Forum Settings
Forums

Why did music take such a downfall in the 90s?

New
Apr 22, 2015 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
Not trolling but seriously its weird how so many good artists and genres went downhill in the 90s and in their ashes we got inferior garbage.

All the thrash metal bands went commercial or lost their edge.
Industrial artists like Einsturzende Neubauten quit releasing mega classics and instead we got garbage like Nine Inch Nails.
Pop music went from being stuff like Tears for fears to shit like Britney Spears.

Also grunge and pop punk became popular in the 90s and I've no clue why.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 22, 2015 3:10 PM

Apr 2014
It is a matter of what people like to listen to. I mean, why did we go from jazz and blues in the 50s-60s to heavy metal and hard rock in the 70s-80s.

And btw, pop punk and grunge is IMO good music.
Apr 22, 2015 3:45 PM
Mar 2011
stuff lik thus makes be rejoice in the fact that japan is gereration behind muiscally spraking grunge music did not begin to tak of here till around 99 time Metal acts were still huge in Japan selling out the eg dome and alike i Japan

but there you go i hate most pop punk main stream needs a=band like dead Kennedys nd alike today and miinus any big indie band in Japan came and west in the 90's
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 22, 2015 4:00 PM

Jun 2013
I love punk, pop punk, punk rock, and grunge. So yeah, for me 90s was the best. I believe the downfall of music started in 2008, the emergence of Bieber.
Apr 22, 2015 4:00 PM
Oct 2014
Early 90's music is pretty good if you ask me. Rock, pop, electro made a downfall after the mid 90s, while rap, R'n'B became more popular (not a fan of the latter category).
This is about to change now this last years, however, we have seen a lot of creolizations recently, and more indie music.

Apr 22, 2015 4:02 PM

Nov 2011
Seikunai said:
I love punk, pop punk, punk rock, and grunge. So yeah, for me 90s was the best. I believe the downfall of music started in 2008, the emergence of Bieber.

Pop punk isn't that different from Bieber tbh.

-shotz said:
i personally love a lot of music from the 90s. then again i don't give a shit about thrash metal and i like nirvana.
Not as big on thrash as I used to be but Cobain was a hack.
Apr 22, 2015 4:07 PM
Mar 2011
Rarusu_ said:
Early 90's music is pretty good if you ask me. Rock, pop, electro made a downfall after the mid 90s, while rap, R'n'B became more popular (not a fan of the latter category).
This is about to change now this last years, however, we have seen a lot of creolizations recently, and more indie music.

alot of punk muisc for a reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLqEu4mUOU

like dylan in the eray ttimes you know but pop stuff is nopt alloed to say things
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 22, 2015 4:52 PM

Mar 2014
c'mon, the 90's brought us sludge metal. aswell as all the great japanese crust punk bands. and on top of that: sludgy crust! (or crusty sludge ;) )

4 of my top 5 favorite bands are from the 90's; Dystopia, Acid Bath, Skaven and Noothgrush
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 22, 2015 4:59 PM

Nov 2011
gizter13 said:
c'mon, the 90's brought us sludge metal. aswell as all the great japanese crust punk bands. and on top of that: sludgy crust! (or crusty sludge ;) )

4 of my top 5 favorite bands are from the 90's; Dystopia, Acid Bath, Skaven and Noothgrush

I know none of those 4 bands but who's the other?
Apr 22, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
gizter13 said:

Rudimentary Peni. quite sure you know them.

[spoiler]

M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 22, 2015 5:30 PM

Nov 2011
gizter13 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Rudimentary Peni. quite sure you know them.

[spoiler]

Can't watch video atm but will check those out. Lately though I've been into stuff like Einsturzende Neubauten and Coil.
Apr 22, 2015 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
-shotz said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Not as big on thrash as I used to be but Cobain was a hack.
nah, he wrote some good songs

A couple but he wasn't anything special. He wasn't very talented and I've cringed hearing about the little effort he put into his work.
Apr 22, 2015 5:47 PM

Feb 2014
90s was a brilliant decade for music.

We got brilliant releases from :

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

And that's just at the top of my head, a decade full of absolutely amazing music, you're crazy OP.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Apr 22, 2015 5:53 PM
Mar 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
-shotz said:
nah, he wrote some good songs

A couple but he wasn't anything special. He wasn't very talented and I've cringed hearing about the little effort he put into his work.

compere as a song writer to dylan lennon or lliber and stoller

Apr 22, 2015 6:08 PM
Mar 2011
retrogamer32x said:
FGAU1912 said:

Cobain stole a lot of his riffs from The Meat Puppets and Killing Joke if we're being honest. All bands steal, Nirvana stole from Killing Joke who stole from The Damned. Cobain did give those bands a lot of exposure they never would have gotten otherwhise, though. Example:
retrogamer32x said:
FGAU1912 said:

Cobain stole a lot of his riffs from The Meat Puppets and Killing Joke if we're being honest. All bands steal, Nirvana stole from Killing Joke who stole from The Damned. Cobain did give those bands a lot of exposure they never would have gotten otherwhise, though. Example:

no he point of my post i was talking song writing not in fact musicianship bur then again he was not that good at that either put him next to Malmsteen for exmaple there not on the same plane of skill

Apr 22, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2014
DarkStarr96 said:

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

Faith No More is the only good band there.
Apr 22, 2015 6:11 PM
Mar 2011
Altairius said:
DarkStarr96 said:

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

Dre was an left over form the 80's from the world class wrecking crew nd NWA e not 90's

tool are so so
B I G good bu over rated many were better

Apr 22, 2015 6:16 PM

Feb 2014
Altairius said:
DarkStarr96 said:

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

Lmao no
Apr 22, 2015 6:17 PM
Mar 2011
retrogamer32x said:
FGAU1912 said:

no he point of my post i was talking song writing not in fact musicianship bur then again he was not that good at that either put him next to Malmsteen for exmaple there not on the same plane of skill

I get you, but writing riffs is a skill - if you actually write them. When you said Dylan, I assumed you mean that he brought folk riffs to rock music when he went electric as well, before that you mostly had either really heavy country influence with white artists (rockabilly, pretty much the Les Paul line of descent going through Orbison, Buddy Holly, etc.) or you had blues influenced black artists (like Hendrix). Dylan was an innovator, whatever you say about him.

Dylan is was as lyricist / song wirter i was comparing him

but when it come ro prolific song writers out put alone woody Guthrie was biggest total of over 400 song and compositions and woody was not that old when he died either

Apr 22, 2015 6:17 PM

Feb 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Altairius said:

Dre was an left over form the 80's from the world class wrecking crew nd NWA e not 90's

tool are so so

The Chronic says hi.
Apr 22, 2015 6:26 PM

Nov 2011
DarkStarr96 said:

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

And that's just at the top of my head, a decade full of absolutely amazing music, you're crazy OP.

Most of those suck and lmao at Megadeth coming out in the 90s. They released three albums in the 80s.
Apr 22, 2015 6:28 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
DarkStarr96 said:

Faith no more
Deftones
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Emperor
Tool
Dr Dre
Megadeth
Burzum
A Tribe Called Quest
B.I.G
Nightwish
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
Body Count
The Offspring
Wu-Tang Clan
Nirvana

Most of those suck and lmao at Megadeth coming out in the 90s. They released three albums in the 80s.

They also released Rust In Peace in 1990.
Apr 22, 2015 6:33 PM
Mar 2011
DarkStarr96 said:
FGAU1912 said:

tool are so so

The Chronic says hi.

when twas his fisr expsosure it was in eother WCWC or NWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd50N9AqpI4

Apr 22, 2015 6:34 PM

Nov 2011
DarkStarr96 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

So? That's barely into the 90s at all. Its not like things made an immediate change going from 1989 to 1990. Most thrash bands though quit releasing good material between 1990 and 1992.
Apr 22, 2015 6:36 PM

Apr 2015
> R and B's fault..
> Raps
> Drugs
> Sex theme
#CHEXIT
Apr 22, 2015 6:37 PM
Mar 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
DarkStarr96 said:

So? That's barely into the 90s at all. Its not like things made an immediate change going from 1989 to 1990. Most thrash bands though quit releasing good material between 1990 and 1992.

Japanese thrsth was justing taking off in the very late 80's

Apr 22, 2015 6:39 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
DarkStarr96 said:

Between 1990 and 1992 still includes 1990 lmao..

Besides, you didn't state any specific years in OP.

The whole thread is pretty stupid though, I mean, you PERSONALLY don't like certain music / genres in the 90s, so that means music went downhill? k m8 gg
Apr 22, 2015 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest, the elitism from the "true 90's kids" is enough to turn me off from a lot of stuff from the 90's, including music. I'm a 90's kid too but I'm going to have to agree that a lot of 90's music did actually suck pretty hard. Some of it was great but not the garbage like Limp Bizkit, Crazy Town, pretty much all of the boy bands and girl groups from that time, Vanilla Ice etc. Most of the 90's music people ramble about/pretend to like now are bands that no one actually cared about in the 90's, whereas all of the stuff I just mentioned was pretty much everywhere and therefore unavoidable.
Apr 22, 2015 6:40 PM

Sep 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
Seikunai said:

Pop punk isn't that different from Bieber tbh.

they sound nothing alike, hell if anything pop punk as of recent has grown to be a hell of alot more aggressive

not to mention we live ina era where almost eveyr genre of past is still alive in some way, 90's especially has a shit ton of bands that sound identical to stuff released then and alot of it quite good, hell a majority of run for cover records sounds like this

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 22, 2015 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
^ +2 cool points for mentioning The Wonder Years and Polar Bear Club, great stuff
Apr 22, 2015 6:45 PM

Sep 2011
PureBlueSF said:
^ +2 cool points for mentioning The Wonder Years and Polar Bear Club, great stuff
wonder years just finished up a new album this week, so hyped, though i will admit i prefer suburbia to the greatest generation even though i will say greatest generation has the best lyrics of the band thus far, passing through a screen door's final aprts give me goosebumps where he wonder sif he fucked up somewhere when he sees people he grew up with with families and hes all alone

polar bear club im less hyped about their future after jimmy lost his voice, but they wrote the new album with his older growls intended and he just lost it hence why i think some of it sounds off(still a pretty decent album though) but i think if they write the new album around the different tone it'll work out better. still think so i buy is one of their best songs but i do wish i could hear it with his older gruffy voice

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 22, 2015 6:47 PM

Feb 2014
PureBlueSF said:
To be honest, the elitism from the "true 90's kids" is enough to turn me off from a lot of stuff from the 90's, including music. I'm a 90's kid too but I'm going to have to agree that a lot of 90's music did actually suck pretty hard. Some of it was great but not the garbage like Limp Bizkit, Crazy Town, pretty much all of the boy bands and girl groups from that time, Vanilla Ice etc. Most of the 90's music people ramble about/pretend to like now are bands that no one actually cared about in the 90's, whereas all of the stuff I just mentioned was pretty much everywhere and therefore unavoidable.

Bad examples there, Bizkit didn't hit their peak until around 2003 and Crazy Town were a 1 hit wonder (which every decade is full of), there were a lot of boy / girl bands which are always bad, but like EVERY decade, there's good and bad music, so I don't think it really matters at all.
Apr 22, 2015 6:53 PM

Oct 2012
It didn't, Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane over the Sea released in '98.
Apr 22, 2015 6:54 PM

Feb 2014
retrogamer32x said:
PureBlueSF said:

Every decade has bad stuff, but the dominant genres tend to change, which is where you can make the case that one era suits you better. If you're a fan of rock music - as in not alternative, but more country or blues influenced, traditional rock - the 90's were not so great. I mostly listen to metal and rockabilly, so I'm generally bigger on the 80's and now this recent resurgence of appreciation for classic metal acts plus new metal bands. But, if you're mostly into rap or alternative, I get why you'd like the 90's a lot.

You're probably the most logical person on this entire forum, I respect that.
Apr 22, 2015 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
DarkStarr96 said:

Bad examples there, Bizkit didn't hit their peak until around 2003 and Crazy Town were a 1 hit wonder (which every decade is full of), there were a lot of boy / girl bands which are always bad, but like EVERY decade, there's good and bad music, so I don't think it really matters at all.

I do remember Bizkit being pretty popular towards the later part of the 90's, I could be wrong there. Fair point on Crazy Town, I don't know why I used them as an example. I've just never been crazy about most 90's music. I actually find myself listening to stuff made after 2000 a lot more.

NotJizzyHitler said:
wonder years just finished up a new album this week, so hyped, though i will admit i prefer suburbia to the greatest generation even though i will say greatest generation has the best lyrics of the band thus far, passing through a screen door's final aprts give me goosebumps where he wonder sif he fucked up somewhere when he sees people he grew up with with families and hes all alone

polar bear club im less hyped about their future after jimmy lost his voice, but they wrote the new album with his older growls intended and he just lost it hence why i think some of it sounds off(still a pretty decent album though) but i think if they write the new album around the different tone it'll work out better. still think so i buy is one of their best songs but i do wish i could hear it with his older gruffy voice

TWY has always been consistent so I'm not worried about them dropping a bad album. As far as Polar Bear Club goes, the newest one took a while to grow on me but I like it just as much as everything else they put out. I actually didn't even really know about them until I saw them opening for Taking Back Sunday in late 2013.
Apr 22, 2015 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
Feaor said:
no
Apr 22, 2015 6:57 PM

Oct 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Feaor said:
no
Hey we can't all have good taste ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 22, 2015 6:57 PM

Apr 2014
ABBA >>>> Neutral Milk Hotel
Apr 22, 2015 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Feaor said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
no
Hey we can't all have good taste ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You can if you really want to.
Apr 22, 2015 6:58 PM

Oct 2012
Altairius said:
Hell fucking no, ABBA is awful plus that's comparing apples to oranges.
Apr 22, 2015 6:59 PM

Nov 2011
retrogamer32x said:
PureBlueSF said:

Every decade has bad stuff, but the dominant genres tend to change, which is where you can make the case that one era suits you better. If you're a fan of rock music - as in not alternative, but more country or blues influenced, traditional rock - the 90's were not so great. I mostly listen to metal and rockabilly, so I'm generally bigger on the 80's and now this recent resurgence of appreciation for classic metal acts plus new metal bands. But, if you're mostly into rap or alternative, I get why you'd like the 90's a lot.

My i issue is the dominant genres of the 90s were lacking in the creativity of the 80s.
Apr 22, 2015 7:00 PM

Nov 2011
Feaor said:
Altairius said:

ABBA is awful but Neutral Milk Hotel isn't?
Apr 22, 2015 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
retrogamer32x said:

My music taste is a bit all over the place though I guess you could say I'm more into alternative. Even then, there isn't a lot of stuff from the 90's that I consider memorable. I do agree with your mindset, though. Every era has its good and bad stuff.
Apr 22, 2015 7:01 PM

Feb 2014
PureBlueSF said:
DarkStarr96 said:

I do remember Bizkit being pretty popular towards the later part of the 90's, I could be wrong there. Fair point on Crazy Town, I don't know why I used them as an example. I've just never been crazy about most 90's music. I actually find myself listening to stuff made after 2000 a lot more.

NotJizzyHitler said:

TWY has always been consistent so I'm not worried about them dropping a bad album. As far as Polar Bear Club goes, the newest one took a while to grow on me but I like it just as much as everything else they put out. I actually didn't even really know about them until I saw them opening for Taking Back Sunday in late 2013.

They definitely were big at the end of the decade but they became massive by 2002-2003.

That's fair, but I personally listen to music from any decade as long as it sounds good to me, although I can understand if bands like Bizkit and all the boy bands have put a bad taste in your mouth lmao
Apr 22, 2015 7:03 PM

Oct 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Yea IAOS is an absolute masterpiece and by far my favorite album of all time. Also I have no idea why you have such a vendetta against 90's music, did it kick your dog or something?
Apr 22, 2015 7:03 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Feaor said:

ABBA are brilliant.
Apr 22, 2015 7:04 PM

Sep 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
retrogamer32x said:

My i issue is the dominant genres of the 90s were lacking in the creativity of the 80s.
the 80's were fucking horrible if were talking about dominant genres, it may be the worst of the past 4 decades and saw a huge rise to power of terrible synthetic pop bullshit with cheesy vocals and also saw birth to the terrible repetitions we often see today in pop, hair spray music has some of the single least creative style in the entirety of music and that shit dominated the charts in the late 80's

honestly one of the few things im grateful to the 80's for music wise was the birth of hardcore punk which was an extremely underground movement

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Apr 22, 2015 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
DarkStarr96 said:

That's fair, but I personally listen to music from any decade as long as it sounds good to me, although I can understand if bands like Bizkit and all the boy bands have put a bad taste in your mouth lmao

I'm the same way, it's not like I'm all NO, NO 90'S MUSIC AT ALL, BAD BAD BAD! The release dates of things doesn't have any effect on my opinion of it. It's just that the number of bands and artists from the 90's I didn't/don't care for seems to outnumber the ones I really like.
Apr 22, 2015 7:06 PM

Feb 2014
Feaor said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Yea IAOS is an absolute masterpiece and by far my favorite album of all time. Also I have no idea why you have such a vendetta against 90's music, did it kick your dog or something?

I've heard very mixed things about NMH, critics praise or at least "praised" them massively but a lot of people seem to despise them, maybe I should give them a listen tomorrow..
Apr 22, 2015 7:09 PM

Feb 2014
PureBlueSF said:
DarkStarr96 said:

I'm the same way, it's not like I'm all NO, NO 90'S MUSIC AT ALL, BAD BAD BAD! The release dates of things doesn't have any effect on my opinion of it. It's just that the number of bands and artists from the 90's I didn't/don't care for seems to outnumber the ones I really like.

That's even more fair, I've noticed in recent years that a lot of boy / girl bands from the 90s have been reuniting... Eww
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7575 by juanlqr »»
1 hour ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Apr 23, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Apr 23, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.