Forum Settings
Forums

How come in most Anime, when a character is over the age of 18...

New
May 27, 2015 5:41 PM
Jul 2014
All the characters in the anime immediately know that certain character as an adult..? Yes, after the age of 18, people are technically an adult but it is more complicated than that. (At least in the U.S).

For example, I live in the U.S and a lot of the people that are over the age of 18 can still pass for highschoolers. Mostly Asians though.
I mean they are 18, but a lot of them still act like kids. Sure they have more responsibilities and are considered adults legally, a lot of people still refer to 18 year olds still as "kids". Heck most people that are 18 year olds and sometimes even older still look like kids. (Again this is more prevalent among Asians though)

Do people in Japan age more quickly? Do people in Japan "look their age" more often?
May 27, 2015 5:48 PM

Jul 2013
Being 18 means youre an adult in society. It doesnt necessarily make you an adult in mind.
May 27, 2015 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
Lancehot said:
First: Age of adulthood in Japan is technically 20.
Second: If the currently airing series of Oregairu is to be believed, when girls leave highschool they instantly swap their would expose arse if they had one school uniform skirts for floor length ones. Thus it seems that the way you can tell if someone is 18, at least women, is that they suddenly become painfully aware of the sexual implications of their legs.

I hate it when anime girls dress casually and most of the time you see them in long dresses with blazers. They dress like an old lady not that I hate how older women dress.
May 27, 2015 5:53 PM

Nov 2008
Tenshi_Shura said:
Lancehot said:
First: Age of adulthood in Japan is technically 20.
Second: If the currently airing series of Oregairu is to be believed, when girls leave highschool they instantly swap their would expose arse if they had one school uniform skirts for floor length ones. Thus it seems that the way you can tell if someone is 18, at least women, is that they suddenly become painfully aware of the sexual implications of their legs.

I hate it when anime girls dress casually and most of the time you see them in long dresses with blazers. They dress like an old lady not that I hate how older women dress.

I like when they dress meekly.

May 27, 2015 6:07 PM
Jul 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Being 18 means youre an adult in society. It doesnt necessarily make you an adult in mind.

duh? I know this why are you telling me this.
May 27, 2015 8:11 PM

Jul 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

If you knew why are you asking?
May 27, 2015 8:17 PM

Mar 2008
When a person loses that spark in their eyes and liveliness in life and just puts on a suit and makes money for a needless corporate society, you just know.
May 27, 2015 8:19 PM

Sep 2014
The women can get married at 16
The men at 18

So, yeah. Adults.
The sun is a deadly laser
May 27, 2015 8:27 PM

Jan 2011
CrimBlacklotus said:
All the characters in the anime immediately know that certain character as an adult..? Yes, after the age of 18, people are technically an adult but it is more complicated than that. (At least in the U.S).

For example, I live in the U.S and a lot of the people that are over the age of 18 can still pass for highschoolers. Mostly Asians though.
I mean they are 18, but a lot of them still act like kids. Sure they have more responsibilities and are considered adults legally, a lot of people still refer to 18 year olds still as "kids". Heck most people that are 18 year olds and sometimes even older still look like kids. (Again this is more prevalent among Asians though)

Do people in Japan age more quickly? Do people in Japan "look their age" more often?

Act like kids? I don't believe that's a race thing. And yeah you make a good point, but most 18+ characters in animes do look adult enough to be considered adult. IRL that wouldn't be the case though, especially for asians.
May 28, 2015 12:11 AM
Jul 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

If you knew why are you asking?

Read the OP.I indicated that I know. And that doesn't even answer my question.
May 28, 2015 1:01 AM

Jun 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:

Better add this since people can be mature without being 18
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 28, 2015 2:52 AM
May 2009
CrimBlacklotus said:

First of all?

I am assuming the last sentence is your key question.

Pretty much all Asians that are Oriental, remain youthful looking till they reach around 50.

So yes Japanese people do tend to age less quickly, however once they start to age they age quickly, westerners tend to age around 25 and gradually and slowly age throughout.

Also how people act will again depend on culture and upbringing, Most people in Japan reaching the age of 18 means nothing, since it is still illegal to drink or smoke (I am assuming smoking limits are 20 aswell, I actually have no idea.) So they are no adults, though they can work pretty much they leave middle school.
May 28, 2015 2:56 AM

Feb 2013
May 28, 2015 3:07 AM
May 28, 2015 3:24 AM

Apr 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
pretty much.
May 28, 2015 4:28 AM

Nov 2014
More importantly is that they should feel responsible. It doesn't actually necessary to act as an adult. It is common to the age of 18-20... "Considered adults"
May 28, 2015 4:58 AM

Apr 2015
I think many nations considers 18 as the age of adulthood. Not only that, more adult transactions requires the age of 18.
#CHEXIT
May 28, 2015 5:44 AM

Nov 2014
Imeon said:
I think many nations considers 18 as the age of adulthood. Not only that, more adult transactions requires the age of 18.

I guess this were like my country ...I portray that 18 yrs. old considered as stage of adulthood... And as we reach the age of 21 yrs. you are an adult...

More topics from this board

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 36 minutes ago

7 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 8 hours ago

33 by SparksOfSerenity »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

134 by Fluffygreygrass »»
13 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

94 by Lawgun »»
33 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

215 by LostSpectre »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.