Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2015 7:55 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 1
[spoiler]
So far this has had the best first impression on me from all of the Spring 2015 shows. I really like the idea of having an urban fantasy. I guess you could also consider it sci-fi though. I think the creatures were referred to as demons though, so I guess urban fantasy would make more sense. Anyway the world was really interesting and I'm looking forward to learn more about it and the limited world building this episode was quite enjoyable. The main character seems to have a lot of mental issues so far... especially some self-esteem problems. I think he should be less worried about his height and try to do something about his eyes which seem to be permanently closed. I see Golgo 13 isn't the only one that has been spreading his genes throughout the anime industry. The fight scenes were the highlights of the episode for me. They were just so stylized, fluid and captivating. Especially the one with Zap and the green demon. Klaus' scene was quite good too, I really look forward to more of him, I'd say hes got to be my favorite character so far. Lastly the jazzy OST is a huge plus for me. So yeah Trigun/Gungrave creator doesn't disappoint.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 5, 2015 10:38 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 1
Apr 5, 2015 11:33 PM

Mar 2010
I haven't seen Gungrave, but the Trigun anime is basically the director's interpretation of Nightow's manga (source material looks quite different from what I've seen). Similarly, this shows Rie Matsumoto putting her own spin on it: https://twitter.com/capothotep/status/584947552375582721

It's actually much closer to Matsumoto's last anime, Kyousougiga. If you haven't seen it, you can find a few of the same visual ideas in the OP alone: huge close-ups of kanji, visual camera as an actual camera, reflections and crosses. Other things include the eccentricity of the antagonist, huge windows, repetitive geometry, spotlight and flower framing.

brianwuzhereApr 5, 2015 11:59 PM
Apr 8, 2015 1:18 PM

Sep 2009
Episode 1:
Apr 11, 2015 4:02 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 2
[spoiler]
Yep, definitely AOTS for me. Kyousougiga was my favorite during the season it aired, so I'm not surprised I'm enjoying this too. Matsumoto's style is pretty distinct despite this being only her 2nd directing job. Looking forward to more of her projects in the future. I have enjoyed all of Nightow's stuff though, so he has to have something going for him lol. Anyway this episode was geat, OST, animation, characters acting quirky as hell, but not to the point of being annoying. Even though the MC looks kinda silly at least he has a good reason for why his eyes look closed all the time. Also wish we got to see more of Klaus, but I feel like Zapp is taking over for my favorite with idgaf personality lol. Also guessing that "ghost' at the end of the episode was the anime original char. She looks kinda like MC's sister, maybe just a coincidence though.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 13, 2015 1:32 PM

Sep 2009
Episode 2:
Apr 15, 2015 6:54 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 2

Re: Episode 2
KingYoshiApr 21, 2015 2:20 AM
Apr 18, 2015 9:10 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 3
[spoiler]
Man this OST.... is just too good. When Ode to Joy started playing slowly in the background I was already pretty amped but the they got the choir going when he finally won and it was just such an epic moment. I now realize that pretty much nothing happened this episode and we really didn't learn anything lol. Yet I was still fully entertained by the amazing directing and OST. I think I still like Zapp better than Klaus at this point though. Zapp just seems like a lot more fun to be around. I hope for some actual plot next ep, but it will probably still be great without it lol.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 21, 2015 1:34 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 3
Apr 26, 2015 8:16 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 4
[spoiler]
Looks like we're moving toward having an actual plot with these vampire people now. Action scene was alright, but this episode definitely seemed a lot less "stylized" compared to the last 3. Also the bit about the vampires taking over the battleship is likely a nod to Hellsing as both series ran in the same magazine. Hopefully they explain whats up with the ghost girl too, she was entirely absent from this episode iirc.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 26, 2015 8:52 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 4
May 3, 2015 2:57 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 5
[spoiler]
Liked this episode quite a bit more than the last. Nice to see Ghost girl helping Leo out with his self-esteem issues. Not really sure what to think about the new characters... dat naming though lol XD Hummer Dog. I don't really think we've seen enough of him for me to really form a proper opinion. The new villain girl I found mostly irritating and a fairly boring stereotype, but that might just be a rash observation. Also @ at watching an Arnie movie at the end XD

-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 5, 2015 5:41 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 5
May 9, 2015 3:19 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 6
[spoiler]
To be honest I didn't really care that much for this episode. I mean the mushroom guy was okay... but yeah I just never really felt bad for him, cause he doesn't seem to feel any pain and I know this sounds horrible, but he was making these like this weird moaning/squeaking sounds when he got hit and I just couldn't take it seriously. The insert songs were great though and now we got Black and White... lol

-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 10, 2015 7:42 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 6
May 14, 2015 7:38 AM

Sep 2009
Episode 6:
May 16, 2015 1:19 PM

Sep 2009
Episode 7:
May 17, 2015 11:15 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 7
[spoiler]
I guess I've gotten used to the episodic nature of these episodes. I gotta say I got a lot more respect for Klaus now... even though he can be a simp as Zapp puts it. Also I'm guessing Shiro is somehow related to the vampires and Femt''s crew, considering her brothers involvement.
LoneWolfMay 18, 2015 3:17 AM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 19, 2015 10:09 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 7
May 24, 2015 1:46 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 8
[spoiler]
I had to google Gestaltzerfall effect. Apparently it's when you look at a kanji and you start to internalize it... interesting.

Anyway kinda disappointed in Zapp... living his life is such excess. Not even hint of discipline or self-control. Getting all crazy over a woman like that... I'm disappoint. His master on the other hand is pretty badass. Looking forward to more of him and the junior apprentice.
LoneWolfMay 24, 2015 9:40 AM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 24, 2015 8:37 AM

Sep 2009
Episode 8:
May 26, 2015 10:01 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 8
KingYoshiMay 26, 2015 10:07 AM
Jun 1, 2015 12:24 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 9
[spoiler]
Yeah I was kinda suspicious of White from the start. I wonder if she was only following orders from her brother to get close to Leon or if she actually did that on her own accord. Either way so much for WhitexLeon shipping... well idk I guess they'll pull something out later and have a "true love prevails" type ending... although I find it really sappy and unrealistic it's better than "I only got close to you so I could literally rip out your eyes and take them" lol. Aside from that some great battle scenes. Sakuga fans rejoice. Junior apprentice seems like hes gonna be joining the crew too so looking forward to more of him.
LoneWolfJun 1, 2015 3:20 AM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 1, 2015 12:07 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 9
Jun 7, 2015 3:44 AM

Sep 2009
Episode 10:
Jun 8, 2015 6:22 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 10
[spoiler]
Well just straight up asking for his eyes is one approach... Aside from that really fun episode. Felt very much like something out of Space Dandy or even Cowboy Bebop. Kinda random, but yeah just lots of fun and Fish guy makes a nice new addition to the cast.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 8, 2015 10:43 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 10
Jun 21, 2015 12:58 AM

Aug 2009
Eo 11
[spoiler]
So we got a flashback episode. I gotta say this didn't really do much for me though. I feel like they were trying way to hard to make us sympathize with White and gloss over/excuse the fact that she completely screwed over Leo and betrayed his feelings and trust. Honestly for all the crying and kind words she had to say, the fact that she didn't even attempt to step in when her brother was being bullied makes her feelings toward him seem disingenuous. I'm not saying flashbacks can't be executed well, but this episode just didn't work for me.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 22, 2015 7:24 AM

Sep 2009
Episode 11:
Jun 22, 2015 11:03 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 11
Oct 8, 2015 8:19 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 12
[spoiler]
So it's finally done. The episode seemed to be about 2 times longer than usual. Some great fights as usual, but I wasn't all that engaged in the plot to be honest. At one point Kuro was regarded as a force field or something? yeah...

Overall I liked the show, but in terms of story it kind of fell apart. I feel like the stuff with White and Black felt forced in and the episodic structure didn't help all that much. Some characters were interesting, but most didn't do much for me. Also that long wait for the finale kind of had me hyped, but didn't really meet my expectations. So yeah 6/10
LoneWolfOct 8, 2015 1:11 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 8, 2015 12:31 PM

Sep 2009
Episode 12:
Oct 9, 2015 2:19 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Episode 12
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Ie Naki Ko (Nobody's Boy Remi)

LoneWolf - Feb 24, 2015

33 by TheDenOfEverythn »»
Nov 11, 2019 3:22 PM

» Moonlight Mile - Simulwatch

omakase - Nov 27, 2017

23 by KannoSugako »»
Jan 8, 2018 7:04 AM

» Victorian Romance Emma - Simulwatch

LoneWolf - Feb 12, 2017

22 by LoneWolf »»
Jun 12, 2017 11:10 PM

» Mujin Wakusei Survive - Simulwatch ( 1 2 )

KingYoshi - Sep 27, 2016

62 by omakase »»
Feb 4, 2017 2:37 PM

Sticky: » List of all the public simul-watch projects

Alcoholicide - Feb 7, 2012

10 by hpb123 »»
Dec 14, 2016 9:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.