Forum Settings
Forums

How much do you value fight (or any action) scenes?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 23, 2015 6:32 AM

May 2014
black1blade said:
TheFilthyCasual said:
Depends. Are they done typical anime style or are they actually good?

Well when they are good do you instantly like a show more. It doesn't even have to be multiple fight scenes, if an anime has a single 1 minute fight scene that blows you away, does that make the series better by default? I too find having lots of action scene pretty boring. Kara no kyoukai and monogatari have the perfect ratio of dialogue to action for me.
Again, depends. Is it an action piece, or simply a fight scene in what is otherwise a drama or somesuch?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 23, 2015 6:33 AM

Nov 2014
black1blade said:
Irrelative said:
I only care about action from Ufotable, Silver Link, and sometimes shaft.
Most of the other ones have a high chance of being lame or boring.

J.C staff just made a better fight scene than any in fate/stay night UBW.

Shirou trying to hit Saber with a wooden sword was more exciting.
May 23, 2015 6:34 AM

Jun 2011
black1blade said:
TheFilthyCasual said:
Depends. Are they done typical anime style or are they actually good?

Well when they are good do you instantly like a show more. It doesn't even have to be multiple fight scenes, if an anime has a single 1 minute fight scene that blows you away, does that make the series better by default? I too find having lots of action scene pretty boring. Kara no kyoukai and monogatari have the perfect ratio of dialogue to action for me.

Hmm if they are good, they do make the show a little bit more enjoyable, but ultimately it's the characters or the story that make the series. If the series went back to character interaction/story development and they suck, then it really doesn't help.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 2015 6:39 AM
Mar 2015
I absolutely don’t care about them.
May 23, 2015 6:44 AM
May 2014
personnaly i love fight scenes with a good animation and ost like the fights in sao and snk
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
May 23, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2014
Nanashi and Luo-Lang is my jam. 1v1, minimal preaching and staring contests. It's as if you're watching two primal forces collide, and the setting and context of the fight gives it this very unique weight; a real sense of finality.

That's the kind of fight my primitive lizard brain can appreciate. Need more of that shit.
May 23, 2015 9:44 AM

Aug 2014
TheFilthyCasual said:
black1blade said:

Again, depends. Is it an action piece, or simply a fight scene in what is otherwise a drama or somesuch?

I guess different answers for both are in order then. It's more like icing on the cake when character/plot driven shows have good action scenes in them.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 23, 2015 9:47 AM

Aug 2014
Kinda depends on what type of anime we are talking about.

If it's a romance anime, maybe a minor fighting scene could be cool but not something that looks messy and last several episodes.

If it's a shonen anime/fighting anime I don't really mind having multiple fighting scenes so long the scenes aren't terribly executed and we don't just see a bunch of people bash each other 24/7 for the sake of it.
May 23, 2015 9:52 AM

Aug 2014
Irrelative said:
black1blade said:

J.C staff just made a better fight scene than any in fate/stay night UBW.

Shirou trying to hit Saber with a wooden sword was more exciting.

I disagree. I am as big a type moon fanboy as any one else but that fight scene in Danmachi was amazing.

May 23, 2015 9:56 AM

Feb 2015
I'm a huge shounen fanboy, therefore I love fighting scenes.
May 23, 2015 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
As long as they got a good animation I like them. I hate when there's a pause to talk/flashback during the fight though.
May 23, 2015 10:10 AM

Jan 2011
Moodie said:
fight scenes are stupid and it doesn't add anything

dialog adds far more

you might end up liking Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu after all
May 23, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
silversaint said:
Moodie said:
fight scenes are stupid and it doesn't add anything

dialog adds far more

did you forget how badass Reunthal is when fighting close combat with Schenkopp?
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 23, 2015 10:36 AM

Aug 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
silversaint said:

did you forget how badass Reunthal is when fighting close combat with Schenkopp?

That was an awesome scene. I am only half way through so no spoilers :D

May 23, 2015 7:49 PM

Oct 2007
You will know how much value it holds when the main character is in a lose-lose situation and then he starts talking about friendship and don't give a damn about tactic and ignore all logic.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 23, 2015 7:53 PM

Jan 2014
It depends on how much focus is put into the action.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 24, 2015 6:19 AM
Dec 2013
They're the main reason that action is my favourite genre in anime. I prefer tactical fights with excellent choreography, where the fighters monologue during their battles. It prevents it from being a mindless fight. Animation also plays a part, and I sometimes like to rewatch episodes of anime because of the fight scenes with quality animation blow me away. There are already 6 standalone episodes of Naruto and Shippuden I see myself rewatching over and over again in the future because of the battles and animation make it memorable.
wildhoodMay 24, 2015 6:36 AM
May 24, 2015 6:21 AM

Aug 2014
Choreography is the most important thing in a fight scene imo

May 24, 2015 6:31 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah we all love good fights but what everyone forgets is the build up and the reasons about the fight. Fights ouf of nowhere are not as good as fights that have been built up for long of time that have kept you waiting for it to happen.
May 24, 2015 6:45 AM

May 2015
Depends on the character that's fighting too. If I don't like the character and know that the fight has no significance, I usually skip it.

If it's the typical "end of the arc" fight, I go through every single scene with complete attention.

Obviously, if it's simply pictures put together (one frame for a punch and another for a kick) I skip it no matter what. I hate those "fights".

May 24, 2015 6:47 AM

May 2015
Depends on the genre.
But I really do value fight scenes, IF they're implemented good, realistic and in any way important to the plot or if they fit the protagonist's character traits, e.g. a protagonist who's aggressive as heck and thus gets into fights quite often, even if there is no true reason to do so is realistic, while a shy dude not wanting to attract attention, but attacking every person she passes in an episode, is not.
It's even more important that the fight scenes have a reasonable process, just starting to lash around is, however, not very pleasant to watch. At least not in most cases.
May 24, 2015 6:53 AM
Apr 2015
Speaking of fight scenes this weeks episode of Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka was pretty enjoyable.

I'm still not too fond of the show but this weeks episode certainly changed my view a bit.

Yes, I value a well choreographed fight scene, in fact I jizz a bit mentally if it's that good.

May 24, 2015 7:42 AM

Aug 2014
Yhneiil said:
Speaking of fight scenes this weeks episode of Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka was pretty enjoyable.

I'm still not too fond of the show but this weeks episode certainly changed my view a bit.

Yes, I value a well choreographed fight scene, in fact I jizz a bit mentally if it's that good.

IKR, it was amazing.

May 24, 2015 7:48 AM

Feb 2012
If I'm watching the anime for the fight scenes, then they better have good ones.........

set made by tsudecimo ★ i m a d g m t r a s h ★ pnch blc mal rewrite

May 24, 2015 8:09 AM

Apr 2011
If we're talking action, then of course the action scenes are, to me, the most important factor in that anime. In other words, it depends on what the anime is focusing on. Let's say, Show By Rock... I don't really care about any "action" scenes it has, since it's not about action. Something like Naruto or One Piece, on the other hand, the action scenes are very important in those.
May 24, 2015 8:10 AM
May 2015
Fight scenes are important especially for series with fighting."

But they can be a double edged sword.

A good fight scene can leave you wanting to watch more, while a bad one can cause you to drop the show.

If the shows focus is on fighting then i'd say it has a 40%-60% importance.

But good animation, fluid battles without constant explaining, interesting characters, good story, and even more factors can make the difference from a bad fight to an amazing one.
May 24, 2015 8:11 AM

Aug 2014
yhunata said:
If we're talking action, then of course the action scenes are, to me, the most important factor in that anime. In other words, it depends on what the anime is focusing on. Let's say, Show By Rock... I don't really care about any "action" scenes it has, since it's not about action. Something like Naruto or One Piece, on the other hand, the action scenes are very important in those.

Actually that is a good point, I am going to change the title to include action scenes.

May 24, 2015 8:50 AM
Apr 2015
black1blade said:
Yhneiil said:

IKR, it was amazing.

Yeah. Matsuoka's performance was stellar. Those grunts of determination sounded awesome and moving. I was really impressed.
YhneiilMay 24, 2015 8:54 AM

May 24, 2015 11:20 AM

Nov 2014
Klad said:
yeah if the series is all about fighting
+1
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

May 24, 2015 11:36 AM

Aug 2014
Izanagi777 said:
Klad said:
yeah if the series is all about fighting
+1

What about in shows that aren't all about fighting but have a few really good fight scenes?

May 24, 2015 11:40 AM

Apr 2011
black1blade said:
Izanagi777 said:
+1

What about in shows that aren't all about fighting but have a few really good fight scenes?

That would be nice, but not that important.
May 24, 2015 11:43 AM

Aug 2014
yhunata said:
black1blade said:

I still think an awesome action scene in an anime is enough to add a point to the score.

May 24, 2015 11:44 AM

Apr 2011
black1blade said:
yhunata said:

I still think an awesome action scene in an anime is enough to add a point to the score.

That is what I meant by "it would be nice".
May 24, 2015 11:51 AM

Nov 2012
i value fight scenes as long as it has a solid reason why they fight
May 24, 2015 11:55 AM
Dec 2014
Epic fight scenes and pretty colors are the only things that matter.
May 25, 2015 8:17 AM

Aug 2010
i value them greatly lol. Ive always been a fan of action and martial arts and super powers. I even created a club (thats pretty small atm) about action appreciation lol. im also an artist and animator - so action interest me because of that too

i think as i got older, action was one of the things i preferred more and more in my anime. Because quite frankly most anime star teenage characters and i couldnt care less about teenagers talking to each other and sharing their awkward feelings. Especially when you consider their dialogue is written by like 30-40 year-olds who usually dont know what theyre talking about lol. Shows in general have also become a lot more fanservicy and that really does nothing for me... So if it wasnt for action (and the small amount of mature and/or interesting plot animes) i probably wouldnt watch almost any anime these days.

shameless plug -> action fans should join my club :D -> its in my signature
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
May 25, 2015 10:08 AM

Jul 2014
BlueScarf said:
I want to see a fight where the combatants would shut the fuck up for at least a minute.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

38 by LoveLikeBlood »»
39 seconds ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 7 minutes ago

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
40 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

67 by Kenzolo-folk »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

15 by nishant0 »»
19 minutes ago

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 54 minutes ago

3 by Rinenka »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.