Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2015 12:01 AM

Nov 2011
I don't get the fascination with this group yet I see them brought up frequently here. Beastie Boys and Public enemy were better.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 1, 2015 12:43 AM
Feb 2014
Don't you dare hate on Wu Tang Clan. They're probably one of the best East Coast Hip Hop acts in history. I'd consider them influential to many rappers today.

Jun 1, 2015 12:45 AM

Nov 2011
Nicoreos said:
Don't you dare hate on Wu Tang Clan. They're probably one of the best East Coast Hip Hop acts in history. I'd consider them influential to many rappers today.

:/
Jun 1, 2015 1:08 AM
Apr 2013
Edgy people
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Jun 1, 2015 11:55 AM
Sep 2013
Aureolus said:
Edgy people

how the fuck is liking wutang "Edgy"?

diversify your bonds, nigga
bbrianJun 1, 2015 12:00 PM
Jun 1, 2015 12:16 PM

Nov 2011
amazingbrian said:
Aureolus said:
Edgy people

Oh nigga is a racist word :(
Jun 1, 2015 12:18 PM

Feb 2014
Nicoreos said:

You tell him, Nico.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Jun 1, 2015 12:19 PM

Dec 2013
I'm not that experienced in Hip-Hop, but "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" is just fuckin god-tier.
Jun 1, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2013
the Wu-Tang pretty much introduced the boombap sound that ruled the East Coast during the first half of the 90s to the mainstream public and were just incredibly influential and original for that time. they were the perfect example of the Golden Era NY hiphop sound. besides that their creativity was crazy, from the backstories behind their names to RZA sampling old Shaolin/Kung-Fu movies in his beats.

they put out some great albums including the masterpiece 36 Chambers and most Wu-Tang members dropped memorable solo albums (Liquid Swords, Onlu Built 4 Cuban Linx, Supreme Clientele to name a few), leading towards some succesful solo careers.

however, they haven't been what they used to be for quite some time now imo.
Jun 1, 2015 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
They ain't nothing to fuck with.
Jun 1, 2015 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
1017 said:
the Wu-Tang pretty much introduced the boombap sound that ruled the East Coast during the first half of the 90s to the mainstream public and were just incredibly influential and original for that time. they were the perfect example of the Golden Era NY hiphop sound. besides that their creativity was crazy, from the backstories behind their names to RZA sampling old Shaolin/Kung-Fu movies in his beats.

they put out some great albums including the masterpiece 36 Chambers and most Wu-Tang members dropped memorable solo albums (Liquid Swords, Onlu Built 4 Cuban Linx, Supreme Clientele to name a few), leading towards some succesful solo careers.

Lmao Imma assume das how they got their name from dope asian movies.
Jun 1, 2015 2:57 PM

Feb 2014
1017 said:

Their last album was so bland :(
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Jun 1, 2015 9:09 PM

May 2015
Migos is the greatest
Jun 1, 2015 9:35 PM

Jun 2014
goatkage said:
Migos is the greatest
Jun 2, 2015 2:31 AM

Aug 2014
36 Chambers is a top 5 all-time hip hop album. The real question should be, what's the big deal about Tupac?
Jun 2, 2015 3:40 AM

Apr 2014
2pac is catchier, outside of the immaculate piano sample in CREAM, which is the only thing I like from Wu-Tang.

I don't get why people worship the hyper-aggressive, tryhard style that Wu-Tang popularized. It's just off-putting, and more about impressing than expressing. East coast in general is often like that. It's very hard and straightforward tracks that are mainly just platforms for a showcasing of wordplay prowess (very different from actual lyrical talent). West and southern were more funky and musical, and the rappers had infinitely less pretension of being serious lyricists. They were more of a proper extension of disco, which is where the music started and is naturally oriented towards.
Jun 2, 2015 3:42 AM
Mar 2011
they were good but not as good Ts were when pun was alive or NWA or BPD and so on but they were good

but not one of the of them as single rappers were as good as Big L and lot of the rappers of there time there were beter than the some of there parts

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 2, 2015 3:53 AM

Jun 2014
I like them. Not quite Public Enemy (but then again, who is?) but far more enjoyable than what most other hip hop artists tend to offer. I don't listen to hip-hop too often but when I do then Wu-Tang are one of my go-to artists.
Jun 2, 2015 4:30 AM

Mar 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
36 Chambers is a top 5 all-time hip hop album. The real question should be, what's the big deal about Tupac?

yooo man west coast thug life fuck Biggie!!!!11!!!!!!!!1!!111!!!!!!
Jun 2, 2015 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
'Cause Wu-Tang is for the children. Btw OP, you best protect ya neck! Oh and you need to diversify yo bonds, nigga.

1017 said:
ImaginaryFire said:

yooo man west coast thug life fuck Biggie!!!!11!!!!!!!!1!!111!!!!!!
"That's why I fucked your bitch, you fat motherfucker". Inane questions are inane
Jun 2, 2015 9:08 AM
Apr 2013
amazingbrian said:
Aureolus said:
Edgy people

That reaction alone proves my point.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Jun 2, 2015 9:29 AM

Jun 2013
I like Public Enemy more too, but I'm not taking anything away from the Wu-Tang Clan.
Jun 2, 2015 11:06 AM

Aug 2013
Aureolus said:
amazingbrian said:

That reaction alone proves my point.

No it doesn't lol, not in the slightest. Get off your high horse.
Jun 2, 2015 11:32 AM
Jun 2014
What's the big deal about The Beatles?
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jun 2, 2015 11:33 AM

Aug 2013
LashLethal said:

What's the big deal about any musician?

Music is for plebz.
Jun 2, 2015 12:28 PM

Aug 2013
In all seriousness,

Altairius said:
I don't get why people worship the hyper-aggressive, tryhard style that Wu-Tang popularized. It's just off-putting, and more about impressing than expressing. East coast in general is often like that. It's very hard and straightforward tracks that are mainly just platforms for a showcasing of wordplay prowess (very different from actual lyrical talent). West and southern were more funky and musical, and the rappers had infinitely less pretension of being serious lyricists. They were more of a proper extension of disco, which is where the music started and is naturally oriented towards.

I wouldn't call Wu-Tang tryhard. At least not 36 Chambers, which is obviously their famed/acclaimed album. I know some of the lyrics are abrasive and graphic, but it's actually a pretty carefree and humorous album, albeit the humor can be described as twisted.

But Wu-Tang could "express" when they wanted to. They have plenty of thought-provoking and serious songs. To be fair though, I won't say you're completely wrong with your statement that a decent portion of their tracks are just to showcase wordplay talent rather than lyrical talent. I understand what you mean. Braggadocious tracks have always been a staple in the hip-hop genre though. Pretty much every rapper I can think of has a song like that.
Jun 2, 2015 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
Wu-Tang had a lot of individual artists (ODB, RZA, GZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killa, Raekwon) who went on to have successful and influential solo careers. As a group they ruled East Coast hip hop for much of the early 90's.
Jun 2, 2015 1:50 PM

Nov 2011
LashLethal said:
I've explained this before. Do I need to do it again?
Jun 2, 2015 5:53 PM

Dec 2014
They're both bad. IMHO.
Jun 2, 2015 7:33 PM

Nov 2011
Bloodshade said:
They're both bad. IMHO.
both who?
Jun 2, 2015 8:16 PM

Dec 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Bloodshade said:
They're both bad. IMHO.
both who?

Beatles and Wu-Tang.
Jun 2, 2015 8:29 PM

Nov 2011
Bloodshade said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
both who?

Beatles and Wu-Tang.

Then who's good?
Jun 2, 2015 8:54 PM

Dec 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Bloodshade said:

Beatles and Wu-Tang.

Then who's good?

Anything I like. The list would be pretty long.
I don't really like rap music so its all bad to me. So, can't really objectively judge an artist of that genre. i wouldn't know what to listen for.

As for Beatles, they were mediocre (not bad), but they weren't great. Its just that I find them to be extremely overrated.

Majority of the music I listen to is metal which varies greatly depending the sub-genre.

Here is some of the stuff I've transferred over to my new media player. I have a lot more, but this is all I have added for now.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.
Jun 2, 2015 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
The big deal is fury in my eyes sword on my side.

Jun 3, 2015 5:34 AM

Apr 2014
amazingbrian said:
Aureolus said:
Edgy people

I wouldn't say edgy per se, but middle-class/rich white kids being way into Wu-Tang and other gangsta rap was always cringeworthy to me. I'm not saying they can't like it at all, but there were kids who listened to almost nothing but rap, and it's like... motherfucker you grew up in Laguna Beach. It's good to be rich and white, embrace it.
Jun 3, 2015 11:22 AM

Sep 2013
The big deal about Wu Tang is that before you even had a name, you were screaming "WU TANG".
[/size]
Jun 3, 2015 3:26 PM

Mar 2013
Altairius said:
amazingbrian said:

I wouldn't say edgy per se, but middle-class/rich white kids being way into Wu-Tang and other gangsta rap was always cringeworthy to me. I'm not saying they can't like it at all, but there were kids who listened to almost nothing but rap, and it's like... motherfucker you grew up in Laguna Beach. It's good to be rich and white, embrace it.

so you're basically saying that if you're white and/or rich you shouldn't listen to hiphop because it isn't made for 'your kind of people'? I'm sorry but if you think there are any age, race, sex or income boundaries to any music genre you're a bellend.
Jun 3, 2015 4:20 PM

Apr 2014
I'm saying it seems phony. There's no way they actually relate to it, and that's important in such a lyrical genre. If anything I respect those rappers much more than they do, in that I don't listen to them ironically like a lot of kids seem to. I listen casually, once in a while with an outsider's interest. I don't doubt they also like it on some level, but there's an air of jokingness to it, like they're kind of making fun of the music too.

Part of it is also that they can vicariously feel like a badass with this music, momentarily escaping their sheltered existence without having to deal with the hardship those guys did. But for example, I don't belittle a guy like Eminem, because he actually grew up in similar circumstances. I know there's the nerdy hip hop too, but honestly that style has always seemed inherently awkward to me. None of the best hip hop falls into that category. Hip hop, as it appears to me, is a music born from necessity and struggle, minimalistic and lyrical in order to convey a message, and of course as dance music.
Jun 3, 2015 6:31 PM

Aug 2010
Quite enjoyed this thread so far tbh. Keep it going.
Jun 3, 2015 8:09 PM

Aug 2014
Altairius said:
I'm saying it seems phony. There's no way they actually relate to it, and that's important in such a lyrical genre. If anything I respect those rappers much more than they do, in that I don't listen to them ironically like a lot of kids seem to. I listen casually, once in a while with an outsider's interest. I don't doubt they also like it on some level, but there's an air of jokingness to it, like they're kind of making fun of the music too.

Part of it is also that they can vicariously feel like a badass with this music, momentarily escaping their sheltered existence without having to deal with the hardship those guys did. But for example, I don't belittle a guy like Eminem, because he actually grew up in similar circumstances. I know there's the nerdy hip hop too, but honestly that style has always seemed inherently awkward to me. None of the best hip hop falls into that category. Hip hop, as it appears to me, is a music born from necessity and struggle, minimalistic and lyrical in order to convey a message, and of course as dance music.

I disagree with you on that.
Jun 3, 2015 10:51 PM

Dec 2014
-shotz said:
Bloodshade said:

Anything I like. The list would be pretty long.
I don't really like rap music so its all bad to me.
wtf if you dislike rap in general your opinion on wu-tang is pretty much meaningless anyway.

OT- wu-tang is great. as far as non-guitar driven music goes, 36 chambers is probably my favorite record. some amazing songs on that record.

Everyone's opinion is meaningless. That's news to you?
Jun 4, 2015 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
ImaginaryFire said:

You tryin' to start a war you bitch ass nigga?
Jun 4, 2015 9:29 AM

Aug 2014
Bacardi-x-Cola said:
ImaginaryFire said:

No, just stating that I believe to be true. Tupac is incredibly overrated. People only worship him because he got killed. His music frankly is average. Yeah, he talks about "deep shit," but so do many other rappers. I'm saying this as a guy who was obsessed with Tupac growing up. He's not that great.
Jun 4, 2015 9:45 AM

Jun 2015
36 Chambers was revolutionary, Wu-Tang Forever was a masterpiece.
Everything thereafter was forgettable.
Jun 4, 2015 9:48 AM

Apr 2014
ImaginaryFire said:
Altairius said:

I disagree with you on that.

That's not the part I expected people to disagree on.
Jun 4, 2015 11:38 AM

Sep 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
Bacardi-x-Cola said:

No, just stating that I believe to be true. Tupac is incredibly overrated. People only worship him because he got killed. His music frankly is average. Yeah, he talks about "deep shit," but so do many other rappers. I'm saying this as a guy who was obsessed with Tupac growing up. He's not that great.

AAAWWWWWWW SHIT!
(Biggie was better than Pac imho, so I'm kinda with you on this one - but dayum son...)
[/size]
Jun 4, 2015 1:28 PM
Sep 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
Bacardi-x-Cola said:

Big L > tupac

sad that big l doesn't get the same amount of worship
Jun 4, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
PhilFightmaster said:
ImaginaryFire said:

AAAWWWWWWW SHIT!
(Biggie was better than Pac imho, so I'm kinda with you on this one - but dayum son...)

I never got this. Supposedly Ready to Die is better than any Pac album, but I see it as only having a few ok tunes, and none are all that catchy. Pac on the other hand has several catchy tunes, and a more substantial discography. Maybe BIG had a more believable persona, but I don't see why I should care.
Jun 4, 2015 4:20 PM

Aug 2014
Altairius said:
PhilFightmaster said:

AAAWWWWWWW SHIT!

I never got this. Supposedly Ready to Die is better than any Pac album, but I see it as only having a few ok tunes, and none are all that catchy. Pac on the other hand has several catchy tunes, and a more substantial discography. Maybe BIG had a more believable persona, but I don't see why I should care.

For one, Tupac's flow and lyrical dexterity are a joke compared to Biggie's.
Jun 4, 2015 10:33 PM

Sep 2013
ImaginaryFire said:
Altairius said:

For one, Tupac's flow and lyrical dexterity are a joke compared to Biggie's.

And this:

Biggie was a man made out of feelings, and I really dig the way he put his feelings into words. And Sky is the Limit might be his very best track in that regard. Tupac had amazing taste when it came down to pure inspiration, but I don't think he encapsulated his genius that well in his songs most of the times (exception: the 7 day theory. which is just fucking genius all around).
[/size]
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
59 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
3 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
3 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.