Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2015 10:01 AM

Feb 2015
Do you believe in this one: When you see a test that has multiple choices, and the right answer is only 1, (e.g. 4 choices, 1 correct choice.) the correct answer is usually at the 2nd or 3rd choice. Discuss.
Mar 31, 2015 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
I've heard about something like this before. Apparently people tend not to make their first option the correct one because they subconsciously feel it's to exposed, and thus end up usually making the choice in the middle the correct one.

Liar Game has so much cool stuff to learn.
Signature removed for being too cool. That signature was too cool. Please make something less cool to use, following stuff defined in the Site & Forum Guidlines.
Mar 31, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2014
not to boast but i am actually very good at this topic
(give 3 paper like those every week and never know the answer :P )
well it depends on who made the paper
there are many time i have seen that around 50 percent of the answer to be one of the 4 means that in a 200 ques the answer is 2 or 3 for around 70-110
sometime teacher who make the question writes the answer in first then thinks of other options
the same if teacher want to confuse they usually write the ans in 2 or 3 mostly
some think of other options first and then write the right one in the last
Mar 31, 2015 10:11 AM

Jan 2014

yet i feel like this all time
Mar 31, 2015 10:12 AM

May 2012
why not just study
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Mar 31, 2015 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
hafrist said:

This happens way too often on those damn multiple choice tests. Throws me off so much.
Signature removed for being too cool. That signature was too cool. Please make something less cool to use, following stuff defined in the Site & Forum Guidlines.
Mar 31, 2015 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
HikoSeijuroXIV said:

This happens way too often on those damn multiple choice tests. Throws me off so much.

i know that damn feeling
Mar 31, 2015 10:15 AM

Feb 2015
hafrist said:

That is the Gambler's Fallacy

hafrist said:
not to boast but i am actually very good at this topic
(give 3 paper like those every week and never know the answer :P )
well it depends on who made the paper
there are many time i have seen that around 50 percent of the answer to be one of the 4 means that in a 200 ques the answer is 2 or 3 for around 70-110
sometime teacher who make the question writes the answer in first then thinks of other options
the same if teacher want to confuse they usually write the ans in 2 or 3 mostly
some think of other options first and then write the right one in the last

Yeah I also asked my teachers about this and they said: "It doesn't matter where the answers go, but we always try not to make same letters consecutively"

The next quiz got shit'd, having 10 consecutive letter A in the answers.
Mar 31, 2015 10:21 AM

Jan 2014
Monstrum said:

The next quiz got shit'd, having 10 consecutive letter A in the answers.

i sympathise with you. those teachers always try to trick you thinking they are a step ahead
somebody please show them no game no life
Mar 31, 2015 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
lnfo said:
why not just study

You can't remember everything, and even those who study can't get perfect answers as sad as it may be. This seems like it should be used when you are unsure about an answer.

I find multiple choice answers really just a be a layman's test anyways.
Mar 31, 2015 10:57 AM

May 2012
MrHawkeye said:
lnfo said:
why not just study
You can't remember everything, and even those who study can't get perfect answers as sad as it may be. This seems like it should be used when you are unsure about an answer.
I find multiple choice answers really just a be a layman's test anyways.
we never get multiple choices here
its usually written and memorized.
multiple choices is a cowardly way to trick students into picking the wrong answer
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Mar 31, 2015 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
Personally,if I wanted to find out whether students really know what have they studied,I would put most of the correct answers on the first choice,and few of them on some of the other choices.

Though that would be pretty harsh.
Mar 31, 2015 11:09 AM

Feb 2014
Monstrum said:
hafrist said:

Except that it doesn't apply in this case, because the Gambler's fallacy is only applied to truly random situations.
Mar 31, 2015 11:58 AM

Feb 2015
Anti-Semidick said:
Monstrum said:

Except that it doesn't apply in this case, because the Gambler's fallacy is only applied to truly random situations.

But the feeling is the same. Your mind still think that things cannot go consecutively as that.
Mar 31, 2015 12:17 PM

Feb 2014
Monstrum said:
Anti-Semidick said:

But the feeling is the same. Your mind still think that things cannot go consecutively as that.
And that's how the test maker feels too, so they usually won't put the same answer more than three times consecutively. No human can truly generate "randomness."

I know this because I'm a statistics student.
Mar 31, 2015 12:21 PM

Feb 2015
Anti-Semidick said:
Monstrum said:

And that's how the test maker feels too, so they usually won't put the same answer more than three times consecutively. No human can truly generate "randomness."

I know this because I'm a statistics student.

I know that. That's why in our past test that has 10 consecutive same answer, we fucked up.

This also works on True or False.
Mar 31, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2013
Tennessee
Ten is C
Mar 31, 2015 1:17 PM

Oct 2012
My Science teacher in 10th grade gave us an exam that was full multiple choice and all the correct answers were A. Nobody got a perfect score because we all thought it was impossible that all the answers were A xD
Mar 31, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2013
Monstrum said:
Do you believe in this one: When you see a test that has multiple choices, and the right answer is only 1, (e.g. 4 choices, 1 correct choice.) the correct answer is usually at the 2nd or 3rd choice. Discuss.
No because the answers could have been decided with RNG. And even if they weren't I'd rather take an educated guess than try and outguess my teacher.
Mar 31, 2015 1:24 PM

Apr 2012
the correct answer is always C

seriously i had a chemistry pop quiz where literally all 6 answers were C

Mar 31, 2015 2:00 PM

Nov 2014
would cry if this is real
Mar 31, 2015 2:31 PM

Mar 2014
HikoSeijuroXIV said:
hafrist said:

oh my goD YES. you KNOW it's the one, but bc of that you start to question the ones you've done before and you end up 200% stressed and frustrated
Mar 31, 2015 7:17 PM

Feb 2015
I feel like no one here studies test-taking theory.. which is to eliminate wrong answers and then gamble between the remaining choices.

If you are answering..

A
A
A
A and then the next oen seems to be A as well when you eliminate wrong answers, then it's just as likely one of the previous A's is wrong as it is that the current A is wrong, so changing any of them has just as much chance of being wrong if you don't have solid justification for the answers.

So, A is the answer - and you shouldn't have spent time thinking about it. You should mark and advance as quickly as possible making a mental note of that section to reexamine - and possibly do any "hard math" (or what have you) that is needed to come to real answers for that section AFTER completing the rest of the test.
Mar 31, 2015 7:33 PM

Feb 2015
If in doubt and the answers are in English, pick the longest answer.

If it's which one of these 4 things are false (or true), and only two answers are contradictory, it must be one of those two.

I use rules like that instead of trying to blindly predict the pattern.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 31, 2015 7:44 PM

Jul 2012
paying attention to the order of the answers whatsoever is the way of the layman who did not study or is not intelligent enough to infer the correct answer from the available information.
xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"
Mar 31, 2015 7:45 PM

Mar 2008
usually there is one decoy very wrong answer and one seemingly but deceptive wrong answer that could be right but its often similar to the very wrong answer. So its a game of which is not like the others. I used to do fairly well with this even if i had no clue what the right answer is.
Mar 31, 2015 10:47 PM

Dec 2013
Space-Wizard said:
paying attention to the order of the answers whatsoever is the way of the layman who did not study or is not intelligent enough to infer the correct answer from the available information.

You don't have to be so mean! q.q
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Mar 31, 2015 10:56 PM

Feb 2015
Well what if you are to pick 4 cards in hand, and you must guess where is the right card. This is pure guessing. But do you believe that usually the right card is in the 3rd or in the 2nd one?
Mar 31, 2015 11:09 PM

Oct 2009
The diversity of choices is tricking you to believe that one of the options is the right one. Where I come from sometimes none of the options were right, a trick question to filter out people who made wild guess.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 10 hours ago

15 by pludel2 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 42 minutes ago

1 by creepylurker »»
4 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

45 by KittenCuddler »»
6 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

73 by pludel2 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

22 by Rhaelynne »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.