Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 18, 2021 4:51 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
WONDERLESS169 said:
Kyotosomo said:
This show is pretty far from perfect lol. The only reason its score is so high is because for the most part the only people who knew this show existed and bothered to watch it are the kind of people who love this sort of show anyway; resulting in its score being grossly inflated. If a wider more mainstream audience bothered to watch this its score would have dropped like a rock. Now if you're a fan of the Iyashikei and Yokai genres hey I'm sure it's a masterpiece. However most people are not, so for your average person with an actual brain that needs actual stimulation not "cozy" bullshit where nothing happens; this show is mind numbingly boring (outside a few good stories in it). Everything I just said applies to Mushishi as well which I'm sure everybody here loves too.
dont you think its a little flawed to be judging shows on one scale its like a restaurant reviewer comparing how good the food at a burger place is to how good another restaurant's sushi? It makes no sense compare slice of life to slice of life to shounen or other sorts of stories with an overarching plot. Some people want a relaxing episodic show it has nothing to do with not having a brain. I mean heck Im an A student studying literature at a university level and i love this show? Cause different genres have different purposes and audiences.

Entertainment is entirely subjective so all that really matters is how much one personally enjoyed a show and personally I found it mostly boring. So in that sense it's silly to propose we only rate shows based on the context of their genre. HOWEVER yes if one were to try to "objectively" rate a show you can either [A] rate it based on how enjoyable it will be to fans of its genre or [B] rate it based on how enjoyable it will be to the broader (in this case anime consuming) audience. Which is why I specifically mentioned all three stating that if you're a fan of the Iyashikei and Yokai genres it's probably a masterpiece but if a broader audience was exposed to this show most would not enjoy it and its score would drop significantly. And whilst I can applaud what it does well, it doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day I was not entertained the majority of the time I watched this show.

WONDERLESS169 said:
I dont wanna commit suicide but these neagtive reviews make me very upset. Like dont watch this expecting it to act like demon slayer or something. Its called Natsume's book of friends this is clearly not the same vibe. I hate how shounentards act like the only way to write a story is like any typical shounen does. It really makes anime look one dimensional if we start treating the medium like that.

Shounen is a minority of avid anime viewers (especially the kind of people who would use this site) and ironically the majority of people really into the shounen genre usually don't watch a lot of anime outside of it (just a few ongoing shonen shows at any given time maybe the occasional action heavy one/two cour every now and then). That's not most people who negatively reviewed this show. The people who gave negative reviews did so because it's a genuinely boring show for your typical person. This show would have a FAR lar lower score and FAR more negative reviews if a broader audience had at all had decided to watch this show. But for the most part only fans of its genres knew it existed and bothered to watched it so the score ended up being super hyper inflated.

And whilst personally I'm more of a fan of shows with strong characters and strong plots, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a "chill" / "supernatural" / "storytime" type show like this too. Beautiful semi-similar shows with a foot planted in this one's genres (instead of both) of like The Ancient Magus' Bride or Restaurant To Another World or Violet Evergarden were all great to me even though they're definitely not my typical kind of show. But this one just really leaned WAY to far into trying to be "cozy" to the point where unless you're REALLY into this kind of show; it's going to end up being pretty boring for your typical viewer who needs at least some level of stimulation from their entertainment. There's a reason the Iyashikei genre is so extremely niche.

KyotosomoFeb 18, 2021 5:12 PM
Feb 18, 2021 5:32 PM
Nov 2016
Kyotosomo said:
WONDERLESS169 said:
dont you think its a little flawed to be judging shows on one scale its like a restaurant reviewer comparing how good the food at a burger place is to how good another restaurant's sushi? It makes no sense compare slice of life to slice of life to shounen or other sorts of stories with an overarching plot. Some people want a relaxing episodic show it has nothing to do with not having a brain. I mean heck Im an A student studying literature at a university level and i love this show? Cause different genres have different purposes and audiences.

Entertainment is entirely subjective so all that really matters is how much one personally enjoyed a show and personally I found it mostly boring. So in that sense it's silly to propose we only rate shows based on the context of their genre. HOWEVER yes if one were to try to "objectively" rate a show you can either [A] rate it based on how enjoyable it will be to fans of its genre or [B] rate it based on how enjoyable it will be to the broader (in this case anime consuming) audience. Which is why I specifically mentioned all three stating that if you're a fan of the Iyashikei and Yokai genres it's probably a masterpiece but if a broader audience was exposed to this show most would not enjoy it and its score would drop significantly. And whilst I can applaud what it does well, it doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day I was not entertained the majority of the time I watched this show.

WONDERLESS169 said:
I dont wanna commit suicide but these neagtive reviews make me very upset. Like dont watch this expecting it to act like demon slayer or something. Its called Natsume's book of friends this is clearly not the same vibe. I hate how shounentards act like the only way to write a story is like any typical shounen does. It really makes anime look one dimensional if we start treating the medium like that.

Shounen is a minority of avid anime viewers (especially the kind of people who would use this site) and ironically the majority of people really into the shounen genre usually don't watch a lot of anime outside of it (just a few ongoing shonen shows at any given time maybe the occasional action heavy one/two cour every now and then). That's not most people who negatively reviewed this show. The people who gave negative reviews did so because it's a genuinely boring show for your typical person. This show would have a FAR lar lower score and FAR more negative reviews if a broader audience had at all had decided to watch this show. But for the most part only fans of its genres knew it existed and bothered to watched it so the score ended up being super hyper inflated.

And whilst personally I'm more of a fan of shows with strong characters and strong plots, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a "chill" / "supernatural" / "storytime" type show like this too. Beautiful semi-similar shows with a foot planted in this one's genres (instead of both) of like The Ancient Magus' Bride or Restaurant To Another World or Violet Evergarden were all great to me even though they're definitely not my typical kind of show. But this one just really leaned WAY to far into trying to be "cozy" to the point where unless you're REALLY into this kind of show; it's going to end up being pretty boring for your typical viewer who needs at least some level of stimulation from their entertainment. There's a reason the Iyashikei genre is so extremely niche.

Dude, majority of people waych shounen and it makes up a huge portion of anime especially whats highly rated and popular on this site lol. And I agree youre right about the subjectivity of art and etc but i think my real issue is your insult of the show by calling its viewers brain dead for enjoying something you don't enjoy. Other than that your opinion of not liking it cause its not your thing is a valid critique.
Feb 18, 2021 6:24 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
@Wonderless169 There's a massive difference between someone who casually watches anime time to time and an actual avid fan watching a bunch of shows every season. So whilst yes the majority of people who have watched anime before fall into the prior category (the kind who primarily watch shounen), the vast majority of people who are passionate enough about anime to even bother using a site like this to track what they watch and rate it and discuss it are almost certainly the later (the kind who rarely watch shounen).

I apologize if my post came off as accusing fans of this show as being brain dead, that's not what I meant by saying it wasn't "stimulating". Something like Natsume or Aria is relaxing through endearing but very calm and down to earth (often "feel good") character interactions and stories. This is different than say Micchiri Neko or Bananaya which really is brain dead achieving a relaxing feeling by just pushing cute inoffensive things interacting with one another on screen doing nothing of actual substance.

When I said Natsume isn't "stimulating" I meant that there is nothing to keep your typical viewer engaged. If someone enjoys this show because it relaxes them that's fine, that's certainly one reason to watch a show. But most people watch shows to be "entertained". Most people need some sort of character growth or plot progression to keep them consuming a show or at the very least some comedy or action or romance or cute stuff just something to make them smile to light up those synapses to trigger those chemicals in the brain to get some sort of thrilling feeling. Even most Slice Of Life shows usually have some form of progression or entertainment. But a show like Natsume is an Iyashikei almost entirely through and through it's focused on making the viewer feel good and relaxed, keeping them entertained is not a priority it's an afterthought.

Watching all the seasons of this show I figured I'd get some thrills from the stories it tells or yokai interactions etc but unfortunately through and through it's pure cozy relaxation fodder and whilst in that department it's masterfully done, that's just not enjoyable for most people.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Sep 29, 2008

190 by filoshi »»
Apr 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 25, 2008

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Mar 22, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ohmiharu - Jul 7, 2008

167 by filoshi »»
Feb 28, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Sep 18, 2008

106 by Ishitateso »»
Jan 21, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

datsunvic - Aug 13, 2008

146 by dont_ »»
Jan 21, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.