Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2015 2:38 AM

Apr 2013
You're spelling his name wrong. It's Shogo, not Shougo.

Check Psychp-Pass Official website for conformation if you must.

http://psycho-pass.com/

Jun 8, 2015 3:42 AM

Mar 2008
They wont change it. The romanji used on the MAL database is a standardized one. Both spellings are technically correct.
Jun 8, 2015 6:00 AM

Feb 2015
I'm definitely sure it is Shōgo
Jun 8, 2015 8:46 AM

Feb 2014
If a name is indicated with macrons, it will be spelled with either oo or ou.

Jun 8, 2015 9:35 AM

Apr 2013
Monstrum said:
I'm definitely sure it is Shōgo

Yep!

trebmeg said:

I'm sure the Official website knows how to spell his name.

( As well as the people who made it and Psycho-Pass )

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MasterTengkorakJun 8, 2015 12:24 PM
Jun 8, 2015 9:46 AM

Feb 2014
lllllllll said:
trebmeg said:

We are in MAL though.

Jun 8, 2015 10:01 AM
Mar 2011
thr extra u id bul shit sice it doe not exist in any Japanese siblabry
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 8, 2015 10:31 AM

Apr 2013
trebmeg said:
lllllllll said:

We are in MAL though.

Yeah. Well if youre going to be a website about anime and manga, at least get the fucking names right, or what's the point.
Jun 8, 2015 11:45 AM

Feb 2014
lllllllll said:
trebmeg said:

We are in MAL though.

Yeah. Well if youre going to be a website about anime and manga, at least get the fucking names right, or what's the point.

The romanization of character names in MAL are all like this if you noticed. It's for consistency. And Shougo is correct.

Jun 8, 2015 12:03 PM

Apr 2013
trebmeg said:
lllllllll said:

Shougo is correct.

No, it's not.

Again, I think they know how to spell his name, when they created him. I don't care if you think it's correct because you know Japanese or just being ignorant.
It's not correct.

Go on the Psycho-Pass offcial website

Go on Japanese Merch websites that sell Psycho-Pass stuff
They have Shogo Makishima Merch on there
With SHOGO Makishima written on them.

If Shougo was correct, then they would be using that, don't ya think?
Jun 8, 2015 12:19 PM

Feb 2014
@lllllll:

As I said earlier, the style of romanization in MAL is different. His name is Shōgo (with macrons, the line above letter o), so his name will be romanized as Shougo.

Jun 8, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2010
IT'S SHOUGO, CALM DOWN AND BEAR WITH IT.
Jun 8, 2015 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
trebmeg said:
@lllllll:

As I said earlier, the style of romanization in MAL is different. His name is Shōgo (with macrons, the line above letter o), so his name will be romanized as Shougo.

Why not put his name in as Shōgo then?
Why Change it, thats not how its spelt.
Jun 8, 2015 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
Nate-chan said:

NO
Jun 8, 2015 12:43 PM

Feb 2014
lllllllll said:
trebmeg said:
@lllllll:

MAL DB mods are using the revised hepburn romanization , that's why it is spelt like that. And I dont think they will change this style anytime soon. So we just gotta bear with it for now.

Jun 8, 2015 12:45 PM

Apr 2012
lllllllll said:
This is a good remark, and unfortunately, it seems the Japanese people don't have a problem with transcribing either o and long o (with macron) -- which are considered different in their own language -- with just "o". I was watching NHK news the other day, and even on a big corporate building main entrance (was something like Katou Electrics) the romaji were Kato (without macron) and not Katou. Well it's not their alphabet, who can blame them.
EratiKJun 10, 2015 4:00 AM
Jun 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Apr 2013
trebmeg said:
lllllllll said:

MAL DB mods are using the revised hepburn romanization , that's why it is spelt like that. And I dont think they will change this style anytime soon. So we just gotta bear with it for now.

I see. Well, That's dumb.
Jun 9, 2015 2:49 AM

Apr 2013
EratiK said:
lllllllll said:
This is a good remark, and unfortunately, it seems the Japanese people don't have a problem to transcribe either o and long o (with macron) -- which are considered different in their own language -- with just "o". I was watching NHK news the other day, and even on a big corporate building main entrance (was something like Katou Electrics) the romaji were Kato (without macron) and not Katou. Well it's not their alphabet, who can blame them.

Ohh
Jun 9, 2015 10:55 AM
Sep 2007
I always thought -ou, -oo, -oh or ō simply look ugly in japanese names, to be honest.
Jun 9, 2015 9:36 PM

Oct 2009
lllllllll said:
trebmeg said:
Shougo is correct.

No, it's not.

Again, I think they know how to spell his name, when they created him. I don't care if you think it's correct because you know Japanese or just being ignorant.
It's not correct.

Go on the Psycho-Pass offcial website

Go on Japanese Merch websites that sell Psycho-Pass stuff
They have Shogo Makishima Merch on there
With SHOGO Makishima written on them.

Official romanization doesn't mean a correct romanization, they know no better. Most Japans are clueless and know jack shit about how it works
Now it would be another story if MAL used official romanization where possible, but it doesn't.
Jun 9, 2015 11:05 PM

Feb 2015
trebmeg said:
@lllllll:

When you speak of Shōgo, which you agree that it is the right name, it is same as Shougo.
Jun 10, 2015 11:44 AM

Jun 2011
trebmeg said:
lllllllll said:

Why haven't they changed all instances of Tokyo to Toukyou, Kyoto to Kyouto, Osaka to Oosaka, etc?
Jun 10, 2015 12:09 PM

Oct 2009
Narmy said:
Why haven't they changed all instances of Tokyo to Toukyou, Kyoto to Kyouto, Osaka to Oosaka, etc?

They did change Osaka to Oosaka:
http://myanimelist.net/character/6870/Naru_Oosaka
http://myanimelist.net/character/25887/Mother_Oosaka (funny how they still use Osaka in her description)
But left Tokyo unchanged, however:
http://myanimelist.net/character/25017/Zero_Tokyo
SerhiykoJun 10, 2015 12:23 PM
Jun 10, 2015 12:25 PM

Jun 2011
There are still a bunch of anime that use Tokyo instead of Toukyou, and the tag for KyoAni produced anime is still Kyoto Animation, instead of Kyouto Animation. And here's one instance that they haven't fixed Osaka yet.

Not to mention all of the character and anime descriptions which still use the inconsistent city names.
Jun 11, 2015 6:41 AM

Apr 2012
Narmy said:
, and the tag for KyoAni produced anime is still Kyoto Animation, instead of Kyouto Animation.[/url]

Not to mention all of the character and anime descriptions which still use the inconsistent city names.
Except the official Japanese romanization for KyoAni is Kyoto Animation like you can see on their website. (see my Kato example a few posts above)

Also while I agree it's important to have faithful transcriptions of character names and anime titles, to use stuff like Toukyou or Oosaka in descriptions is just ridiculous. You have to understand Tokyo and Osaka in their usage are borrowings that have been used for a long time, that is they are now English words in their own right. It doesn't matter if the transcription is wrong, it's already too late. A bit like kendo, judo, etc... which are all correct forms in English. To keep to toponyms, it would be as unnecessary as calling Prague "Praha". As long as you're not using Czech, Prague is the correct form.
EratiKJun 11, 2015 6:45 AM
Jun 11, 2015 12:17 PM

Jun 2011
They've already made it clear that they don't care about official romanizations or familiarity, only consistency. It would be hypocritical of them to change all the character names that already have official romanizations, but not change all the city names as well.
Jun 11, 2015 12:34 PM

May 2014
Does it matter?

The ō in romanization sounds like ou sometimes, just deal with it, if you guys know how the name is spelled, and fans know too, then why get butt-hurt about it? This is a correct spelling translation for English, so just give it up, if you don't like it that much then don't look at it, everyone knows the name is spelled Shōgo, everyone knows that, but you have to understand MAL uses a specific texting code, so just deal with it.

Listen to trebmeg obviously he wouldn't be in the position that he is in, if he didn't know that!
Jun 12, 2015 1:12 PM

Apr 2013
lllllllll said:
Nate-chan said:

NO

it is. adding the u is using the waapuro (word proessor) typing style instead of using macrons which cannot be used with standard keyboard without entering a specific code each time (or copy pasting it from somewhere).

Either you put a macron or you put a supplementary u, but you don't remove both. Shogo isn't pronounced the same as 聖護. It's pronounced with a longer o, which in western country when romanizing japanese will be shown by a macron (or a ô which is technically incorrect but looks closer of a macron so sometimes used by peoples with keyboard having that accent directly on it, like on french keyboards) over the "o" if you write it on a paper, or usually, with a supplementary u if you want to keep that "long o" information.
BTW, there are alternatives. We could go just fine with "Shohgo" as well.
Note that usually, japanese themselves don't care when they write a name to add the macron or the u and don't add it.

This is mostly used outside japan. This site isn't japanese, hence why we use an occidental system. What is important here, is to be consistent in the end. If we choose a system for a part of it, we go with it for the whole database. The website database use a hepburn/waapuro combination for everything, hence, Shougo.

But then again, if you want to use a system japanese, they can change it to be Makisima Syōgo. Because if you argue that she should follow japanese standard instead and refuse to see waapuro, there is absolutely no reason to not go all the way and change every single name on the website from hepburn shiki into kunreishiki instead. You're going to get Singeki no Kyōzin, Musisi, and so on.

But well, I don't think it's time to change a whole database for such small thing, heh?

BTW, it's quite often that an anime official website doesn't romanize the names properly. The rokka no yuusha website for example misspelled 5 names out of the 7 they put on the website. Very trustworthy, for sure. That's because they didn't write that name in roman letter to tell people how it's pronounced, but for "cool effect". The persons who made the website just thought that it looked cool to have them romanized. So they also chose what seemed the "cooler" way to write it for them. Yep, that's it, really. That's why a lot of romanized names on official anime website are inconsistent and shouldn't be taken as a source for how that name should be written.
While I'm at it, it actually gets worse if you go to foreign official anime website. They don't even respect the one in the japanese official website, getting them even more wrong there.
ZefyrisJun 12, 2015 1:21 PM
Jun 17, 2015 7:15 AM

Jun 2014
Zefyris said:
lllllllll said:

NO

it is. adding the u is using the waapuro (word proessor) typing style instead of using macrons which cannot be used with standard keyboard without entering a specific code each time (or copy pasting it from somewhere).

Either you put a macron or you put a supplementary u, but you don't remove both. Shogo isn't pronounced the same as 聖護. It's pronounced with a longer o, which in western country when romanizing japanese will be shown by a macron (or a ô which is technically incorrect but looks closer of a macron so sometimes used by peoples with keyboard having that accent directly on it, like on french keyboards) over the "o" if you write it on a paper, or usually, with a supplementary u if you want to keep that "long o" information.
BTW, there are alternatives. We could go just fine with "Shohgo" as well.
Note that usually, japanese themselves don't care when they write a name to add the macron or the u and don't add it.

This is mostly used outside japan. This site isn't japanese, hence why we use an occidental system. What is important here, is to be consistent in the end. If we choose a system for a part of it, we go with it for the whole database. The website database use a hepburn/waapuro combination for everything, hence, Shougo.

But then again, if you want to use a system japanese, they can change it to be Makisima Syōgo. Because if you argue that she should follow japanese standard instead and refuse to see waapuro, there is absolutely no reason to not go all the way and change every single name on the website from hepburn shiki into kunreishiki instead. You're going to get Singeki no Kyōzin, Musisi, and so on.

But well, I don't think it's time to change a whole database for such small thing, heh?

BTW, it's quite often that an anime official website doesn't romanize the names properly. The rokka no yuusha website for example misspelled 5 names out of the 7 they put on the website. Very trustworthy, for sure. That's because they didn't write that name in roman letter to tell people how it's pronounced, but for "cool effect". The persons who made the website just thought that it looked cool to have them romanized. So they also chose what seemed the "cooler" way to write it for them. Yep, that's it, really. That's why a lot of romanized names on official anime website are inconsistent and shouldn't be taken as a source for how that name should be written.
While I'm at it, it actually gets worse if you go to foreign official anime website. They don't even respect the one in the japanese official website, getting them even more wrong there.

This is pretty spot on. Its difficult to type Shōgo on a standard keyboard and this would lead to all sorts of problems if people were to try and search for characters or people with macrons in its name.

MAL can't even handle multiple names in a search, so if you were a few letters off when trying to search for a character or person, or if you searched for Shogo instead of Shougo, it would just come up with no matching results.

There is no point in changing the name as its a lot of extra work for a very little adjustment.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1396 by RuiKirisuke »»
Apr 22, 9:24 AM

» Norio Wakamoto did narration for Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu 2

ryu2k2 - Apr 21

0 by ryu2k2 »»
Apr 21, 6:17 AM

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Apr 18, 1:45 AM

» Character Picture Move Request

SimpleXtra - Apr 17

0 by SimpleXtra »»
Apr 17, 3:39 AM

» Character Picture Change Request

queserasera - Apr 16

0 by queserasera »»
Apr 16, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.