Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2015 5:25 PM

Jul 2014
And I mean, I am really surprised how badly some of the extremely popular shounen sit with me. Normally, when there’re so many fans, it is at least readable, but recently I’ve picked up several lauded series, and I just can’t.

I’ve tried to start Pandora Hearts a dozen times or so, but the art is not that good, chibi panels seem out of place, and the characters don’t start as original enough to warrant attention. I’ve read about bizarre prison in Deadman Wonderland, and the gothic world reminds about D.Grayman (and many other works). Fans say that it gets better around 50th chapter or so, but for all my wish to see the manga bloom, I can’t last for two chapters. And I really tried.

Then I started Owari no Seraph, but despite the prettiness, it just falls apart after the first chapter. The beginning is very strong, but then it quickly turns into a World Trigger with vampires. And again fans say that you should wait until chapter 20 or so, but isn’t it awfully long?

Couldn’t stand Tokyo ESP as well.

Though I like some newer stuff. Green Worldz or even Boku no Hero Academia are ok.

I understand that there’s the matter of taste, but I really can’t see how these works can be seen as good. Maybe I am too old or have read too many mangas (the latter is doubtful), but I can’t suspend my disbelief at how unrefined the material that everybody seems to love looks to me. And I dislike that I can’t enjoy some of the well-known and influential titles. Very unsatisfying. -__-

I dunno, I guess I just wanted to vent or to find a person with similar problem. Sorry to the offended fans, I guess.
Apr 19, 2015 5:27 PM

Nov 2010
deadoptimist said:
I understand that there’s the matter of taste, but I really can’t see how these works can be seen as good.
Then you don't actually understand there's the matter of taste.
Apr 19, 2015 5:33 PM

Jul 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
deadoptimist said:
I understand that there’s the matter of taste, but I really can’t see how these works can be seen as good.

But we talk about mainstream, that's the issue.

Also can't we be less one-track here? Of course, I'll live with it by assuming that there's something I haven't understood in these marvellous works of art. But as I've written as of now I have a hard time accepting that something, in which I see obvious flaws, gets universal 12/10. As many humans, I don't run solely on logic, and MAL forums are a good place to procrastinate and discuss.
Apr 19, 2015 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
deadoptimist said:

It's not really a matter of taste. Just because you like it does not make it good. I like Resident Evil but it's a poorly made game.
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 19, 2015 6:32 PM

Sep 2013
It's not a matter of taste, it's the matter of bias towards mainstream and shonen.
No matter how good it is you won't accept it anyways.
Sad really :'(
Apr 19, 2015 7:11 PM

Oct 2013
Well, you can't Like everything, right? That's all I can say.
Apr 19, 2015 7:39 PM

Aug 2009
I say 'go for what peaks your interest'. It looks to me that we actually share some shounen and seinen manga. So you're not a 'hater' of shounen. I can see why you may not like some of this stuff, because it might not be intense enough for you or down your realm of 'taste'.

I'd rather say, to each his own. A lot of manga doesn't even get picked up by me. Some stuff just isn't good. Even if thousands of people like something, I may hate it. Like me hating 'south park' for instance. Millions of people love it, but I can't even get through two episodes. Why waste time on stuff you don't like anyways? Why not spend time on stuff you do like?
Apr 19, 2015 7:42 PM

Apr 2014
You could try the Pandora Hearts anime and then go from there in the manga (it gives an alternate ending in the anime, so watch the anime ending and then start from just before then). It was a bit of a chore for me too at first but it's starting to intrigue me a little, and I've always liked certain elements of it.
Apr 19, 2015 9:30 PM
Jan 2014
i feel you a lot of shounen manga recently has been pretty week, although the premises themselves have been decent. I have a feeling Owari no Seraph will get rounded out by it's anime adaptation but I put it down after the few first chapters too. didn't really thinks of it as a shounen, though, bc of all the bishies lmao same with pandora hearts

i've had the same problem w/ hating a lot popular manga recently, esp when it comes to shoujo/shounen manga, so i feel you. some of the series are growing on me a bit, though, i think(like shokugeki no soma, the ecchi is a huge turn off for me but at least there's a kind of humor about it).
Apr 20, 2015 4:20 AM

Jul 2014
ichii_1 said:
It's not a matter of taste, it's the matter of bias towards mainstream and shonen.
No matter how good it is you won't accept it anyways.
Sad really :'(

Doesn't seem so, tbh. I read a lot of shounen, and usually I assume that something popular has its good sides...

dakotasapphire said:
I say 'go for what peaks your interest'. It looks to me that we actually share some shounen and seinen manga. So you're not a 'hater' of shounen. I can see why you may not like some of this stuff, because it might not be intense enough for you or down your realm of 'taste'.

Well, yeah, "intense" is a good way to put it. My patience for fluff is pretty low. Also I think that I can accept a weak ark in the middle much easier than a weak beginnig.

It's juat that when you see people discussing characters with much passion, and you, for some reason, can't get through the work, where these characters come from and without good reason, it's somewhat depressing.

Altairius said:
You could try the Pandora Hearts anime and then go from there in the manga (it gives an alternate ending in the anime, so watch the anime ending and then start from just before then). It was a bit of a chore for me too at first but it's starting to intrigue me a little, and I've always liked certain elements of it.

Thanks! Maybe I should try the anime out. Sometimes the unnecessary stuff cut out does wonders.

duckiwi said:
i feel you a lot of shounen manga recently has been pretty week, although the premises themselves have been decent. I have a feeling Owari no Seraph will get rounded out by it's anime adaptation but I put it down after the few first chapters too. didn't really thinks of it as a shounen, though, bc of all the bishies lmao same with pandora hearts

Well you're right here. Both PH and OnS seem to have BL baiting. I must say that I find these types of mangas the hardest to like - not because of the BL per se, but because of the characteristic rythm of the narrative. It's a bit hard to explain, but I recognise it very fast. It's something in the composition of the panels...
Apr 21, 2015 1:56 PM

Aug 2009
deadoptimist:
"Well, yeah, "intense" is a good way to put it. My patience for fluff is pretty low. Also I think that I can accept a weak ark in the middle much easier than a weak beginnig.

It's juat that when you see people discussing characters with much passion, and you, for some reason, can't get through the work, where these characters come from and without good reason, it's somewhat depressing."

I'd agree, weak beginnings are what kill mood. Don't be depressed, if its a waste of time, its a waste of time. You don't need to be a part of people discussing their favorite characters.
Apr 22, 2015 5:36 AM

Jul 2014
dakotasapphire said:
I'd agree, weak beginnings are what kill mood. Don't be depressed, if its a waste of time, its a waste of time. You don't need to be a part of people discussing their favorite characters.

Thanks! Yeah, I guess you can't read everything even in the genre that you like. At least I know I can't.
Apr 22, 2015 7:43 PM

Aug 2009
deadoptimist said:
dakotasapphire said:

Thanks! Yeah, I guess you can't read everything even in the genre that you like. At least I know I can't.

Lol! Yes! No one probably can.
Apr 23, 2015 2:35 AM

Jul 2014
dakotasapphire said:

Well, not the whole bunch, of course. >< I meant picking freely. For some reason, no matter what medium/genre I like, my preferences end up limited by my personal taste very strictly. Everybody likes and recommend me something, and yet, nope, I can't stand it at all, and get in arguments all the time (also can't get references). -_-'
Apr 23, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2015
Quite the opposite for me really, a lot of shounen manga really catch my attention during the beginning, and quality starts to drop from there.
Apr 23, 2015 8:59 PM

Aug 2009
deadoptimist said:
dakotasapphire said:

Well, not the whole bunch, of course. >< I meant picking freely. For some reason, no matter what medium/genre I like, my preferences end up limited by my personal taste very strictly. Everybody likes and recommend me something, and yet, nope, I can't stand it at all, and get in arguments all the time (also can't get references). -_-'

Unfortunately we're all limited to our tastes. >_o ahhh!
Well, what are your preferences?
Apr 24, 2015 4:19 AM

Jul 2014
Rouzhan said:
Quite the opposite for me really, a lot of shounen manga really catch my attention during the beginning, and quality starts to drop from there.

Yeah, happens too, though I can't remember when it was the last time I thought the beginning was very strong. Can rememeber all too well when an okeyish manga fell apart after several chapters though.

dakotasapphire said:

True. Though I often pick in interest in something that I never thought I would like, and it's not entirely comfortable, since you both don't mean to go any further in the genre or medium and can't talk about it with the people you normally talk to. Though it probably happens to everyone. I've had a few experiences like that lately, that's all.

Normally I like psychological stuff, especially darkish seinen, preferrably without excessive angst. Though I respect good adventure stories, so shounen is fine too. And lately I've been reading manga for female demographics out of interest. I don't like the usual stuff - echhi, harems, lilicon and shipping fuel. Other than that I decide individually.
But since I've read some amount of mangas, I've become tired of cliches and an author wasting my time.
Apr 24, 2015 4:29 AM

Jun 2011
deadoptimist said:
But since I've read some amount of mangas, I've become tired of cliches and an author wasting my time.
It's not an action series, but if you don't mind, read this manga called Omoide Emanon, I'd say it's fresh enough.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2015 5:13 AM

Jul 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
deadoptimist said:
It's not an action series, but if you don't mind, read this manga called Omoide Emanon, I'd say it's fresh enough.

Thank you! I think I've read it or I've started it at least (can't remember). I can't say that I am a big fan of ages spanning kind of stories, but I guess I should go back to it for another try/reread.
Damn, it's so sad that Kotonoha is inactive now. Their taste in manga was perfect.
Apr 24, 2015 1:49 PM

Aug 2009
deadoptimist said:
Rouzhan said:

Yeah, happens too, though I can't remember when it was the last time I thought the beginning was very strong. Can rememeber all too well when an okeyish manga fell apart after several chapters though.

dakotasapphire said:

True. Though I often pick in interest in something that I never thought I would like, and it's not entirely comfortable, since you both don't mean to go any further in the genre or medium and can't talk about it with the people you normally talk to. Though it probably happens to everyone. I've had a few experiences like that lately, that's all.

Normally I like psychological stuff, especially darkish seinen, preferrably without excessive angst. Though I respect good adventure stories, so shounen is fine too. And lately I've been reading manga for female demographics out of interest. I don't like the usual stuff - echhi, harems, lilicon and shipping fuel. Other than that I decide individually.

I'm totally into the same stuff. Shounen can be psychological (but rarely is). I'm a girl so I like shoujo and josei somewhat too.
Apr 25, 2015 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
dakotasapphire said:
I'm totally into the same stuff. Shounen can be psychological (but rarely is). I'm a girl so I like shoujo and josei somewhat too.

Whoa, then I am lucky - I gotta go check your list. ~_^

I think that good shounen usually has something for older audience as well - some characters, flashback stories, hints on deeper problems. The same way better stories for kids and teenagers can also open from another side for adults. Sadly, not all works get this far.
Apr 27, 2015 9:38 PM

Aug 2009
deadoptimist said:
dakotasapphire said:

Whoa, then I am lucky - I gotta go check your list. ~_^

I think that good shounen usually has something for older audience as well - some characters, flashback stories, hints on deeper problems. The same way better stories for kids and teenagers can also open from another side for adults. Sadly, not all works get this far.

I would definitely agree. And I haven't read a TON of manga unfortunately. Maybe a couple really long ones.
Apr 28, 2015 6:09 AM
Apr 2015
deadoptimist said:
And I mean, I am really surprised how badly some of the extremely popular shounen sit with me. Normally, when there’re so many fans, it is at least readable, but recently I’ve picked up several lauded series, and I just can’t.

I’ve tried to start Pandora Hearts a dozen times or so, but the art is not that good, chibi panels seem out of place, and the characters don’t start as original enough to warrant attention. I’ve read about bizarre prison in Deadman Wonderland, and the gothic world reminds about D.Grayman (and many other works). Fans say that it gets better around 50th chapter or so, but for all my wish to see the manga bloom, I can’t last for two chapters. And I really tried.

Then I started Owari no Seraph, but despite the prettiness, it just falls apart after the first chapter. The beginning is very strong, but then it quickly turns into a World Trigger with vampires. And again fans say that you should wait until chapter 20 or so, but isn’t it awfully long?

Couldn’t stand Tokyo ESP as well.

Though I like some newer stuff. Green Worldz or even Boku no Hero Academia are ok.

I understand that there’s the matter of taste, but I really can’t see how these works can be seen as good. Maybe I am too old or have read too many mangas (the latter is doubtful), but I can’t suspend my disbelief at how unrefined the material that everybody seems to love looks to me. And I dislike that I can’t enjoy some of the well-known and influential titles. Very unsatisfying. -__-

I dunno, I guess I just wanted to vent or to find a person with similar problem. Sorry to the offended fans, I guess.

Funny thing is the ones that you listed, I don't consider as popular shounen. To me popular shounen are mangas like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Toriko, AOT, DB, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, FMA, HxH. If you don't like almost all of them then you can say that you don't like popular shounen. The ones you listed are not really that popular. I never even tried them out.
Apr 28, 2015 8:55 AM

Jul 2014
Dragon88 said:
Funny thing is the ones that you listed, I don't consider as popular shounen. To me popular shounen are mangas like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Toriko, AOT, DB, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, FMA, HxH. If you don't like almost all of them then you can say that you don't like popular shounen. The ones you listed are not really that popular. I never even tried them out.

Well, of course there're the big three, and in general shounen is associated mostly with similar action stories. But on the other hand, Pandora Hearts has a ton of fans (just look at the review section) and it is definitely shounen.
Maybe these works are not defining the popular perception of the demographic, but I'd say that they are an important part. Btw, my emphasis was not on shounen in general, more on the popularity (big active fandoms) and the fact that the stories are aimed at teens.

As for my experience with shounen - I've read big chunks of Naruto, Bleach and FMA. I couldn't get into Kenshin, Fairy Tail or One Piece, though I tried reading them.The art of AOT is too bad for my taste. And I plan to get to reading HxH one day.
But I also read some 500 chapters of Inuyasha and I like Kekkaishi and Ao no Exorcist, which are pretty close to this type... It's not that I have prejudice against shounen.

But I've tried many titles, so I am also desperate in a sense, I guess.
deadoptimistApr 28, 2015 12:11 PM
Apr 28, 2015 11:50 AM

Oct 2013
Dragon88 said:

Funny thing is the ones that you listed, I don't consider as popular shounen. The ones you listed are not really that popular. I never even tried them out.

Just cos you haven't read them, doesn't mean they aren't popular, by that logic, none of what you listed is popular. I mean, I haven't read them, so how could they be?
Mitsu knows.

My Manga list
Apr 28, 2015 4:38 PM
Apr 2015
nomstuff said:
Dragon88 said:

Funny thing is the ones that you listed, I don't consider as popular shounen. The ones you listed are not really that popular. I never even tried them out.

Just cos you haven't read them, doesn't mean they aren't popular, by that logic, none of what you listed is popular. I mean, I haven't read them, so how could they be?

I didn't mean it like I didn't read so its not popular. The ones that he mentioned are not really that huge. The ones that I mentioned are really huge and its by sales not because someone liked them.

And there is difference between people in the forums and the actual sales. Lot of times certain things get popular in certain forums but they are not really that big in terms of general public which is why you look at sales. And the ones he mentioned are not really that popular at all. None of them are even in top 100 in terms of total sales. Some of them I never even heard of them.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
3 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
12 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.