Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 4, 2015 6:03 AM

Mar 2015
naki12 said:
LegnaOnFire said:
I wonder why there is so much hate focused on this anime. It is quite decent with some flaw here and there, but you cannot meet everyone's expectations.

I had a good laught when I saw this:

They all look like the same person.
Maybe they are all identical brothers. Anyways, it looks like they had one CGI model of the guy on the horse with the polearm and they just place all duplicates of it onto the frame.

Not quite.
May 4, 2015 6:17 AM

May 2014
Really enjoyed the episode, felt really bad for Shapur because I thought he was an interesting characters that we might get more for him later, but nope..

Oh well, I'm liking that new Gieve guy, and those Lustanians are just a pain in the butt with their beliefs.. Seriously and that guy talking was ugly as hell.

May 4, 2015 6:39 AM

May 2015
Really enjoyed the episode, one of my favorite anime on this season :)
May 4, 2015 6:58 AM

Sep 2014
Now that was really good episode. I sorta thought they'd show Shapu getting tortured more, but it's alright. The new character seems interesting.
May 4, 2015 10:13 AM
Mar 2008
Just a little reminder that this is based on a Novel by the same author of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so if you are expecting some turbo fireworks action for your ritalin supressed attention span, sorry not gonna happen. Go watch fate or some thing like that.
May 4, 2015 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
The show has no focus and they keep introducing some new character every episode.
May 4, 2015 10:51 AM
Mar 2008
Always-Hungry said:
The show has no focus and they keep introducing some new character every episode.

You haven't watched anything with more than 12 episodes right?
May 4, 2015 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
I'm really liking this one, but I'm sort of bothered that the queen is listening to someone playing music while a battle is going down. I feel like she should be doing something
May 4, 2015 2:39 PM

Mar 2014
G_Spark233 said:
LauraBirdie said:
Dude could have easily shot Bodin the inquisitor with that accuracy

The Inquisitor would have more than enough time to dodge that shit

Nah, he didn't see that first arrow coming, he was too busy laughing.

But seriously, I hate characters like him, I'll keep watching to see if he kicks the bucket. Probably not anytime soon.
May 4, 2015 2:53 PM

Dec 2012
Each episode is better than the previous. The Lusitanians are smart, good scheme to win.
Fortunately, the Pars' soldier was killed.
May 4, 2015 6:50 PM

Nov 2012
I wasn't sure of it till now, but I think this anime is geographically and culturally similar to the South Asian lands and tradition. Although the clothing of the women does not seem familiar, the male characters (besides Daryun and Arslan), including all the commoners, all appear to pay homage to the archaic style of the land. Also, the name Peshawar is the name of a town in Pakistan and the recitation of the poetry accompanied by music is very similar to the recitation of olden poetry in both the Arabian lands, Pakistan, and India. The style of delivery, though, has changed. In Pakistan, the poetry is often sung without accompanying instruments except a dauf (dha-f, a single drum with tightly pulled skin). The war style also seems similar in their weaponry and the widespread enslavement of people as well as the moral battle that is striking the nations upon the topic of slavery is very close to the actual occurrences that went on in the South Asian and somewhat of the Arabian peninsula at the time. Another interesting clash of perspectives is the shift in rulers- which also marks the shift in perspective that took place in history, such as in Egypt- from the king's days of honor and unquestionable obedience to the more lenient, accepting attitude of the prince. And finally, the most telling sign being the infrastructure's rounded dome and architectural designs as well as the significance of the religious cult that chose to attack Pars- which I hope will later lead to a clash of ideologies. It's all rather exciting to see and I can't wait to see more similarities later on. I'm glad the creator of the manga/anime decided to use the South Asian culture as inspiration.
May 4, 2015 8:18 PM

Mar 2015
Wow Gieve's quite an ass but he's pretty charismatic, huh. And KENN as his VA--

Altho some instruments ~magically appeared~ while he was playing the oud(was it an oud?) that sequence of scenes was very good.

I liked the moment when the arrow hits Shapur's head, it switches to his POV, that gets blurrier and bluerrier... that was quite something.

Also, the "If we don’t keep him, who else is going to cook us delicious food?" part. Nicely said, Arslan.

As for the CGI....I'm... I'm trying not to think too much about it......
May 4, 2015 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
Tlahuizcapante said:
naki12 said:
Maybe they are all identical brothers. Anyways, it looks like they had one CGI model of the guy on the horse with the polearm and they just place all duplicates of it onto the frame.

Not quite.

oh my god LOL XD
May 4, 2015 10:56 PM

May 2015
aziza said:
I'm really liking this one, but I'm sort of bothered that the queen is listening to someone playing music while a battle is going down. I feel like she should be doing something

lol, 100% agree with that XD
May 5, 2015 10:44 AM

Feb 2014
Honestly dont give a shit about the CGI, how often do you see such large scale battles animated. They could not possible hope to hand draw all that stuff
May 5, 2015 2:43 PM

Aug 2013
Jyagan said:
Just a little reminder that this is based on a Novel by the same author of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so if you are expecting some turbo fireworks action for your ritalin supressed attention span, sorry not gonna happen. Go watch fate or some thing like that.

The old LOGH anime has far "better turbo fireworks" action than Arslan Senki. Why bring up Fate, when LOGH (based on a novels by the same author) does that (and other things) much better than the anime this discussion is about?
May 5, 2015 4:18 PM

Jun 2008
Mich666 said:
They really could cut some needless beginning comedy but at last this was pretty decent episode.
(As for strategy - I am still baffled why they didn't remind their slaves that they are living in abundance and that the life in the city isn't actually bad... as opposed to uncertain future. I doubt many of them would actually rebel against their masters. Surely they could promise them something better to appease their anger)

Just one thing - Gieve is too bishouneny and daring type, I doubt his words and deeds would be left "unrewarded".

They probably get abused enough that they are willing to take a risk on freedom even if that means they face an uncertain future in terms of having 3 meals a day.
I think more effective will be to remind them that Lusitanians slaughter and kill and that they may get slaughter and killed after they help them instead of receiving freedom and money.
The fear of getting slaughter is probably more effective in making them not rebelling at the moment.
May 6, 2015 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
I can not say it was an exciting episode, but the story is at least interesting, although it may seem like a "filler" to lengthen the stock. But despite being magnanimous in my remarks, I must admit that with regard to the drawings, I can not be disappointed. A substantial decline really noticed, except in the sets, really beautiful and strong artistic appeal. +1 For Shapur, this is to be real men.
May 6, 2015 7:26 AM

Dec 2009
Shapur :((( I'm still crying.
Great episode, I loved it. Can't wait for more action, when more characters will join Arslan and co.
(Guys I'm starting to sing along the OP and ED songs, really love them)
May 6, 2015 9:41 AM
May 2014
black1blade said:
robis798 said:

But it really wouldn't have accomplished anything major.

Yeah I guess he didn't want to risk firing too many arrows. Is it just me or did the Pars solider's arrows seem like sling shots?

This.
also Gieve is travelling musician, so he's not going "PARS! PARS! FOR THIS COUNTRY SAKE, I SHALL KILL THE OPPOSING IMPORTANT PERSON" - in fact, at that point, nobody talks about rewards at all.

Shapur got beaten, requests for deliverance from impending bloody torture. Bloody torture started, Gieve fire a shot and ending Shapur's life. For all his doing though, technically Gieve can still be charged with murder of important person (Shapur is an important general)

If we taking hostage situation in real life, where hostage himself says that there's no hope for him and just take him out of his misery, expecting moral dilemma (and perhaps family anger and grief later towards this savior/murderer later. actually, expect problem too with authorities).

aside from giving character moment for Gieve, I think this is also giving several point for the Queen
May 6, 2015 11:37 AM

Aug 2014
This show is really starting to grow on me.

Didn't find Gieve's song to be all that great, but I kinda like his character archetype - rouge.
The CG wasn't as distracting this time, it blends in rather nice.
Arslan seems like he will be more capable than I expected.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
May 6, 2015 3:11 PM

Oct 2011
Gieve can do everything.

Shapur RIP T___T

I hope the Queen survives
May 6, 2015 7:48 PM

Jun 2014
StevenHu said:
I initially thought Shapur was King Andragoras, who had not only been tortured by the enemies, but also shaved clean after being tied up to shame him.

Too many memories of "Game of Thrones" recalled from this episode.

Ecbatana is doomed.

this is what i was thinking the entire time
May 7, 2015 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Fairly good episode, boring in some parts.
May 8, 2015 9:31 AM

Dec 2013
I'm mildly confused here.... for those who read the manga... did they change it up?!?!

If that's the case, then what the hell is he doing in Ecbatana? Lusitania are laying siege to the city right now....... how the hell is he suppose to be able to leave the city to do what he did in the manga?????

Oh and is it just me, or has almost every single Episode 5 of this season been one huge snooze fest? Either it's filler with no development, or they've been slowed down and drawn out to a snails pace for some reason...
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 8, 2015 9:39 AM

Apr 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
I'm mildly confused here.... for those who read the manga... did they change it up?!?!

That's supposed to happen later on. You'll see in the next few episode how he leaves the city.
May 10, 2015 12:29 AM

Nov 2011
Berserk mastermedieval
May 10, 2015 3:02 AM

Aug 2014
eXtacy67 said:
Honestly dont give a shit about the CGI, how often do you see such large scale battles animated. They could not possible hope to hand draw all that stuff
I fully agree with you, it kinda reminds me of dynasty warriors if anyone has ever played the game where every infantry looks the same e.g moba creeps and the main characters are the heroes. People have no more patience for setting up characters and shit like that immersing themselves in the world.
May 11, 2015 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
RIP Shapur! That headshot was epic though. I kind of hoped it'll go through their leaders head first before hitting Shapur tbh. I wonder how they'll react to the slaves rising next time, kill them all or just restrain them?

Awesome episode!
May 12, 2015 1:45 PM
Apr 2015
This episode was really good. But, I actually thought that bow man was a woman.. I was like "ohh queen you think she is a guy?" and when he spoke for the first time... okay I was wrong..
May 12, 2015 2:03 PM

Feb 2015
RIP Shapur. He went out like a warrior.

That was brutal. Grieve, however, is always amusing.
May 16, 2015 1:53 PM
May 2015
elanska said:

also Gieve is travelling musician,...

I think Gieve is a GŌSĀN
gosans were traveling musician who song Epic stories for people in ancient Persia

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/gosan
May 20, 2015 9:38 AM

May 2014
No! Not Roy Mustang!... Oh wait. I mean, Not Shapur!

Seriously though, that scene was brutal.

Also, loving how the military is actually using real tactics, don't really get to see that these days.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
May 23, 2015 10:55 PM

May 2013
Yes, Elam is staying because he can prepare delicious meals!

Fuck that Bodin. Glad Gieve saved Shapur from suffering. Wish he also shot Bodin.
As Narsus predicted, the slaves are fighting.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
May 23, 2015 11:22 PM

Jul 2008
Yep, Ecbatana is screwed.
Jun 2, 2015 10:40 AM

Nov 2010
Shapur went away brutally, luckily he didn't suffered that much with Gieve's arrow
It's looking much like a mix of Break Blade (large cast) and Berserker (the gore) so far which is a good thing with low censoring
Jun 6, 2015 5:07 PM

Feb 2013
Should have arrow'd the bad guy first. But wow, that headshot would have hurt.
Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM

Dec 2011
Gradually over the years building up an enemy army within your own walls, never thinking of the consequences...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 29, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2014
Great episode. Slight change between the manga and anime though, Narsus predicted the exact same words the Lusitanian soldiers used in the manga. But oh well I know about his intelligence.
Nice introduction of Gieve, the queen Tahamaney looking as nice as always, beautiful name too.
And Shapur, great character, so sad that he had to die though.
Jul 8, 2015 4:42 AM

Apr 2010
Spirai said:

Being from Peshawar myself, I can't describe how excited I was at this. Not to mention him: He looks just like the locals here. Even their BEARDS look like that!
Anime diversity strikes again!
Jul 12, 2015 6:08 AM

Jan 2011
The only available release in English is hardsubbed, fml.
"Sometimes the prince looks like a fucking princess."
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 22, 2015 3:06 AM
Jan 2014
I mistook Shapur for Roy Mustang for a moment there. I was so surprised I almost fell off my chair.
Aug 15, 2015 2:18 PM

Jun 2014
robis798 said:
CGI =/= bad. Do you really expect ufotable's or KyoAni's level of CGI? Give it some slack, it looked really decent.

People really hate on CGI man. For no reason. It looked pretty damn good for animating THAT many people.

IT was a good episode, but shit it going south QUICK for Pars.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Aug 20, 2015 4:03 AM

Aug 2014
I kept thinking someone should shoot the poor person and relieve him of his misery and pain but then he said it and Gieve did it, which was good.

the queen doesn't seem like she is scared of anything, not even the prospect of a siege. hmm
Sep 23, 2015 4:16 AM

Apr 2014
The archery dude was able to charm the queen.

I'm wondering whether he actually shot the soldier out of mercy though, or because he knew he would be rewarded. He's experienced with conning people.
Sep 27, 2015 3:48 PM

Jan 2015
How the fuck could the bitch queen see all the way from that balcony...

And oh look, another random stupid mad religious group. Even the Earth Cult was better than that.

That music moment, much wow. But... can someone explain how that dude could play both the flute and the luth at the same time ? He even spoke nonsense while doing that, really incredible !
HapHazrDSep 27, 2015 3:54 PM
Oct 22, 2015 12:23 AM
Oct 2011
Revisiting this ep, I still love the scene where Arslan's following along with Narsus toward the end and shows how much he's been paying attention since the start of the first episode and how his mind's getting keener as he quickly hones in on Narsus implying it's the slaves. Thanks to some of truths he's learned about the slaves that weren't taught to him by his tutors who would leave those kinds of truths out as he said back then.

I also didn't mind the CG (even if they admittedly could have atleast tweaked the faces when they knew they'd be upclose on the screen), since it allows such a massive amount of troops to be on the screen.

ZoroZoldyck said:
Really enjoyed the episode, felt really bad for Shapur because I thought he was an interesting characters that we might get more for him later, but nope..

Oh well, I'm liking that new Gieve guy, and those Lustanians are just a pain in the butt with their beliefs.. Seriously and that guy talking was ugly as hell.

Yeah, he was great, I would have loved to have seen more of Shapur. Doesn't hurt he looked like Mustang and had a badass personality in his short screentime.

And Gieve was great.
Jan 11, 2016 5:01 PM

May 2012
Okay development, but this anime really isn't that interesting to be honest.
Feb 12, 2016 4:17 PM

Mar 2010
Holy the first part had beautiful dialogue and presence..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 24, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2013
Great. A fuckboi appears. Don't think I'm gonna like that guy. And he played some kind of guitar but what I heard is the sound of a flute. What?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2015

118 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 24, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2015

109 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 11, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2015

115 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 9, 1:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.