Forum Settings
Forums

What Anime that you feel decent in the first place, and then become one of your favorite??

New
May 26, 2015 5:11 AM

Mar 2015
What Anime that you feel decent in the first place, and then become one of your favorite? why it feel decent on the first place? since when it become interesting, and why?

Gekkan shoujo for me. when the first see it, i think it's just normal romcom series. until their side character make debute. they make this series really funny and amazing.

what's yours?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 26, 2015 5:17 AM
Oct 2013
Naruto, disliked the main character, found Sasuke to be annoying and disliked Sakura.
Kakashi was the only redeeming factor.

Got hooked after a friend showed me the Sasuke pursuit arc and till today the Pain invasion arc is my favorite Anime arc period.
May 26, 2015 5:17 AM

Mar 2012
Shirobako because it's the journey that paid off the most.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 26, 2015 5:20 AM

Sep 2014
I didn't really like Hellsing Ultimate too much, but I rewatched it and my opinion changed a lot, I loved it on my second watch.

Also Zeta Gundam started rather average for me and I found Kamille annoying, but by the end I loved the series and Kamille - he is now one of my favourite characters
May 26, 2015 5:25 AM

Jun 2014
Maybe Bakuman, at the start the dream was big and looked unachievable but with persistence things got gradually better and more intense. S3 improved a lot in quality
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 26, 2015 5:25 AM

Jul 2013
Hyouka started out like your typical slice of life anime with an added bonus which stayed true to the end but what really got me hooked were the characters and their interactions. There was this one episode where they were just talking in a room for the whole episode but it never bored me.
May 26, 2015 5:33 AM

Mar 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Hyouka started out like your typical slice of life anime with an added bonus which stayed true to the end but what really got me hooked were the characters and their interactions. There was this one episode where they were just talking in a room for the whole episode but it never bored me.
money counterfeiting episode?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 26, 2015 5:36 AM

Jan 2013
Ah My Goddess.

It looked like a generic harem to me but it's the only harem I genuinely like. Its characters are amazing
May 26, 2015 5:39 AM

Mar 2015
Klad said:
Ah My Goddess.

It looked like a generic harem to me but it's the only harem I genuinely like. Its characters are amazing
one of best harem anime ever. still wonderinh why there are no season 3 when they have enough sorce.
May 26, 2015 5:40 AM

May 2015
At first I thought "well this Steins;Gate is alright, a bit dull but I'll finish it". Then episode 12 (I think it was that one) happened and everything changed.

"The Idol Master. This is just going to be an alright show with cute girls who sing and dance right?" Than Chihaya happened. I was not ready for that. Love Live was FAR better than what I expected as well.
May 26, 2015 5:41 AM

Jan 2015
I felt Natsume Yuujinchou as a generic Inuyasha ripoff at first but now I preach it as one of teh best lol
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 26, 2015 5:49 AM

Mar 2015
Remv_quevav said:
I felt Natsume Yuujinchou as a generic Inuyasha ripoff at first but now I preach it as one of teh best lol
i felt it like another MC have superpower then made it friend with another superpower people then the battle, etc thing. but i was wrong. yes still have it, but not the main point.
May 26, 2015 5:51 AM

Mar 2015
Planetes started out rather goofy and uneventful but soon turned into a meaningful coming-of-age story for me,that connects the character-arcs very well with the global conflict IN SPACE.Never thought a SoL about garbage men could be that great.
May 26, 2015 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
Princess Tutu was only a episodic anime with a nice concept and setting at first, maybe a 7 or an 8, but then the entire second half happened. Then dat ending happened.

then boom

May 26, 2015 6:33 AM

Jul 2013
Unyilkdr said:
Tenshi_Shura said:
money counterfeiting episode?

Yep. That's the one.
May 26, 2015 6:36 AM

Jul 2013
LifeOfIllusion said:
At first I thought "well this Steins;Gate is alright, a bit dull but I'll finish it". Then episode 12 (I think it was that one) happened and everything changed.

"The Idol Master. This is just going to be an alright show with cute girls who sing and dance right?" Than Chihaya happened. I was not ready for that. Love Live was FAR better than what I expected as well.

Wow. It must have been that slow if it only got better after 12 episodes. Never seen Stein's Gate.
May 26, 2015 6:54 AM

Jan 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
LifeOfIllusion said:

Wow. It must have been that slow if it only got better after 12 episodes. Never seen Stein's Gate.
well.....
its not so slow paced than ur average slow paced animu tho
maybe more of SoL approach than a slow pacing
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 26, 2015 6:57 AM
Oct 2013
Unyilkdr said:
Klad said:
Ah My Goddess.

one of best harem anime ever. still wonderinh why there are no season 3 when they have enough sorce.

Well at some point the show started going nowhere. I remember reading alot of the manga in the past but it was settled during volume 20 already that Keichi was going for Verdandy and it turned to a will they won´t they plotline. The characters that started goofy, unique and funny became generic stereotypes of the chaotic big sis that barges in when the fun is about to start, the nerdy little sis the caring middle sis who is the love interest and the nonsensical "love rival" which gives no competition to the main couple.

There was never actually competition between the couples, which was a good thing imo but the show just became stale after a while, it should have ended when it was at it´s high mark.
May 26, 2015 6:58 AM

Apr 2015
hunter x hunter 2011

i thought its gonna be the same nakama power bullshit

and im surprised its one of the best

Hi
May 26, 2015 7:06 AM

Mar 2015
Isterio said:
Unyilkdr said:

Well at some point the show started going nowhere. I remember reading alot of the manga in the past but it was settled during volume 20 already that Keichi was going for Verdandy and it turned to a will they won´t they plotline. The characters that started goofy, unique and funny became generic stereotypes of the chaotic big sis that barges in when the fun is about to start, the nerdy little sis the caring middle sis who is the love interest and the nonsensical "love rival" which gives no competition to the main couple.

There was never actually competition between the couples, which was a good thing imo but the show just became stale after a while, it should have ended when it was at it´s high mark.
same case like usagi drop then. well thanks for explanation.
May 26, 2015 7:08 AM

Mar 2015
Lancehot said:
I think I'm in the minority in that I preferred the first half of Steins;Gate to the second. Random time travel hijinks with Dr Harem Who was more fun than "I'm gonna have sexy times with you & then go back in time so it didn't happen. But I'll know it happened. I'll know."
i feel second part of steins gate are dull, except only last 2 episode. they have excelent story, plot, and progeression, but destroyed by character for me.
May 26, 2015 7:08 AM

May 2014
Gintama was really hard for me to get into, I kinda had to force myself to watch the first few episodes.
And then, it paid off, became one my funniest anime.
May 26, 2015 7:09 AM

Feb 2013
this question i can interpret three ways...
1) anime that i feel decent before watching, then become one of my favourite
saint luminous jogakuin
i bookmarked it long time ago cause i liked the name and synopsis; it doesnt even have images on wikia pages so my hopes were so-and-so.. but it captured me from the first episodes, and i would totally add it to my faves list now

2) anime that i feel decent in first few episodes, then become one of my favourite
neon genesis evangelion
the first eps were pretty cool but not too special.. becomme one of my favourite in the 2nd half + movie.. but yeah its that kind of series

3) anime that i feel decent after finishing, then become one of my favourites in hindsight
welcome to the nhk and shiki
back when i first watched it it didnt feel so special, but after watching more anime and thinking about the series, and hearing it mentioned in 3x3 threads and stuff like that, i figured that it's way better than i initially gave credit to
May 26, 2015 7:10 AM

Nov 2010
One Piece. The beginning doesn't quite show its charm, it took about 30 episodes until I really started liking it and a rewatch until it became my favorite.
May 26, 2015 7:20 AM
Oct 2013
Unyilkdr said:
same case like usagi drop then. well thanks for explanation.

It´s the One Harem I tolerate besides Ranma 1/2 but Ranma did basicly everything right Oh my Goddes did wrong. I read it to completion although the series was old when I met it. It´s episodic, the echiness is always there (no volume without) but you constantly get reminded that well what you see naked there, is technically a dude, which adds humor to most echi scenes.

Or the circumstances that lead up to the echi scene are so absurd that you fall off your chair laughing. The romance is terribly handled for a romance although always hinted on, we get no real progression between the couples but the closure is good. It´s logical and follows what the author promised you throughout the series will happen. If you´re ok without the heartfelt union between the couples but you´re in for some ridiculous Harem comedy you´re gonna love this show.

My favorite Harem of all time(The Manga not the Anime).
IsterioMay 26, 2015 7:24 AM
May 26, 2015 7:23 AM
Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
One Piece. The beginning doesn't quite show its charm, it took about 30 episodes until I really started liking it and a rewatch until it became my favorite.

Really? One Piece was the series I immediately enjoyed when I watched it.
I found Luffy´s powers and character to be awesome. When they introduced Buggy I lmao at his goofyness especially when Nami trolled him.

I think One Piece is a hit or miss series when it comes to getting into it, especially because of it´s weird humor. But you get invested into it after the Arlong arc or not. If you do not care after that arc I don´t think you can get into it.
IsterioMay 26, 2015 7:26 AM
May 26, 2015 7:24 AM

May 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
LifeOfIllusion said:

It wasn't bad but I just didn't get why it was so highly rated at first, then suddenly I got it. I said dull but maybe that was the wrong word because I wasn't bored.
May 26, 2015 7:31 AM

Oct 2014
Gintama for me, because I needed some time to get in the Comedy. But I gets better with each episode and Gintoki is the King of Anime !
May 26, 2015 7:42 AM

Oct 2011
The Tatami Galaxy. I thought it was just OK, mainly hooked because of Watashi's speedy narration. I started really liking it near the end when

And what came afterwards until the end made it earned a spot in my top favotites
May 26, 2015 8:25 AM

Jul 2014
AzureDaora said:
Princess Tutu was only a episodic anime with a nice concept and setting at first, maybe a 7 or an 8, but then the entire second half happened. Then dat ending happened.

then boom

The exact opposite for me. First half was awesome. As you said, it has a nice concept and vibe. On the other hand, the second half was terribly forced.
May 26, 2015 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
Arakawa Under the Bridge. I don't remember why but I dropped it after the 3rd episode. Then I just felt like watching it again after some time and it turned out to be funny as hell.

"Ah, what? What? Who are you? Ahh another Undead, eh? I took on Sen's Fortress alone... But I'm no different from those vile creatures... I was driven by conceit... Ahh, you think you're different? That you can handle it? Yes, I remember that feeling. For I was the same... So let me help you out. With your souls searching."
Crestfallen Merchant
May 26, 2015 9:03 AM

Aug 2014
Gintama.

I found it rather boring for the first few episodes, but people told me it would get better so I continued watching. No regrets, by far one of my all time favorite animes now!
May 26, 2015 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
BlueKite said:
The Tatami Galaxy. I thought it was just OK, mainly hooked because of Watashi's speedy narration. I started really liking it near the end when

And what came afterwards until the end made it earned a spot in my top favotites

Agreed with this, although I think I'll like it much more on rewatch because I know what the ending is.

Penguindrum is another one. I thought it was okay at most the first time, but the second time I watched it it instantly became my favorite anime ever. I felt very lost the first time I watched it.
May 26, 2015 9:51 AM

Feb 2015
Noragami
Looked generic the first few eps
Turned epic in the last few eps even though it was anime original
May 26, 2015 9:54 AM

Feb 2014
Working!! and Ookiku Furikabutte for me.
May 26, 2015 10:07 AM

Feb 2013
All of them honestly, kind of hard to impress right out of the gate. Gungrave and FMA stand out I suppose, the former seeming like it would be a bland shoot-em-up and the later which was fairly episodic at first and wasn't clicking in all the right ways.
May 26, 2015 8:29 PM

Mar 2015
CyberAnimeLover said:
Noragami
Looked generic the first few eps
Turned epic in the last few eps even though it was anime original
it's in special. not original.
May 26, 2015 9:33 PM

Feb 2015
Inazuma eleven
Was a super power sports football anime in the first arc
Turned into so much in the 2nd and the 3rd one
Like the final match in the 2nd arc
And all the matches in the 3rd one were so good.And its openings are very good
May 26, 2015 9:47 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Shirobako, indefinitely. I went from thinking it was a tad bit boring to somehow growing attached to the goal the characters had in working together to complete it.

It took me around 6 episodes in to finally become fully invested in the show.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

May 26, 2015 9:50 PM
Dec 2014
Definitely Durarara, it starts off real slow but once the stories of the characters begin to overlap with each other, it becomes such a great story!
May 26, 2015 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
The Twelve Kingdoms probably, it starts pretty annoying in the beginning (Almost unberable because of the cast), however I gave it a chance and it ended up being one of my favorite animes ever.
May 26, 2015 10:02 PM

Feb 2013
Mawaru Penguindrum. The first episode started out well: loved the highly detailed colorful home, loved the character design, loved the three siblings, loved the opinions on fate, loved the Seizon Senryaku. . . And then the few episodes that focused heavily on Ringo/Stalker happened. I stalled for a long time. I almost dropped it. And then someone with amazing taste was like NO YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT YOU HAVE TO and I took their advice. I chowed through the beginning, got past the Ringo/Stalker arc, and then OH MY GOD. Seriously. One of the most profound, beautiful, agonizing, incredible, there are no words for it. There is no explaining it without ruining it. It just gets...INCREDIBLE. I recently watched it for a second time with someone who had never seen it. I was like, TRUST IT'S AMAZING. After it ended I asked, "Did you expect it to get THAT GOOD, THAT EPIC?" No. They did not.

ART: BEAUTIFUL
MUSIC: BEAUTIFUL
STORY: BEAUTIFUL
E V E R Y T H I N G : 10/10

Just... LOVE. <333
May 26, 2015 10:14 PM

Jul 2012
Out of my top 6 on my profile, Shinsekai Yori was definitely the one that I didn't think could be so good. The rest were all "yep. amazing" from the start.
May 26, 2015 10:14 PM

Nov 2014
Noragami, xxxHOLiC

May 26, 2015 10:20 PM

Apr 2014
Steins;Gate , It had a slow start and I was kind of disinterested but around halfway It got really good
May 28, 2015 1:24 AM

Nov 2014
Katekyou Hitman Reborn for me.. they have a slow start that the first 19 episodes like school/slice of life series with random plot.. but once it become more serious it's great IMO. Future arc is the ones that made me put this series in my favorites.
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

48 by TsutanaiFuun »»
8 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

21 by AE-2 »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
2 hours ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.