Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2015 2:15 PM

Oct 2013
Here you will find a review (spoiler free) of the Anime of the Week. What is Anime of the Week? It is where the staff members of UAS take an anime series that we have never seen from one of our members suggested titles and complete it. Once we complete it we write a short review on it to hopefully raise the interest and spread awareness to other members. All reviews from our staff will be totally 100% truthful so if it is bad (in our opinion) or good (in our opinion) we will let it be known. With that being said remember that these are our opinions. We welcome any feed back, debate, and discussion from our members. We do however ask that you stay on the anime from the said week. A new anime will be place on the club page on Sunday and the review will be posted no later than Monday. We hope you enjoy!
goshujin_sama241Nov 9, 2015 5:20 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 11, 2015 4:00 PM

Oct 2014
I usually take a week to complete an anime, so I won't able to participate every week. I'll try to do it as often as I can though. I enjoy discussing/reviewing anime. I've made a video where I talk about ten different shows, most of which are included in the UAS club relations. Here it is, if you want to see it
May 11, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
Alright the first anime up is Princess Jellyfish or Kuragehime (whichever you prefer). This anime was requested to be added by AwandaTheDunmer and I have to say this was good choice. I found Princess Jellyfish to be better than I expected. It is the story of a girl named Tsukimi Kurashita who moves to Tokyo to become an illustrator upon graduating high school. She moves into a boarding house called Amamizukan where she is surrounded by a group of girls who are just like her (an otaku) unlike the "stylish" people of Tokyo. As you would have it her life was changed after meeting Kuranosuke Koibuchi, a rather interesting woman. The series was compelling. It was very humorous as the laughs came often, but above all it showed that any girl could be a princess. The only complaint for me was the ending but as with a lot of manga that receives an anime adaption while still publishing, it is to be expected. I highly recommend watching.
goshujin_sama241's Rating 7.6/10
goshujin_sama241May 13, 2015 1:06 PM
May 11, 2015 11:46 PM

Mar 2014
Nice thread idea! I hope that more people will watch Kuragehime, this jewel underwater because of your review Goshujin_sama241 (I'm reading the manga and it's also very good) ^^
May 12, 2015 7:35 PM

Oct 2013
turquoise_neko said:
Nice thread idea! I hope that more people will watch Kuragehime, this jewel underwater because of your review Goshujin_sama241 (I'm reading the manga and it's also very good) ^^

Thanks, So do I. I felt that this was a good way to recommend new titles to everyone as well as get the members choices seen by others. We are always looking for new things to watch. I actually plan on reading the manga too after the anime got me interested in the series.
May 13, 2015 8:24 AM

Feb 2014
nice idea, we might even stumble upon a hidden gem

you should use so it'll look neat

May 13, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2013
trebmeg said:
nice idea, we might even stumble upon a hidden gem

you should use so it'll look neat

Thank you ... it never even crossed my mind. Looks much better.
May 17, 2015 4:32 PM

Oct 2013
This weeks anime is Denpa Teki na Kanojo and is a two episode OVA which originally aired in two seasons, spring and fall 2009. I was the one who originally suggested this anime for addition to UAS and I believe that it has the potential to be a Top 50 rated anime on MAL if more people knew about it. This series was one of the series that I feel would leave you screaming for more. Unfortunately Denpa teki is adapted from a light novel that is 3 volumes long and only 21 chapters so more is highly unlikely to come. Each episode is around 42 minutes and has their own storyline. It introduces you to Ame Ochibana, a rather mysterious girl who approaches a delinquent named Juu Juuzawa and states that they are bound together from a previous life and that it is her right to serve him. The overall storyline is one that is rather serious and very mysterious, but there are plenty of comedic moments to round it out. The characters are absolutely enjoyable, and very likable. I believe that this is a series that anyone would enjoy and it is a must watch from me.

goshujin_sama241 rating 9.2/10
goshujin_sama241May 21, 2015 11:26 AM
May 19, 2015 11:49 AM
Mar 2015
goshujin_sama241 said:
I believe that this is a series that anyone would enjoy and it is a must watch from me.

goshujin_sama241 rating 9.2/10

That's a high score o.O
Tbh I'm not that fond of a show that has mystery in it but hmm it's kinda intriguing, will check it out.

Nice review goshujin!
May 19, 2015 9:20 PM

Feb 2014
That anime is good wish they continued it. Glad you recommended it to the club, like when you recommended it to me. I certainly enjoyed it. Hope everyone else will :D

May 23, 2015 1:27 AM

Oct 2014
I enjoyed the anime. It's a bit darker than the anime I usually watch, but it can be fun to go outside out our comfort zones. I thought there were a lot of interesting themes in it. I give it 8.3/10
May 23, 2015 9:10 AM

Oct 2010
I agree with Denpa Teki no Kanojo on the list. It is not just simply enjoyable but it is also a show that has quite psychological affair on it. I rather call the girls that was presented as antagonists on it as twisted. I rated it 9/10.
May 24, 2015 3:29 AM

Oct 2014
I posted a review of this week's anime on Youtube
May 24, 2015 10:34 AM

Feb 2014
Denpa teki na kanojo has been sitting on my PTW list for months, I should watch it very very soon.

May 24, 2015 11:18 AM

Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
I posted a review of this week's anime on Youtube

Thanks for the shout out in your review. I was planning on asking you to do this, but for next weeks anime of the week as it is a title that is more your forte. Glad that you liked it.

Btw would you consider doing another video review for next week's title?

trebmeg said:
Denpa teki na kanojo has been sitting on my PTW list for months, I should watch it very very soon.

I highly recommend that you do.
May 24, 2015 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
goshujin_sama241 said:
Btw would you consider doing another video review for next week's title?
I will consider it.
May 25, 2015 12:19 PM

Oct 2013
This weeks anime is Love Lab, a TV series which aired back in the summer season of 2013. It was suggested to be added to the club relations list by Saffron_entity. This series was almost unwatched by me as it was suggested by a friend who loves moe anime. I however got the wrong misconception of this anime and never watched it. If it were not for a single review on MAL I most likely would have never watched it and I actually like moe anime. Thanks to MAND4 for such an awesome review. The story follows 5 girls who all attend the prestigious Fujisaki Girls Academy (no this is not a yuri anime) and are all on the student council. Their personalities could not be any more different however they all share one thing in common.... they all want to know what love is. The antics and never ending research the girls get into because of their "Love Masuta" Riko will leave you laughing and highly entertained. This series, just like all the series that I have review so far exceeded my expectations and left me feeling entertained and wanting more. As simple as the series is, the storyline (if you can call it one) give off a complexity only achieved by few. Even if you are not a fan of moe, I still would recommend you watching Love Lab. I feel that you will not be disappointed.

goshujin_sama241 rating 7.9/10
May 28, 2015 8:06 AM

Oct 2014
I just finished Love Lab. I thought it was pretty good. It reminds me of "Chuu Bra" because it's about a group of girls who don't know much about guys. The pseudo yuri aspect is also similar. The humour was good and so was the story. My only major complaint is how similar the voices were. Because of how fast they were speaking, I had to pay a lot of attention to the subtitles, so it was harder to know who was speaking.
May 29, 2015 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
Here's my video review of Love Lab:
zombie_pegasusMay 29, 2015 5:24 PM
May 30, 2015 3:01 PM

Jun 2010
This weeks anime is Kotoura-san, a TV series which aired in the winter season of 2013. It was suggested to be added to the club relations list by dMonsterBeatsb. I first watched Kotoura-san 9 months ago and I really liked it up to episode 8. I had to drop it there because of studying, and finally finished it tonight. The anime is about a girl who has an innate ability to read minds and is hated because of it. However, despite this fact, she is still able to find friends. The anime has a nice mix of tragedy, friendship and a little humor. So if you like 'dark' slice of life anime, I'd recommend watching it. If you don't like 'dark' anime, then I think this is still for you, because it has quite a bit of humor to make up for it. Overall, I think you'd like this anime.

Soulofanime rating 8.5/10
[/quote]
May 30, 2015 10:36 PM
Mar 2015
Ah Kotoura-san, that first episode tho
It really is a good mixture of tragedy and humor.
May 30, 2015 10:57 PM

Feb 2014
Yay! something I suggested to the list :D Episode 1 just was so unexpected and I thought it would be good if some other people saw this anime thats why I recommended it here.

Hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I did :)

May 31, 2015 10:30 AM

Oct 2013
I actually watched Kotoura-san off of recommendation of dMonsterBeatsb. We tend to recommend a lot of titles to each other and he felt like it was a title that I would enjoy. I completed it as I was in the middle of the clubs redesign and it was one of the titles that gave me the idea for Anime of the Week. The first half of episode 1 sets the series in a serious tone however it is not a serious title. There are heartwarming moments, quite a bit of comedy, and what I loved best of all a strong character and a good supporting cast to round it out. How Kotoura was able to overcame adversity time and time again was really enjoyable for me. I would recommend this series and was going to use it for one of my weekly anime suggestions but Soul beat me to it.

goshujin_sama rating 8.0/10
Jun 6, 2015 3:53 PM

Jun 2010
This weeks anime is Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, a 12 episode TV series which aired in the summer season of 2013. It was suggested to be added to the club relations list by Doubledog . This is a heartwarming tale about a girl who travelled to France with a blacksmith and came to develop a close relationship with his grandson as well as many other people who knew their family. This anime is basically a tale of bonds people make as well as the changes that occur, not only in history, but also in people's hearts. There is also a tiny bit of drama, angst and humor skillfully woven into the plot. The main protagonist is also very very cute, both in looks and personality, and she warms the hearts of everyone who gets to meet her. This is an anime that you have to watch.

Soulofanime rating 9.8/10
Jun 7, 2015 9:54 AM

Jun 2013
Finally something I've seen, gives me time to catch up on Kotoura-san and maybe watch Love Lab.

I liked this ! I might re-watch it when summer holidays start because it's been a while since I've watched this.
This anime is so heartwarming and Yune is really cute
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Jun 13, 2015 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee was an anime that was on my PTW list for quite some time. I only recently watched it a little over a month ago. As someone who loves Japanese culture I was quite interested in watching this anime. Ikoku Meiro no Croisee is a simple, feel good story about a young Japanese teen who comes to France after meeting a French Blacksmith vacationing in Japan. The setting takes place in the 19th century, a time where Japan was opening more to the world. I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Yune was absolutely the cutest character and her values and personality were most enjoyed. Anyone who likes Japanese culture or looking for a simple feelgood series, I highly recommend it.

goshujin_sama241 rating 8/10
Jun 14, 2015 2:53 AM

Jun 2010
This weeks anime is Sora no Method, a TV series which aired in fall 2014. It was suggested to be added to the club relations list by Reverie_is_mE. This is the one of the first anime I compeletely enjoyed. We're introduced to Nonoka, who returns to her home city with her father after her mother's death. There, she is re-united with her childhood friends. The only problem is that half of those friends now hate her. She resolves to try to restore their friendship, with the help of the strange saucer floating above the lakeside.....
This is a good slice of life show with some drama mixed in. So if you enjoy slice of life with a bit of drama, I recommend watching this.

Soulofanime rating 8/10
Jun 14, 2015 3:31 AM
Mar 2015
"Mmgaaah, mmgaaaah!" xD
Jun 14, 2015 5:01 AM
Mar 2015
Soulofanime said:
Reverie_is_mE said:
"Mmgaaah, mmgaaaah!" xD

And what does that mean? :o

Nothing, I just remembered Noel's cute interaction with the cardboard monster :)
Jun 14, 2015 8:37 AM

Mar 2014
I'll be honest, I had trouble getting into this one. Fall season was my first time watching shows in weekly streaming instead of cherry-picking them after the season, and this was one of two that I ended up dropping midseason, after four episodes. Normally I like SOL and I like Dramas, but for a few different reasons this just didn't click with me. I do wonder in hindsight, though, whether I might've enjoyed it more if I had waited to watch it until after the season and gotten the whole story all together, instead of in weekly bites.

Despite that, I'd definitely still encourage people to give it a try, especially SOL/Drama fans like Soul said. The art and animation quality is really good, and I quite liked Noel as a character. Plus it had probably my second-favorite ED of the fall season too.
Jun 14, 2015 10:13 AM

Oct 2014
I had originally planned to watch SnM while it was airing, but then decided that it would be best to wait until it was finished. Later when I read the reviews it sounded really boring and it left my PTW list. If you really think it's that good I might put it back on my list, but I can't guarantee that I will watch it within the next year.
Jun 14, 2015 10:51 AM

Oct 2013
WingKing said:
I'll be honest, I had trouble getting into this one. Fall season was my first time watching shows in weekly streaming instead of cherry-picking them after the season, and this was one of two that I ended up dropping midseason, after four episodes. Normally I like SOL and I like Dramas, but for a few different reasons this just didn't click with me. I do wonder in hindsight, though, whether I might've enjoyed it more if I had waited to watch it until after the season and gotten the whole story all together, instead of in weekly bites.

zombie_pegasus said:
I had originally planned to watch SnM while it was airing, but then decided that it would be best to wait until it was finished. Later when I read the reviews it sounded really boring and it left my PTW list. If you really think it's that good I might put it back on my list, but I can't guarantee that I will watch it within the next year.

I for one like the series and could understand why there were people who didn't but I couldn't understand the number being that high. To me it is one of those hit or miss series (either you like it or you don't). I watched it after it completed airing (as I do with all my anime currently airing since the disaster that was winter 2014). If I had to grade it, it would be a solid 7/10. I believe that you should give it a try. I have a pact with one of my friends and we don't drop any anime from our list anymore. If it is added it must be watched. You cannot remove it or not complete it. My current On- hold list is my former dropped list. Where I am going with this is there have been series that if I still could drop them, I would have and never would have got to enjoy them because they were really good series. I will write my review on it shortly and I would recommend watching it.
Jun 14, 2015 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
There are plenty of anime that I enjoyed that I never would have even started watching if I wasn't allowed to drop them. "Sakurasou" and "Chuu-Bra" are examples. I also have one of my childhood anime in my dropped list, and I wouldn't want to watch all 296 episodes of it. If that rule works for you, that's great. I wouldn't be able to watch anime in the way I like to if I had to work by that rule. I also watched the first episode of One Piece, and wouldn't be able to include it in my list using that rule.
Jun 14, 2015 5:19 PM

Oct 2010
goshujin_sama241 said:

To me it is one of those hit or miss series (either you like it or you don't).

I agree with this. Sora no Method is one of those hit or miss. It is a SoL and a story of friendship but it also has a fair share of drama on it. The drama itself what made it a hit or miss though. The visual department was great and it has a great set of songs for it.
Jun 16, 2015 7:56 PM

Feb 2014
Sora no Method, it was good until the last episodes. I don't know but I found the drama ridiculous.

Jun 21, 2015 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
Anime of the Week #7 is Yuki Yuna is a Hero or Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru... which ever you prefer. It was recommended to the club by me, however I will give the credit to WingKing as he would have possible recommended it if he found this club another way and saw that it was not listed. As far as the Mahou Shoujo anime genre goes, it stretches farther back than just Madokaโ˜… Magica, and you have more to choose from than Sailor Moon. Yuki Yuna is one of those "hidden" Magical Girl anime that many don't notice and really should. I watched Yuki Yuna as I was curious to what was the anime on the cover of Dengeki G's February 2014 issue. (Yuki Yuna's adaption was featured in this issue) If I didn't buy that issue, I more than likely would have never watched it. I am glad that I did. Madoka Magica was good, but the hype surrounding it baffles me. In my honest opinion Yuki Yuna is a far better anime than Madoka Magica and a much better Mahou Shoujo. Yuki Yuna is, of course, about a girl named Yuki Yuna and her days in her schools "Hero Club". Yuki and her friends are in no way, shape, or form hero's however they performed heroic acts such as community service as well as putting on puppet shows for that local Kindergarten classes. One day however Yuki and her 3 friends get the chance to be real hero's and become magical girls. Join in on their quest to save all from the dangers that they didn't even know existed. This anime I must say might not be for everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely watch it again and would recommend it to anyone. Even if you don't like magical girl anime I recommend giving it a try.

goshujin_sama rating 8.8/10
Jun 21, 2015 5:07 PM
Mar 2015
Just like WingKing, I too like magical girls, idk why, maybe its because of how they transform into different outfits and suddenly have powers... is it weird for a guy like me to like these kind of shows? :/
Jun 21, 2015 5:18 PM

Mar 2014
Anime of the Week #7 is Yuki Yuna is a Hero or Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru... which ever you prefer.

Sweet choice, and you're absolutely right I would've recommended it. My thoughts are already on record, because this is one of the only two shows that I've reviewed on MAL - my review is currently second from the top on the main series page. I've watched it a third time since then, and my thoughts haven't changed - I still give it 9/10.

I'll also mention that I imported the OST CD for this series, and it hasn't left my CD changer since I got it. It was done by the same people who composed the soundtrack for the video game Nier, if anyone's ever played that, and I think it's just as good as that one.
Jun 21, 2015 5:29 PM

Oct 2010
As a magical girl series, I would agree that Yuuki Yuuna is better than Madoka just because Madoka is a deconstruction of the genre. But when it comes to magical girl stories that is deviant to the standard shoujo/all ages magical girl, I don't see it the best.

Yuuki Yuuna just like WingKing mentioned on his review for it, is a magical girl which story centers on what it means to be a hero so the story also shows their hardship. Additionally, like mentioned by those who read the light novel, Yuuki Yuuna story would make sense by reading the prequel light novel, Washio Umi wa Yuusha de Aru, after the anime.
Jun 21, 2015 6:00 PM

Mar 2014
Reverie_is_mE said:
Just like WingKing, I too like magical girls, idk why, maybe its because of how they transform into different outfits and suddenly have powers... is it weird for a guy like me to like these kind of shows? :/

Not at all. There are guys who like shoujo romances and girls who like violent/bloody anime like Berserk, so there's no reason guys can't enjoy magical girl. Besides, magical girl as a genre isn't exclusively for little girls. The traditional magical girls like Precure and Tokyo Mew Mew and Shugo Chara are aimed primarily at little girls, it's true, but then you have the more action-heavy and fanservicey magical girls like Mai Hime/Mai-Otome and Nanoha (which is often described as "Gundam in a schoolgirl skirt") that are clearly targeting adult men. And obviously magical girls with lots of pain and suffering like Uta Kata and Madoka aren't being written for children either. I've been watching Houkago no Pleiades this season and that show is a great example of the split, because contents-wise there's absolutely nothing in it that would be inappropriate for your seven-year-old daughter, but yet you can tell it's still aimed at an older audience because of the prominent Subaru automotive sponsorship (little girls aren't buying new cars) and because it incorporates a lot of hard sci-fi concepts like dark matter and relativity theory that kids wouldn't understand.
Jun 28, 2015 12:18 AM

Jun 2010
This weeks anime is Shion no Ou, a TV series which aired in fall 2007 and ended in spring 2008. It was suggested to be added to the club relations list by myself. Due to it's length it will be anime of the week for two weeks instead of one. This anime is one of the three anime I call masterpieces. The main character is a strong girl. I heard a proverb that originated in Chinese village once 'Wind doesn't move a mountain' which means that a person is strong enough to stand in the face of adversity without wavering. This is more than true for Shion, who doesn't let anything get in her way. I at least, can relate to this, cos it's my principle as well. This anime is much better than it sounds. Give it a try, I believe you won't regret it. :)

Soulofanime rating 10/10
[/quote]
CinnaJun 28, 2015 5:53 AM
Jun 28, 2015 5:44 AM

Oct 2010
MAL page that show aired Fall 2007. I have yet to try that anime but yeah I could add it in my plan to watch list. Also, that legendary troll reviewer of MAL, roriconfan posted a review of his for that one as well. 5 might be a low rating but with his standard, that is already a high in general audience interest.
Jun 28, 2015 5:55 AM
Jun 28, 2015 6:10 AM

Oct 2010
I'm sorry if I offend you but I was pertaining to one of those top reviewer for the anime.
Jul 11, 2015 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Shion no Ou was first recommended to me by Soulofanime as it is one of her favorite if not most favorite series ever. The plot and the storyline are well written and nails the genre perfectly. Anyone who is looking for a mystery or just an anime that makes you think , then Shion no Ou is for you. This series, to me would have to closely relate to Kamisama no Memochou. The only difference is that kamasama focuses on many mysteries while Shion has one major one. I would say that it is worth checking out. As simple as it was it had a complexity of its own.

goshujin_sama241 rating 8.8/10
Jul 12, 2015 3:33 AM
Mar 2015
This week's anime, is all about mankind's unexpected separation from each other, a phenomenon that changed their lives forever, Sakasama no Patema or Patema Inverted. This was put in the club relations by goshujin_sama241 (he was going to review this, but he passed it to me, so that I can have my first AotW review), unlike the previous anime entries shown here, this one is a movie that aired in Fall 2013. Sakasama no Patema tells the story of a curious young girl, named Patema, that likes to explore their large tunnel system, deciding to come back to a place called the danger zone, an accident occurred that made her fall in to another "world". This film starts with an eerie intro, then a slow-paced storyline which I'm not used to, and there were some parts that really confused me, nevertheless it was one of those movies that left me amazed, a mind-blowing experience. I recommend this to anyone who likes the Sci-Fi genre, mixed with a little mystery and romance, I'm sure you'll enjoy this and be surprised at the same time.

Reverie_is_mE rating 8/10
Jul 12, 2015 5:07 AM

Jul 2014
Yay, one of my favourite anime movies is AotW :-)

I also got confused while watching it, but after re-watching it I found, that there are hints about what is really going on right from the beginning.
Jul 12, 2015 5:32 AM

Oct 2010
mozgow said:
Yay, one of my favourite anime movies is AotW :-)

I also got confused while watching it, but after re-watching it I found, that there are hints about what is really going on right from the beginning.

True and even noticeable at the end of the movie on the first run. This one is pretty evident once it is reveal who are the people who lives underground or at least the last part of your statement.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggesting Anime for Club Relations ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Cinna - May 12, 2015

202 by Wyvern22 »»
Apr 4, 5:11 PM

» UAS Discord Group ( 1 2 )

Benienma - Aug 6, 2016

62 by Arcanius7 »»
Sep 3, 2022 12:48 PM

Poll: » ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŽ‹๐Ÿ‘“Vote for the New Face of UAS Spring Edition๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽ‹๐ŸŒธ

goshujin_sama241 - Mar 19, 2021

6 by bucket3432 »»
Mar 21, 2021 7:16 AM

» โœจFace of UAS Spring Edition Semi-Finalsโœจ

goshujin_sama241 - Mar 12, 2021

19 by Robertson1 »»
Mar 15, 2021 7:48 PM

» Nominate a Anime or Character to be the new "Face" of UAS

goshujin_sama241 - Mar 5, 2021

10 by Vini310 »»
Mar 7, 2021 5:51 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.