Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people only listen to Japanese music or anime music?

New
May 25, 2015 4:40 PM

Nov 2011
I listen to music from all over the world and even as a person obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture I don't get the mentality of people who listen to Japanese music for the sake of listening to Japanese music or folks who just listen to anime music and don't care for anything non anime related. I just don't get it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 25, 2015 4:45 PM

Feb 2013
Because they get bored fast of things that aren't related to anime.
I also had a period when I only listened to J-rock.
May 25, 2015 4:52 PM

Apr 2014
A lot of people don't listen to music at all. I find that unfathomable too, but it's true.
May 25, 2015 5:04 PM

Nov 2011
Altairius said:
A lot of people don't listen to music at all. I find that unfathomable too, but it's true.

D:
May 25, 2015 5:04 PM

Apr 2015
im pretty sure only japanese people do that

Hi
May 25, 2015 5:54 PM

Mar 2012
Weeaboo scum

I used to know a girl that tried to only listen to Japanese music, it was ridiculous. I could send her a song that sounded a lot like what she showed me but if it came from anywhere but Japan it was shit.

But also Japan is one of those countries that has a really distinct sound to it's music. Since Japan gets so much dickriding already the different style/sound of the music from there becomes popular too, especially within the weeb and self-proclaimed otaku scene.
May 25, 2015 5:57 PM

May 2015
Because they feel like it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2015 7:11 PM

Aug 2013
Because they have razor-thin music taste.

I know some people that mostly listen to video game soundtracks and music related to anime or other entertaiment media. I don't understand them, so I asked why. The most common response I get is that they are not very interested in music as a whole, and that the music they listen to is directly associated with something that they are interested in. So basically they listen to specific music that they can associate with something else that they like, because they can't seem to enjoy other music for some reason.

People that only listen to Japanese music or anime music are probably similar. Maybe it's the only real exposure to music that they get, or maybe it's because they obsess over it. Hell if I know.
May 25, 2015 9:58 PM

Apr 2011
Because I just couldn't be bothered to listen to anything else at the time.
May 25, 2015 10:04 PM
Jul 2018
Listened to J-Rock for a while.

Got bored of it.

I do hear some cool sounding J-Rock, but that's rare.

I mostly listen to stuff in Spanish like Rock or Metal because I've been missing out on it all my life.
May 25, 2015 10:08 PM

Jul 2012
two words: voice. actors.
May 25, 2015 10:13 PM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:

Really? It can't solely be for that purpose.

It must be because "Hurr it's so different from deez american bull shit".
May 25, 2015 10:13 PM

Jul 2012
Fiction-S said:
mayukachan said:

no, i listen to a lot of japanese stuff because they've voiced anime i like and they sing well.
May 25, 2015 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
Fiction-S said:

no, i listen to a lot of japanese stuff because they've voiced anime i like and they sing well.

Well... that's you of course.

I've met a handful who just prefer Japanese music over western music because it sounds more pleasing to them.

Though to each their own.

I will say that J-Metal is a bit more watered down than western metal. It just doesn't sound right. As well as J-Rock. It sounds nice... but not as great and powerful as other musicians I listen to.
May 25, 2015 10:22 PM

Nov 2011
Fiction-S said:
mayukachan said:

I've met a handful who just prefer Japanese music over western music because it sounds more pleasing to them.

I will say that J-Metal is a bit more watered down than western metal. It just doesn't sound right. As well as J-Rock. It sounds nice... but not as great and powerful as other musicians I listen to.

Japan has a great metal scene if you look at artists like Loudness, Bow Wow/Vow wow, Seikima II, X Japan, and Sabbat.
May 25, 2015 10:24 PM

Aug 2014
The only time I actually listen to Japanese music is when I watch the opening for an anime
May 25, 2015 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
Waifu_Strangler said:
Fiction-S said:

Japan has a great metal scene if you look at artists like Loudness, Bow Wow/Vow wow, Seikima II, X Japan, and Sabbat.

Sabbat and X Japan are my favorites.

Those guys really know how to play a good tune. I'm pretty much talking about metal like the Watamote opening theme. That shit is lame.
May 25, 2015 10:32 PM

Jul 2012
Fiction-S said:

i like japanese r&b over any other language
idk why, the style and voices are so nice
like azu for example
May 25, 2015 10:39 PM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
Fiction-S said:

i like japanese r&b over any other language
idk why, the style and voices are so nice
like azu for example

Not my cup of tea but I really this kinda stuff.

May 25, 2015 10:59 PM

May 2015
Probably Weaboos.
May 25, 2015 11:18 PM

May 2014
Lol that kinda fits me. I generally only listen to Japanese music and anime/video game related music. Though I've heard a lot of American music before, it's so rare I find ones that pleases my ear. Only notable ones are....Copland and Gershwin lol. And that probably comes from the fact I love classical musics as well.
May 26, 2015 12:59 AM
Feb 2014
So in addition to Wu Tang Clan, I'm also not allowed to like Japanese/anime music either, huh. Below's you.

AqutanMay 26, 2015 1:06 AM
May 26, 2015 1:07 AM

Aug 2013
i like the language and the voice's (k-pop more than j-pop or anime songs)
May 26, 2015 1:21 AM
Feb 2014
oilymoobs69 said:
I get an erection every time I hear the Japanese language, which causes me great pleasure.

same
May 26, 2015 1:44 AM

Jul 2014
Because for them music is just another way to feel their love for anime or any other Japanese media they like, I guess.
For example, as a kid, I listened to videogame music because I liked videogames.
I think it's normal expand your interests with things near your main interest, though it's a thing fated to dwindle in later years.
May 26, 2015 2:25 AM

Mar 2013
personal preference I guess
May 26, 2015 3:53 AM

Jun 2014
I like some J metal/rock artists like Luna Sea and X japan as well as some more experimental like Boris and alternative rock like the pillows.
May 26, 2015 4:33 AM

Mar 2013
To be fair, most of the population seem to limit themselves to only one genre; there are people that consume only what's in the charts, there are people that listen almost exclusively to classic rock, people that listen mainly to jazz. Most people don't listen to music because they're interested in sound; they listen to it because they think it reflects part of their identity (I personally would argue that media in fact manipulatively shapes people's identities, but that's a discussion for another day...) - observe how people often dress in accordance with the media they consume (go to a venue that plays rock music, and you see people with long hair and headbands, leather jackets, etc). And so if someone really likes anime, and consider that interest a big part of their identity, they're going to pretty much exclusively consume that music (in the same way that people I know who burn around in their cars listening to the top club tunes because it reminds them how much they like to flop around at parties do).
May 26, 2015 5:03 AM

Oct 2014
Sounds boring. There are so many genres and subgenres of music and with technology being as powerful as it is, you're able to access them all with the touch of a button. However, as PachucoCadaver says, most people tend to restrict themselves to one genre. Even me, I stick to two, mostly.

I do like to listen to Japanese music from time to time. I even have the full soundtracks for a few anime titles. But I think people should broaden their music taste when there's so many wonderful sounds from all over the globe.
May 26, 2015 5:05 AM

Jan 2013
I rarely listen to Japanese songs that aren't related to anime. I generally dislike these J-pop groups or idols, theyre disgusting
May 26, 2015 5:10 AM

Mar 2014
Nicoreos said:
So in addition to Wu Tang Clan, I'm also not allowed to like Japanese/anime music either, huh. Below's you.

i find it funny how you react so attacked. he never even said you wern't alowed to listen to japanese music, he listens to a bunch of japanese bands too. he just wonders why someone would only listen to japanese music, since those people exist. and i think we can all agree thats pretty close minded.
and if i understand it right, you listen to the Wu Tang Clan? than it already does not refer to you.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
May 26, 2015 6:00 AM

May 2015
Not everyone likes to go deep into music and that's fine. If someone just wants to listen to anime tunes, whatever. I mean I do think it's bad to limit yourself and go "I ONLY listen to _____" but not everyone is super passionate about music and wants to explore it. For me I'm not super adventurous though I have been more open minded recently and taking more chances.
May 26, 2015 6:04 AM
May 2009
Because we spend to much time watching anime. So we are only exposed to Anime music and bands.

Only time I look up western music, is when I am playing games or when I have finished watching a movie.
May 26, 2015 6:11 AM

Jun 2014
PachucoCadaver said:
To be fair, most of the population seem to limit themselves to only one genre; there are people that consume only what's in the charts, there are people that listen almost exclusively to classic rock, people that listen mainly to jazz. Most people don't listen to music because they're interested in sound; they listen to it because they think it reflects part of their identity (I personally would argue that media in fact manipulatively shapes people's identities, but that's a discussion for another day...) - observe how people often dress in accordance with the media they consume (go to a venue that plays rock music, and you see people with long hair and headbands, leather jackets, etc). And so if someone really likes anime, and consider that interest a big part of their identity, they're going to pretty much exclusively consume that music (in the same way that people I know who burn around in their cars listening to the top club tunes because it reminds them how much they like to flop around at parties do).

Captain Beefheart fan too I see...nice :)
May 26, 2015 6:55 AM

Mar 2013
WitlessHippo said:
Captain Beefheart fan too I see...nice :)

I once had a lecturer that called Beefheart Bach's right-hand man. Personally, I think Bach is Beefheart's right-hand man.
May 26, 2015 7:07 AM

Jul 2011
Why not?
May 26, 2015 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
Nicoreos said:

Yes because I said I don't like Japanese music where?
May 26, 2015 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:

Waifu_Strangler said:
Nicoreos said:

Yes because I said I don't like Japanese music where?

probably here ;)
Waifu_Strangler said:

[
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
May 26, 2015 9:08 AM
Mar 2011
Yeoun said:

is bascill us muisc in korean name me 20 korean band of the top of your head that are not idol style band or link ot an agency i bet you cannot ]]

while i can from sa china[ HK and taiwan]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 26, 2015 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
The same reason some people only listen to rap, or only listen to metal, or only listen to classic rock, or only listen to pop, or only listen to pre-post vegetative Christian blackened progressive vegan Krisha death metal etc
May 26, 2015 11:51 AM

Dec 2013
cause watching anime and playing japanese video games makes it easy to discover music from there.

Not that i consciously try to limit myself to any specific countries when it comes to music.
May 26, 2015 12:04 PM

Dec 2012
Shimapan-chan said:
Weeaboo scum

> Shimapan-chan
May 26, 2015 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
That's the music they like, they are allowed to like it. Maybe they don't think music that is mainstream (American or English) to be good or enjoyable? I think the mainstream music is getting too boring and similar, so I don't really listen to new American or English artists anymore.
May 26, 2015 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
TheGoldenLion said:
Probably Weeaboos.
May 26, 2015 2:17 PM

Jul 2012
FGAU1912 said:
Yeoun said:

is bascill us muisc in korean name me 20 korean band of the top of your head that are not idol style band or link ot an agency i bet you cannot ]]

while i can from sa china[ HK and taiwan]

idols =/= bad though.
what kind of mindset is this?

smh
May 26, 2015 2:42 PM
Jan 2015
Because those weeaboo otaku fujoshi nip loving nerds are lying. Gaijins are infatuated with the music of a culture they have no understanding of simply because it's foreign. They are unable to conform or assimilate with their own culture's music because of their social ineptitude so they seek an exotic and ultimately different form of music to escape from their harsh reality of perversions.

There's nothing wrong about it if you're a nip though.
May 26, 2015 2:57 PM

Dec 2012
They're weeaboos.

Or they like how Japanese sounds. I don't care about languages at all, give me music in English, Spanish, German, etc. I don't care... mostly... I can understand if you prefer music in your own language so you can understand it, but that's another thing and I think this isn't the case here.
Anyway, I find funny those who are like "japanese music is the best, better than western music, japanese music isn't always the same" when... it is... it happens with both of them. So my only complain are those who think they're something special, I guess.
Hey, I can't understand either those who only listen one kind of music. Be rock, metal, pop, rap, etc.
May 26, 2015 3:36 PM

Mar 2014
Because it turns them on
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 26, 2015 3:40 PM

Nov 2014
Dunno, man. 1/3 of the music i listen is in japanese, the other 2/3 are in english or without lyrics. I'm just really picky about what i listen to. I think that's also the case for a lot of people.
May 26, 2015 3:43 PM

Dec 2014
I like Japanese bands that don't have shitty vocals, which most of them do.

For example, I like Versailles for their instrumentals, but their vocals are shit.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7554 by 0arche »»
3 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Yesterday

5 by Zayvex »»
6 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

17 by GoddessLove »»
7 hours ago

» AI generated OP/ED themes from imaginary anime that I came up with. (Over 20 songs and counting!)

FFandMMfan - Yesterday

2 by FFandMMfan »»
11 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3379 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Today, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.