Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2015 3:48 PM

Feb 2015

I've noticed that sometimes the English titles of anime just seem like a word salad rather than any sort of descriptive text.

So, what are your faves? How about some of the head scratchers you've yet to decipher? Let us discuss and analyze the engrish-y goodness.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2015 3:54 PM

Feb 2015
offmodel said:
My favorite is Combustible Campus Guardress - http://myanimelist.net/anime/2023/Bakuen_Campus_Guardress

I like how even the powers-that-be can't figure out if Guardress is just Engrish for "guardless" or actually meant to be a real world.
May 21, 2015 3:56 PM

Apr 2013
^wow, starting good here.

So, did you know that on the Ookami to Koushinryou novel, there is an english title as well (is very very frequent, like Horizon on the middle of nowhere " for kyoukaisenjou no horizon, and so on) .
You're thinking about "spice and wolf"? Well, that's wrong. That's the title in the english release, not the english title of the Japanese LN.

It's "Merchant Meats Spicy Wolf"
Exactly written like that. Yes, Meats.
May 21, 2015 3:59 PM

Oct 2012
Zefyris said:
As far as I know taglines are different than titles.
May 21, 2015 4:07 PM

Oct 2012
Lancehot said:
Hardly the worst, but the one that's really annoyed me lately is "A Chivalry of a Failed Knight." It should damn well be THE Chivalry of a Failed Knight. It's such a basic grammatical error that it hurts my brain to see it that way.
Don't hate on Cavalry, I'm so pumped for the adaptation. But really it should be The Heroic Tales of the Failure Knight, but its whatever since I just call it Cavalry anyways.
May 21, 2015 4:15 PM

Feb 2015
For the record, anyone know why it's called "Bleach" ??
May 21, 2015 4:17 PM

Jan 2015
Encouragement of Climb

I dunno if it has grammatical errors but that's really the title
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 21, 2015 4:18 PM

May 2008
aloricg said:

http://bleach.answers.wikia.com/wiki/Why_is_the_story_called_%22Bleach%22
May 21, 2015 4:19 PM

Mar 2012
Feaor said:
Lancehot said:
Hardly the worst, but the one that's really annoyed me lately is "A Chivalry of a Failed Knight." It should damn well be THE Chivalry of a Failed Knight. It's such a basic grammatical error that it hurts my brain to see it that way.
Don't hate on Cavalry, I'm so pumped for the adaptation. But really it should be The Heroic Tales of the Failure Knight, but its whatever since I just call it Cavalry anyways.
Official site call it A Tale of Worst One.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 21, 2015 4:19 PM

Apr 2013
Feaor said:
Zefyris said:

Then why do everyone call kyoukaisenjou no horizon as "horizon on the middle of nowhere" in this board? That's exactly the same use here you know.

aloricg said:

Yeah, the author explained that. Because shinigami are black, and that he wanted something bringing the inverse meaning as his title, so something with the idea of white. Explanation was longer than that, but that's basically it IIRC.
May 21, 2015 4:20 PM
Apr 2015
Zefyris said:

I feel like this is some sort of pun, but it doesn't even really make sense.

aloricg said:

In an interview in Shonen Jump Magazine, Tite Kubo revealed the reasoning behind Bleach's title:

The title wasn't Bleach when Tite Kubo decided to draw a story about Shinigami. This was before he drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "Bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

There you go, it kinds of makes sense, but it still stupid as all hell.

Edit : DAMNIT! I got ninja'd. Oh well, at least it saves lazy people from a click I guess.
May 21, 2015 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
Zefyris said:
Feaor said:

Then why do everyone call kyoukaisenjou no horizon as "horizon on the middle of nowhere" in this board? That's exactly the same use here you know.
That's the English release title, Ookami to Koushinryou's English release title is Spice and Wolf which happens to be a close to literal translation of the Japanese title. Merchant Meats Spicy Wolf is the tagline for the LNs not the title.
May 21, 2015 4:30 PM

Mar 2014
''Because she is a little girl, I get sexually excited''
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 21, 2015 4:32 PM

Apr 2013
Feaor said:
Zefyris said:

That's the English release title, Ookami to Koushinryou's English release title is Spice and Wolf which happens to be a close to literal translation of the Japanese title. Merchant Meats Spicy Wolf is the tagline for the LNs not the title.

Nope, that's an english sub-title exactly like merchant meats spicy wolf, or " Girl who ate Death" for shinigami wo tabeta shoujo, or "may your soul rest in magdala" for magdala de nemure, and so on. The english studio just choose to go with this as their title for their own release in case of KyouHora indeed, but it was already being used and printed as such beforehand, so that's an use made after.
ZefyrisMay 21, 2015 4:35 PM
May 21, 2015 4:45 PM

Dec 2012

Kiddy Grade still baffles me.

Pumpkin Scissors

...that one is actually explained somewhere in the show though.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 21, 2015 7:15 PM

Mar 2015
Samurai x, just dont understand the reason why it need to change it name.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2015 7:43 PM

Sep 2010
Cat Shit One still is one of my favs
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 21, 2015 8:01 PM

Dec 2014
INB4 Locked due to listing.

Anyways, most of the overly long light novel titles are ridiculous (DanMachi's actual name is the most ridiculous; Especially because apparently, in Danmachi the main character doesn't even pick up girls in a dungeon, so the title for that is also a lie). OreGairu's is also really weird, though I'm pretty sure I'll understand the title when I start watching the series.
May 21, 2015 8:19 PM

Sep 2013
Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha > The Testament of Sister New Devil

Sounds awkward.
May 21, 2015 8:59 PM

Dec 2014
ichii_1 said:
Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha > The Testament of Sister New Devil

Sounds awkward.

it doesnt sound that bad. Many are more terrible such a Ln with the title "a corpse found sthing" like that
May 21, 2015 9:01 PM

May 2014
Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 21, 2015 9:57 PM

Sep 2013
Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Thanks Funimation. It's not like "The King of the Magic Bullet and the Vanadis" doesn't sound better or anything.

And for that matter, has anyone figured out what "Akame ga Kill!" means? Still bugs me to no end with that word "ga"...
May 22, 2015 2:04 AM

Jun 2012
There are a few that sound really stupid to me. First one that I remembered is, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
English: Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts

Why the hell didn't they translate ''Baka'' when they translated everything else? It's not like it's a name or anything. Sounds so weeaboo.
May 22, 2015 2:11 AM

Feb 2013
They all suck, Japanese names are always better.
May 22, 2015 2:14 AM

Apr 2013
TheGalaxianMelon said:
INB4 Locked due to listing.

Anyways, most of the overly long light novel titles are ridiculous (DanMachi's actual name is the most ridiculous; Especially because apparently, in Danmachi the main character doesn't even pick up girls in a dungeon, so the title for that is also a lie). OreGairu's is also really weird, though I'm pretty sure I'll understand the title when I start watching the series.

picking girls in a dungeon is Danmachi's MC's dream, more or least. I'm not sure he even understand properly what it means though, since he's quite innocent, and that this "dream" is due to his grandfather always talking about the fact that as a man he should do that (well, that's a bit more complex, but you see why the title). It's more "chance encounter" than "picking girl" in the japanese title though, which is exactly what the MC wishes for. Little did he know, rather than saving heroically a girl in a pinch in a dungeon and have her falling for him, the first thing that is going to happen is that he's saved by a girl just before he's killed, and fall in love with her xD.

For Oregairu's titles, it's appropriate.
May 22, 2015 3:20 AM

Mar 2015
"Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru" have the unofficial English title as "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU" while the translation of the original title is "My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected."

Also "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai" as "Haganai" How did they find the H in that title.... I'm wondering if the english translation was lost or not...

May 22, 2015 4:00 AM

Apr 2013
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita.
I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.

I just find it funny how its "reluctantly"

May 22, 2015 4:47 AM

Oct 2008
Poltergeist Report the Movie: Poltergeist Report
May 22, 2015 5:04 AM

Apr 2015
Only Engrish didi not improve in anime.....
#CHEXIT
May 22, 2015 5:48 AM

May 2012
Nijuu Mensou no Musume translates literally to "Daughter of Twenty Faces." It's about a master thief who uses disguises and a young girl named Chizuko who joins his band and becomes his surrogate daughter. Her nickname is Chiko.

The official English title is "Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief." While she is an heiress, she's definitely not his heiress. Why the folks at BONES chose this inaccurate translation over the perfectly acceptable literal one has always been a mystery to me.
May 22, 2015 7:21 AM

Oct 2010
How about Funimation's decision to call Asobi ni Iku Yo! Cat Planet Cuties.
The series may not be great, but the localized title doesn't help.
May 22, 2015 7:26 AM

Oct 2013
ChibiRico8 said:
Zefyris said:

I feel like this is some sort of pun, but it doesn't even really make sense.

What are you talking about? I would totally meat the Spicy Wolf.
May 22, 2015 9:19 AM

Dec 2012
Ulquiorra1923 said:
May 22, 2015 10:39 AM

Aug 2011
DarklordVor said:

Also "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai" as "Haganai" How did they find the H in that title.... I'm wondering if the english translation was lost or not...

It's how the title is written in Japanese.

僕は友達が少ない
はがない

は = ha
が = ga
ない = nai

May 22, 2015 12:11 PM

Apr 2014
kawaii-despair said:
Ulquiorra1923 said:
May 22, 2015 2:40 PM
Mar 2011
very few anime get real proper translation titles
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 22, 2015 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
mitch3315 said:
It's how the title is written in Japanese.

僕は友達が少ない
はがない

は = ha
が = ga
ない = nai

Yes, but は is pronounced as "wa" when it is used as a topic particle. It seems unwise to change it to "ha" in this case.
May 23, 2015 12:02 AM

Mar 2015
FGAU1912 said:
anybody know the reason?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2015 12:11 AM

Feb 2015
Unyilkdr said:
FGAU1912 said:
anybody know the reason?

Xenophobia.

Japan doesn't think much of the world outside of Japan. Thus learning English is a trivial status symbol thing - it used to be French before English was the "universal language" of commerce/trade.

So many people barely actually learn functional English, never mind learning the linguistic subtleties that would denote that these titles are absurd. Nor caring if an english-speaking market was receptive to their wares.

Nintendo struggled with not adapting for the American market for a looooong time.

If you could see how bad some advanced level English "tools" used in schools are.. blatant misunderstanding of usage and it's put out there as the best of the best as resources.
May 23, 2015 12:24 AM

Oct 2014
The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays
May 23, 2015 12:50 AM

Mar 2015
aloricg said:
Unyilkdr said:
anybody know the reason?

Xenophobia.

Japan doesn't think much of the world outside of Japan. Thus learning English is a trivial status symbol thing - it used to be French before English was the "universal language" of commerce/trade.

So many people barely actually learn functional English, never mind learning the linguistic subtleties that would denote that these titles are absurd. Nor caring if an english-speaking market was receptive to their wares.

Nintendo struggled with not adapting for the American market for a looooong time.

If you could see how bad some advanced level English "tools" used in schools are.. blatant misunderstanding of usage and it's put out there as the best of the best as resources.
wait, it english name also given by japanese people?
May 23, 2015 12:58 AM

Dec 2011
Zefyris said:
^wow, starting good here.

So, did you know that on the Ookami to Koushinryou novel, there is an english title as well (is very very frequent, like Horizon on the middle of nowhere " for kyoukaisenjou no horizon, and so on) .
You're thinking about "spice and wolf"? Well, that's wrong. That's the title in the english release, not the english title of the Japanese LN.

At least that's a lame pun attempt, and one which would make perfect sense otherwise...
黒崎麻由の瞳に映る美しい世界 is "beautiful world in the eyes of her". Which is just cringeworthy - although not strictly relevant as it doesn't have an anime.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 23, 2015 1:13 AM
Mar 2011
Unyilkdr said:
FGAU1912 said:
anybody know the reason?

im taLKING ABOUT titles when licensed from what i know when a live ation moive get brougth over they get ok tranlation or even better Japanses title left in tact

hanabi forexample

but then Japanese moves have it well alot of the time it live action tv shows from japan and movies vfrom korea and Hong kon witch have it bad
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 23, 2015 1:14 AM
Mar 2011
aloricg said:
Unyilkdr said:
anybody know the reason?

Xenophobia.

were not xenophobic

May 23, 2015 6:20 AM

May 2014
Literal translations will do that OP.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 23, 2015 6:24 AM

May 2012
Unyilkdr said:
wait, it english name also given by japanese people?

Yes, sometimes there is an "official" English translation from the Japanese production committee. See my example of Nijuu Mensou no Musume above. That show has never been licensed, but it has an official English title anyway.
May 23, 2015 11:55 AM

Feb 2015
Fate/Stay Night

The name makes no sense and sounds like complete shit
May 23, 2015 12:05 PM

Sep 2014
attack on titan
May 23, 2015 3:04 PM

Feb 2015
Imaishi said:
attack on titan

attack on tit
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

67 by jieanteater »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

151 by ame »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

62 by Nyron »»
24 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 3 hours ago

6 by Nyron »»
25 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 58 minutes ago

2 by DinoNo1 »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.