Forum Settings
Forums

Does nostalgia play as big a factor in anime enjoyment as people make it out to be?

New
May 30, 2015 11:28 AM

Nov 2011
A lot of people seem to think people who are fans of anime like Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop only like these anime because of nostalgia. Honestly it sounds like elitism to me because they're saying these anime aren't that good to them so others can't possibly like them that much and are just blinded by rose tinted glasses. In a way it seems like an excuse to put down anime that are popular or they just don't like.
May 30, 2015 11:35 AM

Feb 2015
I think that nostalgia can only boost the score on show you already liked to begin with. Just nostalgia by itself cant or should not be excuse .

For example i always thought that digimon 01-and 02 were much more enjoyable then pokemon for me as kid and i still think that.
And i could still watch them again .

But pokemon i never liked that much to begin with stopped after i dont know early seasons it already blowed out and became same repetitive shit over again , so with time i just think that it is worse and worse in my mind .

ExowaveMay 30, 2015 11:39 AM
May 30, 2015 11:36 AM

Oct 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
A lot of people seem to think people who are fans of anime like Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop only like these anime because of nostalgia. Honestly it sounds like elitism to me because they're saying these anime aren't that good to them so others can't possibly like them that much and are just blinded by rose tinted glasses. In a way it seems like an excuse to put down anime that are popular or they just don't like.

I am a massive fan of DBZ, it is freiken awesome, I wish I could become a super saiyan. But I do think that if someone who has never watched it, watched it. Then they would be pretty bored. Especially with todays anime, and how fast-paced it is compared to DBZ.

But, I could be very wrong.
May 30, 2015 11:39 AM

Nov 2011
Camzarcar said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I am a massive fan of DBZ, it is freiken awesome, I wish I could become a super saiyan. But I do think that if someone who has never watched it, watched it. Then they would be pretty bored. Especially with todays anime, and how fast-paced it is compared to DBZ.

But, I could be very wrong.

Personally I'm a bigger fan of the Dragon Ball anime than the Dragon Ball Z anime (I consider the original Dragon ball the ultimate battle shounen). That said I still think I'd enjoy DBZ if I hadn't already seen it all as a kid however I did heavily enjoy the manga.
May 30, 2015 11:42 AM

Apr 2011
Nostalgia plays a huge factor when it comes to enjoyment. Why do you think that for every generation, the generation that comes after themselves is shit?
May 30, 2015 11:45 AM

Jun 2014
Yes, I doubt I'd love the Dragon Ball series (without GT) as much if I hadn't watched it as a kid but since I grew up with it & it's basically what got me into anime it'll always be a favorite regardless.
May 30, 2015 11:52 AM

Jul 2014
I don't know about others, but as far as I'm concerned, nostalgia do encourage me to watch the series that I watched as a kid, but that doesn't compromise my impartiality. Some of them are worse than I remember, some of them are better than I remember. Nostalgia doesn't mean a thing.
May 30, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
Sometimes.

When I re-watched Ninja Scroll last week, I probably enjoyed it about as much as I did when I first saw it in 1995. I'm not sure if nostalgia played a factor, but I don't care, nor am I going to bother with overthinking it.
May 30, 2015 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Aria-da-Capo said:
I don't know about others, but as far as I'm concerned, nostalgia do encourage me to watch the series that I watched as a kid, but that doesn't compromise my impartiality. Some of them are worse than I remember, some of them are better than I remember. Nostalgia doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah, same here. I watched Prince of Tennis a bunch as a kid, but when I decided to watch it a few months ago, I didn't really enjoy it.

I think nostalgia does play a big role for some people though.
May 30, 2015 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
I can say that one or two shows that I have only watched recently made me nostalgic for earlier times in my life. Non Non Biyori, for instance.
May 30, 2015 12:11 PM

Dec 2012
DBZ? yes
Dragonball manga? no
May 30, 2015 12:27 PM

Jul 2011
Yes
May 30, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
DBZ is actually entertaining so can see why older fans would remain fond of it, but for Bebop, it's just overrated plot-less garbage and I fail to see why people are complaining that modern anime isn't on its level.
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 30, 2015 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
Of course it does.
May 30, 2015 12:48 PM

Nov 2012
Isn't that the definition of nostalgia?

Nostalgia is defined as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations".

Literally if its nostalgia it technically is positive. So the question is honestly irrelevant.
May 30, 2015 12:49 PM

May 2015
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

Nostalgia is defined as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations".

Literally if its nostalgia it technically is positive. So the question is honestly irrelevant.

This.
May 30, 2015 12:54 PM

Apr 2008
Dragonball plays a large part in virtually every anime watcher's life. Over 20 years. There's also the international influence that keeps it strong, and the airing of Kai in this new era. Loved DB's comedy and Goku is a sweet pea. Z is cool as hell because of the brawls and ki attacks.

I think Bebop is super overrated, but I think it's also due to Western influence. Loved the SDTK and is definitely a cool show to sit on the couch and watch bounty hunter adventures.

The new Bebop is probably SNK/AoT. Adding more violence, fatality, lovely fluid animation, etc.
May 30, 2015 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
There's a difference between fond memories and blind nostalgia. I rewatched FMA last month which is one of my all time favorites and one of my earlier anime titles. Even after all of this time, it still stands strong and I have nothing but fond memories recalling it.

It would be a different story, however, if I were to hop onto the forums and say "wow anime is dying omg moeshit is cancer what happened to the good ole' days??? FMA was where its at modern anime is pure trash now." Especially if I only had 50 or less completed entries on my list.
May 30, 2015 12:57 PM

Sep 2014
I don't know. I started watching anime less than a year ago, so it's hard to say any anime has much of a nostalgia feel for me - other than Naruto which I watched/read way earlier.
May 30, 2015 2:01 PM

Nov 2011
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

Misunderstood what I meant.
May 30, 2015 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
FMA op 1 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 30, 2015 2:34 PM

Jan 2014
Hazuk4shii said:
Of course it does.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 30, 2015 2:35 PM

Apr 2015
Yes definitely. When I remember my old anime favorites, I still search for them if they're "available' FOR FREE. And yes, I still love them though, like Nadia the Secret of Blue Water.... way better plot than EVA.
#CHEXIT
May 30, 2015 2:46 PM

Sep 2013
Being natural allies, goku and quality would have sex and give birth to nostalgia.
May 30, 2015 2:56 PM

Aug 2014
I watched cowboy bebop for the first time last year and I still loved it.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 30, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2012
I think that nostalgia does play quite a big role myself.

Around a month ago I tried giving Digimon season 1 another try because I wanted to re-watch it before the movies came out.

I simply found myself staring at the screen in disbelief at how clouded my judgement was at the time and how I could possibly find it good to begin with, however I still kept watching despite the fact that I knew it was a bad show. I simply watched more because I recalled past things that happened and thus found myself clouded by nostalgia to keep watching.

The main question however. Did nostalgia cloud me from realizing that it is a bad show? No , however I can see how it can possibly influence people into doing so.
May 30, 2015 4:33 PM

Apr 2012
Only if you dont watch it again. Youll think it was great till you try it again and find out what a rotten pile of crap it actually was. Atleast for me its often like that, since tastes change, quite alot in fact. And mine has changed, so no I dont like most of the shows I have "nostalgia" for.
May 30, 2015 4:45 PM

Sep 2014
It doesn't. Is just a pathetic excuse that casuals use to make masterpieces like Evangelion or Cowboy BeBop look bad (when they really have no other argument to bash those anime)
May 30, 2015 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
I like Dragon Ball because i read it, don't ever think i saw it on TV as a kid. Not sure if people use Nostalgia to make it look bad, but, it is definitely a good series'
May 30, 2015 4:53 PM

Nov 2011
LittleRookie said:
I like Dragon Ball because i read it, don't ever think i saw it on TV as a kid. Not sure if people use Nostalgia to make it look bad, but, it is definitely a good series'

Hell yeah it is :3
May 31, 2015 1:35 AM

Nov 2014
Yes

May 31, 2015 1:40 AM

Oct 2012
It would depend entirely on the person. For me, a good part of my enjoyment of Gundam Wing comes from nostalgia. Same goes with the rest of the shows they use to air in Toonami's early days.
ShrabsterMay 31, 2015 1:53 AM

May 31, 2015 1:50 AM

Aug 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
A lot of people seem to think people who are fans of anime like Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop only like these anime because of nostalgia. Honestly it sounds like elitism to me because they're saying these anime aren't that good to them so others can't possibly like them that much and are just blinded by rose tinted glasses.
I completely agree with this especially when it comes to DBZ. I really don't see how nostalgia is a major driving force for liking an anime. I used to watch Pokemon as a kid but when it's showing now I never really watch it. If nostalgia plays such a big role then I should be obsessed with it because I used to watch it as a kid. As a young adult now I have re watched all my main favorite childhood anime (with the exception of Digimon) and still enjoy them .

From my profile

[size=120] [b] [u] TOP 4 childhood anime that I still enjoy and love [/size] [/b] [/u]
May 31, 2015 2:20 AM

Jul 2009
Most Anime they showed over here were only made to sell toys/cards and sucked (B-daman, Duel Masters, Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Bakugan, etc), so I've never been attached to most of my childhood Anime. I never liked them to begin with.

Only exception is Pokemon, but I hardly remembered any episodes. Tried rewatching it last year, and it was perfect. The first two seasons, that is. The other seasons are just fight after fight (or worse, tournament!!!). Moomin Ikka is also pretty great. Nostalgic values doesn't really affect me.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
May 31, 2015 8:28 PM

Jun 2014
You should watch Gigguk's new video. It talks a lot about how nostalgia can affect your opinion.

Jun 1, 2015 1:54 AM
Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:

Well, of course nostalgia doesn't play a role when it comes to liking these series in the first place, but I do think that it influences people to a certain extent when they're talking about these series nowadays. For one thing, shows like the ones you've mentioned are often those who have been an introduction to anime for a lot of people, so it's very likely that they've managed to be very memorable to them for that reason alone. Aside from that, when they first saw the series, they were most likely nowhere near as critical as many of are today. This isn't even exclusive to those who consider themselves some kind of anime connoisseur - even generally speaking, kids and young teenagers are entertained a lot easier and won't ask questions about the story that only seem logical to you once you grew older. With that in mind it only seems natural to assume that the image of a show that somebody has in mind from their childhood may not be as accurate as the one of somebody who has just recently seen the same series at a more mature age. Granted, people often rewatch series that have become their favourites, but even then it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that they might be more likely to be forgiving of tropes, potential plot holes and whatnot than they would be if they'd watch some random series that has come out in the latest season.

Anyway, that's just why I think that it's not necessarily as unjustified as you may like to believe. I'd say that nostalgia generally isn't bad as long as you're not being irrational about it, especially when it comes to comparing your older favourites with newer titles.
Jun 1, 2015 2:03 AM

Jul 2013
I rated Digimon a 9 even though I'm well aware that the plot is so simple and straight forward.
Jun 1, 2015 3:00 AM

May 2013
Syndiciate said:
You should watch Gigguk's new video. It talks a lot about how nostalgia can affect your opinion.

^ God's word right here.

Jun 1, 2015 3:06 AM

Jun 2013
Actually its the opposite people don't realize how big of a factor nostalgia is for them , they dont see it so if you say nostalgia to them they will flip.
Jun 1, 2015 12:50 PM

May 2015
yes i 6 year ago watch gurren laggan and cry now i luagh :/
Jun 1, 2015 12:56 PM

Apr 2014
It really depends on the show, but in my opinion it isn't THAT big of a factor as some people tend to say it is.
Jun 2, 2015 4:54 PM
Jun 2015
I came into anime in the mid 90's, we didnt even call it anime, we called it japanimation.
But anyways my favorite stuff now is from the 80's, most of it stuff I never seen until the last 5 years. I don't think nostalgia has too much to do with it, it just fits my sensibilities.

I can say most modern anime series and their current style and substance do not agree with me, maybe if I was younger I could get into them, but most I cant make it past a few episodes.
Oct 7, 2021 5:07 AM

Jan 2020
guywholikesanime said:
It doesn't. Is just a pathetic excuse that casuals use to make masterpieces like Evangelion or Cowboy BeBop look bad (when they really have no other argument to bash those anime)

yeah f those people
I will always like old stuff and if they don't like that they can go f themselves
Oct 7, 2021 5:10 AM

Jan 2020
it doesn't
if I liked a show back then it's for a valid reason
enjoyment comes from when a show is done well
sure our opinions on things do change but that doesn't I should insult people who have really good memories of things they liked and call them all baseless and insult like a lot of people and those can go f themselves for being big pieces of shit
Oct 7, 2021 5:15 AM

Mar 2018
Not at all for me. It’s hard to be nostalgic about an anime I only watched a few years ago, it’s not like it’s some fond childhood memory. The only anime I watched <18 years old was DBZ and I rated that a 5/10
Oct 7, 2021 5:28 AM

Jun 2011
Usually shows that get people nostalgic are actually good.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 7, 2021 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
Nostalgia means nothing when we put together diverse anime from past and modern isekai obsession with typical conveyer heroic shonen anime. You don't even need to compare old and new to understand how OVERLY POPULAR modern anime (not all of them thankfully) lack a story and character development. In yearly 2000s even silly comedy anime were better in such terms.

Everything is comparable and so you could rate everything. If someone will say for example that full-meter anime Ghost in The Shell (1995) was average then I'll ask such a person to provide a few of full analog anime which are better. It's not like "Oh no, modern anime shouldn't be better! Because I am from another era and so anime of past is more important to me so it's better by default!". I wish modern anime could do something about it though and not just stagnate with excuses like "b-but we have a better animation and we have more money due popularity on west, see?!" because it's totally irrelevant for a simple viewer.
Oct 7, 2021 6:15 AM

May 2013
Not for me, im nostalgic for Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop and i've seen anime from just this year that i like more than them, so it depends on the person i guess
Dec 19, 2021 12:52 AM

Nov 2019
I personally don't find nostalgia a reason to watch series nowadays; Probably because I wasn't driven by nostalgia in general.

More topics from this board

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

16 by -Aurelius- »»
3 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

41 by cody »»
4 minutes ago

» Guess the Deadly Sin of your Favorite characters in your profile

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

50 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

27 by BlueBullet178 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.