Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2007 4:38 AM

Jul 2005
The amazingness continues. This episode didn't have that much action but it was still very nice, especially when the cops tried to find out how Waku died. Interesting, I'll be waiting for the next episode.
May 1, 2007 6:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Though the first part of this episode was already spoiled in the discussion of episode 2, I still enjoyed this episode. It was interesting to follow the process of finding out how Waku died. Looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 1, 2007 7:46 AM

Oct 2006
Cyruz said:
Though the first part of this episode was already spoiled in the discussion of episode 2, I still enjoyed this episode.
QFT.

It's was kinda "heavy" with the funeral and all. The morgue guy gave us a hint to the cause of the death "lost his soul?". I wonder if they all die after piloting the robot, or if there's other factors involved... like how many time they spend piloting or the amount of damage the robot takes.
Seems the next pilot is gonna be that glasses guy (sorry too many characters to remember all names ^^). He appears to be the more "down to earth" character so far IMO, and the more interesting too...
looking foward to the next ep.
Aug 20, 2008 4:00 PM
Oct 2007
Lovin it.
Sep 1, 2008 5:50 PM

Dec 2007
Show is just about as good as I was hoping, although I'm pretty sure

#NBHNC
Nov 11, 2008 6:25 PM

Sep 2008
Very heavy episode. It's special, since most shows you don't see or hear about the horrible aftermath of the battle. Sure, you see buildings being destroyed, but buildings are just buildings, when you're actually given a number, and shown people greiving, it makes a powerful statement.

In a show with so many characters, some fade into the background (like most of the girls except for the short haired one and the 4th grader), but glasses kid (I also can't remember their names) is one of my favorites, so I don't want him to die. :(

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Dec 28, 2008 1:29 PM

Apr 2008
Wow.... heavy stuff man.... Im actually quite suprised at those children's first reactions, if it were to be a ''normal''situation you'd be rather traumatized wouldn't you? they're staying pretty cool under all of it for the moment...

hmmppfff... well that seems like a pretty random way of choosing the next pilot. looking forward to see what's gonna happen next.... good mystery anime this one
Jan 12, 2011 9:16 AM

May 2009

Story is really interesting!!!
Jan 27, 2011 1:14 AM

Mar 2009
Great. Everything about this ep was interesting.
Mar 29, 2012 10:06 PM
Mar 2012
Yeah, this is starting to feel like Narutaru, but better. I love the fact that we get to see how the family and everyone else reacts. Good they mention all of the loss of life as well. And there seems to be some kind of government investigation underway. Good. Pretty realistic way of handling the premise so far.

A bit slow, but I think the show needed a minute to breathe.

4/5
Apr 20, 2012 5:39 PM

Jun 2010
These kids act pretty mature for their age, being 7th graders and all. Some of them even look older; for example:
Nov 10, 2012 8:38 PM

Mar 2012
Seems like most of the kids have some sort of issues with their parents.
Apr 28, 2013 12:59 AM

Jan 2013
Really liking this. I can see this becoming a bit formulaic, but it will stay interesting.
Mar 4, 2014 8:00 AM

May 2012
Damn impressive episode, the drama combined with the development sure is great! I really wonder what the next episode and pilot will bring us!
May 23, 2014 1:42 PM
Apr 2013
That is just too depressing -__-
Jun 6, 2014 7:49 AM
Jun 2011
Everyone's parents / fathers seem to be in a high position or workaholics. I wonder what the chairs represent, socio-economic statuses of the children?

What bugged me is that 2K people dead is a MAJOR disaster in any country and people (the police, the public) were still behaving like business as usual. I would like the series to depict the overall mood of the society after some strange robots begin to wreck shit up.

A bit depressing episode yes, I wonder if the guy with the glasses is next up. Will he be having a funeral also?
Jun 30, 2014 11:49 PM

Sep 2010
I already got attached to the brown haired glasses guy he can't die next. T^T
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 22, 2015 7:37 PM
Apr 2013
3rd episode shows the aftermath of the battle between the mechas and how everyone's going trough it.
Seriously, the kids seemed pretty relaxed - even though their friend had just died, or disappeared. Some of them were even laughing through the interview. Two interesting things about the interview: apparently they hadn't made any agreement of a made-up story to tell the cops (even though they all fell down nicely) and Kako said they were with Waku the night before. Not only did he say that, he said it excitedly - which bring us back to Waku had just died/disappeared.

All the kids seem to have troubles with their parents - absent moms and dads, simply not caring for their children - even Waku's dad said he should've been more present, ''if it weren't for work''. Komoda told her parents about the robot, but they didn't seem to believe in her.

An interesting detail:
- The one to call everyone for Waku's funeral was the same one to last speak with him before they got on the robot: Moji. Maybe he felt like he owned them something? Or he simply felt the most for his death - he seemed quite drawn to the boy.

Kodama is the next pilot. He kept Kokopelli's glasses; said they made himself look ''smarter''. He seems the type to not show his emotions - in Waku's funeral he even made a insensible commentary ("I want to go home already"). In the preview, he looks a bit troubled, though.
cocochandesuJan 22, 2015 8:27 PM
Jun 15, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
boring dropped
Feb 22, 2016 1:09 PM
Aug 2012
geez! it's becoming more and more intense and gripping
Apr 1, 2017 8:47 AM
Jan 2012
Very nice. I am glad there are episodes dedicated to the aftermath of the battles. Hope it continues this way.
Jan 8, 2018 8:50 PM

Jun 2014
Im gonna be pissed if this turns into a pattern: pilot is selected; Zearth team defeats robot; pilot suddenly dies; next pilot is selected; repeat until only 1 kid survives after defeating all 15 robots.

Because having a surplus of main characters just for the sake of killing them off for no reason is the worst way to write a story. And this show doesnt even come across as being "edgy" like other shows that do this. This show has seemed sincere and enjoyable so far.

Hopefully im just overreacting / extrapolating, and the show wont commit character slaughter
Apr 29, 2018 7:36 AM

Apr 2014
They definitely got the emotions on point in this episode.

Emotions can make or break a show. This show, it made.
Jan 29, 2019 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
I already know now: this will break my heart. :(
Jan 5, 2021 8:03 PM
Apr 2016
All of them seem to have unique dynamics with their parents, so I'm fairly certain it's alright to assume we'll have a ton of drama upon each death and the confrontation - it's reasonable to assume the pilot dies upon finish, perhaps if a certain condition gets triggered? People hardly ever feel like it's "real" when visiting their very first funeral, especially if they're children. However, in this situation, they will inevitably have growth forced upon them and therefore will have to familiarize with the weight of "death."
Oct 10, 2021 3:30 PM

Jul 2016
look at the siblings standing there alone... i doubt they even have parents. i feel like their mom might have died giving birth to kana, and then their dad left them. hence the resentment and absence of any guardians- what if i'm right? anyways. kana seems to still love her older brother. or... it's very confusing. does she? she barely talks and is extremely subdued, muted in personality. perhaps she is simply too accustomed to this.
Apr 27, 2022 1:33 PM

Nov 2016
Everyone went back home after police interrogation(except for Megane-kun/Ushiro who lives in the basement of the tanktop guy) where they got to enjoy comfort, talk to their parents and take a break to process the events. Attending Waku's funeral was an opportunity for some to shed tears while a certain someone just wanted to go home. At first I almost thought no one gave a fuck about Waku except for that one girl(you know who I mean), but they were still digesting what happened. Pretty much a calm before the storm type of episode that reminded me of Final Destination with the interrogation and funeral and how it built anticipation that makes you want to watch the next episode. It ain't over yet and everyone knows it.

The edgy boy/teenage nihilist truly won't be missed and pretty dangerous to give someone like him control over Zearth. He strikes me as the type to abuse power for lower self-gratification and it's obvious that he doesn't care about human life. After seeing him with a gun in the OP I have to rename him. From now on he's potenial school shooter.

There was some additional exposition. For one about the number of casualties, but more interestingly were the words of the coroner "The spark of life was gone". So to me this is an indirect confirmation that Zearth either is fueled by life force and/or that you die anyway after your turn. The latter would be a bit too fucked up. If this is still a "game" there should be a way to survive.... at least one round.

No clue what role Kana is going to play yet.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2023 1:56 PM

Dec 2022
The pilots being selected were initially ecstatic at the prospect. Now it's a matter of "Who's next?"

Seems like piloting the Zearth is the root cause of the deaths, if Waku died before hitting the ground. Could it be a cursed mecha, or does it place some undetectable strain on the body?

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.