Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 18, 2015 1:49 PM

Apr 2015
Spoilers for ending of FMAB

First off I just wanna say, this alongside death note is my favorite anime of all time. So im clearly not a hater. This is just something I noticed and would like some clarification.

In the ending, Edward gives up his alchemy to bring back his brothers body, but .. couldnt he have just done that this whole time then? What was the whole point of searching for the philosophers stone for so long?

Or is it because he knew this was possible the whole time yet valued his alchemy more than his brothers body which is highly unlikely not just because of the character, but he seemed to have just thought about it being possible at the ending.

Or did he just learn about it sometime during the anime? Which is also unlikely considering no one ever mentioned sacrificing alchemy ..
Anime newcomer
Apr 18, 2015 2:36 PM
Dec 2014
ZoYd said:
Spoilers for ending of FMAB

First off I just wanna say, this alongside death note is my favorite anime of all time. So im clearly not a hater. This is just something I noticed and would like some clarification.

In the ending, Edward gives up his alchemy to bring back his brothers body, but .. couldnt he have just done that this whole time then? What was the whole point of searching for the philosophers stone for so long?

Or is it because he knew this was possible the whole time yet valued his alchemy more than his brothers body which is highly unlikely not just because of the character, but he seemed to have just thought about it being possible at the ending.

Or did he just learn about it sometime during the anime? Which is also unlikely considering no one ever mentioned sacrificing alchemy ..

well for one if he didn't have alchemy he'd be dead because of all the enemies and he wanted to save the world from the evil father guy and Al's body was pretty much just bone and would take months to get strong enough to fight again.
Apr 23, 2015 10:14 AM
Jul 2014
ZoYd said:
Or did he just learn about it sometime during the anime?

Actually, he did. Sacrificing alchemy has never been literally mentioned, but Ed made a conclusion based on informations he gathered during the show. At first, he wasn't even sure that Al's body still exists (it could possibly be destroyed) and had no idea it's present in this place in front of gate (do you remember how shocked he was when he saw it?). He didn't know what is a source of alchemy as well (I think this skill was to natural for him to actually ponder it ;). And I'm pretty much sure that one of antagonists - Bradley? - made a comment about it), so he didn't realize he can sacrifice it.

Also, it was a matter of life and death, so it's no wonder he did it only when he had no other choice ;). He couldn't be sure this trade's going to work and if it didn't, there could be no way to fix it.
RiririJul 16, 2015 1:10 PM
May 3, 2015 8:24 AM
Apr 2015
Also, that what Edward did was part of his character development. It shows how much he has grown because he realized that alchemy can't solve anything and that he doesn't need it (anymore) because he's got lots of people who are standing behind him and supporting him.
And like Stworzonko already said, he learned that this was possible only during the series, so yeah ^^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.