Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2015 6:06 AM

Apr 2015
Star Ocean 5 is officially announced, it's been ages since the last title. The screenshots for the game looks alright, compared to other JRPGs on PS4 such as Omega Quintet, Senran Kagura and Type-0 HD, this one looks pretty nice. It's being developed for PS3, but ported to PS4 at the same time. What are your thoughts on this announcement?

(Look how moe she looks here :3)
MysteriousSoulApr 19, 2015 6:28 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 19, 2015 6:36 AM

Dec 2014
I think they need to draw a nose for the purple hair girl. She is missing one.

Overall, it is good, anime style with next generation 3d modeling.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 19, 2015 6:48 AM

Apr 2015
aLotQuestion said:
I think they need to draw a nose for the purple hair girl. She is missing one.

Overall, it is good, anime style with next generation 3d modeling.

Yeah, they probably have subsurface scattering on the materials for her face. They should at least edit the facial skin texture to give it a bit more definition.

Apart from graphics, apparently it's got real-time combat without any transitions, so looks like Square Enix (and Tri-Ace) are making the move to make their main franchises real-time. Which I'm honestly pleased about, we already have enough JRPGs with the standard battle systems we're used to.

Apr 19, 2015 9:12 AM

Apr 2011
VP3 please
Apr 19, 2015 9:34 AM

May 2010
There's some more information on the game on this thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1371784
Apr 19, 2015 10:20 AM

May 2014
Damn excited about this.
Apr 19, 2015 1:21 PM

Oct 2013
I like the look of it. Looks much more like an anime but in 3d. Sounds like a noob response but thats the best wy for me to decribe it lol

I guess I should finally get started on this series.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 19, 2015 5:32 PM

Feb 2013
I'm looking to get into the series. Anyone know what order I should start with?
Apr 19, 2015 6:46 PM

Apr 2015
Like Final Fantasy, they are their own separate stories so you can start anywhere really. This one is going to have a Star Ocean 3 vibe to it, so you can play that if you want, its a PS2 title.

Apr 19, 2015 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
MysteriousSoul said:
Like Final Fantasy, they are their own separate stories so you can start anywhere really.

Not quite like Final Fantasy, since all Star Ocean games belong to the same universe. Specially SO1 and 2, since they're closer to each other chronologically.
Apr 19, 2015 7:39 PM

May 2010
MysteriousSoul said:
Like Final Fantasy, they are their own separate stories so you can start anywhere really. This one is going to have a Star Ocean 3 vibe to it, so you can play that if you want, its a PS2 title.

SO3 was the best in my opinion, anyways. I think it's definitely a good starting point.
Apr 19, 2015 8:33 PM

Mar 2015
I'm so glad this is happening. I was worried the lukewarm response to SO4 had killed the franchise. Now that it's back though, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Tri-Ace evolves the franchise. Star Ocean has always had an amazing combat system, hopefully it continues to improve.
Apr 19, 2015 9:16 PM

May 2010
The series honestly doesn't impress me much.

The series doesn't, but Till The End of Time impressed me greatly. Besides the abominable voice acting of a great number of characters, it was perfect in so many ways. It was longer than your standard RPG, the items were very in depth and item creation was even more so. The plot also was not standard and blew me away (screw a game for trying to be different right? (to the haters)). It even utilized the sensitivity of the buttons in the game, which the only other PS2 game I know of that did that was Metal Gear Solid 3. The combat was great, and the skill system had been upgraded from previous titles. Trophies were something that hadn't really been done at the time, and you get rewarded with things like additional costumes for characters (some of which were better than the characters default appearance). The world was quite elaborate, and you spent a good deal and explored quite a bit of the main planet you were on. Pretty much the only thing that disappointed me about Star Ocean 3, my first game of the series, was that I didn't get to fly around in spaceships and shit, which I expected of a game titled Star Ocean.
Apr 20, 2015 12:41 AM

Apr 2015
KurokamiPhantom said:
I'm so glad this is happening. I was worried the lukewarm response to SO4 had killed the franchise. Now that it's back though, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Tri-Ace evolves the franchise. Star Ocean has always had an amazing combat system, hopefully it continues to improve.

Star Ocean 5 will have a non-traditional combat system for the series, the director said that you can switch between characters, and with it being real-time I hope it manages to still provide a somewhat challenging and rewarding experience that has seemed to dropped from a lot of games these days.

I don't know what Square Enix's involvement in the game is, they may just be publishing it, not sure.

Apr 20, 2015 12:43 AM

Aug 2013
Why are a lot of developers in Japan afraid of new graphics, looks 2008.
Apr 20, 2015 12:57 AM

Apr 2015
Spooky_Love said:
Why are a lot of developers in Japan afraid of new graphics, looks 2008.

The Japanese audience are used to that kind of treatment. Omega Quintet looks worse than most PS3 titles and its for PS4.

Either they love the nostalgia of the early 2000 era, or their programmers are so incompetent in optimization that they crash and burn systems using 512p textures. Also, the modelling looks really awful on the sleeves of the girls coat sleeves, they are so sharp because of the low-polys.

Apr 20, 2015 5:12 AM

Apr 2015
Also, another thing, would it really kill them to just do a quick turbo-smooth on a lot of the models for the PS4 version. -_- 5 mins of work and bang, the characters face and hair would be at an acceptable poly range.

Apr 20, 2015 9:16 AM

May 2010
Did you guys want Star Ocean Call of Duty edition or something?

The graphics are fine. It's Star Ocean. Instead of focusing on poly count they're probably figuring out all the different items you can make in item creation.

Also, maybe a bigger picture that wasn't taken directly out of a magazine will make you feel otherwise:

ThrashinuvaApr 20, 2015 6:21 PM
Apr 20, 2015 5:00 PM

Dec 2013
Looks very claymationish.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Apr 20, 2015 8:06 PM

Mar 2015
Tbh I think the character models look fine, but they kinda clash with the environment from an aesthetics standpoint (Which is an issue I felt SO4 had as well). It's not terrible, but it's an interesting design choice to say the least.
Apr 20, 2015 9:28 PM

Dec 2014
MysteriousSoul said:

Yeah, they probably have subsurface scattering on the materials for her face. They should at least edit the facial skin texture to give it a bit more definition.

LOL I come across this picture, not sure if it is fan edit or official edit

Apr 20, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
The characters' art-style clashes too much with the world, in my opinion.

I haven't played Star Ocean, so just using games I know for an example: It's like someone took the world of FF:XIV ARR and dropped characters from WoW into it. Two great styles of art, but put together don't go that well together.

I'll wait for more stuff to come out before judging it, but that's just how I feel about the art right now. Who knows though, maybe it's that look that will make the game something special.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 20, 2015 11:13 PM

May 2010
aLotQuestion said:
MysteriousSoul said:

LOL I come across this picture, not sure if it is fan edit or official edit

It's a fan edit. It should be obvious.

And it looks terrible. The people that did it think it looks better for some reason. I'm not trying to say realism is bad or anything, just that things that look bad look bad.
Apr 21, 2015 12:06 AM

Nov 2013
Game definitely looks pretty. Interested in it, been meaning to get around to SO4 forever now.
Apr 21, 2015 12:19 AM

Dec 2014
Valaskjalf said:
VP3 please

Valkyrie Profile: Hrist????

I hope they make it, it's been too long...

And Suikoden 6, Breath of Fire 6? (I hate bof:dragon quarter)
Apr 21, 2015 12:44 AM

Dec 2014
testamentKAISER said:
And Suikoden 6,

Ever since they make it 3D, it is like losing the originality of Suikoden.

I really don't hope it become another FF series' 2D - 3D combat gameplay.
Apr 22, 2015 12:29 PM

Dec 2014
aLotQuestion said:
testamentKAISER said:
And Suikoden 6,

Ever since they make it 3D, it is like losing the originality of Suikoden.

I really don't hope it become another FF series' 2D - 3D combat gameplay.

Yes... 3 and 4 did not feel like a Suikoden game, although the 108 stars is still there.
5 is ok i guess...
Apr 22, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2013
Still looks exactly like Star ocean 4 graphically, I'll pass on this just seems more of the same.
Apr 22, 2015 9:11 PM

May 2010
Spooky_Love said:
Still looks exactly like Star ocean 4 graphically, I'll pass on this just seems more of the same.

Hmm... you might be right...

(spoilered for page space since it isn't anything new. no actual spoilers)

Graphically they look similar, but I think I'm liking the art direction of SO5 much more. Though, I'm not entirely convinced SO5 won't be an upgrade graphically, either. Shadowing will probably see a dramatic increase, and characters faces will probably be much less doll-like.

Then again, it's not like graphics decide this game for me. I'd probably buy it if it looked like Star Ocean 3, if it promised that same level of content as SO3.
Apr 22, 2015 9:15 PM

Sep 2011
TheInnocentOne said:
Game definitely looks pretty. Interested in it, been meaning to get around to SO4 forever now.
4 is kind of shitty honestly, gameplay wise its fun as hell but its story is all sorts of cringe

im hyped for 5 though, though the derpy heroine i hope gets changes to look more normal, honestly i think they should of went for the realistic models or at least more realistic like this

at least the environments look a hell of alot better than star ocean 4

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 22, 2015 9:18 PM

Jan 2008
Spooky_Love said:

I'd say this looks more... uh.. anime-ish? If that makes sense. Been a while since I touched SO4 but I recall it feeling more Final Fantasy-esque graphical wise but with this one it doesn't, at least with me it doesn't. And the male main actually looks good color wise lol. Not a big fan of the female.
Apr 22, 2015 9:19 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah SO4's enviornments weren't my favorite but SO3 on the other hand!
Apr 22, 2015 9:21 PM

Sep 2011
Freestylex said:
star ocean 4 had some super cool looking areas, then they just throw you in some fucking ugly cave or alien ship corridor, there is so much missed potential with SO4 is kind of depressing to look at

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 22, 2015 9:21 PM

Aug 2013
Paul said:

I'd say this looks more... uh.. anime-ish?

Thats what I was thinking too it does look more anime which is a real turn off. At least the characters in 4 looked ok but these two she looks super annoying little sister moe type and he is far too baby face and feminine looking and whats wrong with his eyes?

I can imagine the cliche already.
Apr 22, 2015 9:23 PM

Jan 2008
NotJizzyHitler said:
Freestylex said:
star ocean 4 had some super cool looking areas, then they just throw you in some fucking ugly cave or alien ship corridor, there is so much missed potential with SO4 is kind of depressing to look at

Was it really disliked that much? I never played it til the Ps3 international version came out but when I did, I did enjoy it, not as much as SO3 but still enjoyed. Didn't keep track of discussion about it online and never finished it though since I got pissed off at getting the blue roses for the endings.

Spooky_Love said:
Paul said:

I'd say this looks more... uh.. anime-ish?

Thats what I was thinking too it does look more anime which is a real turn off. At least the characters in 4 looked ok but these two she looks super annoying little sister moe type and he is far too baby face and feminine looking and whats wrong with his eyes?

I can imagine the cliche already.

Different tastes for everyone. I already said it but I like the male mc's design but the girls eyes are just too big for my taste, at least with these graphics.
PaulApr 22, 2015 9:27 PM
Apr 22, 2015 9:24 PM

Sep 2011
Paul said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

Was it really disliked that much? I never played it til the Ps3 international version came out but when I did, I did enjoy it, not as much as SO3 but still enjoyed. Never finished it though since I got pissed off at getting the blue roses for the endings.
star ocean 4 is pretty heavilly hated by alot of people, terrible characters, disjointed storyline, lackluster areas despite traveling to a bunch of different planets, and just all around wasted potential

the only thing that makes it at least samewhat ok is the gameplay is solid

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Apr 22, 2015 9:26 PM

Jun 2011
NotJizzyHitler said:
Freestylex said:

At least you don't spend half the game in the same boring medieval environment like the third game. Being able to travel between planets often is enough to make 4 > 3 in my opinion. They're both pretty shitty games though.
Apr 22, 2015 9:27 PM

Aug 2013
I liked the alternate earth plot moment I felt they did really well and sure it made the MC a whiny ass afterwards but he had a reason and I felt it could have been a good study of stress on someone who has all that weight on their shoulders......but then i remembered it was a game full of anime cliches.
Apr 22, 2015 10:44 PM

Apr 2011
I've missed this series ever since I got completely destroyed by Ethereal Queen in Til The End of Time. Looking forward to more unique combat and over-the-top story from this series!
Apr 22, 2015 10:48 PM

Sep 2011
Narmy said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

At least you don't spend half the game in the same boring medieval environment like the third game. Being able to travel between planets often is enough to make 4 > 3 in my opinion. They're both pretty shitty games though.
who gives a shit if you explore other worlds if with everyone you just go into some shitty cave or corridor, star ocean 3 actually build out its world properly and made it so the places you go on that one planet are actually different than the last you were at, maybe if every level of SO4 was like roak then it'd be ok.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Apr 22, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2010
I liked both SO3 and SO4, SO4 did play quite few times through even after finishing with all endings.
Will be looking forward to new release of this series. With high hopes.
Try to avoid at all cost, i'm retarded in too many ways~ <3
Apr 22, 2015 10:51 PM

Jan 2015
Narmy said:

I mean you are in a medieval environment a lot but that's just one of the settings of the story... I guess you don't like medieval themes. =/

SO3 has what seems like to me, a ton more content and a better story. I also liked 4 but mainly because the battles were fun like all Star Ocean games. Either way I've played and beat all games in the series except Blue Sphere and can't wait for this game.
Apr 23, 2015 12:53 AM

May 2010
I mainly don't want area's like this to exist anymore:

I think this is what JZ refers to as ugly ship corridor. There are so many repeated things that are just completely ugly and make little sense. It's so glaringly shiny that it's easy to get lost or lose other objects in the textures of the very game, especially while moving. Everything looks the same, and it looks like the textures were designed at twice the scale of the current resolution, and then downscaled (I believe this is probably true for most of the textures of the game).

I don't know how to express everything I truly hate about this picture. All I can say is that it looks absolutely terrible. This is the worst part of the game for me because of the very scenery of the area, while I actually find the concept and story of the area to be pretty cool.
Apr 23, 2015 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
Thrashinuva said:

I thought i remembered the look somewhere:

she a god damned lalafell

Apr 23, 2015 8:25 AM

Mar 2013
looking good
time to finish "Last Hope" (hopefully before this 1 release).
Apr 23, 2015 3:30 PM
May 2011
im excited for this game. i never played a star ocean but might start
Apr 23, 2015 11:17 PM

Oct 2013
Thrashinuva said:
Did you guys want Star Ocean Call of Duty edition or something?

The graphics are fine. It's Star Ocean. Instead of focusing on poly count they're probably figuring out all the different items you can make in item creation.

Also, maybe a bigger picture that wasn't taken directly out of a magazine will make you feel otherwise:

looks gorgeous tbh. I do not understand the complaints about the "anime style."

Is this confirmed to be released on the PS3? 'cause I have no plans to buy a PS4 for a long ass time.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 23, 2015 11:19 PM

Dec 2014
@Zadion
They complaint because they think anime character style will NEVER fit in super realistic background.
Apr 24, 2015 12:18 AM

Apr 2015
Zadion said:

looks gorgeous tbh. I do not understand the complaints about the "anime style."

Is this confirmed to be released on the PS3? 'cause I have no plans to buy a PS4 for a long ass time.

Its going to be on PS3 and PS4. In fact, their main priority is PS3 development.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3509 by lcee_15 »»
53 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

15 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
5 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by rootje_43 »»
6 hours ago

» Whats a game you'd see yourself as an expert in? ( 1 2 3 )

Disapeared_Ghost - Jun 28, 2021

147 by rootje_43 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.