Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2015
I don't know what place would be the best place for my question so I'll leave it here.

So I just finished watching Fate/Zero and I don't really know what to watch next. I've heard people saying that the original adaptation of Fate/Stay Night is not that good so should I just go to "Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue" and then continue with the actual series? There are also the two movies which are apparently adaptations of the 2nd and 3rd route of Fate/Stay Night. I don't really understand what these different routes even mean so I'd appreciate some sort of explanation.
Apr 20, 2015 5:02 PM

May 2014
Yeah, Just watch UBW prologue then TV 2014.

The UBW movie is a bad recap and the old TV series goes full retard.

Although the UBW route has the least to do with the 4th war so don't expect a lot of your questions to be answered till the Heavens Feel movies afterward.
Apr 20, 2015 5:12 PM

Jan 2015
Alright, thanks for the answer!

So if I understood correctly, there are going to be many Heavens Feel movies and they will take place after the UBW tv series?

Also, I don't really need answers for my questions anymore because I looked up some explanations of the ending. It all makes sense now.
Apr 20, 2015 6:18 PM

May 2014
Nah UBW and HF start at the same time, they both branch off the Prologue. Although the events of HF play out very differently to UBW, you still need to have seen UBW first.

There's one more called "Fate" that arguably should have come first but you'll just have to live with some asspulls and random characterisation in UBW. Unless you want to read he VN.
Apr 21, 2015 10:54 PM

Jul 2007
Also technically you DID spoil everything for yourself by watching zero first.
It will still be somewhat interesting, as long as you understand that FSN expects you to know nothing from Zero and treats most of it's events as mystery.
Apr 22, 2015 6:48 AM
Oct 2012
Zemroid said:
So if I understood correctly, there are going to be many Heavens Feel movies and they will take place after the UBW tv series?

The Fate/stay Night game consists of 3 different routes: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel. They're entirely separate continuities branching off from the same core premise and incorporating the same set of characters, and Fate/Zero is technically a prequel to all 3 routes. The current TV series adapts the UBW route, and the Heaven's Feel movie (which seems to be only a single film for the moment) adapts another route with no real connection to either of the two shows.
Apr 26, 2015 5:20 AM

Jan 2015
smileyboyrocks said:
Zemroid said:

The Fate/stay Night game consists of 3 different routes: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel. They're entirely separate continuities branching off from the same core premise and incorporating the same set of characters, and Fate/Zero is technically a prequel to all 3 routes. The current TV series adapts the UBW route, and the Heaven's Feel movie (which seems to be only a single film for the moment) adapts another route with no real connection to either of the two shows.
Ohh now I understand. So is there or is there going to be any anime content of the Fate route?
Apr 26, 2015 5:22 AM

Aug 2014
There was in an earlier adaptation but it is a huge dip in quality compared to zero. UBW and HF are by the same animation studio ufotable so it looks really pretty. Kara no kyoukai still is the best (in terms of looks and story) ufotable work imo.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 26, 2015 5:26 AM

Jan 2015
CookingPriest said:
It will still be somewhat interesting, as long as you understand that FSN expects you to know nothing from Zero and treats most of it's events as mystery.
I don't like the idea that I should watch the prequel after FSN. I like to watch these in chronological order.
How did I spoil everything? I have no idea what's going to happen in UBW. The only thing that I know is some characters' backstories like Rin, Saber etc.
Apr 26, 2015 5:26 AM

Jun 2014
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue ---> Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

=)
Apr 26, 2015 5:27 AM

Aug 2014
You didn't really spoil UBW but you did spoil HF. Don't worry I watched zero first too and it was quite good for the first two routes but man did I regret it when HF came around. Sakura is the heroine of HF and for 2/3rd of the game you think she is just a normal girl with family issues...

Apr 26, 2015 5:28 AM

Mar 2015
Zemroid said:
CookingPriest said:
I don't like the idea that I should watch the prequel after FSN. I like to watch these in chronological order.
How did I spoil everything? I have no idea what's going to happen in UBW. The only thing that I know is some characters' backstories like Rin, Saber etc.

A lot of major reveals, such as with Sakura, are in Zero. Zero was meant to fill in gaps after Stay Night.
Apr 26, 2015 5:30 AM

Feb 2015
Zemroid said:
CookingPriest said:

You spoiled some of the UBW and alot of HF twists.
Apr 26, 2015 5:30 AM

Aug 2014
The main problem with going ufo only is that foreshadowing with gil and saber doesn't pay off at all! I hope there is at least a saber vs gil skirmish in this adaptation.

Apr 26, 2015 5:36 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah I guess I spoiled some stuff when it comes to Sakura. Well it's not a big deal.
Apr 26, 2015 5:38 AM

Aug 2014
Along with the true nature of the grail and the 4th war. The role kiritsugu and kirei had to play. Ilya being related to shirou is a reveal at the end. Also kirei killing rin's father.

Apr 26, 2015 5:38 AM

May 2014
Zemroid said:
Yeah I guess I spoiled some stuff when it comes to Sakura. Well it's not a big deal.

Apart from Sakura, You'll probably forget about the rest of it by the time HF comes around. Most of the actually really dumb spoiling comes from some quick one-liners in the first Episode.

Also the fact that Kiritsugu was actually an orrible cunt.

Edit* and whatever black just said.
Apr 26, 2015 5:44 AM
Apr 2015
Watch F/SN UBW its currently airing

But don't expect anything like F/Z you will be disappointed (like I was)
Apr 26, 2015 5:46 AM

Aug 2014
Fate/zero 2 doesn't exist and it never will. Zero was a more "mature" spin on stay night not that stay night is an immature version of zero.

Apr 26, 2015 6:06 AM

Jan 2015
UBW is pretty good but not nearly as good as Zero. The fact that it was more mature is one of the reasons why I liked it so much. For example, in Zero there is only one master who is a kid and he wasn't the main protagonist but in UBW there's Rin, Shirou and Shinji who are all kids. I like Rin and Shirou but the fact that they are kids takes away from the seriousness of the show. In my opinion at least.
Apr 26, 2015 6:32 AM
Apr 2015
Zemroid said:
UBW is pretty good but not nearly as good as Zero. The fact that it was more mature is one of the reasons why I liked it so much. For example, in Zero there is only one master who is a kid and he wasn't the main protagonist but in UBW there's Rin, Shirou and Shinji who are all kids. I like Rin and Shirou but the fact that they are kids takes away from the seriousness of the show. In my opinion at least.

I don't think thats the worst part, you can have kids but still be mature

Its just that the writing, the style/atmosphere is way too different from F/Z

Instead of a battle royale we have only Shirou's viewpoint, we have highschool, romance, Shounen dialogue (compare the Servants talking about different ideologies and how a king should be or Kirei and Gilgamesh's talks in F/Z with the dialogue now, its way too simplistic) etc.

And UBW also can't stand on its own (I have never read the VN but apparently its only one of three routes) so as a result the story feels half complete

After F/Z one expected a proper follow up but instead great characters like Kirei are shafted in favor of boring one dimensional characters like Caster and Kuzuki

Its probably because F/Z came after it but its still a damm shame
UBW is still enjoyable but nowhere near the level of F/Z (for me)
NOFUCOApr 26, 2015 6:42 AM
Apr 26, 2015 9:27 AM

Jul 2007
Zemroid said:

To be exactl, you spoiled every single thing except for FSN Archer's identity.

Zemroid said:

One of many things why watching Zero first is bad idea.

Fate is not about "death game" or some "mature battle royale". Fate is Shirou's story about Shirou. His ideology, his mentality and psychological issues, etc.

Zero is the story of bunch of immature tunnel vision idiots destroying themselves because they were unable to break out of their close minded goals.

FanEu said:

And UBW also can't stand on its own (I have never read the VN but apparently its only one of three routes) so as a result the story feels half complete

After F/Z one expected a proper follow up but instead great characters like Kirei are shafted in favor of boring one dimensional characters like Caster and Kuzuki

Fate Franchise is not about death game. It is about Shirou.

Zero also cant stand on its own. It is a bonus material for a reason. Zero does not have any real "ideologies" either because the point of it is to explore the "bonus parts" for the ideologies explored in FSN.

Because Zero plot puppet characters beyond Kirei and Kerry were sooooo complex, amirite?
AhenshihaelApr 26, 2015 9:31 AM
Apr 26, 2015 9:33 AM

May 2014
FanEu said:
Instead of a battle royale we have only Shirou's viewpoint

I wish lol, It would be so much better.

Also Kirei comes back for the next route, he gets fucked up as badly as Rider does in this one. 5th holy Grail war pulls no punches, anyone can die whenever.
Apr 26, 2015 5:14 PM

Sep 2013
Zemroid said:
I fail to see how the age affects the seriousness of the show. Adults who act like teenagers are so much better, right?
Apr 27, 2015 4:42 AM
Jun 2014
CapsuleCore said:
Zemroid said:
I fail to see how the age affects the seriousness of the show. Adults who act like teenagers are so much better, right?

Smoking and using guns are obvious signs of maturity, you didn't know?

dont_ask_me_idkApr 27, 2015 4:59 AM
Apr 28, 2015 4:02 PM
Apr 2015
CapsuleCore said:
Zemroid said:

age doesn't affect the seriousness of the show I agree
but sadly the tone is a lot lighter in UBW than in F/Z

Its way too happy to go especially since a freaking war is going on
Apr 28, 2015 8:32 PM

Apr 2014
Zemroid said:

No, you're correct. The F/Z masters actually being adults already puts it way ahead in terms of maturity. F/SN's masters are just immature kids who are still very inexperienced in life and don't really know what the hell they're doing. I understand they're still green, but it wouldn't be so hard to ask for them to deal with the war in a more serious manner. They waste so much time dealing with things that don't pertain to the war. Instead of going to school and putting everyone in danger or fooling around leisurely, they need to act more mature and do what the F/Z masters did: either remain safe in their base and create detailed strategies that their servants will carry out, or actually go out on the offensive and concentrate solely on killing the enemy. Kill or be killed. A battle royale isn't the time to fool around.
ZeroDragonApr 28, 2015 9:09 PM
Apr 29, 2015 12:07 AM

Sep 2013
FanEu said:
CapsuleCore said:

age doesn't affect the seriousness of the show I agree
but sadly the tone is a lot lighter in UBW than in F/Z

Its way too happy to go especially since a freaking war is going on

I think that has more to do with the POVs that are shown and how the story is approached. Since FSN is mostly about Shirou, you see most of the events happen from his perspective, which means you see more simple scenes, where the characters just live their normal life during the day. You see more Slice-of-Life scenes.

Most scenes that happen in FZ are in the night, and that is when the Grail War business gets serious. That is a part that is no different from FSN. Fuyuki City is mostly "normal" during the day, while the Grail War happens during the night. Take for example Rider and Waver. If we saw most scenes from their POV, we'd mostly only see them go shopping or play videogames/watch TV during daylight. Archer and Tokiomi would probably do nothing but drink wine, sleep, or specifically in Archer's case, wander around the city to explore the modern world, during the day.

I think this happy-go-lucky impression that you get is because FZ worked with an ensemble cast, while FSN has a definite main character with the story focused on him. There were main characters in FZ too (Kiritsugu and Kirei), but FZ also gave more insight about the other Servants and Masters in its limited time. This is also partially the case for FSN, despite being mostly narrated from Shirou's POV, but it's divided between the three existing routes of FSN, and UBW is only one out of three stories of FSN.

Anyway, FSN was never written with such a serious mood the whole time. FZ and FSN were written by two different authors, and ufotable has no intention to make UBW into a Fate/Zero 2. There might be some who will tell you that mood wise, the final story Heaven's Feel (HF) is closer to FZ in tone and everything, and that is partially true, but there are probably even more SoL scenes in HF than in UBW.

Well, UBW is on its 14th day out of 16 right now, so there won't be many opportunities for lighthearted scenes anymore. I hope you'll enjoy the next episodes, when shit hits the fan even more than it already has.
May 9, 2015 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
Im an anime only watcher with everything of Fate.

When people say, which Fate should I watch first, I always tell them to watch Zero last, to watch all the other Fate first, because thats the only way that you can enjoy the franchise.

I watched the first half of UBW in Fall 2014, which is the first time that I saw anything of Fate or anything related to Fate. I thought it was alright, and I was going to watch the second half, which is currently airing in Spring 2015.

But during Winter 2015, which I only watched one anime (second half of Aldnoah), I decided to watch Zero, to see what the hype is all about with Zero. After seeing Zero, I enjoyed it so much, specially the atmosphere and the characters, that I am not watching the second half of UBW nor am I going to watch HF nor anything related to Fate.

So from now on, when someone asks which Fate should I watch first, I just tell them to watch Zero and dont watch any other Fate.

In Zero, I liked all of the masters/servants combinations and their interactions. In Stay, I only like the Rin/Archer combination and their interactions. And in Stay, Rin and Archer barely have any interactions after episode 0.

Zero is an anime for all anime fans to enjoy. Stay is an anime for the source material fans to enjoy.
Aug 25, 2016 2:20 PM
Aug 2016
Its true what is after because it was a good anime

More topics from this board

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Apr 28, 2012

585 by goodwake »»
Mar 9, 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.