Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2008 11:16 AM

Feb 2008
Here you can request to add/remove anime/manga from our list. Remember, heterosexual only, and try to help make sure the list has stuff with good romance and less comedy in it.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2008 12:27 PM

Oct 2007
I demand you add ef ~ A Tale of Memories to the list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2008 12:34 PM

Feb 2008
Ahh man, you are right. I even watched that.

Feb 17, 2008 1:21 PM
Dec 2007
maybe Kanon (2006)
MikethyKingFeb 17, 2008 1:28 PM
Feb 17, 2008 1:34 PM

Feb 2008
Maybe I''S Pure. Not much of comedy, yet not many love-situations like we see on our club pictures. Still it's a really nice romance.
Feb 17, 2008 3:09 PM

Feb 2008
Okay, Countach.
MiketheKing: Okay, although I've seen an episode of Kanon (2002), but haven't seen its romantic side yet. Is there anything different in style between the two?

Really, guys, are you able to open topics in this club, or can only I, the admin do so?

Feb 17, 2008 3:32 PM

Feb 2008
amcsi said:
Okay, Countach.
Really, guys, are you able to open topics in this club, or can only I, the admin do so?

Everybody can.
Feb 17, 2008 6:00 PM
Dec 2007
amcsi said:
Okay, Countach.
MiketheKing: Okay, although I've seen an episode of Kanon (2002), but haven't seen its romantic side yet. Is there anything different in style between the two?

I have not seen Kanon 2002 but 2006 was supposed to be the better version and there is quite a few parts that would leave your heart racing
Feb 17, 2008 6:04 PM
Dec 2007
I loved Fate/Stay Night but it is a action/romance so i dont know if that fits on your list.
Feb 17, 2008 6:15 PM

Feb 2008
I guess it does have too much action and too less romantic parts. I even dislike that anime for ruining the feeling it gives in the first half. When its Visual Novel's translation project's complete, I want to try that out in case it is much better. It was worth playing the Tsukihime Visual Novel since we are talking about Type-Moon.
Not that my opinion on how good an anime is will change chances of adding an anime. Shingetsutan Tsukihime I added to the anime list, cuz that did have good romance in the anime even though the anime wasn't too good. Although I don't quite remember Fate/stay night, I faintly remember it having less romantic content. But correct me if I'm wrong.
amcsiFeb 17, 2008 6:18 PM

Feb 17, 2008 9:01 PM
Dec 2007
fate stay night was alright for romance it had the whole sad ending just like tsukihime though which is one of the main reasons i liked tsukihime
Feb 17, 2008 9:05 PM

Feb 2008
Okay, then let's have it^^

Feb 23, 2008 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
I really love Okusama wa Joshikousei. I don't know if Ginban Kaleidoscope would be eligible but I definitely cried for about 3 whole episodes due to the romance aspect of the story. And Ajimu Kaigan Monogatari--one of those series you don't know who to root for and there have to be some characters not quite completely happy at the end. Also To Heart ~Remember My Memories~
There's a lot I haven't seen all the way through yet, so I can't completely give my opinion yet.
There's a lot of series where the romance is understated to the point where the two characters only are just beginning to realize their feelings at the very end. Is that too little romance in the show?
Also Iriya no sora, UFO no natsu--romance is its strongest element (or maybe love is--is there a difference?)
animedreamerFeb 23, 2008 2:46 PM

Feb 23, 2008 3:06 PM

Jan 2008
This message is just for manga only...I'm just throwing most of these out for consideration since I haven't finished them (or they aren't finished publishing).
Absolute Boyfriend
Platinum Garden
Never Give Up
Hana-Kimi
Tenshi Ja Nai!
Hot Gimmick
Love Attack
Missile Happy
Cherry Juice

Those were all series published in English.
Then there are some of my favorites, which are mostly oneshots/short stories which are hard to find:
1/3 no Kareshi
After School Wedding
Secret Housemate
animedreamerFeb 24, 2008 5:39 AM

Feb 24, 2008 4:05 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, I'm happy I opened this club, so many anime I haven't watched yet, but is my type. I gotta try them all :) I mostly added what you wrote, animedreamer, since I haven't seen them, and probably you know better than I whether they look good on the list^^ about To Heart ~Remember my memories~: I added it, although I've seen To Heart 2, and it was completely unserious (if that's a word)

and characters beginning to realize their feelings at the end: that is pretty bad. The end is where they can put the final love drama scenes, but the feelings really shouldn't develop too late, cuz it's kinda stupid. In Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, for instance, which is 6 episodes, already around episode 2, every character knows what's developing between the main characters. Usually in shoujo romance anime, the character's feelings for another develop really soon, which is still good, but they really shouldn't make the characters look too stupid^^'
I also added True Tears to the list, because that's what I'm watching right now. It's a romance drama theoreically made from a Visual Novel, but technically it's standalone. 7 episodes (maybe 8 now, I'll go check) are out out of 12 (or 13?) and we can already see the drama parts. It's pretty good, I recommend it^^

Feb 24, 2008 5:58 AM

Jan 2008
I was pretty conservative in my choices so that I would stick to the guidelines you laid out. Pretty serious, romance established early and an important theme; I saw it all the way through. No cross-dressing but heterosexual romances (except Never Give Up for some reason--probably because it has such a shoujo feel to it and love is the motivation). No Adult videos (although I see you have one--I'd have to dig through the ones I've seen to pick out any suitable ones although some are pretty perverse/hard-core/etc.). I personally don't like my romance to be too tragic despite being a member of the club so if a description seems too depressing I tend not to watch it at all.
Anyway, To Heart (1) is mostly romance, mostly sweet, and only lightly comedic. I haven't seen (2).
I thought of a couple more: Asatte no Houkou--although a bit slow moving, and romance is not its only main theme (maybe not even the most important), I really liked it. Also True Love Story.
A couple I haven't seen or seen much of but I'm pretty sure they are romances:
Ai Yori Aoshi; I think Ah! My Goddess even though it's more shounen than shoujo; and one that I've only heard is a romance, but it is considered a classic one: Glass Mask: it has an old version and a new version, a manga and a sequel. I think Karin might also qualify but I would argue that the love triangle there is boy/girl/family; I think it is the strongest element in the series, although basically comedic.
animedreamerFeb 24, 2008 6:01 AM

Feb 24, 2008 7:58 AM

Feb 2008
Ai Yori Aoshi is also shounen. I haven't seen it, but I've seen an episode of it, but I didn't like it. Still, theoretically there are nice scenes in it, so for now, I'm adding it. Ah My Goddess I don't want to add, because it has too much comedy and... the plot was so simple I think. It was cute, but if you are looking for serious romance, you should watch something else. Karin is a really bad example, it's not serious at all. I'll add the others though.
Btw hentai is allowed om the list, if you find one that's in this category. And cross-dressing... well I guess we treat them as the sex they originally are. WThe main character of After School Nightmare is half boy and half girl, so I'm not sure what to allow and what not to allow.
amcsiFeb 24, 2008 8:02 AM

Feb 24, 2008 8:51 AM

Jan 2008
Oh, BTW, some of the anime relations also qualify as manga relations--shouldn't they be under both lists?

Feb 24, 2008 3:09 PM

Feb 2008
I guess you are right. I'll do it tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2008 4:33 PM

Jan 2008
I heard that Maison Ikkoku was a classic romance, but I haven't seen it myself.

Feb 26, 2008 12:07 AM

Oct 2007
Air
Shakugan no Shana <---- action, but has a lot of romance elements in it.
Feb 26, 2008 6:24 AM

Feb 2008
I'm afraid it doesn't have a lot of romance in it :(

Feb 27, 2008 10:28 PM

Nov 2007
What about Romeo x Juliet? That's romance. =DD
avatar made by akihito @ livejournal.com

Mar 2, 2008 4:31 AM

Jan 2008
I heard that Hana Yori Dango aka Boys Over Flowers is quite a love story. Both manga and anime.

Mar 8, 2008 9:43 PM

Jan 2008
I just completed the Pretear TV series, and although it seems like a pretty routine shoujo action story to start with, it really ends quite movingly with love being a big part of that. I definitely cried in the last episode. I recommend it.

I also just started watching Marmalade Boy--it's too soon to tell (76 eps!) but it looks promising.
animedreamerMar 8, 2008 9:47 PM

Mar 17, 2008 10:52 AM

Jan 2008
I just noticed that Trouble Love Attack! which you have listed under Manga Relations is not the correct manga. The correct one is Junai Tokkou Taichou which is also called Love Attack! (not Trouble). It looks like the first one is shounen ai.

Mar 17, 2008 10:54 AM

Jan 2008
I also just started reading High School Debut (Koukou Debut), which looks like a nice love story, but of course I haven't finished it :)

Mar 17, 2008 12:05 PM

Oct 2007
You should add Ai Yori Aoshi to the list o.o
That is definitely a Romance anime :D

Ai Yori Aoshi = True Blue Love
Mai Waifu~ Louise

I love her with all of my heart and soul~ <3
Mar 17, 2008 12:29 PM

Feb 2008
Are you sure? From what I heard, it didn't seem too serious.

Mar 17, 2008 12:56 PM

Jan 2008
I don't know about this particular title, but it looks like there's always gonna be some judgement calls when you look at the in-between area of serious and comic. Maybe eventually on some of these we'll come to a consensus, but I haven't seen enough of them to give an opinion on very many.

Mar 17, 2008 1:08 PM

Feb 2008
I do forgive not too serious romantic series IF it makes up for it with something good :)

Mar 17, 2008 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
Well first season of Ai Yori Aoshi has serious moments, so I guess we could add it. The second season is almost all comedy.
Mar 23, 2008 5:30 PM

Dec 2007
If you have Shuffle, you might as well add Love Hina. At least the manga (more serious), if not the anime. Both are still kind of heavy in the comedy, though.

That, and Karin is a good romance/comedy (unless you've only seen the anime, which is almost never serious). Ouran High School Host Club...'nother romance comedy (is there something wrong with those? It's hardly fair to take comedy out of the picture...it exists for a reason, you know).

I can make manga suggestions too, but I'm already starting to see that they'd probably just be comedies...
KirjathMar 23, 2008 5:53 PM

Such is life...
Mar 23, 2008 5:57 PM

Oct 2007
Kirjath said:
If you have Shuffle, you might as well add Love Hina. At least the manga (more serious), if not the anime. Both are still kind of heavy in the comedy, though.

That, and Karin is a good romance/comedy (unless you've only seen the anime, which is almost never serious). Ouran High School Host Club...'nother romance comedy (is there something wrong with those? It's hardly fair to take comedy out of the picture, when life itself is funny...)

I can make manga suggestions too, but I'm already starting to see that they'd probably just be comedies...

Sense I have seen Love Hina I'm gonna have to disagree with you, that anime barely has any serious romance in it. Its more of a Comedy/Harem/Ecchi. Not to mention its filled with filler episodes so I am gonna have to say absolutly not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2008 6:14 PM

Dec 2007
Kirjath said:
At least the manga (more serious), if not the anime.

Thank you for reading what I said. The anime is not serious. That's sinful for some reason, but oh well. And since when was Shuffle not ecchi/harem/comedy? It's in the tags.
KirjathMar 23, 2008 6:25 PM

Such is life...
Mar 23, 2008 6:33 PM

Oct 2007
Kirjath said:
Kirjath said:
At least the manga (more serious), if not the anime.

Thank you for reading what I said. The anime is not serious. That's sinful for some reason, but oh well. And since when was Shuffle not ecchi/harem/comedy? It's in the tags.

I would'nt know sense I hav'nt seen Shuffle yet.
Mar 24, 2008 11:07 PM

Apr 2007
Hey. I just recently joined, so I don't know if I should really be posting here right now, but yea. Anyways, I do think that Love Hina (THE MANGA, NOT THE ANIME!) should be on there. Don't kill me yet, hear me out a bit.

I generally don't like really comedic/ecchi manga/anime that have romance in them, because the romance part is usually a side thought. Yes, Love Hina had a ridiculous amount of comedy in it, harem and ecchi elements, etc. That's one of its basic elements, after all. However, it really did have a lot of serious romance/drama in it. I mean, there really was a large amount of it, and it got REALLY serious. It was completely different than the ridiculously terrible anime.

This club is, after all, about less comedic anime/manga(as well as less ecchi/harem stuff I'm guessing), so I know many people probably think this definitely doesn't fit, but I think that it really has a great balance between the romance and everything else.

But, you know, I'm just one person. People have different opinions, and it shouldn't be left to me, a newbie member. Just throwing it out there. The decision lies with everyone else(especially the club creator).
Mar 25, 2008 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
Okay, I'll add the Love Hina manga, because I've heard good opinions from it. But Love Hina anime I won't add, because it is barely serious. Although I have no idea what can be so different in the manga to have it turn into a romance drama.
And Shuffle! is really ecchi and lol in the beginning (and I disliked it), but after half the anime, the serious drama and romance part was so remarkable, it became my 5th favorite anime in the name of romance! :) srsly
Kirjath: and saying romance/comedy makes me want to not add those anime. This club is kind of a haven for people who don't like it when they trash their "would be loved" romance anime with "funny trash" ;)

Mar 25, 2008 2:39 PM

Feb 2008
Hehe yeah. Almost everyone says we can cut Shuffle! in half and make two series out of it.

The date with Asa is my favourite episode ;)
Mar 25, 2008 9:39 PM

Jan 2008
I suppose if we're going to have a discussion, Karin the anime is the only one I've seen (meaning I haven't read the manga). I originally suggested it because even though it is rather comedic, the basic story is that of a girl who is trying to decide which world she wants to be a part of--that of her family or that of her boyfriend--but ultimately her love of her boyfriend outweighs that of her love of family--not that she has to give up her family, because ultimately her family accepts that she had to make a decision, but her boyfriend accepts her and her family as well. Her family also loves her and each in their own way had to grow. When I think of the story overall the "funny" incidents are merely exaggerations of the troubles that need to be overcome--to make clear the kind of hurdles a person needs to go through to get to be an adult and love another person other than the family members.

But you don't have to agree, I just wanted to explain why I thought it was a valid choice when I first suggested it.

Mar 25, 2008 9:46 PM

Jan 2008
I just noticed that the post I made on 3/17 about Trouble Love Attack! not being a valid entry hasn't yet been taken care of. I'm pretty sure you don't want this BL manga in the list for this club! It should be Junai Tokkou Taichou! (aka Love Attack!).

Mar 25, 2008 9:57 PM

Jan 2008
If finding good manga is difficult because there are so many, maybe we should concentrate on the longer series? and maybe some shorter ones if they are outstanding. It's also hard to include those that are currently publishing unless they have at least a few volumes published. For instance, currently popular shoujo manga include Vampire Knight, and Gentlemen's Alliance Cross which have love triangles (quadrangles, pentagons?) as major parts of the plot and relatively little (maybe none, even) comedy, but who can say where they will end up? (neither one are even finished in Japanese). I have started many series but I have no idea where a lot of them are going although they look like romance to me.

But I think we can add: I Hate You More Than Anyone by Banri Hidaka--mainly because she has apparently written many series about members of the same family and how they all fall in love. So probably most things written by that author fit the criteria. There's a new series about a different girl but I think it's along the same lines: VBRose

animedreamerMar 25, 2008 10:03 PM

Mar 26, 2008 11:30 AM

Dec 2007
amcsi said:
Kirjath: and saying romance/comedy makes me want to not add those anime. This club is kind of a haven for people who don't like it when they trash their "would be loved" romance anime with "funny trash" ;)

Huh. Comedy trashes your romances? I'm sorry to hear that. I'll refrain from making further suggestions then...

Such is life...
Mar 26, 2008 12:32 PM

Feb 2008
I'm sorry, Kirjath, but it pretty much does. There are exceptable limits though.
Of course just because they add too much comedy in an anime with a romantic storyline doesn't make it bad as an anime (Love Hina, for instance, I think is a very good anime), but it does make it bad as a romance anime (for me). But this is what this club is about.

Mar 26, 2008 3:23 PM

Dec 2007
Alright. Comedy makes bad romance. I shall agree to disagree with you (respectfully). The only other experience I've got with romance in anime/manga is pretty much just shoujo, so I think it's about time I went back to reading some manga and waiting for the April season to start. Perhaps there'll be some good romance series that have (finally) been turned into anime.

Such is life...
Mar 26, 2008 5:06 PM

Feb 2008
Let's just name pure romance anime as 'melodrama' (or 'drama romances', cos most of them are dramas) and those with a lot of humour as 'romance comedies'. Like normal movies :)
Mar 26, 2008 9:32 PM

Feb 2008
Wikipedia says: The word "melodrama" is a portmanteau word, formed by combining the words "melody" (from the Greek "melōidía", meaning "song") and "drama". Thus, in melodrama, music is used to increase the spectator's emotional response or to suggest character types. While this use of music is nearly ubiquitous in modern film, in a melodrama these musical cues will be used within a fairly rigid structure, and the characterizations will accordingly be somewhat one-dimensional: Heroes are unambiguously good, villains unambiguously bad, and musical cues upon entrance of either will be unambiguous in signalling these facts to the audience. In other words, a melodrama tends to be a formulaic production, with a clearly constructed world of connotations: a villain poses a threat, the hero escapes the threat (or rescues the heroine) and there is (generally) a happy ending.

I don't think melodrama is a good word.

Mar 27, 2008 2:23 AM

Feb 2008
Hmm in polish it means something a bit different ;) OK lets just stick with drama romances.
Apr 7, 2008 9:27 PM
Dec 2007
yall should put myselfl;yourself (i didnt see it if it is there)
Apr 8, 2008 4:11 AM

Jan 2008
New series, looks pretty standard: Itazura no Kiss, only 1 ep. so far but not especially comedic.
By the way, when we use the word melodrama, we aren't referring only to the strictest definition of the word. We are saying that something is melodramatic, or contains melodrama--usually we mean something like, cliched, overexaggerated, overacted, over-emotional, etc.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Recommendation: Looking for specific types of couples

Apasher - Nov 5, 2016

4 by amandamiria »»
Apr 11, 2021 1:40 PM

» i need suggestion

17monkeydluffy - Feb 26, 2014

2 by amandamiria »»
Apr 11, 2021 1:38 PM

» Recomendation Specific Anime!!!

supertitao - Apr 7, 2021

1 by amandamiria »»
Apr 11, 2021 1:36 PM

» Love triangle, MC doesn't chose the obvious boy

Kya_Foxy - Mar 28, 2018

1 by roronoazoro128 »»
Aug 30, 2018 12:51 AM

» Forgot the anime title, plz help me!

Fryz3 - May 9, 2015

9 by Maj93 »»
Dec 27, 2017 8:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.