Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
May 17, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2008
From the afterword in Volume 49:

The Tartarus arc was initially planned to be much longer, but it had to be shortened for various reasons. 3 villain characters were removed in the process. They were supposed to have appeared in scenes where Laxus had an active role. It was regrettable.
The Tartarus arc had many dark and sad episodes, so Mashima-sensei drew the new arc with the theme of “Hope” in mind.
Doranbolt being a Fairy Tail member was something Mashima-sensei had decided early on, but never really foreshadowed. He was troubled about whether to discard that idea, but ended up revealing it suddenly.

And according to this fan who attended the Dragon King Festival fan event, the event pamphlet mentioned that the anime version of the Tartarus arc will include the part(s) where Mashima-sensei had to cut in the manga.

Read more: http://thefairystales.tumblr.com/post/119173103262/from-the-afterword-in-volume-49-the-tartarus-arc#ixzz3aNzkE7gE
May 17, 2015 3:16 AM

Jun 2013
I also saw this, wanted to make a post about it too. It's similar to what happened with attack on titan, and how they added that scene where... I FORGOT HER NAME BLONDE TITAN CHICK LAUGHS.
May 17, 2015 3:17 AM

Apr 2008
metsujin said:
I saw this also, I wanted to make a post about it too. It's similar to what happened with attack on titan, and how they added that scene where... I FORGOT HER NAME BLONDE TITAN CHICK LAUGHS.

Annie :P

But yeah I can see how its similar. ANd it's the perfect way to ensure the anime doesn't catch up to the source too quickly. AFter all three villain characters should extend the arc quite a bit especially if we get Laxus to play a part in it
May 17, 2015 3:23 AM

Jun 2013
Darklight0303 said:
metsujin said:
I saw this also, I wanted to make a post about it too. It's similar to what happened with attack on titan, and how they added that scene where... I FORGOT HER NAME BLONDE TITAN CHICK LAUGHS.

But yeah I can see how its similar. ANd it's the perfect way to ensure the anime doesn't catch up to the source too quickly. AFter all three villain characters should extend the arc quite a bit especially if we get Laxus to play a part in it

I guess it's the part before he got attacked by Tempesta. I'm also curious, will the anime make the arc more darker... we'll just have to wait and see xD I like this because, he admits his mistakes. I wonder if the editors didn't want him to go through with this, because I remember (around the time Tartarus was ongoing), he tweeted that the editors rejected some of his ideas and he needed re rethink it.
May 17, 2015 4:04 AM

Apr 2008
metsujin said:
Darklight0303 said:

I guess it's the part before he got attacked by Tempesta. I'm also curious, will the anime make the arc more darker... we'll just have to wait and see xD I like this because, he admits his mistakes. I wonder if the editors didn't want him to go through with this, because I remember (around the time Tartarus was ongoing), he tweeted that the editors rejected some of his ideas and he needed re rethink it.

Maybe or perhaps he ACTUALLY gets cured in the anime BEFORE the bloody arc is over
May 17, 2015 4:37 AM

Jun 2013
Darklight0303 said:

Maybe or perhaps he ACTUALLY gets cured in the anime BEFORE the bloody arc is over

Perhaps, idk how that will play out, but we just have to wait and see ^ ^
May 17, 2015 6:01 AM

Apr 2008
metsujin said:
Darklight0303 said:

Perhaps, idk how that will play out, but we just have to wait and see ^ ^

as long as we get more Laxus it's all good
May 17, 2015 7:12 AM

Oct 2013
Volume said:
They were supposed to have appeared in scenes where Laxus had an active role. It was regrettable.

But on the brighter side, Mashima is aware of the lack of Laxus in Tartarus arc. This means more focus on Laxus in future chapters. :D
May 17, 2015 7:18 AM

Apr 2008
Nuvi said:
Volume said:
They were supposed to have appeared in scenes where Laxus had an active role. It was regrettable.

But on the brighter side, Mashima is aware of the lack of Laxus in Tartarus arc. This means more focus on Laxus in future chapters. :D

and in the anime since those scenes will apparently make it in
May 18, 2015 5:57 PM

Aug 2013
1. I too felt some parts of the arc were rushed mainly the fights IMO. The plot was really good but some of the fights were pretty bad like Erza vs Minerva (total BS) Erza vs Kyouka (BS from the middle to the end), Gray vs Tempesta (one-shot) and Natsu vs Franmalth (only the end. Rock really?). And yes it deserved more Laxus.

2.Meh

3. IMO Mashima should't have done it. Doranbolt is/was a great character exactly because he wasn't from FT. He was someone who would have conflicting opinions and motivations even though he would be one of them at heart. And it didn't really matter because the guild ws disbanded anyway.

4. Interesting, guess I'll watch the anime just to see how it turns out.

Thanks for bringing this up.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 418 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Darklight0303 - Feb 2, 2015

185 by shinytrains »»
Apr 13, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 251 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Sep 17, 2011

81 by aod-kun »»
Apr 6, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 248 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Aug 27, 2011

75 by aod-kun »»
Apr 5, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 244 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Wasabi - Jul 22, 2011

69 by aod-kun »»
Apr 5, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 234 Discussion ( 1 2 )

smokes - May 16, 2011

51 by aod-kun »»
Mar 16, 10:19 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.