Forum Settings
Forums

2015 MAL Profile Community Feedback and Suggestions

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
May 11, 2015 10:54 PM
Dec 2014
Hey guys!

I was thinking it would be great to add a privacy option to the profile where we can restrict who can read our comments to only our friends. It would be kind of like how we have the existing option that allows only our friends to comment....only this would make comment visibility to only friends as well.

P.S. Not sure if this falls in "profile changes" or "setting changes". I apologize if it's the later.
May 11, 2015 10:59 PM
Mar 2014
elevenletters said:
Xinil said:
Hey MAL! ....

Our current list of planned changes are:
  1. Favorites limit increased to 10 for each category.

Although I'm opposed to this change, can you try to at least change the format of the 'favorite' section so that it takes less space? Perhaps something like this:

They won't go for it because it wouldn't work on mobile. I also think it looks kind of bad, but that's irrelevant.

Lirina said:
- Comment box moved on top of Profile Comments, not at the end of the page.
That would be terrible. I don't use the comment section that often so I don't want to have to see it at the top..

It's not being moved to the top of the profile, just to the top of the comments section. Like on YouTube.
vegetablespiritMay 11, 2015 11:02 PM
May 11, 2015 11:08 PM

Dec 2011
How about have something like "My Panel" where you can customize what you want and what you don't want to show on your profile.

Like for some people they don't read manga so they don;t need the manga section.

Also maybe add in something like favourite ED/OP or something similar
May 11, 2015 11:10 PM

Mar 2011
I don't wanna sound like a party crasher, but maybe we shouldn't change too much - I got heavily used to the way my profile looks now ^_^

What I'd aprecciate would be an option to block out these FB, Twitter etc. icons as I use neither.

As the Malgraph subpage is about to close, what about such achievements here then?

For sure it's not perpetually the best way to post the badges as screenshots as that will, as mentioned before, unneccesarily increase the amount of pictures on your profile.
May 11, 2015 11:43 PM

Jan 2013
vodall said:
They won't go for it because it wouldn't work on mobile. I also think it looks kind of bad, but that's irrelevant.
Who wont go for it? Also the mobile site doesn't have a top 10 function on the profiles

Happosama said:
As the Malgraph subpage is about to close, what about such achievements here then?

For sure it's not perpetually the best way to post the badges as screenshots as that will, as mentioned before, unneccesarily increase the amount of pictures on your profile.
http://graph.anime.sc/
May 12, 2015 12:54 AM
Mar 2014
Positive
+ Instead of having more favourites in one category, let us have more categories for favourites. I really like the idea of adding favourite studios or genres, for instance.
+ I didn't know this hadn't been implemented yet, but you have to give the user some kind of feedback if someone's been banned.
+ Renaming the Yahoo/AIM/MSN boxes is a great idea, as people rarely ever use any of these nowadays.
+ Customizing your profile sections/categories, so that you can remove some boxes entirely. I suppose it would make for a lot more work than many of the other suggestions, but it would be a great way to allow users to make their profile more clean and hide sections they don't use.
+ Remove the random anime/manga - they have no meaning, if somebody wants to see someone's preferences, they can glance at their favourites.
+ Hide all the informatiion if someone chooses to have a private list.

Negative
- Personally, I dislike the idea of adding even more favourite anime/manga. There are already enough users who have exploited heavy system loads to add more, and it often completely eliminates the point of having favourites. I get that especially people who have seen plenty of shows might like a lot more than just five series, but the information really becomes useless at some point. I see the category as a quick and convenient way to get an idea of what somebody likes, and the more we add, the more is it losing its meaning. Aside from that, what exactly is the point of having countless favourites? A favourite is, by definition, something that stood out among all of the others, not a show you stumble across every other day.

1. (prenominal) most liked; preferred above all others
Source

While again, people can surely like more than just five series, I think it's perfectly fine the way it currently is - people have to put some thought into which series they choose as their favourites.
May 12, 2015 3:44 AM
Mar 2014
Undim said:
John_h said:
+ Remove the random anime/manga - they have no meaning, if somebody wants to see someone's preferences, they can glance at their favourites.

What someone's preferences are and what you and someone both have on your list is two different bits of information.

I didn't say that they are not, I said they're meaningless. We have both watched Bakemonogatari, Cowboy Bebop and Elfen Lied. Now what exactly does that tell me? Nothing, really. Everyone who has watched about a hundred shows will at least share five or ten series with nearly everyone, so it's not exactly a surprise that we share some of the most well-known anime around. There are two viable options as I see it: Either add the scores so that you can instantly see whether or not your opinions are the same, or remove the thing altogether. If you want an in-depth comparison, there's a seperate page already, so I don't see much of a reason to go for what I said first, as others have already mentioned that they don't see much of a reason for the information as well.
May 12, 2015 4:04 AM

Oct 2011
John_h said:
Everyone who has watched about a hundred shows will at least share five or ten series with nearly everyone, so it's not exactly a surprise that we share some of the most well-known anime around. There are two viable options as I see it: Either add the scores so that you can instantly see whether or not your opinions are the same, or remove the thing altogether. If you want an in-depth comparison, there's a seperate page already, so I don't see much of a reason to go for what I said first, as others have already mentioned that they don't see much of a reason for the information as well.

Favorites also have an impact on overall favorites in MAL.
I imagine it's easy for individuals to have a top 5 of current seasons. So the other 5 slots can be reserved for all-time favorites. That will carry some weight in MAL overall favorites and lead to better accuracy.

May 12, 2015 4:34 AM
Mar 2014
elevenletters said:
vodall said:
[/spoiler]

Mobile's irrelevant. There's a mobile version of this site and this change doesn't have to implemented there. Regardless, the key words in my post are "change the format of the 'favorite' section so that it takes less space" and "something like this".

I don't think you know how UX design works, which may explain why your example currently looks as it is. Everything needs to be as functionable and as easy as possible, but for this to be true, the amount of space something takes barely matters. Your suggestion is not only hard on mobile users, but it also omits vital information that is currently readily available. It literally does not add anything to the site, only takes away; it's a step backwards.

As Undim noted, I'm not the one saying it has to work on mobile sites, but based upon their recent changes, the devs definitely are. Even so, mobile web traffic is over half of all web traffic — that is very far from being irrelevant.
vegetablespiritMay 12, 2015 4:46 AM
May 12, 2015 11:53 AM

Jul 2012
elevenletters said:
Even so, mobile web traffic is over half of all web traffic — that is very far from being irrelevant.

Let me rephrase that:
"Mobile's irrelevant because there's a mobile version of this site"
In other words: "Mobile users remain unaffected since my request doesn't concern the mobile version of the site."
There.

thing is, they have been changing much stuff on the desktop version just because it was causing some problems on the mobile version so you can't really say that the mobile version is "independent". We are just making suppositions here but we can't guarantee it would work properly in both
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 12, 2015 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
Maybe on your profile page when you switch between Home, Reviews, Recommendations, Clubs, Friends it doesn't reload the page? It gets a bit annoying.

In the Clubs tab clubs could have thumbnails?

Oh and please don't remove Random Anime and Manga. I kinda like it.
May 12, 2015 12:59 PM

Jun 2013
YES INCREASED FAVOURITES!! CAN'T WAIT TO ADD ROSE OF VERSAILLES
May 12, 2015 10:55 PM

Nov 2007
Looking back at the previous pages, some of the suggestions are along the lines of:
  • "Here's the things I like; I'll hate you forever if you change these. I don't care if you change the *other* things, though."
  • "Why would you want to add that feature? I cannot think of any reason, therefore there's no reason to add that feature."
  • "I want to be able to customize EVERYTHING. My life won't be complete until I can replace the HTML doctype declaration with ASCII art."
  • "Please make it so that the website works with upside-down monitors. Thanks in advance."
However, there are quite a number of good ideas as well. I just hope that MAL has some design guidelines in mind and act accordingly rather than trying to please everyone.
May 13, 2015 5:53 AM

Jun 2013
Ry-sama said:
Input like a cover photo type thing to your profile, makes it more personalized.

And Possibility of Favourite Anime opening and closing songs to profile?
You already have the about me for pictures, pretty pointless to add a cover photo option.
May 13, 2015 6:17 AM

Jul 2012
Radiene said:
Ry-sama said:
Input like a cover photo type thing to your profile, makes it more personalized.

You already have the about me for pictures, pretty pointless to add a cover photo option.

exactly what I said before v
-Panda_Hero- said:

Lirina said:
Can we make the profile page like the "my panel" view where you can move stuff around?
Can we get different background colours for different sections of the profile pages? (Probably not, but I ask anyway.)
Also, I'm for a cover picture similar to the one that facebook has.

oh, please, no >.< we already have the "about me" section to put images and layouts and such
Give people too many customization options and everyone goes crazy with it xD

Ry-sama said:

and what do you mean with the anime opening and closing songs thing for profile? o.o
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 13, 2015 11:08 AM

Jul 2011
I think for the outdated sites such as Aim, Skype, MSN, etc instead of removing them maybe put the new social media sites like Tumblr and Instagram?

May 13, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2010
lifehurts said:
How about have something like "My Panel" where you can customize what you want and what you don't want to show on your profile.

Like for some people they don't read manga so they don;t need the manga section.

Also maybe add in something like favourite ED/OP or something similar
Oh yeah I mentioned this a couple posts above :b But yeah Something like the panel would suffice for a upgrade, since Our profile is a bit stiff.
http://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=panelsettings

As for your other suggestion.. Its up for debate and I wouldn't mind it since most things are optional anyways.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 13, 2015 5:03 PM

Dec 2012
Ry-sama said:
Sounds like a pain. You'd have to create separate pages for OP & EDs, and I think they're fine where it is rn, at the bottom of each entry.
May 13, 2015 5:54 PM

Mar 2010
Aridus said:
Maybe on your profile page when you switch between Home, Reviews, Recommendations, Clubs, Friends it doesn't reload the page? It gets a bit annoying.

In the Clubs tab clubs could have thumbnails?

Oh and please don't remove Random Anime and Manga. I kinda like it.

Everything loads really fast for me, so Its barely noticeable. Perhaps its your internet connection? :O

Thumbnails?

And Yes I agree I like Random things!! Its too bad users see It as a nuisance or something >< IDK why.
RascoMay 13, 2015 6:11 PM

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 14, 2015 4:39 AM

Dec 2012
Notifications for Disabled Comments

Basically you get a notification when you're going to reply to someone who's recently disabled their comments. I know a lot of people who regret writing a huge paragraph only to reply to a disabled comment section. You do get a notification, but it's after you write a reply.

Why am I getting this afterwards?

Make it show up when I'm ready to reply. The comment box shouldn't even appear.
RothMay 14, 2015 10:53 AM
May 14, 2015 4:44 AM

Oct 2009
Use Lazarus: Form Recovery add-on, it's a life-saver
May 14, 2015 8:49 AM

Jul 2014
I like how you can see the ratings of your friends in the stat page of an anime.
Actually, imo, it would be even more useful if you could see the ratings of determined users who you think are trustworthy or have similar tastes, rather than your friends.
I say this because not always that kind of users are prone to accept your friendship, so you can't take full advantage from that function.

Edit: Ok, I just realized this isn't really fitting for this topic. I'm going to open a topic in the suggestion section.
Aria-da-CapoMay 14, 2015 8:53 AM
May 14, 2015 9:51 AM

Aug 2014
Add profile view count in place of one of those things you're removing in the details list.
May 14, 2015 10:11 AM

Oct 2010
chaosflame5 said:

*A favourite genre section would be nice too on a profile page.

*A lot of people tend to re-watch anime or re-read mangas. "Re-watching" and "Re-reading" is displayed, but I would also like to have the number of re-watches and re-reads to be displayed as well, or even "Re-watched/Re-read x times" (x for any number). If people see a "Completed" label for a re-watched anime or re-read manga, they wouldn't know if this person has re-watched this entry or did that person finished an entry for the first time. So this should clear it up.

I would second these two.

Also, how about a "Favourite Studios" part on your profile?
May 14, 2015 10:15 AM

Dec 2012
Just don't fuck it up please (the profile feature is easily the best feature after the anime/manga list), and make new additions optional.
May 14, 2015 10:53 AM

Dec 2012
Serhiyko said:
Use Lazarus: Form Recovery add-on, it's a life-saver
Thanks! :)
May 14, 2015 11:28 AM

Oct 2009
vodall said:
Also, what about adding a + option in the recent updates? If I'm watching a single series, I really don't like having to go to my list every time to update my progress. Like this:

Here you are: MAL Plus in the Recent Updates
May 14, 2015 11:33 AM

Nov 2010
Serhiyko said:
vodall said:
Also, what about adding a + option in the recent updates? If I'm watching a single series, I really don't like having to go to my list every time to update my progress. Like this:

Here you are: MAL Plus in the Recent Updates
Does this also work for when you're in the Panel? That's where I think it would be the most useful.
May 14, 2015 12:29 PM

Dec 2012
It's not working for me :/
May 14, 2015 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
Why not just download Taiga if you're as far as using a user-script?!
May 14, 2015 1:05 PM

Dec 2012
Appreciating the new spoiler change.

Okashi_sama said:
Chromebook doesn't support.
May 14, 2015 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
Okashi_sama said:
Doesn't make much sense, program =/= userscript. Some people would rather just do everything on the site using an add on they already have rather than use a different program.

Roth said:

Great that that was finally fixed.
May 14, 2015 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
add the ability to add 10 favorites

done.
:3
May 14, 2015 2:41 PM

Oct 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
Does this also work for when you're in the Panel? That's where I think it would be the most useful.

Good point, it does now in the updated version

Roth said:
It's not working for me :/

It only works for anime, I was going to mention it and totally forgot. Manga uses one additional parameter and I have no idea how to get it without additional requests
SerhiykoMay 15, 2015 4:13 AM
May 14, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Roth said:

Great that that was finally fixed.
wait what is this change? Did alignment not work or something?

I'd check the changelog but it doesn't seem be be updated anymore
May 14, 2015 7:42 PM

Nov 2011
Is there any news as to when this is planned to be changed?

Just gonna say threads tab again. Am I the only one, really? Awww.

Friends tab could use work. I made a separate suggestion about that already. Seems people don't really care, though.
May 15, 2015 8:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I was thinking, instead of the current PM system (which is honestly pretty bad since managing your inbox and stuff is incredibly awkward), can't you just make it so that you can post profile comments incognito? As in let's say a checkmark box when you post a comment on someone's profile so that only the sender and the recipent can see the message when they're logged in, but nobody else can. It'd have the same effect as PMs in practicality, but it'd be way more convenient as quite frankly it's waaaayyy smoother to talk to people via com-to-com than PMs as it is atm

You could possibly even maintain the notification feature if you want but link it to private comments only, and have a "message read" checkmark box to fill in to make the notification disappear, same way you do when you open an unread mail
May 15, 2015 8:25 AM

Oct 2011
Undim said:
Syrup- said:
wait what is this change? Did alignment not work or something?

I'd check the changelog but it doesn't seem be be updated anymore

Re-hiding the spoiler would put the button to the left margin, regardless of how it was aligned before it was shown. It's always been broke until now.

I don't see any problems with the fix. Using Firefox btw.

May 15, 2015 8:35 AM

Oct 2009
Phraze said:
I don't see any problems with the fix. Using Firefox btw.

There aren't any problems with the fix, that's the point
May 15, 2015 9:24 PM

Jun 2013
Just a random one.

Display Picture Gallery.
Like, when someone wants to switch Display Pictures, it turns into a hassle... but if you add in a DP Gallery, you can switch in between the DP's that are pre-loaded into the Gallery.

For instance, I love my Lapis Lazuli DP... but I also want to use a Patchouli Knowledge DP... So I just load both in, and I can choose when I want to switch in between the two! One day I want the Lapis, Just switch to it... Another day I want Patchouli... No Problem! Just switch to it~

Of course, a Limit to how many DP's are in the Gallery would be nice... Around a Limit of 3 or 4 would be nice.
May 16, 2015 7:19 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Roth said:
This is getting annoying, you guys should fix the default link for Editing your Profile. It links to the Panel Settings and not Personal.
Eh, which button are you referring to? Both the one on your Panel, the one in the dropdown tab as well as the one on your About Me section all lead to the Personal tab for profile editing at least..
May 16, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2012
No nevermind, lol. Forget about that, that was the script. Just fixed it :>

Deleted my post.
May 16, 2015 7:48 AM

Dec 2012
A notification for profile comments that appears in the right with the username, would be nice.
May 17, 2015 3:47 PM

Feb 2014
Favourites increased to 10 is all I need :D
May 17, 2015 3:58 PM

Mar 2010
Azurea said:
Just a random one.

Display Picture Gallery.
Like, when someone wants to switch Display Pictures, it turns into a hassle... but if you add in a DP Gallery, you can switch in between the DP's that are pre-loaded into the Gallery.

For instance, I love my Lapis Lazuli DP... but I also want to use a Patchouli Knowledge DP... So I just load both in, and I can choose when I want to switch in between the two! One day I want the Lapis, Just switch to it... Another day I want Patchouli... No Problem! Just switch to it~

Of course, a Limit to how many DP's are in the Gallery would be nice... Around a Limit of 3 or 4 would be nice.
Yes Keep the randomness ALIVE (see what I mean by possibilities?).. Anyways good feature idea sounds fancy and maybe it could be set to randomize your profile Picture when its refreshed like certain signatures.

And about the limits.. I think it should higher but yeah 4 is a nice even number. Of course I'm not sure how stable this site is but I'm not adding that into account for now(since there is not any major lag present).
tsudecimo said:
A notification for profile comments that appears in the right with the username, would be nice.
The consensus for this is outstanding and so I hope that our voice's have been heard to get some type of notification for comments. And perhaps maybe even for the forums too..
Ciarson said:
Favourites increased to 10 is all I need :D
Really? Well I guess some users see it satisfactory enough. (Just like with 5) But I think having a "show all" for more favorites would hit the nail on the head for Complete satisfactory.
RascoMay 17, 2015 4:03 PM

But my feels.
May 18, 2015 2:26 AM

Dec 2011
Roth said:
Ry-sama said:
Sounds like a pain. You'd have to create separate pages for OP & EDs, and I think they're fine where it is rn, at the bottom of each entry.

I don't think there is a need to have a page for ED or OP. I mean just link it to the anime that those op and ed belong too should be just fine
May 18, 2015 10:55 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
To all that participated by providing suggestions or constructive criticisms. THANK YOU! I saw a bunch of great ideas that we're excited to implement! For now though, I'm closing down this suggestion thread and will provide an announcement in the future when our profile changes are ready to release.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
3 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.