Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 2015 6:02 PM

Dec 2014
What makes someone like a certain type of music more than another?
Is there a science behind it?

Example:
A lot of people will say something like death metal sounds like pointless noise, and they are pop music fans.

While some people hate pop music or rap/hip-hop.

May 25, 2015 6:05 PM

Mar 2012
People usually hate pop/hip-hop just to say they hate pop/hip-hop and are elitist. People can just not be a fan, they don't have to hate.

For other genre preferences I have no clue. Some people like music they grew up on and I remember seeing once that music taste develops, you aren't born with it.
May 25, 2015 6:09 PM

Dec 2014
Shimapan-chan said:
People usually hate pop/hip-hop just to say they hate pop/hip-hop and are elitist. People can just not be a fan, they don't have to hate.

For other genre preferences I have no clue. Some people like music they grew up on and I remember seeing once that music taste develops, you aren't born with it.

Why are they elitist?

You don't think some sounds just naturally sound nicer to your ears?
May 25, 2015 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
Bloodshade said:
Shimapan-chan said:

Why are they elitist?

Because lots of people like to act like they're not a part of the main stream and different. People just say pop music is garbage without even listening to it. "Not fitting in" is the new cool, just like how a few years back tons of people wanted to be "nerds". Of course there's people who have listened to pop and didn't like it, that's fine. But many hate it just because they want to, to seem cool, a hipster. I think people should just listen to whatever the hell they like just because they like it, no alternative motives.

And yeah I think almost everyone has a musical preference. Like I think things like KISS are painfully bad but then I enjoy stuff that other people think are painfully bad. Just is what it is.
May 25, 2015 6:39 PM

Jan 2014
The certain type of ears they have.

On a serious note, cultural upbringing, decibel tolerance and lyrical preference all come into play.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 25, 2015 6:43 PM

Dec 2014
Shimapan-chan said:
Bloodshade said:

Why are they elitist?

Because lots of people like to act like they're not a part of the main stream and different. People just say pop music is garbage without even listening to it. "Not fitting in" is the new cool, just like how a few years back tons of people wanted to be "nerds". Of course there's people who have listened to pop and didn't like it, that's fine. But many hate it just because they want to, to seem cool, a hipster. I think people should just listen to whatever the hell they like just because they like it, no alternative motives.

And yeah I think almost everyone has a musical preference. Like I think things like KISS are painfully bad but then I enjoy stuff that other people think are painfully bad. Just is what it is.

Well I sincerely find that pop/hip-hop and most techno is bad. I don't think that makes me an elitist.
May 25, 2015 6:52 PM

Mar 2012
Bloodshade said:
Shimapan-chan said:

Well I sincerely find that pop/hip-hop and most techno is bad. I don't think that makes me an elitist.

Elitist is all how you act about it. If you just don't like those genre then you're fine. But if you're like "THAT'S NOT REAL MUSIC!" then you would be being elitist. Also tastes develop over time so it's best to always keep an open mind. I used to not care for rap but now there's a ton of rap artists I like because I explored the genre a bit.

RedRoseFring said:
The certain type of ears they have.

On a serious note, cultural upbringing, decibel tolerance and lyrical preference all come into play.

What about instrumental music?
May 25, 2015 7:38 PM

Dec 2014
Shimapan-chan said:
Bloodshade said:

Elitist is all how you act about it. If you just don't like those genre then you're fine. But if you're like "THAT'S NOT REAL MUSIC!" then you would be being elitist. Also tastes develop over time so it's best to always keep an open mind. I used to not care for rap but now there's a ton of rap artists I like because I explored the genre a bit.

My musical taste changed around 11 or 12 years of age.
I used to listen to more electronic, rap, and pop.
However I lost interest in that. I still listen to electronic music but I'm picky.

I don't think it will change again.
May 25, 2015 7:42 PM

Apr 2015
if they are anime songs, I will like them
May 25, 2015 7:44 PM

Mar 2012
Inari_Sushi said:

Any song with zero preference whatsoever? Why
May 25, 2015 7:56 PM

Apr 2015
Shimapan-chan said:
Inari_Sushi said:

Any song with zero preference whatsoever? Why

actually i listen to various types of music.
and their common point is anime song.
May 26, 2015 12:45 AM

Dec 2014
stormx3 said:
I listen to various genres, but when people question why I prominently listen to kpop it's because it's a whole lot cleaner than western music is.
Western music is generally filled with sexual innuendo and drugs/alcohol glorification and what have you, it gets me to the point where I wished I couldn't understand the lyrics for the sake of still being able to listen to the music without the message it's sending ruining it for me.

I don't know about kpop lyrics. I do find their performances pretty sexually charged. On top of that you have to look a certain way to even be accepted into an agency.
May 26, 2015 1:24 AM

Jul 2014
I know what I like in music, and I have a rigorous preference towards those features.
The most interesting thing, for me, in a musical composition, is its sense of structure.

Harmonic layering and complexity, how motifs and melodic cells interact between themselves – like in the fugue composition method – or between the overall structure – like the sonata form –, how the various sections of a composition are interconnected, clever use of timbres, rhythm – I like both simple but solid grooves and complex, highly syncopated rhythm –, how creatively the melody follows the harmony, and how creative the harmonic progression is, etc.
May 26, 2015 5:00 AM

Mar 2013
A number of factors come into play when developing a musical preference. I think a large influence is exposure. Eg. I used to hate rap, I thought it was so boring. Still do to a large extent, but after I had to listen to it for the millionth time, because that's what all my friends like, I started to enjoy NWA and Biggie, just because I developed some familiarity with it. Which is why I find it disappointing when people immediately dismiss a certain kind of music after hearing it only a small handful of times - give any art time, and I think you'll start to see something in it and develop some sort of appreciation for it, even if you still don't like it after having more exposure to it.

Depends on what kind if stimuli people respond to, too. Some people seek excitement or surprise - and so they might prefer unpredictable music (e.g. Mr. Bungle) or electronic music, much of which is deliberately produced to be above resting heart rate, more or less matching the heartbeat of the dancer. It's a natural reaction to loud and fast noises for your heartbeat to increase, so for people that respond more physically, that's going to have some appeal for them.
May 26, 2015 5:14 AM

Oct 2014
It's not about being elitist sometimes. Other times, it's just that the type of music doesn't sound pleasant or form any impact on the listener. I don't like mainstream pop or Hip Hop because I just don't like how fake the music sounds, to me every modern song almost sound the same (I'll explain this below). Rock on the other hand, is my favorite genre of music. There's something in the guitar riffs and the drum solos that I find very appealing.

You know when people say most songs sound the same, there may be some truth to it? You see, most modern songs are said to require only 4 chords to play. Which means if you're a huge fan of current music and you want to learn how to play them, you just need to know 4 chords, that's it. I'll leave this video here which even if you don't agree with, is quite entertaining anyway.

May 27, 2015 3:34 AM

May 2012
As long as the message is properly conveyed, I think there's nothing wrong with it regardless of the genre :)
May 27, 2015 11:32 AM

Mar 2012
sheidesu said:
As long as the message is properly conveyed, I think there's nothing wrong with it regardless of the genre :)

What about music with zero message?
May 27, 2015 10:18 PM

Dec 2014
Shimapan-chan said:
sheidesu said:

Even artists who make a song about nonsense have a message.
May 28, 2015 2:03 AM
May 2015
Interesting question. I know my music taste was definitely passed down to me from my father. Growing up he'd always have records playing and I just essentially grew up listening to them. They had and still do have a tremendous impact on me.
May 28, 2015 2:57 AM

Jul 2014
Khaosman said:

You know when people say most songs sound the same, there may be some truth to it? You see, most modern songs are said to require only 4 chords to play. Which means if you're a huge fan of current music and you want to learn how to play them, you just need to know 4 chords, that's it. I'll leave this video here which even if you don't agree with, is quite entertaining anyway.

Well, the video is pretty funny.
It can also point out how much orchestration, timbre and melody have an influence in the perception of a song.
I listen to a lot of harmonically complex music, but actually I have no problem with the most basic chord progression. Its mathematical simplicity is the perfect base for a pop song.
I could say it has the same appeal of the simplest so-called "beautiful mathematical equations".
May 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Jun 2013
I'm into alternative rock, indie rock, punk rock, and pop punk. I'm not exactly sure why I like these genres, I just do.
May 28, 2015 11:08 AM

May 2015
I like Hip Hop because theres so much to it then just club bangers. yea I might listen to Migos or Future if I get the mood but theres more artists that rap about different subjects that you can relate to so its not just feel good music. of course Hip Hop isn't the only thing I like i'm open to other genres of music
May 28, 2015 11:30 AM

May 2015
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2015 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
imo the reason people have for disliking something with the passion of a thousand suns has more to do with what they "associate" with certain genres. if it were mere matter of preference, wouldn't ignoring the genre suffice?

that would also mean that people like a genre because they "associate" positive things with it. the more connection one feels to something, the more one likes it, i guess. and i don't mean that the lyrics should definitely reflect one's state or life; merely that the genre was present thorough enough pleasant memories... if that makes sense. a sort of conditioning, if you will, like with pavlov's dogs or a bit like the symphony's effect in a clockwork orange.

May 28, 2015 1:35 PM

Jun 2014
offmodel said:
picknmix said:
imo the reason people have for disliking something with the passion of a thousand suns has more to do with what they "associate" with certain genres. if it were mere matter of preference, wouldn't ignoring the genre suffice?

that would also mean that people like a genre because they "associate" positive things with it. the more connection one feels to something, the more one likes it, i guess.

My theory on it is pretty simple, music has to speak to you in some way for you to be able to enjoy it. In my case, I don't badmouth rap/hip hop/whatever, but being a rural, white (mostly anyway, part Native American) kid, I just have no relationship to it. Lyrics about growing up in the hood didn't appeal to me, but Danzig channeling Roy Orbison's rockabilly does. Some things you can just appreciate aesthetically, too; I am not from a background where classical piano is big (more stuff like Jerry Lee Lewis), but I came to appreciate it anyway.

Do you have a last.fm account? Would be interesting to see what Bands/artists you like.
May 28, 2015 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
I think it just has to do with the sound of a certain genre. It might be upbringing. I'm a huge classic rock fan, and that's what was mainly being played by my parents as I grew up. I eventually started discovering other forms of rock/metal, all of which were attractive to me because I just happen to like loud guitars and 30 minute long jams. But I find other music outside of my niche interesting and fun to listen to, but those are certain songs. I don't go out of my way to listen to rap but I have a few songs I like.

I used to think a lot of it had to do with lyrical themes, but I'm starting to feel like that's not the case. I'll listen to some newer rap or hip-hop songs with lyrics about drugs, women, partying, etc. But I go back and listen to some of my favorites and realize there's not much different. Lil Wayne can say "open up her legs then filet mignon" which seems classless but then in one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs, Robert Plant sings "squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg."
May 28, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2014
offmodel said:
WitlessHippo said:

Do you have a last.fm account? Would be interesting to see what Bands/artists you like.

I have no idea what it is to be honest (I am a Luddite with a lot of this stuff), but I will look into it.

Ahh, it's essentially just a site where you detail your musical preferences build a music profile. So when you listen to a song it will "scrobble" and record the song (and artist) on there. Then you can see artist play count which will show in a chart form. Not too dissimilar to the anime/manga list here. You can also look at similar artists and get recommendations based on what you listen to (just like here). If you go on another person's profile you can see your music compatibility with them in the form of a bar (ranging from low to super) based on how similar your music tastes are.
May 28, 2015 1:57 PM

Mar 2014
Bloodshade said:
Shimapan-chan said:

Even artists who make a song about nonsense have a message.

good luck
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

More topics from this board

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3382 by lcee_15 »»
12 minutes ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
4 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
4 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.