Forum Settings
Forums

New TV Anime 'Dragon Ball Super' Announced for Summer 2015

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
May 4, 2015 11:22 PM

Mar 2014
Don't you think it's too much coincidence that the title of the series has "SUPER" in it and the main transformation has blue hair?

FRANKY CONSPIRACY!
May 5, 2015 6:19 AM

Feb 2013
ziggy_Z said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lol no. Death Note and AOT are not on this level.

All the countries in green DBZ has been broadcasted in.

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2012/09/dragon-ball-z-2013-movie-receiving-government-funding/

https://www.thecnl.com/FunimationDec2014Catalog.pdf

"Dragon Ball Z is the number 1 selling anime brand of all time. Over 25 million DVDs and Blurays of the Dragon Ball franchise have been sold in the US." (Source: Nielsen Videoscan)

"Over 15 million videogames of the Dragon Ball franchise have been sold in the US with over 40 million sold worldwide."

"Over 5 billion in Dragon Ball merchandise has been sold worldwide."

Verily, no anime will ever be as/more recognized and as/more marketable than the story of the Dragon Balls.

Pokemon is more recognized/marketable tho
the pokémon games have sold more than 260 million copies worldwide
the cardgame shipped more than 21.5 billion cards to 74 countries

The First and Second Pokémon movie are also the highest grossing anime(so from Japan) in America. The first movie made $163,644,662 Worldwide, which is the 4th highest grossing anime movies of all time
( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pokemon1.htm)

I can't find DVD sales, I would really love to know

Also that 5 billion is cute compared to Pokémon, which has made ¥4 trillion, which is around $50.13 billion
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokemon
(wikipedia says 40.9 billion but the games sales are also outdated so it could be wrong, idk, but you get my point)

so yeah it's safe to say that the pokémon franchise is bigger than the dragonball franchise, but I can't say if that is true if we would only count the anime
ChampMay 5, 2015 6:26 AM
May 6, 2015 9:41 PM

May 2008
I guess one can't be too surprised considering the sudden making of the movies. In hindsight, the movies was probably to garner interest.

That said, I have never understood the need to hype about something that we have almost no idea what it'll be about and based on the title alone. Just because it's Dragon Ball doesn't mean it'll be any good. Especially if this follows DBZ's style rather than Dragon Ball's... Anyways, I'll be more interested if Super follow Dragon Ball's roots since it'll then actually have the chance of being good.

Also this:
Dumuzi said:
Remakes mostly fall flat, because originals are inscribed in a particular time frame, completely disregarded thereafter. It's not a matter of staff, or technique... Dragon Ball is a product of its own era, inspired by scifi, westerns and other animes of '80 and '90 period. What the franchise has to bring fanbase anymore ? Even as a new series, I can sense it's all gonna be about milking fandom some more.

I would be very very surprised if Dragon Ball Super turns to be as popular as DBZ. It simply doesn't have the same emotions attached to it and we're now in a time where we have quite a bit to choose from and tastes may have changed.
May 6, 2015 9:54 PM

Sep 2013
Dumuzi said:
Remakes mostly fall flat, because originals are inscribed in a particular time frame, completely disregarded thereafter. It's not a matter of staff, or technique... Dragon Ball is a product of its own era, inspired by scifi, westerns and other animes of '80 and '90 period. What the franchise has to bring fanbase anymore ? Even as a new series, I can sense it's all gonna be about milking fandom some more.

The bog movie brought new universes and gods into the mix and the F movie brought development for goku (stop being soft)
The new series will have more development as well but not like the haters will notice anyways, good action and a rich world too.

GG
May 6, 2015 11:03 PM
Jun 2013
TheNextChamp said:
ziggy_Z said:

Verily, no anime will ever be as/more recognized and as/more marketable than the story of the Dragon Balls.

Pokemon is more recognized/marketable tho
the pokémon games have sold more than 260 million copies worldwide
the cardgame shipped more than 21.5 billion cards to 74 countries

The First and Second Pokémon movie are also the highest grossing anime(so from Japan) in America. The first movie made $163,644,662 Worldwide, which is the 4th highest grossing anime movies of all time
( http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pokemon1.htm)

I can't find DVD sales, I would really love to know

Also that 5 billion is cute compared to Pokémon, which has made ¥4 trillion, which is around $50.13 billion
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokemon
(wikipedia says 40.9 billion but the games sales are also outdated so it could be wrong, idk, but you get my point)

so yeah it's safe to say that the pokémon franchise is bigger than the dragonball franchise, but I can't say if that is true if we would only count the anime

I think the pic about broadcast misses Kashmir . I am from Kashmir and it has got a telecast there and that too at the various times ( From morning till evening ) .
May 8, 2015 3:42 PM

Dec 2007
ROFL. I can't believe someone actually tried the popularity argument. I would ask if there was a single human being who'd argue that DBZ wasn't the most popular series ever, and yet I see people in here doing that very thing. Which is ludicrous. But no, popularity does not equal quality.

Nxtslide said:
SageShinigami said:

I mean, whatever helps you sleep at night. But YYH and HxH are stories. DBZ is Animated WWE. Which, like I said, I'm okay with. Among my friends I'm one of the few hyped for DB Super. But just because I like something doesn't mean I can't recognize flaws/weaknesses in writing.

That's very ignorant.

Flaws you perceive =/= Inherent flaws

You are free to think that DB has no substance to it, and is just action, screaming and such. But some people see that it has substance from their point of view, be it in the development of some characters like Picoloo and Vegeta or the adventure aspect in the first part, or the story of the Namek Saga, etc. Point is, don't assume everyone sees something the same way as you, just because you don't see something in it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That's, not how it works. Just because a series HAS flaws doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. All of my favorite series are flawed as hell, but I love them in spite of that (or sometimes because of it, depending on the series).

Also I ain't arguing with ppl that have DBZ avatars anymore. Ya'll gotta get over it.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 8, 2015 3:52 PM
Dec 2012
This is going to be LEGENDARY
May 9, 2015 9:19 AM

Mar 2015
More episodes where nothing happens except for screaming and transformation sequences? New forms that are just recolored versions of the old forms? Yaaaaaaawn.
May 9, 2015 10:45 AM

Aug 2013
SageShinigami said:
popularity does not equal quality.

I agree.

Honestly, I found DBZ to be -incredibly- monotonous.
It can be summed up like:
Vegeta arc: "We must stop these Saiyans from destroying humanity and planet earth!!"
Frieza arc: "A new threat to destroy earth? And he's even a bigger threat than the Saiyans OMG"
Cell arc: "A new new threat to destroy earth?!?!? He's even a bigger threat than both the Saiyans and Freiza! GASP!"
Majinn Buu arc: "A new new new threat to destroy earth! And, you guessed it, he's stronger and therefore a larger threat than all 3 of the Saiyans, Freiza, and Cell!! :o"

Watching DBZ, it seriously felt like to me each arc was basically the same thing. The only difference was a new villain. The show is just sooo repetitive. Not to mention the stretched out power charging episodes where nothing happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the fans of this series. I know this post will come across as me looking like a hater, but I just simply don't see the hype revolving around DBZ.
FallingSn0wMay 9, 2015 10:49 AM
May 9, 2015 11:45 AM
May 2015
Roshi will kick ass.
May 9, 2015 9:19 PM

Mar 2014
This news saved anime
May 9, 2015 9:59 PM

Sep 2013
Fantasee said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the fans of this series. I know this post will come across as me looking like a hater, but I just simply don't see the hype revolving around DBZ.

Stronger enemies and action is a given for BATTLE SHONEN, this isn't a slice of life/moe series, take it for what it is.
Go criticize deathnote for having psychological themes.

And you must have missed the development for vegeta throughout all the arcs, as well as all the characters getting good characterization.
May 10, 2015 12:05 AM

Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:
Fantasee said:

Stronger enemies and action is a given for BATTLE SHONEN, this isn't a slice of life/moe series, take it for what it is.

And you must have missed the development for vegeta throughout all the arcs, as well as all the characters getting good characterization.

You're missing my point. I'm not criticizing DBZ for having gradually stronger enemies or action. That would be foolish.
All the villains (excluding Vegeta since he obviously becomes one of the MCs) pretty much have the same goal. Therefore, they aren't very unique. Nothing separates them. None of them really have reasons for doing what they do except for simply "being evil", which makes them feel extremely hollow and cliche. And imo none of them have outstanding personalities which makes it even worse.
Since the arcs revolve around those villains, it makes practically the entire show feel repetitive.

Eh. I guess most of the Z fighters did receive decent characterization and development. I didn't even mention anything about that in my post though, so I'm not sure why you're assuming I missed it.
May 10, 2015 2:00 AM

Jan 2015
Another Dragon Ball season.... ?? Hell NO!

Screamin' like a 50 years old hags to transform / level up / wth...... sense of logic....

I don't want to be rude or another annoying d*** but this why I dislike this anime(?!?) ...

Bth - One piece fan here....
KonteMay 10, 2015 2:07 AM
May 10, 2015 2:36 AM

Dec 2007
Fantasee said:
ichii_1 said:

You're missing my point. I'm not criticizing DBZ for having gradually stronger enemies or action. That would be foolish.
All the villains (excluding Vegeta since he obviously becomes one of the MCs) pretty much have the same goal. Therefore, they aren't very unique. Nothing separates them. None of them really have reasons for doing what they do except for simply "being evil", which makes them feel extremely hollow and cliche. And imo none of them have outstanding personalities which makes it even worse.
Since the arcs revolve around those villains, it makes practically the entire show feel repetitive.

Eh. I guess most of the Z fighters did receive decent characterization and development. I didn't even mention anything about that in my post though, so I'm not sure why you're assuming I missed it.

You have to be more specific than that. DBZ can feel repetitive, but each villain had different goals. Cell wanted to achieve perfection, then show his dominance over what he'd been programmed to believe were the most powerful life forms. Freiza wanted immortality so he could rule the galaxy forever. Vegeta wanted...well, immortality so he could one day get revenge for what Freiza had done. Buu was the only "evil to be evil" guy.

But no, most of the Z fighters had garbage development. The humans are the same MFs they were from the beginning. Piccolo changed. Vegeta changed (reluctantly). Gohan changed, some. Goku's largely the same.

I'm hoping Toriyama's learned from the guys who've done shonen since he last had a major epic, and can give us character development--or at least arcs centered around different people. And while we're at it, maybe make it so that other characters besides Goku or Vegeta can get some shine.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 10, 2015 5:07 AM

May 2012
SageShinigami said:

I mean, whatever helps you sleep at night. But YYH and HxH are stories. DBZ is Animated WWE. Which, like I said, I'm okay with. Among my friends I'm one of the few hyped for DB Super. But just because I like something doesn't mean I can't recognize flaws/weaknesses in writing.

More like animated WWF (Attitude Era)

Interesting comparison. It's probably why DBZ gives you that excitement and urge to keep watching no other anime can.
May 13, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2015
I looked around for 3 whole days making sure it was official when it was announced. I actually fell for it the first time when a new series was "confirmed" after Battle Of Gods.

Regardless to say I was ecstatic when it was confirmed official. Toriyama is also overseeing the series and has already given the plot so we won't have another GT (hopefully).

I'm also really happy we're getting it so soon and don't have to wait till 2017 or something.
May 13, 2015 4:45 PM

Aug 2013
Fantasee said:
SageShinigami said:
popularity does not equal quality.

I agree.

Honestly, I found DBZ to be -incredibly- monotonous.
It can be summed up like:
Frieza arc: "A new threat to destroy earth? And he's even a bigger threat than the Saiyans OMG"
"
Majinn Buu arc: "A new new new threat to destroy earth! And, you guessed it, he's stronger and therefore a larger threat than all 3 of the Saiyans, Freiza, and Cell!! :o"
Epic Fail ! In the Namek and Frieza sagas Frieza was not a threat to Earth. The Namek saga focused on getting the Dragon Balls to wish back the z fighters who died in the saiyan saga before Vegeta or Frieza got them and wished for immortality.

Majin Buu was a threat to the universe and other world not just earth.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
May 14, 2015 4:44 AM

Feb 2015
yay new and more dbz by toriyama
May 14, 2015 5:47 AM

May 2015
I wonder how it would be...

Dragonball Z Kai is not that good tho I didnt continue it after I've watched 12 episodes..

Still.. I hope this would be great remake
May 14, 2015 9:24 AM

Sep 2011
DVLJOE said:

Dragonball Z Kai is not that good tho I didnt continue it after I've watched 12 episodes..

It's not a remake. It's a whole new series taking place after the Buu saga. What didn't you like about Dragon Ball Kai out of curiosity. Because it's literally Dragon Ball Z minus all the filler, unless you didn't like Z to begin with which would make sense.

@DrGeroCreation He was technically threatening Earth once they fucked up his wish. Freeza literally said once he was done on Namek he was going straight to Earth. You are right about the rest though.
May 14, 2015 12:33 PM
Dec 2014
Zadion said:
holy fuck...

I mean, I'm excited, but... is this really a good idea? I feel as if the Dragon Ball style simply won't hold up now as it did back then. Don't most people nowadays only rate DBZ highly due to nostalgia? Can't say I've seen a single person who watched DBZ after already being fairly familiar with the anime medium and actually loved it.

I won't be watching this until it's dubbed anyway.

I've just started watching DBZ as well as watched some of the movies and I love it, I did play some of the games when I was younger but never remembered to much from them so DBZ is still pretty fresh to be and I'm enjoying it a lot.
May 14, 2015 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
I bet several years later Naruto's receiving the same treatment.
May 14, 2015 3:17 PM

Oct 2013
DVLJOE said:

Screw Kai and go with DBZ. YES it has filler but imo it ADDS to the story. At least for the most part anyway. Soundtrack is just SOOOO much better too. Better voice acting imo.

The original experience is the best. Then again. Thats how I seen it back in the 90's and times after that. If I saw Kai first then MAYBE I'd like that better.

If your watching the dub for kai then just watch DBZ. Its the best version. Dunno bout sub though. Soundtrack is old school. Not feeling it all too much but I'd sayu it sounds better than Kai. WAY better.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
May 15, 2015 7:31 AM

Aug 2013
Its going to be shit dragon ball z was pretty meh Gt was cancer most of the sequel movies suck fuck stop milking dragon ball already also original dragonball>z and gt
huh
May 15, 2015 7:39 AM

Nov 2014
yay new DB I hope they will add some ecchi stuff to it so it's more enjoyable, previous ones didn't have much fanservice ;/
May 15, 2015 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
DBZ has a better japanese dub, not to mention Kikuchi's soundtrack (fuck Funimation and Faulconer).

Kai has a better english dub and has way less filler.

Either or, but Z's filler is incredibly monotonous to sit through, hence why I generally prefer Kai.
May 15, 2015 6:15 PM
Aug 2014
Sweet new dbz series.

I hope that they put some effort into this.

Anyways, new dbz is awesome!
cameronatorMay 15, 2015 7:52 PM
May 16, 2015 8:34 AM

Jul 2014
Finally! been waiting for a new DB series!
May 16, 2015 9:50 AM

Mar 2008
This is great news, though I'll be waiting for FUNimation's Uncut English Dub.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
May 16, 2015 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
Uhh this is what i can't understand why comment on this if your not hyped or excited in the first place? Nobody cares if your not hyped.
I know im super hyped finally something to actually close the dragon ball franchise the right way unlike GT
May 17, 2015 6:39 AM

Feb 2015
I WANT...NO I NEED CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR GOHAN GODDAMNIT,TOO MUCH OF THAT PAN SHIT !!!
May 18, 2015 12:30 AM

Sep 2009
I've been keeping up with Kai as the new episodes come out. I am curious to see how this turns out. It could be bad or it could be good. We shall see.
May 19, 2015 6:57 PM
May 2015
DBZ was one of my favourite shows growing up so news of a Dragon Ball series definitely intrigues me.
Definitely going to have to dig out and re-watch my old Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z DVDs to get reacquainted. Nostalgia-fest here I come!
May 24, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2015
Finally,my childhood days will be reborn.
May 28, 2015 4:27 AM
May 2015
well, sometimes they come back ;) gonna watch it in autumn when there'll be already some episodes out
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.