Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 6, 2015 4:24 PM

Mar 2013
half the thing Flocka does is just yelling stuff. he's not a good rapper, I'll admit that.

however: Flockaveli was a very influential album. He and Lex Luger introduced a pretty unknown sound snd the trap genre to the mainstream audience with that album. just think about how Rick Ross changed his music to a more trap-ish sound (BMF, Can't hold me back) since Teflon Don, or how genres like drill music emerged from that. Lex Luger changed a huge part of the hiphop scene and community today through his beats and thanks to Waka Flocka even white suburban kids know who guys like Gucci Mane are. I know it sounds ridiculous af but he seriously had a key part in the whole trap movement of the past few years, with Lex Luger's production being the 'foundation' for it. now you could just completely deny this but luckily there are a whole lot of people who admit his influence on todays hiphop.
May 6, 2015 4:26 PM

Mar 2013
oh, and I don't see Nas or Kendrick doing this:

May 7, 2015 10:52 PM

Oct 2006
Fantasee said:
DarkStarr96 said:
Such a good album!

I'm a huge Lupe fanboy and always have been (so I'm biased), but I think he's the best lyricist in the game.

And yeah, it is. I like T&Y more than I do To Pimp A Butterfly, to be quite honest. I will acknowledge that TPAB is the "better" album, it's deeper and it says more than T&Y does. But just from an entertainment aspect I prefer T&Y.

Lyrically, Black Thought from The Roots is on his own planet. untouchable. Lupe is up there but right now i think shad is a close 2nd even more so than kendrick even though he pretty much unknown.

Jun 20, 2015 8:10 PM

Dec 2014
I just randomly found this thread...

Some philosophical or with essence are really good, have to admit.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Jun 20, 2015 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
Most of the rap/hip-hop I hear is garbage probably because it is mainstream shit. There is most likely some good stuff I haven't heard yet.
Jun 21, 2015 3:40 AM

Apr 2008
Nujabes is great, but then again most of his tracks isn't rap. Most of it is intrumental. But there is a few tracks that's rap of course.
You guys who like Nujabes should check out this guy Uyama Hiroto.

Eminem - Like Toy Soldier is nice too.

Jun 21, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2015
my only favorite rap artist is Epic Rap Battle of History on youtube
they're great and funny
Jun 21, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2015
Is this a joke?

There are thousands of rap records out there, about anything and borrowing from any musical genre.

What do you like about music? Maybe I can find rap that will be to your liking.

Also, there is nothing wrong with rap music that's meant to bump in the whip. Waka Flocka Flame and 50 Cent is pretty cool.

Most 'classic' boom bap stuff is boring. Early Roots, Black Moon, GZA, Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Mobb Deep - not very fun.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 24, 2015 4:32 AM

Aug 2013
I've always considered rap as the lyrical genius of music. Every now and then you'll just get mindblown of a certains rapper's talent of putting word and word together and somehow combining it to a terrific line. Rap is amazing - it can be outstanding in so many different levels.

However keep in mind the "rap" you see in radio is definitely not something you'd use as a example of rap music! :)

Here are some artists I like: Tech n9ne, Hopsin, Army of the Pharaohs, Jedi Mind Tricks, Rhyme Asylum and in terms of just instrumental rap: Nujabes and Gramatik!
thomaszJun 24, 2015 4:38 AM
wahey
Jun 24, 2015 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
Jun 24, 2015 6:28 AM

Jun 2014
Yes, rap really is that bad.

There's only one good rap song, and that's the opening theme from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Jun 24, 2015 5:32 PM

Apr 2015
Rap is the genre that I like the most, but I'm pretty old school though.
Dont Like the new ones that much.
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jun 27, 2015 12:30 AM

May 2015
I don't mind the genre too much, the image it seems to convey or be associated with is usually seen as bad... but in honesty, aren't there other genres that face that as well? Many may go out and about about how not classy "shawty got in the club" but we let slide by the raving sexuality rock music busts out like "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Welcome to the Jungle"?

Old school rap is pretty good, like Big Daddy Kane. I've also enjoyed Will Smith, Beastie Boys, Ja Rule and Missy Elliot. Eminem definitely has a lot to say, especially in "Rap God."
Jun 27, 2015 12:41 AM

Aug 2014
The only good rap song I've ever heard. Most of the hip hop songs I've heard are cancerous and make no sense.

Jun 27, 2015 2:45 PM

May 2015
MechaKiryu said:
The only good rap song I've ever heard. Most of the hip hop songs I've heard are cancerous and make no sense.

That's because rap lyrics tend to be very dense. Sometimes it's a bad thing, but sometimes you need to let it sink in. Check Nas' "N.Y. State of Mind". Listen to it a few times and soak in the lyrics.
Jun 27, 2015 4:14 PM

Aug 2013
Chaos-Connection said:
There is no bad music genres, only people who dont like it.
Jun 27, 2015 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
It's only good if it's music from Purse Ownah 3-4 or k-pop rap
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 27, 2015 4:35 PM

Aug 2014
I really like Korean Rap, not so much American... I guess it really depends on the style and format and lyrics?

Jun 27, 2015 4:57 PM

Mar 2013
TheExplorer said:
I really like Korean Rap, not so much American... I guess it really depends on the style and format and lyrics?

it G Ma, whoop
underwater squad
Jun 27, 2015 11:58 PM

Mar 2014
Hip Hop is the ultimate genre of music. You could probably mix it with any other genre of music.
Jun 28, 2015 12:01 AM

Jan 2013
Your an idiot @op and half the people in this thread.

A Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Logic, Gang Starr, Joey Badass, are rappers, not fucking Lil Wayne and all those other shit excuses for rappers.

I love rap, rhythmic poetry on a beat. It's powerful stuff, and if you listen to a lot of rap you'll be mesmerized by some of the poetry these guys are able to spit.
Jun 28, 2015 12:35 AM

Sep 2013
A quick and simple answer is YES.
Jun 30, 2015 11:18 PM

Aug 2014
Oh crap, I actually found a legit rap artist I like.

Jul 1, 2015 3:07 AM

Mar 2013
ibrahim2712 said:

A Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Logic, Gang Starr, Joey Badass, are rappers, not fucking Lil Wayne and all those other shit excuses for rappers.

I love rap, rhythmic poetry on a beat. It's powerful stuff, and if you listen to a lot of rap you'll be mesmerized by some of the poetry these guys are able to spit.

Tribe & Gang Starr ain't rappers and Lil Wayne was a good rapper up to Carter III, he fell off horribly since
Jul 1, 2015 4:19 AM

Jun 2015
Shimapan-chan said:
MC Cumblood, Vomit Massacre.

uhm
what
Jul 1, 2015 6:20 AM

Mar 2014
Poch said:
No, If anything Hip Hop is at strongest right now because of huge amount of variety. Long gone are the days of the shitty ringtone era.
Jul 1, 2015 9:11 PM

Jan 2013
Wonderbread said:
Poch said:
No, If anything Hip Hop is at strongest right now because of huge amount of variety. Long gone are the days of the shitty ringtone era.
Jul 2, 2015 5:48 AM
Jun 2013
Its gone down hill. The 90s was the golden age for it.
Jul 2, 2015 5:51 AM

Aug 2014
Well it depends on the content or what is the meaning of the song.but for me it's not bad.
Jul 3, 2015 12:04 AM

Mar 2011
Shimapan-chan said:
All that you listed are popular things, never good to judge a genre on the radio stuff.

There's lots of very good rap. I listen to tons of Japanese stuff like Chick Jr., まけいぬ☆ わんだぁ!, Tofubeats, ひだまり, ピヨピヨブラザーズ, and many more. I also like some non-Japanese stuff like MC Bushpig, MC Cumblood, Butchers Harem, Suicidal Rap Orgy, Black Kray, MC Magina, and Vomit Massacre.

I don't know why it's one of the typical genres to hate on.

Basically this. Also, I'm excited to check out those artists that you listed. Thanks a bunch!
Jul 3, 2015 12:12 AM

Jun 2015
Does shoving rusty scissors in your ears feel good?
Probably not
Unless u into bdsm
Jul 3, 2015 4:30 AM

Nov 2013
I don't like rap music. Rap music promotes crime in "youths", thinking being a gangster is cool.
Jul 3, 2015 10:04 AM

May 2014
I used to breakdance, and that comes with an eternal search of good hip-hop. First of all, I think there is a difference between rap and hip-hop. The difference is similar to a good poem vs. bathroom stall writings. There's also different kinds of genre within hip-hop itself. I tend to gravitate more towards the smoother hip-hop. Hip-hop also has good artists in Japan, my favorite being Nujabes who did the soundtrack of Samurai Champloo.

Here's a good example of an American and Japanese collab on hip-hop
[spoiler][spoiler]
Jul 3, 2015 6:55 PM

Dec 2013
If you think rap is bad, it's because you're listening to the wrong stuff most likely. People love to generalize rap as some kind of gagsta music about drugs and money 24/7 overlooking the Kendrick Lamars using music as a medium to make a difference in the world
JAW7Jul 3, 2015 7:07 PM
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 3, 2015 8:27 PM
Apr 2010
Too bad back in the 80's and 90's there were more rappers like Kendrick out in the open. I don't understand why I have to "search" for good music. Why can't people in the mainstream just decide to stop making shitty music? Now I'm not saying that there wasn't shitty music back then, but at least there was a decent balance between the good and bad. Now it's mostly bad.
Jul 3, 2015 10:08 PM
Jul 2018
99% of it, yes.
Jul 4, 2015 9:14 AM

Jun 2015
Rap is a hard genre for a lot of people to relate to and that's okay. I'm a big fan personally. I grew up poor in bad neighborhoods and grew up with that music. Glad to see all the typical choices of "white nerds favorite rapper" in this thread lol
Jul 4, 2015 10:59 AM
Feb 2014
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
Glad to see all the typical choices of "white nerds favorite rapper" in this thread lol

^

I'll admit my username is based on Lil B, but that's only because not only is his music unique, but it's something that really goes outside the box with what he does. Definitely is a bright spot with what we do have today regarding rap. I've been a fan of his well before everyone found him. Some of these guys in the 2010s aren't at all my cup of tea that everyone and their shitposting buddy loves.

In all honesty, most of my favorite rap acts were those of the late 1980s to the mid 2000s (and everywhere in between). It takes a few years after for the genre to completely take a turn. Look at how the Gangsta phase of the 1990s turned into the Crunk phase of the 2000s or something like that. I don't know my eras by heart, but my point stands that this genre is probably the most dynamic there is, so it's unique as it is.

Can't wait for the NWA movie though. That is what I grew up listening to as a kid.
Jul 4, 2015 11:46 AM

Jun 2015
TheBasedNico said:
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
Glad to see all the typical choices of "white nerds favorite rapper" in this thread lol

^

I'll admit my username is based on Lil B, but that's only because not only is his music unique, but it's something that really goes outside the box with what he does. Definitely is a bright spot with what we do have today regarding rap. I've been a fan of his well before everyone found him. Some of these guys in the 2010s aren't at all my cup of tea that everyone and their shitposting buddy loves.

In all honesty, most of my favorite rap acts were those of the late 1980s to the mid 2000s (and everywhere in between). It takes a few years after for the genre to completely take a turn. Look at how the Gangsta phase of the 1990s turned into the Crunk phase of the 2000s or something like that. I don't know my eras by heart, but my point stands that this genre is probably the most dynamic there is, so it's unique as it is.

Can't wait for the NWA movie though. That is what I grew up listening to as a kid.
That's fine. The man made "tiny pants bitch" he can do no wrong in my eyes.
Jul 4, 2015 11:50 AM
Feb 2014
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
TheBasedNico said:

^

His fanbase also isn't literally averaging 15 years old and his guest lectures at colleges are some of the most awesome things I've ever seen.

Hate it when people lump him in with meme mongerers like Filthy Frank. Lil B is the type of guy who clearly wants to make people happy.

Anyways, which rap artists/groups are your favorites, curious to know.
Jul 4, 2015 11:56 AM

Jun 2015
TheBasedNico said:
xXxweedfiendxXx said:

His fanbase also isn't literally averaging 15 years old and his guest lectures at colleges are some of the most awesome things I've ever seen.

Hate it when people lump him in with meme mongerers like Filthy Frank. Lil B is the type of guy who clearly wants to make people happy.

three six mafia, lil ugly mane, spice 1, brotha lynch, tommy wright, project pat, missy elliot, lil kim, trina, lil wayne, gucci mane, migos, kanye, big daddy kane, danny brown, action bronson, eyedea, too $hort, slick rick, kool keith, beastie boys, gangstar, big l, kendrick lamar, spaceghostpurrp, gangsta boo, katie got bandz, scarface, geto boyz, nate dogg off the top of my head i haven't really been that into hip-hop as much lately except for houston/memphis stuff and ugly mane (always)
Jul 4, 2015 12:05 PM
Feb 2014
xXxweedfiendxXx said:
TheBasedNico said:

three six mafia, lil ugly mane, spice 1, brotha lynch, tommy wright, project pat, missy elliot, lil kim, trina, lil wayne, gucci mane, migos, kanye, big daddy kane, danny brown, action bronson, eyedea, too $hort, slick rick, kool keith, beastie boys, gangstar, big l, kendrick lamar, spaceghostpurrp, gangsta boo, katie got bandz, scarface, geto boyz, nate dogg off the top of my head i haven't really been that into hip-hop as much lately except for houston/memphis stuff and ugly mane (always)

Impressed with Too $hort and Nate Dogg. Houston stuff, like Lil Flip or Pimp C? Memphis to me always seemed meh when it came to that scene save 8 Ball and MJG.
Jul 4, 2015 12:52 PM

Aug 2014
Fucking idiots still calling it "rap". HIP HOP
Jul 4, 2015 2:06 PM

Jun 2015
TheBasedNico said:
xXxweedfiendxXx said:

Impressed with Too $hort and Nate Dogg. Houston stuff, like Lil Flip or Pimp C? Memphis to me always seemed meh when it came to that scene save 8 Ball and MJG.
TheBasedNico said:
xXxweedfiendxXx said:

Pimp C is great but I usually just listen to DJ Screw and random chopped/screwed mixes, I'd have to check an old last.fm account of mine or something for artist names. I haven't been actively into hip-hop for a long time.
Jul 4, 2015 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
Rap isn't a genre for everyone =/

Jul 4, 2015 7:43 PM

Oct 2014
I'm such an elitist, I don't acknowledge its existence.
Jul 5, 2015 5:41 AM

May 2015
ibrahim2712 said:

A Tribe Called Quest?

Why recommend those women-hating losers when you can listen to Pete Rock & CL Smooth instead?

Phife is a douchebag and Q-Tip is as generic rapper as can be. Low End Theory should've been instrumental. Not even Eminem can compete with the hatred for women that's in "Butter".

Also, try recommending more musically adventurous artists - Public Enemy, Run-DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, Sadistik, Eyedea & Abilities, The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.
Jul 5, 2015 6:05 AM

Sep 2012
TheBasedNico said:
xXxweedfiendxXx said:

^

This music is better than many rappers 's whole career.

Jul 5, 2015 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
Rap's nice, but depends on the artist/song.. (for me)
Jul 5, 2015 7:26 AM

Aug 2013
v8 said:
Fucking idiots still calling it "rap". HIP HOP

I've just given up on correcting people.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
3 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
4 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.