Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 30, 2015 1:32 PM
Apr 2015
Madoka Magica came out at the same time where the anime industry started to resurrect. Yes, there were some great shows since 2006 (Tatami Galaxy, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood & others), but the overall industry sucked.
The show was solid. Great animation, great plot, good cast, a little pretentious (Shaft), but overall pretty fucking good. And it got loads of praise and admiration... But way too much in my opinion. It's not even the best magical girl deconstruction (Princess Tutu holds that spot). The same year HunterXHunter(2011), Usagi Drop, Steins;Gate and other good titles came out which are arguably better.

Is Madoka Magica way too overrated?
Apr 30, 2015 1:33 PM

May 2012
Yeah its overrated. It isn't a deconstruction fyi, just an edgy magical girl show.
Apr 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Jul 2011
Nah, i don't think so.

*Waiting for the "discussion" of the thread*
Apr 30, 2015 1:37 PM

Feb 2015
Nah...the TV series has got one of the most satisfying endings.
Sep 2007
Honestly, for me it's almost unwatchable whenever Homura is present, and somehow more bearable when Madoka is onscreen - meaning, she's almost as bad as Homura.

Parts with Mami, Kyoko, and especially Sayaka are almost 10/10, and if it weren't for them, I doubt I would even finish first series.

That being said, I think it's kind of show everyone should check out...

Oct 2012
I dunno, I'll found out later today whether its good or not, I figured I'd watch it since its Walpurgisnacht tonight.
Apr 30, 2015 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
It might be a little overrated? probably, but at this point, even HxH (2011) its overrated.

Apr 30, 2015 1:41 PM

May 2012
Feaor said:
I dunno, I'll found out later today whether its good or not, I figured I'd watch it since its Walpurgisnacht tonight.

Don't forget, it is the anime equivalent of Faust. Take notes.
Apr 30, 2015 1:43 PM

Feb 2013
Who cares
Apr 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Oct 2012
PoeticJustice said:
Feaor said:

Don't forget, it is the anime equivalent of Faust. Take notes.
Yup I'm aware and I've read Faust relatively recently (maybe like 5 months ago?) so I'll be interested to see what it actually incorporates beyond the obvious Faustian Bargain.
Apr 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2011
gedata said:
Who cares

People cares about everything.
Apr 30, 2015 1:47 PM

Dec 2012
PoeticJustice said:
Yeah its overrated. It isn't a deconstruction fyi, just an edgy magical girl show.
Who cares? Who...caaaaaaaareeees? This isn't aimed at you Poetic, but holy smokes I wish people would stop basing this show's entire worth on whether it deconstructs or not.

@ Topic - Nonsense, Madoka Magica is fully deserving of its praise. It brilliantly explores the contrast between hope and despair and lends insight into the humanity (and dehumanization) of both. I don't see the need to compare it to shows that really have no relation to it. Even Tutu's entire premise was entirely different as its focus was more on fairy tales and the role of characters within the story, not on the role of a magical girl herself.
Apr 30, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2012
wrong forum, should be in its own sub-forum
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 30, 2015 1:49 PM

Nov 2012
Meh characters
Good concept
Interesting ending
Great animation and ost.

Overrated but not as bad as some people would have you believe.
Apr 30, 2015 1:52 PM

Mar 2015
i prefer read it manga version rather than anime, dunno exactly why but from what i remember, i think it anime have slow start and disturbing sound.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 30, 2015 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
PoeticJustice said:

Says the School days fan :3

Nah seriously. I love the show a damn lot but it has an issue with its pacing. Events seem to happen much faster than the associated character development. So it has a kind of rushed structure that makes certain tragic/emotional moments fall flat.
Apr 30, 2015 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
Okay serious question, why would it matter if Madoka Magica gets "too much praise"? Who sets the bar for quality and tells people to stop praising one series for another?
Why point it Hunter x Hunter when it was in one of its weakest arcs in 2011?
Apr 30, 2015 2:01 PM
Sep 2011
Any amount of praise and adoration for a show is fine. It's just that more often or not shows that are highly praised come with highly volatile fanbases. Back in 2011 you couldn't even suggest that Madoka used elements already done by shows like Sailor Moon, lest the lynch mob come for you.

It always amused me when people say things like "You WILL cry! I don't care who you are!" Especially when it comes to episode 10. The amount of people who outright admit they forced people to watch it cause it's "SO AMAZING" is disturbing.

Having strong feelings about a show is fine, but pushing your feelings onto other people and getting so nasty when people don't think it's all that great is not. And let's not even get into any nonsense about the show being "objectively" good.
Apr 30, 2015 2:03 PM

Sep 2014
yeah kind of overrated, there is nothing new in there tbh. and first few eps were even bit boring.
i kinda liked the Rebellion movie better
Apr 30, 2015 2:08 PM
Sep 2007
I didn't find anything special with episode 10.

It was just constructed to change viewers opinions in a belated and forceful way.

Music was okay, though.
Apr 30, 2015 2:10 PM

May 2013
I love everything about it, but the 3rd movie was kinda weird.
Apr 30, 2015 2:13 PM

Jul 2011
WingsOfValor said:

Why?
Apr 30, 2015 2:14 PM

Nov 2014
Didn't see the movies but the anime was great ImO
Apr 30, 2015 2:15 PM

Oct 2010
Praland said:
WingsOfValor said:

Why?

It's kind of weird to admit but that may be my favorite moment in the entire Rebellion movie.
Apr 30, 2015 2:16 PM

Jan 2014
How can a deconstruction be overrated?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 30, 2015 2:17 PM

Sep 2014
Lancehot said:
Imaishi said:

i kinda liked the Rebellion movie better

Heresy!

Why? The ending was way better.
Apr 30, 2015 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
It's overrated, but it's still a good anime. Shit ending, though.

It has great Shaft visuals, very nice soundtrack, and an interesting take on the magic girl genre. It's very nice and (sorta) engaging at times, but it never really captivates me. I keep feeling like a detached observer, and that's not what I want from anime. I want a powerful emotional experience. The anime really tries to achieve that, but it never really succeeds. Instead it just becomes a mess of pretentious deepshit and a half-assed deconstruction.

6/10
Apr 30, 2015 2:30 PM

Apr 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
It brilliantly explores the contrast between hope and despair and lends insight into the humanity (and dehumanization) of both.

Whoa bro, so deep.
Apr 30, 2015 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
Altairius said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
It brilliantly explores the contrast between hope and despair and lends insight into the humanity (and dehumanization) of both.

Whoa bro, so deep.
When it comes to anime, I go balls deep on everything.
Apr 30, 2015 8:19 PM

Jul 2014
>mfw this thread again

To answer the thread question, I would say that, in my opinion, it's overrated.

I don't think it's bad, because I liked the animation and especially the music, which was by far my favorite part of the whole show, but everything else just felt so meh.

Like, the story had potential, even if the whole magical girl deconstruction was done at least twice before (Revolutionary Girl Utena and Princess Tutu), but then you think about a few things and it begins to fall apart.

Not only that, but I didn't think that the characters were well-developped. Of course, this show was written by Urobuchi, who has literally come out and said that the only way he knows how to write character development is by having bad things happen to them. But I didn't get to care about any of the characters because it felt like they were spending more time shitting on the characters than showing us why should we care about them. If a story is grimdark and angsty to the point where nothing good happens for most of it, I don't get invested enough to care about the conflict or drama, and all of this could have been sidestepped if the show had more episodes to allow for more character development prior to shit hitting the fan.

Bottom line, I liked the animation and music but didn't care for the rest of it. My benchmark for classifying a show as overrated is whether it lives up to the hype or not, and for me, it didn't. I can probably understand where most of the initial hype for this came from, because apparently a lot of the shows that were coming out around that time were Moe schoolgirls, and this is a masterpiece compared to those, because at least it has some degree of "depth" to it rather than relying on the characters' Moe appeal to carry the whole show, and it deserves credit for that. But apart from that, great animation and astounding music aren't enough to save a show from mediocrity.
D-ohnutsMay 1, 2015 1:08 PM
Apr 30, 2015 10:09 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Nope, it's a masterpiece. Deserves all the praise it gets. Easily one of the best mahou shoujo anime out there.
May 1, 2015 12:52 AM

Jun 2014
64SuperNintendo said:
then you think about a few things and it begins to fall apart.

No,it doesn't.That just you not understanding the story.
May 1, 2015 1:08 AM

Nov 2012
yup, it's definitely overrated.
May 1, 2015 2:56 AM

Apr 2014
It's kind of a boring question - people will like what they like, and good luck to them (same goes for disliking) - but the short answer is No. The show's a masterpiece.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
May 1, 2015 5:10 AM

Jul 2014
Szadek23 said:
64SuperNintendo said:
then you think about a few things and it begins to fall apart.

No,it doesn't.That just you not understanding the story.

D-ohnutsMay 1, 2015 5:15 AM
May 1, 2015 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
They're aware MGs become witches in the Joan of Arc spin-off manga, so it's clearly not something that *never* happens. But MGs are oftentimes quite isolated, and the discovery has probably been made multiple times - and not made multiple times too.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
May 1, 2015 3:01 PM

Apr 2008
@64SuperNintendo
My theory is that Kyubey is purposefully looking for dumbest girls who will ask no uncomfortable question or worse, can think and have a chance of outthinking him. Just look at Madoka. Her lack of curiosity is unbelievable. If I were her, I would like to know what is going on. If you were Madoka, wouldn’t you like to ask Homura what does she mean by that you should not become a magical girl,
? Madoka eventually does something, but not because she is actively looking for information and analyzing the situation, so as to prepare something that may end all of this. She only does something after surviving thanks to having her butt saved by her friends, having all the necessary information thrown right into her face and Homura successfully delaying her from making a dumb decision, I mean, becoming a magical girl.

This series message seems to be that you may overcome a dire situation, without working hard, without trying to think, without trying to gather allies and without trying to make a team that may help you. All you need is dumb luck.
Lain666May 1, 2015 3:15 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
May 2, 2015 2:18 AM

Mar 2015
There's mixed opinions toward this series, that's for sure. But to me the answer no, I think Madoka Magica is deserving of the praise it received.

I personally loved the series, but it's also interesting to hear others' perspective, good or bad. In fact, I think the widely varied viewpoints of the audience is a good thing.

The characters in this show aren't an open book, there are many sides driving their decisions in the story, their motivations may not be clear at first, but look from their perspective and I'm sure things will seem different.

Ultimately, the show's greatest strength is in it's characters and their ability to draw empathy from the audience and of course this makes enjoyment of the show highly subjective.
May 2, 2015 2:41 PM

Nov 2013
silverwalls said:
yup, it's definitely overrated.
I thought you were cool.

How could you do this.

;__;
May 23, 2015 7:20 AM
Jan 2013
The Madoka Fanbase praises a show that did the exact same bad things as SAO did but even worse.

May 24, 2015 3:18 AM

May 2014
I object that PMMM is a mahou shoujo genre.

Watch Madoka Magica, and you learn how the world really is, but you DON'T learn how to make things better. Watch Precure or Nanoha, and you learn how to make a bright future for yourself and for others.

in case you don't get the message.... madoka magica SUCKS! If you want to see the REAL DEAL and awesome magical girl show, watch Precure or Nanoha.
May 27, 2015 5:25 AM

Sep 2011
With an overall rating of 8,59 as of today I would say it is slightly underrated especially in comparison to some other shows which have a higher rating.

2011 was a very good year for anime: Steins Gate, Chihayafuru, Fate Zero, Usagi Drop were all great but Madoka Magica stands one level higher in my opinion and all the praise it gets is deserved.

Whether it is a deconstruction or not doesn't really matter.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.