Forum Settings
Forums

2015 MAL Profile Community Feedback and Suggestions

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 8, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
Personally, to see the number of all favorites go up to 15 would be great, but I can understand why that's unrealistic right now, and the fact that you're all bumping things up to 10 is already great on its own, so I won't say more there.

I'm also going with displaying a status declaring if another user is banned or not. I don't really know why one would be "humiliated" by it. It doesn't have to say why they're banned or anything. Many other sites do it as well.

Other/fill-in-the-blank for gender isn't too bad I guess. I shouldn't let Tumblr's Narutokin shit get in the way of my opinions there.
May 8, 2015 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
how about changing the term "Gender" to "Sex" and list only male, female and intersex, making it a fill-in-the-blank for hundreds of Genders out there will just defeat the purpose of that feature imho, and also add the ability to hide that feature as well if a person do not like to specify anything
May 8, 2015 1:33 PM

Nov 2010
mugi said:
Dunno about anyone else but I have less interest in favorites lists on the profile the longer they are. Kind of looses relevancy.
Me too, they're meant to be concentrated, short and sweet, your most favorites in a small package that is easy to see when scanning a page.

And I'm bringing it up Xinil.

vertrag said:
I'm sure most of the users here watch lots of anime or read lots of manga, and our favourite anime/manga cannot just be contained with 5 slots. This goes the same for the max 10 slots for favourite characters and 5 slots for seiyu. I'm suggesting that the slots be expanded so we can add more of our favourites into our profile.

Thanks.
Xinil said:
Has been requested dozens of times. Won't be happening. Adding more reduces the idea of "favorites".

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=14437
May 8, 2015 1:52 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Support
1) Notification when receiving profile comments, this sounds very helpful and wondrous.
2) Remove the need for a relationship for a blog... many people use these blogs for other things anyways.
3) The "+" option next to a series for chapter or episode looks very convenient and helpful.
4) Favorites for studios, let's give those studios some love.

Oppose
1) Adding additional favorites. I feel like 5 is the perfect amount. They are your favorites, and a top 5 is fine. I feel like putting 10 or more just makes the area lose the importance of how they are you're favorite. I know people would be against it but I would even say to put favorites to 1 because it should be your most favorite... but 5 has been working fine.
2) MAL Achievements are a no. MAL is not a game, I can feel people are going to find ways to obtain certain achievements and find interesting yet bad ways of fulfilling the requirement for said achievement. #RIPMALGRAPH
3) Anything that limits the about me section that isn't the MAL Guidelines (Nudity and abuse and such should still not be allowed). I do not like the idea of putting a pixel limit, an image limit, any limit on the about me. If a user has too many images in their about me that causes their profile to lag, you can always just send them a message or use the com-to-com/reply to avoid their profile. If a user wants their about me to be as long as they want, it is their personal about me and they should have the ability to do that.
May 8, 2015 1:54 PM

Jan 2009
im not really seriously supporting it like i said previously as long as we have the ability to hide the favorites sections but how about adding a "Show More Favorites" button and tab/page? im thinking something like this

May 8, 2015 2:14 PM

Oct 2011
Just have to say I support adding 10 favorites. If some prefer less, then use less. Others prefer 10, so let them add 10.

May 8, 2015 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
Phraze said:
Just have to say I support adding 10 favorites. If some prefer less, then use less. Others prefer 10, so let them add 10.

Basically my thoughts as well.
May 8, 2015 2:25 PM

Nov 2014
I agree with some other guy posted earlier on removing friends feature,or at least make it more useful. I don't like seeing random friend request not accepted on someone's profile, and I don't see the benefit of adding friends just for the sake of adding friends either.

Increasing favourite is not in my favour but then lots of people seem to be in favour of it.

And please do not do anything to the comment on profile section.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 8, 2015 2:38 PM

Jul 2012
j0x said:
im not really seriously supporting it like i said previously as long as we have the ability to hide the favorites sections but how about adding a "Show More Favorites" button and tab/page? im thinking something like this

I think this is the best solution to people who think the 5 favorites look cleaner and for the people who want more than 5.
May 8, 2015 2:53 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Zelot said:

3) Anything that limits the about me section that isn't the MAL Guidelines (Nudity and abuse and such should still not be allowed). I do not like the idea of putting a pixel limit, an image limit, any limit on the about me. If a user has too many images in their about me that causes their profile to lag, you can always just send them a message or use the com-to-com/reply to avoid their profile. If a user wants their about me to be as long as they want, it is their personal about me and they should have the ability to do that.

The problem is, is that I pretty much have to click on their profile if I wish to view their last list updates, check out their favorites or look at their lists to discuss anime with someone. It kinda discourages me from talking to the person even though we might become friends. I mean, I could type /animelist/username in the url myself, but how half assed is that? Not to mention I still won't be able to see their favorites, last list updates, the new skype/fb/twitter info, if i use com-to-com only. And asking for info that is already clearly in plain sight is rather annoying. It's like someone asking you what you're watching this season, but it's right there in your animelist if you actually update it.

Plus, if that's the case then why are there pixel limitations on signatures? It's pretty much the same concept except you don't use signatures to advertise yourself as you would in a profile. Putting a limit - a reasonable one, would be nice, imo. It's okay if you don't agree, though, just something i wanted to throw out there. This complaint is far and few in between. Most profiles aren't laggy, but when they are... jesus christ. They really are.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

May 8, 2015 3:28 PM

Nov 2010
IntroverTurtle said:

vertrag said:
I'm sure most of the users here watch lots of anime or read lots of manga, and our favourite anime/manga cannot just be contained with 5 slots. This goes the same for the max 10 slots for favourite characters and 5 slots for seiyu. I'm suggesting that the slots be expanded so we can add more of our favourites into our profile.

Thanks.
Xinil said:
Has been requested dozens of times. Won't be happening. Adding more reduces the idea of "favorites".

This is the one thing that made sense here, and you're changing it.
Thanks Introver for making us and Xinil remember this.
May 8, 2015 3:48 PM
Mar 2014
What would you guys think of something like this for the profile sidebar?
May 8, 2015 3:55 PM

Nov 2010
vodall said:
Not bad actually, though I think it would push favorites down too much and to make it not you'd have to lower profile picture size. I guess it would matter what would go in the empty space now that that is moved.
May 8, 2015 4:00 PM

Mar 2013
vodall said:

A reorganization of the sections would be nice, and that example looks sweet. Picture and info together, while lists and stats together on the other side.
May 8, 2015 4:02 PM
Feb 2014
Serhiyko said:
Add notifications when receiving profile comments

This could be useful.
May 8, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2014
Zhuyo said:
Serhiyko said:
Add notifications when receiving profile comments

This could be useful.

You already get emails for them though if have the option selected. Notifications for being quoted seem more imperative to me, if anything needs a notification.
May 8, 2015 4:23 PM
Feb 2014
Protaku94 said:
Zhuyo said:

This could be useful.

You already get emails for them though if have the option selected. Notifications for being quoted seem more imperative to me, if anything needs a notification.

It'd be better if you get the notifications here at MAL.
May 8, 2015 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
lilypippili said:
Don't get rid of random anime/manga, I like those! :c

can you make it an option to put the comment box in a spoiler tag, so people who can't figure it out or can't be bothered to mess with the code don't have to do it themselves?
what do you like about random anime/manga?
May 8, 2015 4:50 PM

Feb 2015
Veronin said:
Create a limit to the amount of images that can be posted in the 'about me' page. There are some users that have so many images on their profile that it endlessly loads and can actually crash people's internet browser.

Are you kidding? This is 2015. Maybe it's time you upgrade.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2015 4:52 PM

Oct 2011
Agreed with lilypippili. The random anime and manga is also a way to remember certain titles especially when you watched/read too much to remember.

May 8, 2015 4:56 PM

Feb 2015
I would like these as well:

- Favorites limit increased to 10 for each category.

- Add notifications when receiving profile comments - I don't always check my comment section & sometimes it takes me a day or 2 to notice new comments.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
SchwingBoner said:
Veronin said:
Create a limit to the amount of images that can be posted in the 'about me' page. There are some users that have so many images on their profile that it endlessly loads and can actually crash people's internet browser.

honestly the about me section should have a fixed length, and have the "display more" option like reviews and stuff considering the inherent variable nature of its length

give people a choice at least instead of making people waste their time going down the pages of useless pics that many dont care about
May 8, 2015 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
I want a waifu option
May 8, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2010
So instead of getting comment nonfictions, like the messaging system, WE are now putting it on the top guys? REALLY? Well I guess that's progress. Baby steps to the ultimate solution. Fine. Or at least show recent comments in the panel area.. Anyways

+1 for more favorites. And I support the "show more favorites" idea.

AIM etc going doesn't bother me, just don't remove anything else..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 8, 2015 5:28 PM

Dec 2012
Undim said:
They can choose to not go to that profile or write the person to ask them if they'd consider reorganizing their profile. If you don't care what's in their about me, what are you trying to get to the bottom of to care about?
I don't care about Stark's About Me, but I'd sure love to talk to him.
May 8, 2015 5:32 PM

Mar 2010
Tachii said:
lilypippili said:
Don't get rid of random anime/manga, I like those! :c

can you make it an option to put the comment box in a spoiler tag, so people who can't figure it out or can't be bothered to mess with the code don't have to do it themselves?
Its RANDOM, What other explanations do you need? Its gives a quick glance of a users anime, and perhaps gets them curious about their "Anime List". Not only that you might RANDOMLY find a good anime that you never heard about. And MAYBE you might get lucky and find a good Manga. The possibilities are endless.

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 8, 2015 5:34 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Tachii said:

Personally I like seeing boku no pico there

gives me a giggle every time

It could be made as an optional to show on your profile (for you only)
May 8, 2015 5:36 PM

Apr 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:
I want a waifu option

As much as I want this, no way their default MAL pics will be able to do them justice unless we can upload our own pics of them.
May 8, 2015 5:40 PM

Mar 2010
IntroverTurtle said:

vertrag said:

Thanks.
Xinil said:

Thankfully those are not your principles. Unless your idea of favorites is dictated by xinil lol no really stop it. Having ten favorites or whatever does not make the idea of favorites less valuable.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
_Ghost_May 8, 2015 5:59 PM

But my feels.
May 8, 2015 5:42 PM

Nov 2010
Rasco said:
Thankfully those are not your principles. Unless your idea of favorites is dictated by xinil lol no really stop it. Having ten favorites or whatever does not make the idea of favorites less valuable.
10 is less valuable than 5 so yeah it does.
May 8, 2015 5:43 PM

May 2012
• to hide "last list updates"
• to hide online status
• to hide last online status, active since "50 minutes ago"
• adding more blog entries capacity in profile view. you can only have 3 blog entries in profile now. maybe add 2 more and making it 5.
• when blocking a user, it also can block their ip address just in case they make another account to harass you with on pm's or profile comments.

edit:
• more links for website
• notified in ma when quoted, commented, and messaged, instead of notifying by mail.
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
May 8, 2015 5:44 PM

Dec 2012
Undim said:
Roth said:

What about a jump to comments link instead?
Yeah that's pretty good.
May 8, 2015 5:48 PM

Mar 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Rasco said:
According to what? MAL? Then you would be happy with just 1 if MAL had only 1. Unless you really want to add numbers to the favorites? Perhaps something like this:
Favorites:
1. One Piece
2. One Piece
3. One Piece
4. One Piece
5. One Piece
6. Berserk

To show the Idea or value the USER have set for them.

But my feels.
May 8, 2015 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:
I want a waifu option
This isn't HB.

Comment box moved on top of Profile Comments, not at the end of the page.
As others have said, this is pretty bad, we already have Page End for that. A separate page or a link to comments like this would be much better. This already exists as a userscript, which I can share if anybody wants it.
May 8, 2015 5:53 PM

Dec 2012
I think a separate page for comments would be better. Even if it directs you to the comment box, your profile still has to load and the scroll keeps taking you to the top.
May 8, 2015 5:55 PM

Feb 2010
Undim said:
lovelyphantom said:
What about a custom CSS feature for our profiles. We have one for our Anime and Manga list, why not for our profiles as well.

I back any idea of giving us some higher level of coding that we can do for our about me section beyond BBCode and cutting images up.

I would back this as well, unfortunately I think its unlikely to be implemented for a lot of reasons. But-

If users had CSS for their profiles, similar to lists, it would let us implement suggestions users want which won't be implemented in the end, since a CSS script can be written for many (not all) suggestions. The only thing need is there has to be someone available to write such a code- but its been proven again and again that these users exist and are ready to help others with that kinda thing.

And if we had CSS control on our profiles, we could have long ago implemented many of the suggestions made all these years on our own, including the five currently in the OP.

It also gives us ways to fix changes we don't like. For example: when the "commenting box moved to the top of the comments" change is made, consider users with super-long About Me sections filled with images. For obvious reasons it's a minor inconvenience for friends and visitors to leave them a comment - some users already mentioned this actually. But with minor CSS coding the comment box can be fixed on the page and someone won't have to dig through images and a constantly changing page height to find the comment box on these particular pages. Here's an video of a fixed comment box on the lower right of my profile page through CSS and using it to leave a test comment:
http://www.screencast.com/t/AbpQU3MM
The box could be further customized easily from there with their choices of color, size, position, etc.

Just some things to consider, thanks for reading.
May 8, 2015 5:55 PM

Feb 2014
Roth said:
I think a separate page for comments would be better. Even if it directs you to the comment box, your profile still has to load and the scroll keeps taking you to the top.
The userscript doesn't work that way, at least for Firefox. It waits until the page loads completely before jumping to the comments.

Scratch that, it doesn't work that way. If you refresh it behaves that way though.
conceitMay 8, 2015 6:04 PM
May 8, 2015 5:57 PM

Jul 2012
Undim said:
Roth said:

What about a jump to comments link instead?
There is a userscript for that http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/51498
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 8, 2015 5:59 PM

Nov 2010
Rasco said:
IntroverTurtle said:
According to what? MAL? Then you would be happy with just 1 if MAL had only 1. Unless you really want to add numbers to the favorites? Perhaps something like this:
Favorites:
1. One Piece
2. One Piece
3. One Piece
4. One Piece
5. One Piece
6. Berserk

According to life, the more rare something is the more valuable it is and the more people will pay for it.

And no, we went over this. I think 5 is fine, yes 1 is more valuable than 5 though.

And I have no idea what you're getting at with that.
May 8, 2015 5:59 PM

Feb 2008
j0x said:

I don't see the point. You can just open their list and sort by rating.

SchwingBoner said:
Veronin said:

Or maybe I just have a lot of tabs open and a page loading 300 pictures at once overloads it. No need to be a condescending asshole.
May 8, 2015 6:04 PM

Mar 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Rasco said:
Favorites:
1. One Piece
2. One Piece
3. One Piece
4. One Piece
5. One Piece
6. Berserk

According to life, the more rare something is the more valuable it is and the more people will pay for it.

And no, we went over this. I think 5 is fine, yes 1 is more valuable than 5 though.

And I have no idea what you're getting at with that.

Yeah Life has to many variables to even consider, but good point about paying for something.

Yeah You think 5 is fine and yet Many Users think 10 is Fine. Way to go. You should honestly just have one then, Since its SO Valuable for you.

But my feels.
May 8, 2015 6:04 PM

Dec 2012
Awesama said:
Roth said:
The userscript doesn't work that way, at least for Firefox. It waits until the page loads completely before jumping to the comments.
I had no idea there was a userscript for this ._. And it takes you to the comment section, not the box. And you still have to wait, lol. In any case, it'd be nice to have the separate tab official.
May 8, 2015 6:05 PM

Mar 2009
I support the MAL achievements, they're very fun and give you incentive to watch more and use the site more. With MALgraphs disappearing especially, it would be nice. It's a harmless feature that's fun for people who want to achieve them, and it's something MAL lacks in comparison to competing sites.
May 8, 2015 6:07 PM

Jul 2012
Roth said:
Awesama said:
I had no idea there was a userscript for this ._. And it takes you to the comment section, not the box. And you still have to wait, lol. In any case, it'd be nice to have the separate tab official.
Why don't you simple press "END" :| if you want to get to the comment box without scrolling down
Undim said:
Herlock said:
There is a userscript for that http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/51498

At least two, apparently.

Since it's such an obvious and practical thing, let's make it a real part of the site.
Just wanted to share it not that I am against or anything
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 8, 2015 6:09 PM

Feb 2014
Roth said:
Awesama said:
Yeah, I edited my post lol. And there is a button for the comment box, btw.
May 8, 2015 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Fixing the last list updates bug please :)
May 8, 2015 6:20 PM

Feb 2013
Supporting some of what's already been brought up...

1. The ability to show/hide and re-order all sections on the profile page.
I'd like to remove Manga Stats completely. Others would be able to move the user info below the profile pic, etc.

2. Custom profile CSS
(should be served as text/css through a link element in the html header, not embeded in the markup like it is in lists)
* For best results, the page markup needs to be rewritten. (Tip: When writing html, it should also make sense as xml.)

Tacas said:
Make the Anime/Manga stats relative to your own stats rather than relative to the community's stats. So basically this.
+1 support.
The bars should be percent of your list total. Total Entries should be relative to the total of all anime existing (or maybe relative to the community since most have <1% total watched).
May 8, 2015 6:25 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not sure if the staff is reading the previous pages for edited posts, so a few other changes that I support:

- Give an option to hide online status. Sometimes I need to check an anime on the database quick but don't have the time or energy to reply to my PMs and comments and forum posts etc.
- Show banned status under 'access rank' if the user is banned.
- Remove the anime/manga relation requirement for blog posts. This is annoying for me because my blog posts usually have little to do with anime.

Rasco said:
Tachii said:
Its RANDOM, What other explanations do you need? Its gives a quick glance of a users anime, and perhaps gets them curious about their "Anime List". Not only that you might RANDOMLY find a good anime that you never heard about. And MAYBE you might get lucky and find a good Manga. The possibilities are endless.

It's a completely useless feature because you can just open up their list to get an idea of what kind of anime the person watches. It's redundant information taking up precious space for other, more important changes.
May 8, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2015
Veronin said:

SchwingBoner said:

Or maybe I just have a lot of tabs open and a page loading 300 pictures at once overloads it. No need to be a condescending asshole.

I always have 40 - 55 tabs open and never have problems loading pictures. Once again, it's time you upgrade.
May 8, 2015 6:33 PM

Mar 2010
Veronin said:
It's a completely useless feature because you can just open up their list to get an idea of what kind of anime the person watches. It's redundant information taking up precious space for other, more important changes.

Since you ignored My Reasons.. I'll just say that The profile Picture is just as "useless" since its just a RANDOM picture from the internet lol. But you like looking at it no? Just like many like looking at random anime from a profile.

But my feels.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
4 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.