Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Episode Details Now Open for User Submissions!

New
May 26, 2015 11:19 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
If you haven't noticed on our Anime DB pages yet, we've been working on a new feature to store information for individual anime episodes. Some preliminary episode details have already been filled in as a starting point, and now we’ve opened up the system for user submissions! Check out our Death Note episode information here: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note/episode

We'd really appreciate it if you took a bit of time to submit a few episode details for your favorite anime and help us get a jump start filling the database. Please remember to follow the helpful text under the fields and to source any synopses that are not your own (for example: Wikipedia, if you found your episode info there). We'll also soon be updating the Anime DB Guidelines with some episode-specific information that isn't addressed by the form itself.

Characters and staff cannot be linked to episodes yet, but we're working on getting that developed in the upcoming weeks. We hope to have the episodes layout, and submission tools better optimized at around the same time, too.

Please feel free to give any feedback in this thread. Thank you for helping to make MAL's database more complete!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2015 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
Oh, I think many people notice that "episode list"
I already asked Naruleach San about it XD
Thank you for your hard work.
May 26, 2015 11:36 AM

Jul 2010
The episode "spam" on the anime page got annoying for me, don't need any more reason to scroll through even more stuff so I adblocked it. Though the episodes in the actual episode tab I have no problems with.
May 26, 2015 11:39 AM
Mar 2015
It's gonna be a long ride submitting those episodes, especially when it comes to long series like One Piece, DBZ, etc.

Well, time to get started!
May 26, 2015 11:43 AM

Mar 2013
Finally. They should be sorted in arcs and put in it's own tab though.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
May 26, 2015 11:52 AM

Feb 2008
Please move Episodes on the Detail tab to below Staff and right above Reviews. I think that would be the perfect place for it.
May 26, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2013
Some people have already said this, but the episode block feels like it should be moved below the Related Anime+manga / Characters & VAs / Staff tabs, it looks out of place as it is now.
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
May 26, 2015 12:23 PM

Jul 2013
Well, one feature that I won't be using for sure.

It's annoying in the Details page, you can't hide it, you can't un-see it, it just stands there, spamming, and making the view more uncomfortable. And I'm glad when one anime that I want to add, doesn't have episodes registered, because I can see things.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way, so I'm not going to use it, I don't want to make it more annoying to the other users.

But still, for those who like it, it's a good addition.
May 26, 2015 12:28 PM

Mar 2013
I'm gonna write the episodic information for the series I am aware of myself; let's get this started.

Though I agree that this new feature is pretty much useless for the amount of space and potential effort it takes.
May 26, 2015 12:58 PM

May 2012
It might be an idea to get some extra moderators (maybe even for episodes only), as this will require a lot of moderation, I assume.

One big remark: episode synopsis and airing data should not be mandatory. Especially the synopsis.

Also:

• Why not use time as html input type, instead of the tedious dropdown?
  • Similar for the airing date, why not use html input type date?
  • Shouldn't it be better to have a separate source field, where one can provide an URL or something, instead of including it in the synopsis? Would also make moderation easier.
  • It would be nice if the duration is filled with the duration from the general information automatically.

Just another thought: why not make a chapter overview for manga as well? This would be very useful, as I don't know of any site that currently offers that. Anime episode data is already available on AniDB, and it will take a long time before MAL will have the same amount.
niknetnikoMay 26, 2015 1:18 PM
May 26, 2015 1:10 PM

Dec 2011
I just tested with the first episode of Tesapuru.

THANKYOU for putting the month in letters rather than in numbers. Could you expand this to adding new manga and anime entries as well? The number of times I've put the days in the "month" column, only to then realise my mistake and have to go back and change it...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 26, 2015 1:18 PM
Dec 2014
Good feature, I support this.
May 26, 2015 2:05 PM
Nov 2010
I'm happy for this change. It can be really useful.
May 26, 2015 2:27 PM

Mar 2010
I don't really see any purpose for this since you can use the forum for episode summary (I actually do that) and I have to agree that right now it's really placed on a very bad spot. It should get its own tab or be moved much lower. Well, anyway, I'm sure there are people who could use this kind of feature.
May 26, 2015 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
i think removing the episodes details on the details page should be done to lessen redundancy and a lot of people hate even a small spoiler the title gives lol

but great feature though
May 26, 2015 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Why were the English cast removed?
May 26, 2015 2:34 PM

Jan 2009
Jakeyy said:

its there http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note/characters
May 26, 2015 2:35 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Its placement on the main page of a series' entry could be better. I'd rather see it much further down, but most importantly, below the brief listings of cast and crew. People are going to be way more interested in those than in the episode listings tbh.
May 26, 2015 2:48 PM

Jun 2014
Numi said:
Its placement on the main page of a series' entry could be better. I'd rather see it much further down, but most importantly, below the brief listings of cast and crew. People are going to be way more interested in those than in the episode listings tbh.
THIS

move it away from the fucking main anime entry page for the love of GOD
:3
May 26, 2015 2:50 PM

May 2012
Wouldn't it be a good idea to add an equivalent system for manga/novel/etc.. (i.e. adding chapter list)?
May 26, 2015 3:11 PM

Apr 2007
Eh, requiring a synopsis for every episode (where most if not all will be copied from wiki anyway) and only being able to submit one at a time kind of kills this for me, more so the former. Although I noticed that Naruto and Gintama lack a synopsis for each episode hmm

Nice to finally see this feature on MAL though.
May 26, 2015 3:47 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Not a feature I'm particularly interested in, but I can see how some users may find it useful.

10th_man_down said:
The episode "spam" on the anime page got annoying for me, don't need any more reason to scroll through even more stuff so I adblocked it. Though the episodes in the actual episode tab I have no problems with.

This.
May 26, 2015 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
j0x said:
Jakeyy said:

I meant main page for example: http://imgur.com/6lCdG7I

It used to have both English and Japanese. But now it only shows Japanese. And it takes an extra click to check out the other voice actors.
May 26, 2015 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
Jakeyy said:
j0x said:

I meant main page for example: http://imgur.com/6lCdG7I

It used to have both English and Japanese. But now it only shows Japanese. And it takes an extra click to check out the other voice actors.

the characters shown on the details/main tab is just a preview anyway, not all characters will be shown unless you go to the characters tab
May 26, 2015 4:45 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm Interesting I haven't contributed on Mal for some time now(for good reasons) This might be something I might do.

Though I'm going to wait until This Update happens for more clearance:

"We'll also soon be updating the Anime DB Guidelines with some episode-specific information that isn't addressed by the form itself.

Also I don't mind 5 episodes showing up in the Main page, but I think lowering the number to 3 would be good.. OR take away the Extra Information: Status, Aired. Doing both is a +.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 26, 2015 4:59 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
As with others, I don't dislike the episode list/details (I like the idea), but I think putting even part of the list on the main "details" tab is to much. It looks like clutter.
May 26, 2015 5:31 PM

May 2008
Should probably just be in its own tab and not on the main page, I think.
May 26, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2012
Kuma-Kuma said:
Please move Episodes on the Detail tab to below Staff and right above Reviews. I think that would be the perfect place for it.

But that would take too long to load the page. It would get very annoying =w=
May 26, 2015 5:39 PM

Mar 2010
M00ner said:
Kuma-Kuma said:

But that would take too long to load the page. It would get very annoying =w=
Everything loads really fast for me, so IDK how that feels. But Yeah Between Staff and Reviews seems like the best spot.

Actually above The Opening theme/below Recs. would be good too.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 26, 2015 5:53 PM

Mar 2014
Just add an option to disable the thing, how hard can that be? Or just move to it's own tab and leave it there.
It just makes the main page so unnecessarily long.
Overall I don't think this feature is that useful (aside from the characters part which I doubt will ever truly be complete aside from really popular series) since the information is usually available on Wikipedia (I can see myself forgetting this is a thing and going to Wikipedia either way).

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note/episode/1
Duration: 00:24:00
Meanwhile on the Information tab...
Duration: 23 min. per ep.
Whoops.

Still waiting on a PM system that tells you wether or not your information change for a certain anime has been accepted or decline, and the ability to change genres manually but I guess that's not happening any time soon.
May 26, 2015 5:56 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Monochrome said:
Eh, requiring a synopsis for every episode (where most if not all will be copied from wiki anyway) and only being able to submit one at a time kind of kills this for me, more so the former.

Pretty much this. It's nice to see this feature being implemented on MAL because it's been around for years on other sites.

--------

I can understand why anime episodes are placed where it currently is. Aside from staff, it correlates more with the anime than a review does. Anime episodes + staff/characters are details directly about the source while reviews are more opinionated w/ reasoning so it makes sense that they are placed at the top. I wouldn't mind if staff and episodes swapped places, though. To me, it's the same.

Rasco said:
Also I don't mind 5 episodes showing up in the Main page, but I think lowering the number to 3 would be good..

I agree with this.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

May 26, 2015 5:59 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Like lots said it shouldn't be shown there in the details page... in it's own tab its enough and it prevent title spoilers and such..... we already have enough to see (specially those series that have like 5 reviews/recommendations there)

also good move removing the extra cast (dubbers) from there...

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 26, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2014
Toarujisuru said:
I can understand why anime episodes are placed where it currently is. Aside from staff, it correlates more with the anime than a review does. Anime episodes + staff/characters are details directly about the source while reviews are more opinionated w/ reasoning so it makes sense that they are placed at the top. I wouldn't mind if staff and episodes swapped places, though. To me, it's the same.
Just what is the point of having it there? Is the title of the first episodes the thing that's going to make you pick what to watch? Is the synopsis of those episodes it? I highly doubt it, if anything reviews should be brought up because those are usually the main thing people search for when picking which shows to watch or not, but that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying to send the episodes thing to the bottom of the page, maybe above the forum section.

On a side note, the links at the bottom should have their own tab, sometimes I forget they exist and end up googling what I need.

And on a even sider note how about making the staff's (maybe not the characters') list like a board? 3 (possibly 4) columns and 4 lines would cover pretty much all staff for most shows and would be insanely useful.
Paulo27May 26, 2015 6:07 PM
May 26, 2015 6:29 PM

May 2008
Speaking of reviews, I think they should be in their own tab too. They're relevant, sure, but they're purely fan based and I think the main page should just be factual info + forums. And maybe recommendations? Have no idea where they should go.
May 26, 2015 6:46 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Paulo27 said:
Toarujisuru said:
Just what is the point of having it there? Is the title of the first episodes the thing that's going to make you pick what to watch? Is the synopsis of those episodes it? I highly doubt it, if anything reviews should be brought up because those are usually the main thing people search for when picking which shows to watch or not, but that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying to send the episodes thing to the bottom of the page, maybe above the forum section.

The summaries will be useful. The episode titles are all that we have atm. I'm okay with it going anywhere, tbh, I'm not that picky. However, my reasoning for agreeing with kuma-kuma still stands. Regardless of what feature users use more, it makes more sense to have episodes close to staff. Whether staff or episode count comes first I could care less. It being moved down above forum discussions is okay with me too, because then I'll be able to tell which episode I left off on instead of having to go into discussions to check, but I still think it makes more sense to have it close to staff/characters because it is based on facts of the source material.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

May 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Nov 2013
10th_man_down said:

Thank god we can blocked it. I'll probably not use much of this feature. I just like to see how many episodes that arc has.

May 26, 2015 7:02 PM

Jan 2010
About the summary portion, requiring a source implies that we take the summary from an official streaming website, a Wikipedia page, the distribute, or something of the sort to prevent "personal interpretations" I would assume. However, some of these summaries contain spoilers or are unnecessarily lengthy, essentially regurgitating each event in an episode scene by scene. By taking from a source, are we able to make reasonable edits to the summary's length and content?
May 26, 2015 7:32 PM

Mar 2014
Toarujisuru said:
Paulo27 said:

The summaries will be useful. The episode titles are all that we have atm. I'm okay with it going anywhere, tbh, I'm not that picky. However, my reasoning for agreeing with kuma-kuma still stands. Regardless of what feature users use more, it makes more sense to have episodes close to staff. Whether staff or episode count comes first I could care less. It being moved down above forum discussions is okay with me too, because then I'll be able to tell which episode I left off on instead of having to go into discussions to check, but I still think it makes more sense to have it close to staff/characters because it is based on facts of the source material.
I believe that if you're making a website for people to use and not for documentation or archiving purposes then you should keep in mind what your users want and use and give them a better time when using said website, I think it's fine as it is but this "makes more sense" talk doesn't make sense if it's getting in the way of people.
And I guess the problem is that I don't see a point in episodes summaries period, why would you stop after watching something to go read what happens in the next episode at the chance of spoiling yourself? I'm not saying the feature is completely worthless because it might be useful for maybe checking the episode in which something happened or whatever but that's something with very little payoff to be on the main page at all.

Same with removing reviews from the main page, what's your point? Maybe I use MAL wrong but I come here to pick what anime I want to watch looking at episodes titles isn't going to help me reach a conclusion while a review might, yes, it'll still be there, but instead of just window shooping I actually have to go inside the store now and that's not good here.
May 26, 2015 7:33 PM

Feb 2010
And another vote for removing it from Details page.
May 26, 2015 7:37 PM
Sep 2014
This is bad, bad idea. You should better appoint some people to do it alone. Copy/paste from wikipedia or w.e.
May 26, 2015 7:53 PM

Feb 2010
Great feature, it'll take some years to fill the database but it's still great.
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
May 26, 2015 7:54 PM
Nov 2014
nice feature
May 26, 2015 8:17 PM

Sep 2011
NaCro said:
This is bad, bad idea. You should better appoint some people to do it alone. Copy/paste from wikipedia or w.e.
How is it a bad idea? I'm pretty sure it'll need to be approved before going through—aka an anime/manga mod will need to make sure it's not trollish/wrong.
May 26, 2015 9:08 PM

Mar 2013
Paulo27 said:
Still waiting on a PM system that tells you wether or not your information change for a certain anime has been accepted or decline

I'd expect a private look over the list of reports you've made before that. After some bugs get fixed that might be a thing. Either way, this idea is present in many notification system suggestions. I would actually prefer the outcome to be reported there as well and not through my inbox, as I want to keep the latter for the messages only, not be stormed over with report acceptance.
May 26, 2015 9:16 PM
Always yours.

Apr 2015
Like the feature. I don't need to go to Wikipedia anymore! But I definitely agree with a lot of people that it should be moved somewhere else, preferably below reviews. If that is not achievable, then try to only display, say, 3 episodes and the rest can be displayed on another page when the user clicks the link to show more.
May 26, 2015 9:24 PM

Mar 2013
highpriest2500 said:
If that is not achievable, then try to only display, say, 3 episodes and the rest can be displayed on another page when the user clicks the link to show more.

Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. All the content that expands too much on a database entry has had a view more option up until now. I find nothing wrong with it, so why not keep it here as well. A preview of 2-4 episodes plus an optional continuation by clicking on view more.

I get the logic of having this located somewhere near the overall synopsis, but do use the page's space economically.
May 26, 2015 9:29 PM

Oct 2013
Thanks for this feature, I support it.
May 26, 2015 10:31 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Subpyro said:
highpriest2500 said:
If that is not achievable, then try to only display, say, 3 episodes and the rest can be displayed on another page when the user clicks the link to show more.

Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. All the content that expands too much on a database entry has had a view more option up until now. I find nothing wrong with it, so why not keep it here as well. A preview of 2-4 episodes plus an optional continuation by clicking on view more.

I get the logic of having this located somewhere near the overall synopsis, but do use the page's space economically.

^^This, please. A show more option would be incredibly nice.

Paulo27 said:
Toarujisuru said:

I believe that if you're making a website for people to use and not for documentation or archiving purposes then you should keep in mind what your users want and use and give them a better time when using said website, I think it's fine as it is but this "makes more sense" talk doesn't make sense if it's getting in the way of people.
And I guess the problem is that I don't see a point in episodes summaries period, why would you stop after watching something to go read what happens in the next episode at the chance of spoiling yourself? I'm not saying the feature is completely worthless because it might be useful for maybe checking the episode in which something happened or whatever but that's something with very little payoff to be on the main page at all.

Same with removing reviews from the main page, what's your point? Maybe I use MAL wrong but I come here to pick what anime I want to watch looking at episodes titles isn't going to help me reach a conclusion while a review might, yes, it'll still be there, but instead of just window shooping I actually have to go inside the store now and that's not good here.

This website is for both purposes. Archiving and users. It makes sense in the archiving sense, but yeah, other users are more uncomfortable than I am about this - so sure. Move it to Pluto, whatever. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Personally, I use it - from wikipedia - so I can make sure I'm actually on a certain episode if I forgot to log it and can't tell. I read the synopsis for the earliest episode I can remember watching and slowly work my way up checking to see if each episodes synopsis sounds familiar. If not, I stop myself before I even go past the first sentence. The episode list will be very useful in this way on this website as I won't have to visit the forum episode discussions or an outside source (like wikipedia) trying to find which episode I left off on. On the forum discussions trying to find the ep you left off on is very difficult because the discussions for episodes are out of order and any series with 30+ episodes is annoying to go through. There have also been times when i want to re-watch certain scenes/episodes so this helps.

Who said anything about removing reviews? >_>

Also, regarding any spoiler type mention of episode titles or episode summaries. Some sequel synopsis' are already spoilers. If you somehow end up on S2 without knowing it's a sequel you will get spoiled anyway by reading the synopsis. And it's at the very top. So a way to make 'em less spoilerish w/ both synopsis' and episode summaries would be very nice.

May 26, 2015 10:57 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Undim said:
Rasco said:
OR take away the Extra Information: Status, Aired.

Yes, this is redundant information on the page and it's not what I'm seeking when I'm looking up episode titles.

Yes. This too. I support. ^^

May 26, 2015 11:34 PM

Jan 2015
Well, I'm all for this! Now I can finally edit episodes! Thank you!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
Today, 7:28 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
Today, 5:09 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.