Forum Settings
Forums

Grammar question: Is this a complex sentence?

New
May 31, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2014
I've got to come up with five examples, but I'm worried that this one is wrong:

If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

(Taken from Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce)

Is this right? If it's not complex, what is it?

Thanks in advance! :D
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
May 31, 2015 1:42 PM

Sep 2009
A google search for complex sentences reveals a BBC Bitesize worksheet explaining what a complex sentence is: a single sentence which can be split into two or more shorter, complete sentences and which are joined together by a conjunction.

Tom hated Curry but loved Thai food. > Tom hated Curry. Tom loved Thai food.

Here's a worksheet. Figure it out for yourself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/factsheet/en28conn-l1-f-complex-sentences
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

May 31, 2015 1:44 PM
Mar 2013
It's complex.
May 31, 2015 1:49 PM
May 2015
Yeah that sentence is complex.

AnnoKano said:
A google search for complex sentences reveals a BBC Bitesize worksheet explaining what a complex sentence is: a single sentence which can be split into two or more shorter, complete sentences and which are joined together by a conjunction.

Bizarrely, that link is wrong.
edit: never mind. It's not wrong, you just interpreted it wrong, although it's hard to read. That's what it describes as a compound sentence.

Compound sentence = independent clause +(conj.) independent clause
Complex sentence = independent clause +(conj.) dependent clause
ParacleteMay 31, 2015 1:53 PM
May 31, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
AnnoKano said:

Usually I would appreciate this answer; it's the same thing I would have done, as I completely disagree with someone asking people on internet for homework help, but the fact of the matter is I've got a job interview on Thursday, and I'm anxious enough as it is. I was freaking out, worried that I'd got it wrong, which would have made me look rather stupid during the practical part of the day. Thanks for the link, though :)
JD2411 said:
It's complex.
Thanks for putting my mind at rest :D
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
May 31, 2015 1:52 PM
May 2015
Here's a good link about compound and complex sentences: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/573/02/

Yours is complex because it consists of two clauses:

"If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears" - dependent
"they were tears of anger" - independent

Mar 2014
Paraclete said:

AnnoKano said:

Thanks as well :)

I never trust those links. Usually, I trust my brain, but today it failed me :P

Thanks again!
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:

Mar 2014
Paraclete said:
Here's a good link about compound and complex sentences: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/573/02/

Yours is complex because it consists of two clauses:

"If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears" - dependent
"they were tears of anger" - independent
Thank you, too! :D
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:
May 31, 2015 1:54 PM
May 2015
NERigby96 said:
Paraclete said:

Thanks as well :)

I never trust those links. Usually, I trust my brain, but today it failed me :P

Thanks again!

Sorry, I'm actually wrong about calling it wrong. The link is correct, but what AnnoKanno described is wrong.
May 31, 2015 1:57 PM

Mar 2014
Thanks both of you :D
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:
May 31, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2014
NERigby96 said:
If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

Someone tell me why this sentence is considered correct?

Wouldn't "were" need to be replaced with "would be"?
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
May 31, 2015 7:21 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
What people above me have said
Jun 1, 2015 1:45 AM

Jan 2009
Zergneedsfood said:
Kenjataimu said:
Someone tell me why this sentence is considered correct?

Wouldn't "were" need to be replaced with "would be"?
No, it's fine. As far as I know, there's no real grammatical issue with the sentence. I think you're thinking that it's a tense issue, but both "allowed" and "were" are compatible and the only issue is a matter of comprehension tbh. On that point, "were" and "would be" would result in the sentence having different meanings.
The Sentence still sounds butchered:

If (standing alone on the back doorstep) Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.
Blue = Sub Clause/If Clause
Red = Main Clause

2nd If Clause: Sub Clause in Simple Past, Main Clause in Conditional Mood.
Unless it was considered correct grammatical Usage back then, I would say that the Past Subjunctive sounds wrong in the Sub Clause.

Also, I assumed it would have been "there were/would be" and not "they were/would be".

edit: I think I got it. My Fault for misinterpreting it as an If Clause:
If When (standing alone on the back doorstep) Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.
NoboruJun 2, 2015 9:11 AM
Jun 1, 2015 1:56 AM

Mar 2008
I am not grammar expert but it sounds awkward. Especially with the "If", which has a comma following it.
Jun 1, 2015 2:02 AM

Jan 2009
It's just an embedded Clause, but "they were" instead of "there were" still sounds awkward to me.
Basically, the embedded Clause (put in Brackets and crossed out) could stand alone in another Sentence and then the original Statement would look less "complex".

Of Course you could also say: "If Tom, who was standing...., allowed himself..." then that Part would be easier to understand.
NoboruJun 1, 2015 2:08 AM
Jun 1, 2015 2:13 AM
May 2015
I disagree with both traed and Noboru. The sentence is grammatical and it sounds okay to me. For what it's worth, if there were such a title as "grammar expert", I would have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_subjunctive#Distinguishing_from_past_indicative_after_if

- "If he was in class yesterday, he learned it." -

"[this] clause contains a simple past indicative, referring to past time (it is not known whether or not the circumstance in fact took place)."

This sentence is temporally analogous to the one in the OP and can clearly be seen here as a valid construction.
Jun 1, 2015 2:18 AM

Jan 2009
You're a bit late; I've already figured it out myself that it was a "when" Sentence. I even have the same Link above lol

Okay, if you're a "grammar expert", please explain the Difference between "there were" and "they were" when referring to the Tears.
Jun 1, 2015 2:21 AM
May 2015
OneGuy said:
NERigby96 said:
I've got to come up with five examples, but I'm worried that this one is wrong:

(Taken from Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce)

Is this right? If it's not complex, what is it?

Thanks in advance! :D

It's a run-on sentence.

If standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears. They were tears of anger.

No it isn't. And the correction you're suggesting has a sentence fragment.
e: and the correction totally changes the meaning.
ParacleteJun 1, 2015 2:26 AM
Jun 1, 2015 2:23 AM
May 2015
Noboru said:
You're a bit late; I've already figured it out myself that it was a "when" Sentence. I even have the same Link above lol

Okay, if you're a "grammar expert", please explain the Difference between "there were" and "they were" when referring to the Tears.

Sorry, didn't see the edit / last part of your post. My bad.

I don't understand your question though.
Jun 1, 2015 2:26 AM

Jan 2009
No Problem.

It's simple: I'm not used to having "they" as a potential Synonym to "there". Like "they were raindrops" instead of "there were raindrops". The former sounds strange to me.
Jun 1, 2015 2:27 AM
May 2015
Noboru said:
No Problem.

It's simple: I'm not used to having "they" as a potential Synonym to "there". Like "they were raindrops" instead of "there were raindrops". The former sounds strange to me.

'They' isn't being used as a synonym for 'there'. 'They' is a pronoun whose antecedent is 'tears'.
Jun 1, 2015 2:32 AM

Jan 2009
I see, it's basically the Plural of "it was" as opposed to the Plural of "there was".
That was the confusing Part, since I'm used to have "it were/are" in Plural Form for my native Language.
Jun 1, 2015 2:34 AM
May 2015
OneGuy said:
Paraclete said:

No it isn't. And the correction you're suggesting has a sentence fragment.
e: and the correction totally changes the meaning.

There are no fragments, but the meaning may have changed.

"If standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears." is a fragment. The first clause has no subject. It needs a subject for that to stand as a sentence.

An "if, then" sentence consists of two independent clauses. The first one is started by 'if', and the second is started by 'then' after a comma. "If standing alone on the back doorstep" is not an independent clause.
Jun 1, 2015 2:35 AM

Feb 2015
OneGuy said:

It's a run-on sentence.

If standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears. They were tears of anger.

The comma after 'If' implies that the condition is not 'whether or not Tom was standing on the back doorstep' but 'whether or not Tom was allowing himself to weep tears'. 'Standing alone on the back doorstep' is a clarification that is set aside from the clause structure with commas.

A restructuring of the sentence would look more like:
If Tom allowed himself to weep tears while standing alone on the back doorstep, they were (would have been?) tears of anger.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jun 1, 2015 2:42 AM
May 2015
icirate said:
they were (would have been?) tears of anger.

It can't be "would have been". That can only be paired with a protasis in the pluperfect tense e.g. "If tom *had* allowed himself".

It's simply "they were" (and also not "they would be" since it's not a counterfactual).
Jun 1, 2015 2:57 AM

Apr 2013
Yep. It sounds beautiful.
Jun 1, 2015 3:00 AM

Feb 2015
Paraclete said:
icirate said:
they were (would have been?) tears of anger.

It can't be "would have been". That can only be paired with a protasis in the pluperfect tense e.g. "If tom *had* allowed himself".

It's simply "they were" (and also not "they would be" since it's not a counterfactual).
I tend to have an awful habit of stuffing my sentences with extra phrases like that with a clear lack of regard[less of] as to whether or not they are actually required; it simply makes sentences sound nicer to me without any significant increase of effort on my part. hissssssssss

Jun 1, 2015 3:04 AM
May 2015
icirate said:
Paraclete said:

I tend to have an awful habit of stuffing my sentences with extra phrases like that with a clear lack of regard[less of] as to whether or not they are actually required; it simply makes sentences sound nicer to me without any significant increase of effort on my part. hissssssssss

At least you don't go out of your way to correct people's grammar on the internet.
Jun 1, 2015 7:28 AM

Nov 2014
JD2411 said:
It's complex.
Jun 2, 2015 7:35 AM

Jan 2014
For me, it's plain wrong. I'm not native English, so it can be that the structure is accepted, but... oh well, I wouldn't read a book where the writer just wants to show off grammar skills like that instead of telling a good and easy to understand story.

Forgetting the "standing alone on the back doorstep" (which would sound better in a separate sentence, but who cares), we have:
"If Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger."
I think it's wrong. I think it should be:

"If Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they WOULD HAVE BEEN tears of anger."

--
EDIT: Read some comments, and yes, replacing IF with WHEN, it would make sense.
Shiratori-sanJun 2, 2015 7:40 AM
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jun 2, 2015 7:39 AM
May 2015
Shiratori-san said:

This has a different meaning than the original sentence. This is a counterfactual: it means that the narrator is saying Tom did not allow himself to weep, but if he did, they would be tears of anger. And it should be 'had allowed' rather than just 'allowed' for that construction.

The original sentence implies that the narrator does not know whether or not Tom allowed himself to weep. He either did or he didn't, and they were tears of anger that he wept if he did indeed weep.
Jun 2, 2015 7:43 AM

Jan 2014
Paraclete said:
Shiratori-san said:

This has a different meaning than the original sentence. This is a counterfactual: it means that the narrator is saying Tom did not allow himself to weep, but if he did, they would be tears of anger. And it should be 'had allowed' rather than just 'allowed' for that construction.

The original sentence implies that the narrator does not know whether or not Tom allowed himself to weep. He either did or he didn't, and they were tears of anger that he wept if he did indeed weep.

Oh, I see! You're right! It makes sense now! I got confused with that "standing alone on the back doorstep" and got brain damage, ahaha (^_^)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jun 2, 2015 8:03 AM

Sep 2009
I have been humbled.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jun 3, 2015 7:07 AM

Mar 2014
Hey, guys! OP, here.

I've read the book (called Tom's Midnight Garden, which is brilliant, by the way, and everyone should check it out), and that's the opening sentence. Here, the author is revealing a facet of Tom's personality with the chosen phrasing. Tom, being a boy, thinks it is not becoming of him to cry, so he, through the narrator, denies having done. Or, if he did, it's because he was angry, and not because he was sad or anything like that.

In the book, Tom is upset because he has to go away. His brother is sick, and Tom's mother doesn't want him to get sick too, so she sends him away for the holidays. Tom would prefer to stay with his brother, and therefore, he cries.

But he doesn't want us to know that he cries, so the narrator 'has his back', as it were; she protects his feelings. Think of it from his point of view:

"If I did cry - and I'm not saying I did - they were tears of anger."

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I think it's really cool that my question spawned such discussion!
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:
Jun 3, 2015 7:26 AM

Feb 2015
NERigby96 said:

Thanks for sharing the context. That's really interesting understanding the implicit purpose of the sentence's phrasing. It makes sense that it was so carefully phrased too; it was the opening sentence.

Jun 3, 2015 7:39 AM

Feb 2015
It's overly confusing - if no one gets the sentiment you're trying to convey you've failed as a writer.
Jun 3, 2015 3:35 PM

Dec 2014
Is that a philosophical question with that sentence?
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 9 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 5 hours ago

1 by KitsuFrost »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.