Forum Settings
Forums

XCOM 2 has just been announced as a PC exclusive (for now)

New
Jun 2, 2015 5:24 AM

Oct 2014
The hardcore strategy franchise is back and is going to be released in November. It will be a direct sequel to the 2012 reboot, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and will take place 20 years after the events of said reboot. Sadly, for fans of Enemy Unknown, it seems all our effort was for naught. XCOM lost the war and the aliens now rule the world. Now, XCOM are no longer the defenders, they are the guerrilla forces that are striking at the alien rulers in the hope of freeing mankind.

While I am more of a PC gamer, I am disappointed to hear that Firaxis has no plans to release XCOM 2 on consoles. I think a good game should be played by everyone, regardless of platform. I think the main reason is due to the fact that Enemy Unknown was overwhelmingly popular on the PC but was more of an afterthought on consoles. Consoles don't usually get strategy games and console gamers don't usually like strategy games in the first place.

But for console gamers who actually liked XCOM, I hope somehow Firaxis reconsiders. Who knows? They might release it on the PC first, with console releases coming later. For now, break out the gamepad for the PC instead.
Khaosman-OSAJun 2, 2015 5:31 AM
Jun 2, 2015 8:02 AM

Oct 2011
Fucking called it! I knew their console sales were a disappointment.

The hardcore strategy franchise is back

Cute. I always saw the X-Com games as strategy-lite. When i want the real deal, I launch JA2 1.13.
LipiJun 2, 2015 2:18 PM
Jun 2, 2015 10:34 PM

Mar 2008
I read EW was very buggy on PS3, so I guess this doesn't surprise me. I've only played EU so far.

I hope they put a little more effort into the storytelling for this one, since that aspect of the game felt completely neglected in EU. Some of the dialogue was borderline comical from sounding so cliche and forced, but I had a lot of fun with the gameplay nonetheless. It is a shame that there are so few strategy games on consoles.
Jun 2, 2015 10:40 PM

Aug 2013
Having the aliens won and now xcom been a resistance is a ballsy move story wise. Should mix it up nicely.
Jun 2, 2015 11:22 PM

Aug 2013
Xcom only suited pc anyway
huh
Jun 3, 2015 12:21 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
I think they should be concerned with delivering the best experience on PC before anything else.

And for anyone who hasn't played EU yet it just so happens to be on sale 75% off on steam right now for the next ten odd hours.
Jun 3, 2015 4:25 AM

Feb 2013
I hope that you get more than humans but some rouge Aliens as well. That be cool.
Jun 3, 2015 4:30 AM

Feb 2013
Fui said:
I read EW was very buggy on PS3, so I guess this doesn't surprise me. I've only played EU so far.

I hope they put a little more effort into the storytelling for this one, since that aspect of the game felt completely neglected in EU. Some of the dialogue was borderline comical from sounding so cliche and forced, but I had a lot of fun with the gameplay nonetheless. It is a shame that there are so few strategy games on consoles.

They have a lot they can do with this game. To make it even better. It was a great game but not nearly prefect.
+ the different setup adds different possible gameplay elements.
Jun 3, 2015 8:11 AM

Apr 2011
PC MASTER RACE

again, I hope it runs on my PC. I liked XCOM enemy within even though it's heavy RNG natures made me rage quit a lot of times. MISSING 90+% SHOTS 6 TIMES IN A ROW LOL.

Please do something about RNG in this sequel

According to the trailer, there's going to be melee weapons. That's interesting (not very realistic though lol)
ValaskjalfJun 3, 2015 8:15 AM
Jun 3, 2015 8:38 AM

Mar 2008
Valaskjalf said:
I liked XCOM enemy within even though it's heavy RNG natures made me rage quit a lot of times. MISSING 90+% SHOTS 6 TIMES IN A ROW LOL.

Please do something about RNG in this sequel
Yeah the RNG was kind of annoying, though I'm not sure how they would resolve that (trying to stun ayyliens was pretty rage inducing at times). Unfortunately, with hit-or-miss RNG it can be difficult to guarantee success despite having a large safety buffer.

Valkyria Chronicles felt more "fair," albeit less realistic. There was RNG in the scope accuracy, but the damage scaling was heavily affected by distance and weapon type. Basically, you had a better idea of what to expect based on your position, weapon, and enemy type.

Another thing I felt that was kind of dumb in EU was how stepping within alien pop range could cost you heavily. For that reason there's this whole aspect of creeping up slowly and making sure that you don't move up too far with your last turns. Kind of a silly mechanic IMO, although that's just how the game deals with spawning enemies.
Aug 19, 2015 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
Everytime an NPC says "Commander" in XCOM, I get this real tingly feeling. I look forward to this game, it was my GOTY.
Aug 19, 2015 6:49 PM

Oct 2010
november 2015 thats soon fuck, i need to make time

hope its as good as the first one, minus the flaws
lots of music -
Aug 19, 2015 8:30 PM

Oct 2014
OkayCaim said:
Everytime an NPC says "Commander" in XCOM, I get this real tingly feeling. I look forward to this game, it was my GOTY.

It was my GOTY that year too. It will be one of the best games this year for sure but I think it will be overshadowed by all the huge releases like Phantom Pain and Fallout 4.
Aug 20, 2015 2:17 AM

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
9 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.