan subs at least you can argue over interpretations with other people and discuss it what the director/writer wanted to say or show.

The ones I listen to don't usually have these cultural cues. Just because anime is Japanese doesn't mean it has to center itself around Japanese culture and setting at all times.

It doesn't have to centre itself around Japanese culture for things to feel weird though. Sutble hand gestures and body language can be enough to throw the balance off for me.
Jun 22, 2015 6:03 PM

Feb 2014
Hulohot said:
I watch dubs because:

-I don't care about the autenticity of the chinese cartoons, i watch what i feel fits best/sounds best for me.

Fair enough. What do you think about dubs (fan or otherwise) in your own language?
Jun 22, 2015 6:04 PM

Apr 2015
I do it just to practice the language since English is weird as fuck when you are listening (English is not my native language) and I dont like westerner TV series and dislike most of movies.

But I have to admit that some dubs are ok, not better than the original voices but sound ok (most of dubs really suck ass, though)
Jun 22, 2015 6:06 PM

Aug 2011
I watch dubs because I don't want to keep looking down my screen.
Jun 22, 2015 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't actually agree. VAs are always giving their interpretations, regardless of whether they're Japanese or not.

If I may be slightly off-topic, it reminds me a lot of superhero movie adaptations. Actors are never going to completely match up to the comic book character, but that doesn't mean they can't all interpret the character in different, interesting ways. Nobody's ever going to look 100% like Batman, and some will emphasize certain sides of the character more. That's natural. There's nothing wrong to me with actors giving varied takes on characters because acting is always nothing more than an interpretation and one interpretation is not the end-all, be-all of the character.

Of course, that doesn't mean interpretations don't have varying quality, but it's up to the viewer to decide which one is best.

Lemongrope said:
I mean match the mood and intonation and pacing as the director intended. There are plenty of good VAs but the dubbing process means it's so much more removed from the original animators and directors who are not necessarily aware of language nuances, and you'd have to go through translators and that gives way to misunderstandings which the audience will have no idea if it's intentional or not. Whereas with subs or fan subs at least you can argue over interpretations with other people and discuss it what the director/writer wanted to say or show.

I don't really see how it's different from subs honestly. We're always risking potential misunderstandings when it's translated. I tend to trust dubbing teams when they produce a good output. They aren't amateurs who barely understand Japanese and its nuances and are playing around with translation as a side-hobby.
Jun 22, 2015 6:15 PM

Nov 2014
Lemongrope said:
Hulohot said:
I watch dubs because:

Fair enough. What do you think about dubs (fan or otherwise) in your own language?

They are quite good actually: DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Excel Saga and many others have good to very good dub quality.

Unfortunately there aren't too many dubbed anime (or at least they are hard to find on the interwebz) and the dubbing scene seems to have slowed down in the last years. That's why i switched to watching Subbed (english and spanish) and Dubbed (in english).
Jun 22, 2015 6:16 PM

Aug 2009
Lemongrope said:
To the people without learning disabilities or visual problems that affect their ability to read subtitles, I ask you this - why?

I actually enjoy watching anime in my native language. I notice a lot more when I do not have to read little words at the bottom of the screen.
Jun 22, 2015 6:17 PM
Sep 2013
I just happen to prefer a lot of anime dubbed. It's not a "Oh hurrdurr I can't read" or "I don't like Japanese voices" thing, it just happens that way.
Jun 22, 2015 6:22 PM

Feb 2014
DrCoppelius said:
VAs are always giving their interpretations, regardless of whether they're Japanese or not.
Of course, that doesn't mean interpretations don't have varying quality, but it's up to the viewer to decide which one is best.

Fair point.

I don't really see how it's different from subs honestly. We're always risking potential misunderstandings when it's translated. I tend to trust dubbing teams when they produce a good output. They aren't amateurs who barely understand Japanese and its nuances and are playing around with translation as a side-hobby.

But with dubs you risk losing so much more with a bad translation because unless you also watch the sub you don't know what the characters are originally meant to say. Whereas with subs you can try and supplement bad bits with what you know.
Jun 22, 2015 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
Lemongrope said:
But with dubs you risk losing so much more with a bad translation because unless you also watch the sub you don't know what the characters are originally meant to say. Whereas with subs you can try and supplement bad bits with what you know.

Unless you know Japanese, in which case I question why you even bother not listening to it raw, you don't actually know what the characters are originally meant to say with 100% accuracy. You know what the subbing team is telling you they're saying. The subtitles themselves are a filter.

Yes, you'll hear the original VA's tone of voice which may clue you in better, but I think that goes back to the previous point.
Jun 22, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2014
Hulohot said:
They are quite good actually: DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Excel Saga and many others have good to very good dub quality.

Unfortunately there aren't too many dubbed anime (or at least they are hard to find on the interwebz) and the dubbing scene seems to have slowed down in the last years. That's why i switched to watching Subbed (english and spanish) and Dubbed (in english).

I see. I see. Given the choice, would you choose to watching something for the first time in Spanish dub or sub?
Jun 22, 2015 6:37 PM

Feb 2015
Sometimes I like the dubbed version more. There's nothing more to it.
Jun 22, 2015 6:39 PM

Jul 2011
Because i have freedom.
Jun 22, 2015 6:45 PM

Feb 2014
Kouzaya said:
because i already watched it subbed and i can't be arsed paying 100% attention to watch it again

This is understandable, but choosing to watch a dub on first watch or only watching dubs ever is like an extreme level of laziness that I don't really understand when it comes to more hardcore chinese cartoon fans that's seen more than 10 different shows or so.

DrCoppelius said:
I only do dubbed sometimes[...]

So when do you watch dubs?
Jun 22, 2015 6:46 PM

Jun 2007
Unfortunately, Wapanese is not my native tongue. English is. And Laura Bailey is my waifu. So, in summary: puk kyu.

Authenticity? Authenticity is most certainly not hearing Japanese voices in medieval Europe, such as in Berserk and S&W. Nor is it authentic for a multicultural society where the Japanese are near extinct in Shingeki. There are countless anime with non-Japanese settings where cultural rewrites work better than forced Japanese ones.
Jun 22, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2011
Because I usually get more enjoyment from anime when I can understand what the characters are saying.

Why are you dub haters so condescending?
Jun 22, 2015 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
Lemongrope said:
DrCoppelius said:
I only do dubbed sometimes[...]

So when do you watch dubs?

I mainly watch dubs if English seems more appropriate to the setting, the VAs look good and I hear good things about the dub. Alternatively, if I'm doing a rewatch and feel like getting a new perspective on the show, then I might switch over out of curiosity. Depending on how I feel about it, I stick with it or switch again.
Jun 22, 2015 6:53 PM

Feb 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Unfortunately, Wapanese is not my native tongue. English is. And Laura Bailey is my waifu. So, in summary: puk kyu.

Authenticity? Authenticity is most certainly not hearing Japanese voices in medieval Europe, such as in Berserk and S&W. Nor is it authentic for a multicultural society where the Japanese are near extinct in Shingeki. There are countless anime with non-Japanese settings where cultural rewrites work better than forced Japanese ones.

ur waifu is shit. fite me.

Not authenticity is a fictional setting context. Authenticity as in this is a media written/produced/directed by non-English speaking people in a non-English speaking country for their non-English speaking domestic audience. Why would you not want to try to watch something as it is intended to be viewed? Would you watch art house French films dubbed in English too?
Jun 22, 2015 6:55 PM

Nov 2013
AironicallyHuman said:

That's part of my rationale, but the simple fact is I grow attached to voices and voice actors. Through video games, since most Japanese games are dubbed (I'm especially a sucker for JRPGs) I became aware of how good English voice acting can be when done right and who to watch out for, so I watch dubs generally to hear these actors. If Liam O'Brien is heading a dub (I'm coming for you, Monster and Ergo Proxy), or there's a dynamite dub cast like in Blue Exorcist, Durarara!!, or Samurai Champloo, I watch the dub.

Another huge motivation for me watching dubs is for my manga reading purposes. I "hear" the voices when I read dialogue, and it suits me to hear the official English voices in my mind unless there exists no dub or the dub is bad.

In theory OP, your reasoning is not incorrect. But the fact of the matter is this: there exist dubs that are at least as good as their original counterparts, even if a bunch of Japanese terms are thrown around. We've got the near universally accepted FMA Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop, but there are others. The three I mentioned above, Persona 4, Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, and there are more. Is the list short? Yeah, it is. But there is a list, and there are great VAs that indeed rival seiyuu legends, so I will watch dubs for those purposes.

EDIT for clarity
Jun 22, 2015 7:01 PM

Aug 2013
Lemongrope said:
Would you watch art house French films dubbed in English too?
I watch French animated movies dubbed in English sometimes and they aren't half bad. Authenticity is overrated although I do watch a lot of anime subbed.
Jun 22, 2015 7:03 PM

Feb 2014
Narmy said:
Because I usually get more enjoyment from anime when I can understand what the characters are saying.

Why are you dub haters so condescending?

Do subtitles not help you understand what the characters say?

cuz im an angry and bitter individual.

DrCoppelius said:
I mainly watch dubs if English seems more appropriate to the setting, the VAs look good and I hear good things about the dub. Alternatively, if I'm doing a rewatch and feel like getting a new perspective on the show, then I might switch over out of curiosity. Depending on how I feel about it, I stick with it or switch again.

This I can understand.
Jun 22, 2015 7:04 PM

Jun 2007
Lemongrope said:

Not authenticity is a fictional setting context. Authenticity as in this is a media written/produced/directed by non-English speaking people in a non-English speaking country for their non-English speaking domestic audience. Why would you not want to try to watch something as it is intended to be viewed? Would you watch art house French films dubbed in English too?

"Not authenticity is a fictional setting context." What in the name of Allah are you on about, you plonker? When a Japanese person is TRYING to artificially authenticate a foreign time period, spoke in a foreign tongue, it's just that: artificial. Now, someone whose native tongue and history match the story; they can help it fulfill its true potential. You are not in Japan; I am not in Japan. We are not the target audience for Japanese works. This is why Japanese people watch in Japanese and English people watch in English: so it caters to them. I know this is all very complicate, believe me, but understanding this will make you a better person.

For example, Howo in S&W: she talks in old fashioned, non-conjunctioned English in the dub. In Japanese? She sounds like an underage girl. Now, that is what the Japanese want - underage girls - but people outside of Japan frown on that. They want the maturity of her age conveyed with her voice, withan air of class gained over 100's of years. The simple addition of some European-style class can only add to something set in Europe.

Watching something in live-action dubbed is totally different since there is an obvious person/voice disconnect. Good dubs of animation differ in the sense animation can be universal in terms of its characters.
Jun 22, 2015 7:06 PM

Nov 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
Lemongrope said:

"Not authenticity is a fictional setting context." What in the name of Allah are you on about, you plonker? When a Japanese person is TRYING to artificially authenticate a foreign time period, spoke in a foreign tongue, it's just that: artificial. Now, someone whose native tongue and history match the story; they can help it fulfill its true potential. You are not in Japan; I am not in Japan. We are not the target audience for Japanese works. This is why Japanese people watch in Japanese and English people watch in English: so it caters to them. I know this is all very complicate, believe me, but understanding this will make you a better person.

For example, Howo in S&W: she talks in old fashioned, non-conjunctioned English in the dub. In Japanese? She sounds like an underage girl. Now, that is what the Japanese want - underage girls - but people outside of Japan frown on that. They want the maturity of her age conveyed with her voice, withan air of class gained over 100's of years. The simple addition of some European-style class can only add to something set in Europe.

Watching something in live-action dubbed is totally different since there is a person/voice disconnect. Dubs of animation differ in the sense animation can be universal in terms of its characters.

My sentiments exactly.
Jun 22, 2015 7:08 PM

Feb 2014
SNaG21 said:

That's part of my rationale, but the simple fact is I grow attached to voices and voice actors. Through video games, since most Japanese games are dubbed (I'm especially a sucker for JRPGs) I became aware of how good English voice acting can be when done right and who to watch out for, so I watch dubs generally to hear these actors. If Liam O'Brien is heading a dub (I'm coming for you, Monster and Ergo Proxy), or there's a dynamite dub cast like in Blue Exorcist, Durarara!!, or Samurai Champloo, I watch the dub.

Another huge motivation for me watching dubs is for my manga reading purposes. I "hear" the voices when I read dialogue, and it suits me to hear the official English voices in my mind unless there exists no dub or the dub is bad.

In theory OP, your reasoning is not incorrect. But the fact of the matter is this: there exist dubs that are at least as good as their original counterparts, even if a bunch of Japanese terms are thrown around. We've got the near universally accepted FMA Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop, but there are others. The three I mentioned above, Persona 4, Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf's Rain, Black Lagoon, and there are more. Is the list short? Yeah, it is. But there is a list, and there are great VAs that indeed rival seiyuu legends, so I will watch dubs for those purposes.

EDIT for clarity

Your clear reasoning is pleasing to me.
Jun 22, 2015 7:12 PM

Jan 2014
Hulohot said:
I watch dubs because:

The voices fit the character and the portrayal is better. That's the only reason I do it, but it's very rare for me to do so.
Jun 22, 2015 7:16 PM

Apr 2014
Sometimes dubbed is better than subbed, simple as that.
Jun 22, 2015 7:18 PM

Jun 2007
SNaG21 said:

That's the thing that's so frustrating about these threads on this site: IGNORANCE, EVERY TIME. Has the OP even watched any anime such as Cowboy Bebop that most accept are better in English? No is usually the answer. In the case of you and me, we were exposed to the best of English dubbing via JRPGs, such as Persona, and that was that: proof that being Wapanese is humiliating.

The thing is, I don't discriminate against Japanese/subbed anime. Why? Because it's often excellent. But cultural differences will always be an issue. Ignorable in Japanese setting series, yes, but avoidable with a quality dub. My favourite voice acting performance is actually Japanese: Light Yagami. Is the dub bad? No, but in that instance the 'good-bad' differentiation worked better in Japanese. Same with Lelouch/Code Geass.

I used to be the same in terms of anime, but then I started buying anime and listened to a lot of Funimation's dubs. This is how I came across many of my favourite voice actors. And video games JRPGs, of course: .hack//G.U. has arguably the best dub I have heard. So much talent...

Anyone that watches this and criticises dubs deserves a slap:

Jun 22, 2015 7:24 PM
Jan 2014
"Please Enlighten Me."

The problem with posting such a line, is that it projects an air of inflexibility.

But I'll give it a try, at least in my own personal terms. I don't watch a lot of anime, but when I do, it is because the story itself grabs my imagination, or my sense of adventure.

But in terms of whether I watch dub anime or Japanese voiced, with subtitles; that's a matter of which is voiced best. While I would agree that many anime (made in Japan) are voiced better in its native tongue, there have been some spectacular times when English is the prefer'd language. Or at least is as good as the Japanese language version.

A few examples are in order, keep in mind my tastes, may not be the same as yours for titles;

1). xxxHolic (and sequel products). This popular anime is actually much better in the English Dub version. Anyone out there actually like the Japanese voice for Yuuko (and many other characters), versus the English Dub, has no taste in accuracy or emotional whit whatever. This is admittedly a rare occurrence, but the example is very apt. There is simply no way to top Colleen Clinkenbeard as Yuuko, and it is her crowning achievement by many votes.

2). Witch Hunter Robin. One of my personal favorite anime, and an excellent example of a show that works perfectly in both languages. While I slightly prefer the Sub version, just because of the Japanese origination, I always load the English Dub version on my iPhone for viewing portable, as nothing is lost in the translation at all.

3). Witchblade. Outstanding in either language, and I personally slightly prefer the English Dub version, as some of the male characters are actually better in English.

4). Asobi ni Iku yo! This is admittedly a anime intended for young teens, but I tend to appreciate it for its over the top style, and reminiscent value in terms of retro story tropes. As for its voice acting qualities, I have watched it in both languages. And it is another example of slightly prefer'd in English. No getting past the charm and exuberance of Tia Ballard in the lead role. Simply outstanding in every way. And there is no beating the following voice actors, by many Japanese voice actors: Brittney Karbowski, Monica Rial, Colleen Clinkenbeard (again), Jamie Marchi, Staci Moon, Caitlin Glass, Clarine Harp; and many others. This anime, and many others, are made just as good (with the previous voices, and many are better).

5). Girls Und Panzer. Another popular anime, and well voiced in both versions. In this particular case, I prefer the Japanese version, by a small margin. However, both versions are very good, and when carrying my anime in portable equipment, the english version travels with me.

I hope you can get the point. While I would agree that there are times when the original version is best, there are times when the alternate is more apt. Movies have the same problem. For example, is there any way a viewer can understand the mindset of the people who produced the new version of "The Day The Earth Stood Still"? Same question for "I, Robot"? There is no way any viewer can see the original plot in either example. They stole the title and wrote their own new story.

So as you can see, the point you are trying to make is well founded. But there are times when the slightly newer version with English voicing are an actual improvement. In many cases, the dub actors have a longer list of anime (many are successes) than many of your favorite Japanese voice actors.

Have fun with your anime, just give English and other versions a try. I'm told some of the German voicings are pretty good, except that I don't speak German (grin).
Jun 22, 2015 7:27 PM

Feb 2014
AironicallyHuman said:

Plz. There is a difference between the artificiality of some fake-ass European style setting and the artificiality of changing the language in which an anime is shown in. There is no true potential for you to fulfil. The Japanese writers create the foreign setting the intention of it being so, they're not trying to white-face their way into your favour. The anime is made with an understanding of what the audience knows of the outside world, and to see the anime for what it is, flawed ideas and all, is a part of the charm of watching foreign media.

You sound like some middle-aged tourist in a Japanese restaurant in Japan which serves local Japanese people, complaining the Japanese curry is not authentic and tastes nothing like Indian curry.

Watching something in live-action dubbed is totally different since there is an obvious person/voice disconnect. Good dubs of animation differ in the sense animation can be universal in terms of its characters.

I never said anything about live action. There does exist animated films in a non-English language other than Japanese.
Jun 22, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
SNaG21 said:

That's the thing that's so frustrating about these threads on this site: IGNORANCE, EVERY TIME. Has the OP even watched any anime such as Cowboy Bebop that most accept are better in English? No is usually the answer. In the case of you and me, we were exposed to the best of English dubbing via JRPGs, such as Persona, and that was that: proof that being Wapanese is humiliating.

The thing is, I don't discriminate against Japanese/subbed anime. Why? Because it's often excellent. But cultural differences will always be an issue. Ignorable in Japanese setting series, yes, but avoidable with a quality dub. My favourite voice acting performance is actually Japanese: Light Yagami. Is the dub bad? No, but in that instance the 'good-bad' differentiation worked better in Japanese. Same with Lelouch/Code Geass.

I used to be the same in terms of anime, but then I started buying anime and listened to a lot of Funimation's dubs. This is how I came across many of my favourite voice actors. And video games JRPGs, of course: .hack//G.U. has arguably the best dub I have heard. So much talent...

Anyone that watches this and criticises dubs deserves a slap:

I forgot to mention Spice and Wolf! Great dub. My personal favorite dub is the video game Tales of Vesperia. I booted it up the other day and the dub is still awesome. Plus, Karol's voice is better in the dub.

Lemongrope said:
AironicallyHuman said:

Plz. There is a difference between the artificiality of some fake-ass European style setting and the artificiality of changing the language in which an anime is shown in. There is no true potential for you to fulfil. The Japanese writers create the foreign setting the intention of it being so, they're not trying to white-face their way into your favour. The anime is made with an understanding of what the audience knows of the outside world, and to see the anime for what it is, flawed ideas and all, is a part of the charm of watching foreign media.

You sound like some middle-aged tourist in a Japanese restaurant in Japan which serves local Japanese people, complaining the Japanese curry is not authentic and tastes nothing like Indian curry.

I never said anything about live action. There does exist animated films in a non-English language other than Japanese.

OP, explain your tourist analogy, please.
Jun 22, 2015 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
Lemongrope said:

I'm curious--how do you feel about, for instance, a movie like The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Would you listen to it in English or in French? After all, it's an English adaptation of a French book that takes place in France.
Jun 22, 2015 7:36 PM
Feb 2014
I don't, my god
Jun 22, 2015 7:38 PM

Jun 2007
Lemongrope said:

Irony. You probably don't even understand why what you just typed is ironic.

I'll give you a hint, though: my comment about underage girls that you responded to with the above was sarcastic. None of what you typed about dubs/being condescending is sarcastic.

I shall leave you to your blissful ignorance. Have fun, for ignorance is forever blissful.
Jun 22, 2015 7:39 PM

Feb 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Has the OP even watched any anime such as Cowboy Bebop that most accept are better in English? No is usually the answer.

For prosperity sake the only anime where I watched dub first was: Sailor Moon, Conan, Utena, and NGE in Chinese; and DBZ in English. I've seen FMA, FMA:B, and Cowboy Bebop in dub on rewatches. And I'm not into gaming, so no I don't proclaim to be all knowing about quality dubs but it's not a question of quality for me, more like having the cultural sensitivity to view a piece as it's meant to be viewed.
LemonJun 22, 2015 11:37 PM
Jun 22, 2015 7:41 PM

May 2015
It's out of curiousty because of suggestion of other to try watching it. But the entire time I mostly want the subbed. ;)
Jun 22, 2015 7:44 PM

Feb 2014
DrCoppelius said:
Lemongrope said:

I'm curious--how do you feel about, for instance, a movie like The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Would you listen to it in English or in French? After all, it's an English adaptation of a French book that takes place in France.

English. The movie is made in English originally so I watched it in English. But something like Persepolis I always insist one should watch in French.

Ditto with the best dub ever, Afro Samurai.
Jun 22, 2015 7:46 PM

Jun 2012
Japanese is inferior dreck culture, a great American filter can go a long way.
Jun 22, 2015 7:51 PM

May 2014
Lemongrope said:

Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you? Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?
No. Also, it doesn't always matter.

Any other questions?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jun 22, 2015 7:54 PM

Nov 2013
Lemongrope said:
DrCoppelius said:

English. The movie is made in English originally so I watched it in English. But something like Persepolis I always insist one should watch in French.

To be fair, AFAIK, Afro Samurai is English only. It's an anime but English first.
Jun 22, 2015 7:59 PM

Nov 2014
Directors are artists, and out of respect for the vision of these artists, I usually watch their works in the original language that they were produced in—with subtitles if need be. There's a significant difference between a skilled director directing a voice actor, and some ADR guy at Funimation with little or no artistic instincts just trying to match English words with the timing of mouth flaps.

The only time I'll watch an English dub is if a subtitled version isn't available, or if the show or movie is crap and I don't feel like giving it my full attention.
Jun 22, 2015 8:00 PM

Jun 2007
SNaG21 said:
To be fair, AFAIK, Afro Samurai is English only. It's an anime but English first.

On a totally unrelated/random dub note, just in case you don't know, Kawajiri had Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Highlander dubbed in English first. The result? A whole lot of awesome. See, even some Western-focused cool Japanese directors appreciate the whole English lingo thing.

Also unrelated, even when dubs are bad, they're still fairly awesome. Evidence:

Jun 22, 2015 8:00 PM

Feb 2014
KD7BWB said:
But in terms of whether I watch dub anime or Japanese voiced, with subtitles; that's a matter of which is voiced best. While I would agree that many anime (made in Japan) are voiced better in its native tongue, there have been some spectacular times when English is the prefer'd language. Or at least is as good as the Japanese language version.

How do you know which one if better unless you watch both though?

A few examples are in order, keep in mind my tastes, may not be the same as yours for titles;

I hope you can get the point. While I would agree that there are times when the original version is best, there are times when the alternate is more apt. Movies have the same problem. For example, is there any way a viewer can understand the mindset of the people who produced the new version of "The Day The Earth Stood Still"? Same question for "I, Robot"? There is no way any viewer can see the original plot in either example. They stole the title and wrote their own new story.

Thanks for the reviews, and yes I do see your point about there being good dubs and I don't disagree, but they do ultimately all hinge on your personal tastes in VAs. The two films you name are both adaptations, there's a difference between an adaptation of something (be it a book or another film) and dubbing something. Adaptation is reinterpreting and remaking, and yes I agree dubbing is reinterpreting but I don't think the scale is large enough for it to be called an adaptation.

I agree your point of view hold a lot more ground if you think a dub counts as an adaptation of an anime but that seems just a little contrived to me.
Jun 22, 2015 8:01 PM

Feb 2014
SNaG21 said:
Lemongrope said:

Exactly.
Jun 22, 2015 8:05 PM

Feb 2014
aikaflip said:
Directors are artists, and out of respect for the vision of these artists, I usually watch their works in the original language that they were produced in—with subtitles if need be. There's a significant difference between a skilled director directing a voice actor, and some ADR guy at Funimation with little or no artistic instincts just trying to match English words with the timing of mouth flaps.

Exactly.

The only time I'll watch an English dub is if a subtitled version isn't available, or if the show or movie is crap and I don't feel like giving it my full attention.

u masochist.
Jun 22, 2015 8:10 PM

Feb 2014
Gimmick said:
Japanese is inferior dreck culture, a great American filter can go a long way.

eh. 4/10. do better next time.

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

10 by _FRB_ »»
3 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 6 hours ago

15 by BitChilly »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

17 by Kenzolo-folk »»
5 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 hours ago

22 by logopolis »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 3 hours ago

18 by LightWorker »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.