Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2015 12:15 PM

Jun 2015
I have heard about Berserk a lot and i plan to watch it soon.I know that there is an anime series then three movies and manga.I'm pretty sure i would read the manga at last but how should i go with Anime and its movie.
Anime then Movies or Movies then Anime or just one of them and then continue where it left of in manga?
Jun 6, 2015 9:23 PM

Mar 2014
Just start from the manga! I started Berserk 2 weeks ago and read straight from the first volume.

I've heard the anime leaves shit out and is not a perfect adaption. As for the movies, after I read the arc that the movies adapted, I watched some AMVs of the movies on YT and the art & animation of them don't seem to do justice to how beautiful the graphics of the manga was.

Jun 7, 2015 3:19 AM

Jan 2012
Just read the manga from Chapter 1.
Jun 7, 2015 5:40 AM
Jan 2014
Read the manga first. The anime series, even though its good, still isn't a 1:1 adaptation of the series and there are many changes. So the manga is the best option to go with.
Watch the anime series or the movies after that. Both of them cover a common saga from the manga. Though the movies left out way more stuff from the manga.
SNSConnectionJun 7, 2015 7:19 AM
Jun 7, 2015 5:52 AM

May 2014
watch the anime, it ends at a cliffhanger but its all EXTREMELY predictable from there on out so no point at all in continuing it ... anime sums up all the development and all the characters stories PERFECTLY and it has a really nice conclusion .... the rest of the manga is just pointless gore whore material.
Jun 7, 2015 8:25 AM

Nov 2014
Personally I did not like the anime very much. The manga though is excellent (first arc is meh but the golden age arc is one of the best manga arcs I have read).
Jun 8, 2015 11:48 PM

Mar 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
watch the anime, it ends at a cliffhanger but its all EXTREMELY predictable from there on out so no point at all in continuing it ... anime sums up all the development and all the characters stories PERFECTLY and it has a really nice conclusion .... the rest of the manga is just pointless gore whore material.

Jun 9, 2015 12:49 AM

Jul 2010
I suggest you just read the manga first. The first arc in the manga was both cut out and changed in the anime adaptations. Watching the anime first will spoil the mystery of the first arc. The Golden Age arc in both the TV series and the films also suffers some cuts and changes which causes some discontinuity with the manga.

ZA_WAYD said:

There's so much wrong with this post.
DemiFiendRSAJun 9, 2015 12:53 AM
Jun 9, 2015 12:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Just read the manga. That's literally all you need
Jun 9, 2015 11:47 PM

Sep 2008
If you want to satisfy your urge for an animated Berserk, check out the films and TV series; I've only ever seen the films, but the MANGA is THE BEST way to get into it, as the scope of characters and plot-lines proceed in such a way, that IMHO feels more natural and developed in manga form. Nothing wrong with the anime adaptions, but in Berserk's case, the source material takes priority every-time. Enjoy the ride, it's an awesome manga.
Jun 12, 2015 1:28 PM

Feb 2012
really, it doesn't matter. so far, the content of the movie series was covered in the anime series iirc. the anime series leaves out a lot of important details from the manga and leaves off on a large cliffhanger. imo it would be better to either start with the anime series, or to not watch the anime series to begin with and only read the manga. but i wouldn't recommend reading the manga and then watching the anime series, because details will feel distorted
Jun 13, 2015 1:04 AM

Mar 2014
MrMik1995 said:
OtakuMike said:
If you want to satisfy your urge for an animated Berserk, check out the films and TV series; I've only ever seen the films, but the MANGA is THE BEST way to get into it, as the scope of characters and plot-lines proceed in such a way, that IMHO feels more natural and developed in manga form. Nothing wrong with the anime adaptions, but in Berserk's case, the source material takes priority every-time. Enjoy the ride, it's an awesome manga.

Now that most comments suggest manga then i'll start up with manga and then watch its anime.

Jun 18, 2015 4:09 AM
Jun 2015
Good...Good....Actually good
Jun 18, 2015 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
I think you should start at chapter 7 of the manga or episode 2 of the original anime. There are things mentioned and spoiled before in the early chapter which could give you a better experience if you don't know about them.
Jun 24, 2015 3:48 PM
Jul 2011
Manga then coin toss between anime or the 3 current movies , they both currently cover about the same material but the movies will have more animated material (either more movies or OAVs) in the future.

Honestly the parts the anime TV series did cover was nice but it didn't age well. It will feel very dated if you're not used to "older anime" style. Soundtrack is great (Forces!).

The movies are way easier on the eyes outside of the some arkward CGI moments. However the movies glosses over points that would help flesh out characters or situations more to quickly get pass material the TV anime series already went covered since it infamously ended on a cliffhanger (which is why you should be reading the manga). The effect of this is the movies, while visually nice, feels like a much more shallow experience than the anime TV series.
Jul 13, 2015 12:01 AM

May 2015
MrMik1995 said:
I have heard about Berserk a lot and i plan to watch it soon.I know that there is an anime series then three movies and manga.I'm pretty sure i would read the manga at last but how should i go with Anime and its movie.
Anime then Movies or Movies then Anime or just one of them and then continue where it left of in manga?

Well I mean, I haven't watched the movie(heard it was good), but I watched the anime a looong while ago and read the manga recently and I'd say both are fine. The anime, I believe because of some legitimate issues(money or release schedule i guess), didn't really 'end' at all. It finishes at the manga's(great) kickoff.

I'd say check out the manga first and once you're caught up, you can check out the anime and movie too. Neither are really the wrong way to go though, but they haven't really ended.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 22, 2016 3:34 PM
Jun 2016
Manga is nice but if you start with the anime you will not miss anything,.... it will just even make it more interesting to read the manga's. But the arc's are just so bad that i can't believe how some people here who pretend to be berserker reader or fans can recommend you to watch them. The anime is even if it miss much excellent because of the situations and the atmosphere. Everything fit's, the voice's, the music, it's just Epic, while the movies look like a bad videogame and give you the feeling of a work without heart in it.
Jun 22, 2016 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
watch anime, fuck the movies then read the manga from the beginning because there are changes and plus the soundtrack for the anime is just perfection, suits it so damn well.

u'll have the perfect character voices in your head when read the manga too.

movies just have a few extra bits but there not worth it.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 22, 2016 9:15 PM

Sep 2015
Watch the anime, skip the first two movies if you want, watch the third movie, then read the manga from the first unlabled chapters. Then you may go onto the new one.
Or
Just read the manga from the first unlabled chapters. Then go into the 90s anime, then to the new one coming out.
Jun 22, 2016 11:01 PM

May 2015
The movies don't seem to cut anything too important initially, but they cut sooome arcs that's sooomewhat important(and good). So Anime> Manga > Movies in order. Time is the only thing that matters after that point. The movies have an average 8 rating, many will have criticisms for all but their all well liked, generally speaking.

Back to the time issue, there's no point in not watching every one of those. Anime/Manga before the movies. I would absolutely say anime first, because there's something that has a bigger punch to it if you haven't read it. But the manga is fine too. Really, to say the anime "isn't a perfect adaption" is saying too little. The anime had money issues or something and is, technically speaking, incomplete and cuts some stuff(not that it isn't good). You're gonna lose some impact on one of them either way.

But the only vital part is to watch the movies last. Not before or after the anime or manga. Not so much as my opinion, but speaking from a chronological standpoint(not a personal one) it doesn't matter as long as you watch the movies last.

Personally, I say watch the anime first, because of an impactful ending, but it doesn't really matter. The anime cuts stuff, but you plan to read the manga anywho right?

The movies are for if you really liked the manga and want to see it continued in better animation. It went from cutting some to cutting a bit more than some, but if you liked the manga I would say no problem going to look at any of them. Of course, it's not necessary, and you might not like it, but why not try right?
ashfrliebertJun 22, 2016 11:26 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ

More topics from this board

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Yesterday, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Apr 23, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Apr 23, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 18, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.