Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 2015 6:15 AM

Sep 2013
I am little curious as more anime lovers/watchers just watch online. How does that help help them?
May 27, 2015 6:16 AM
Jan 2015
They don't help them by doing this.
May 27, 2015 6:18 AM

Oct 2011
It helps if you watch on legal streaming sites like Crunchyroll
May 27, 2015 6:18 AM

Jan 2012
Ads .

May 27, 2015 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
Usually through:

1/TV ratings
2/Disc Sales

sometimes Merchandise, contribute a lot.

Depending on the time slot of the anime, it will depend mainly on one of those. Prime time anime, which are anime, with an early timeslot, depend on TV ratings. Late night anime, like Kill la Kill, depend on Disc Sales and Merchandises.

From what I know, there is not a lot of piracy going in Japan.

And most important, for you to know, anime fans outside of Japan, especially in the west/non-Asia, are mostly irrelevant to production earnings, Dub licensing and legal streaming site, contribute so little, it's almost negligible. It's a Japanese product made for Japanese consumers.
May 27, 2015 6:20 AM

Feb 2015
They can earn money by selling BDs, character's figures.
May 27, 2015 6:24 AM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
lol japan is #1 country on nyaa.se
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/nyaa.se
May 27, 2015 6:28 AM

Dec 2012
romagia said:
tsudecimo said:

I don't buy it, especially considering how big is the difference between it and China. And isn't nyaa an Indonesian site?
May 27, 2015 6:36 AM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
romagia said:

I don't buy it, especially considering how big is the difference between it and China. And isn't nyaa an Indonesian site?
the only other site with country stats also puts japan as #1 but at a smaller margin
http://www.similarweb.com/website/nyaa.se

also the domain is swedish and it's hosted in montreal.. it might be made by an indonesian guy or something idk.. but nothing would indicate that based on site info http://nyaa.se.ipaddress.com/
May 27, 2015 6:48 AM

Mar 2012
Ehh it's the first time I heard that nyaa is from Indonesia. Well not really surprising since there are a lot of piracy in my country. You can even buy 1 cour anime (LQ) with less than 1$.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 27, 2015 7:08 AM

Jun 2014
Watching on illegal sites doesn't help. Using Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation etc does.

And the money (budget) is usually provided by the sponsors (eg broadcasting channel, publisher in case of light novel or manga adaption ) besides a few cases.

They get back their money and eventually make a profit through Blu ray/ dvd sales (for late night seasonals or OVAs) and/or tv ratings ( long running, prime time or children stuff) or box office for movies. A boost in the sales of the source material or high merchandise sales is also sometimes even more profitable than the aforementioned. According to experts, a show that relies nearly entirely on Blu ray/ dvd sales will make a profit if it sells above a threshold known as
"manabi line" which is usually between 2300 and 3000 units per volume depending on the price of the discs. Most shows eventually cross that line over time. For those that are mostly reliant on tv ratings, I don't know the exact threshold rating of profitability but since I seldom see anything below 3.0
(Bleach was removed while it was in the 1-2 region) I guess it's about that.

Most anime are reliant on the domestic success since the profit made overseas is often much smaller. However, there are some cases like Space Dandy or DB kai which are heavily dependent on western success perhaps even more than Japan's.
AgafinMay 27, 2015 7:23 AM
May 27, 2015 7:20 AM

Sep 2013
Agafin said:
Watching on illegal sites doesn't help. Using Crunchyroll, Netflix, Funimation etc does.

And the money (budget) is usually provided by the sponsors (eg broadcasting channel, publisher in case of light novel or manga adaption ) besides a few cases.

They get back their money and eventually make a profit through Blu ray/ dvd sales (for late night seasonals or OVAs) and/or tv ratings ( long running, prime time or children stuff) or box office for movies. A boost in the sales of the source material or high merchandise sales is also sometimes even more profitable than the aforementioned. According to experts, a show that relies nearly entirely on Blu ray/ dvd sales will make a profit if it sells above a threshold known as
"manabi line" which is usually between 2300 and 3000 units depending on the price of the discs. Most shows eventually cross that line over time. For those that are mostly reliant on tv ratings, I don't know the exact threshold rating of profitability but since I seldom see anything below 3.0

Most anime are reliant on the domestic success since the profit made overseas is often much smaller. However, there are some cases like Space Dandy or DB kai which are heavily dependent on western success perhaps even more than Japan's.

very informative

are sites u mentioned are free?
May 27, 2015 7:27 AM

Jun 2014
^They are either free or very cheap but sadly have regional blocks and limited anime available which is why illegal sites are still far more used. Japan needs to make it's distribution easier.
May 27, 2015 7:28 AM

Jun 2014
AllenVonStein said:
Ads .
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 27, 2015 7:32 AM

Feb 2015
May 27, 2015 8:16 AM

Apr 2011
Agafin said:
^They are either free or very cheap but sadly have regional blocks and limited anime available which is why illegal sites are still far more used. Japan needs to make it's distribution easier.

They really need to make a Steam for anime. Seriously, how have anybody not seen such a huge business opportunity yet?
May 27, 2015 8:21 AM

Feb 2013
yhunata said:
Agafin said:

They really need to make a Steam for anime. Seriously, how have anybody not seen such a huge business opportunity yet?
Anime Steam would still need to get rights for all those anime in order to distribute them which i think is not that easy
May 27, 2015 8:22 AM

Sep 2013
May 27, 2015 8:53 AM
May 27, 2015 9:01 AM

Sep 2013
ichii_1 said:

Seriously
May 27, 2015 9:02 AM

Feb 2013
this is "The Anime Economy" article from ANN you might find it interesting
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05
May 27, 2015 9:05 AM

Apr 2011
romagia said:
yhunata said:

Anime Steam would still need to get rights for all those anime in order to distribute them which i think is not that easy

They could at least allow digital downloads, can't they? The studios, I mean. Pay and download, they won't have to rely on the measly 4000 units to break-even anymore. They can also take more risks. Japan seriously needs to get into digital distribution.
May 27, 2015 9:07 AM

Feb 2013
yhunata said:
romagia said:

They could at least allow digital downloads, can't they? The studios, I mean. Pay and download, they won't have to rely on the measly 4000 units to break-even anymore. They can also take more risks. Japan seriously needs to get into digital distribution.
crunchy and funi dont have digital downloads for a reason..
May 27, 2015 9:08 AM

Apr 2011
romagia said:
yhunata said:

Which would be?
May 27, 2015 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
yhunata said:
romagia said:

Which would be?
not being allowed
yes.. that sounds right
May 27, 2015 9:27 AM

Apr 2011
Lancehot said:
Unless we live in some magical fantasy world where people are willing to pay £20 per episode for digital downloads, we're not going to be seeing them happen. For what it's worth, Steam isn't very popular in Japan because, among other factors, the PC market is relatively small & it is heavily regionally restricted compared to other markets. Japan is surprisingly anachronistic when it comes to a lot of things, & physical media sales is one of them.

Wasn't talking per episode, to be honest. Like let purchase the entire series for a set price and then download as the episodes come out. But if it isn't allowed, well... that's it, then? And I said Steam for anime, as in for the global market. Not the Japanese market.
May 27, 2015 4:53 PM

Sep 2013
yhunata said:

Yea stream will be a great place to show anime
May 27, 2015 4:58 PM

Jan 2009
Agafin said:

"manabi line" which is usually between 2300 and 3000 units per volume depending on the price of the discs. Most shows eventually cross that line over time. For those that are mostly reliant on tv ratings, I don't know the exact threshold rating of profitability but since I seldom see anything below 3.0

Best summary ever to basic anime economics. I'm quoting you each time I’m asked that question.
May 27, 2015 6:49 PM

Sep 2013
Agafin said:
For those that are mostly reliant on tv ratings, I don't know the exact threshold rating of profitability but since I seldom see anything below 3.0

Explain why the anime had a major budget increase then if it was cancelled?
And 2+% rating was still better than most stuff airing back then.
Bleach ended cause they didn't want to do more filler, which was why the rating fell in the first place.
Also Toonami ratings for the west, if the Japan rating are higher (which they should be) then Bleach being cancelled is ridiculous.
May 27, 2015 7:22 PM
Dec 2010
The anime industry is no different from the movie industry, they rely on a handful of mega blockbusters to make up for the numerous money losing flops. One Love Live will allow Sunrise to fund dozens of Buddy Complex. Which is why all the talk about the "Manabi Line" is laughable because it's pretty ridiculous to suggest Sony/Bamco/Warner Bros/etc make stuff just to break even, when chances are these 2000-3000 series will be considered just one of the many they made to seek that megahit.
May 27, 2015 7:34 PM

Nov 2008
To support them

-import BD/DVDs from Japan (Expensive and not recommended for most fans)

-import Merchandise (highly recommended, you don't have go for the super premium stuff either, a measly keychain supports the industry), most non-dark and edgy late night anime and shounen has good merchandise, it only gets difficult when you get into shoujo anime that aren't Precure, Pripara, and Aikatsu; Josei and certain Seinen.

-Watch legal streams

May 28, 2015 6:49 AM

Sep 2013
Hoppy said:
To support them

-import Merchandise (highly recommended, you don't have go for the super premium stuff either, a measly keychain supports the industry), most non-dark and edgy late night anime and shounen has good merchandise, it only gets difficult when you get into shoujo anime that aren't Precure, Pripara, and Aikatsu; Josei and certain Seinen.

-Watch legal streams

Any other way without spending money.
Like they have any website and they get benefit by our visiting them or something like that.
May 28, 2015 7:11 AM

Feb 2013
wasif_khan said:
Hoppy said:
To support them

-Watch legal streams

Any other way without spending money.
Like they have any website and they get benefit by our visiting them or something like that.
crunchy has free streaming eh
so do many legal streaming sites i believe
May 28, 2015 8:09 AM

Sep 2013
romagia said:

I checked Crunchy is US site. Why would I go there :D

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

47 by MeguSae38 »»
19 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
46 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.