Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 14, 2009 7:14 PM

Jul 2009
It is painful to make me wait for the other guy to say: "Sorry dude, but I'm not gay" to the other. So I guess I should take the 2nd option then ;)

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Dec 14, 2009 10:42 PM

Jun 2007
I wish these last two arcs were somehow separated from the first two, that way I could score Kokoro and Hashire Melos with a 9-10/10
Dec 15, 2009 1:32 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
woah. I throughly enjoyed this part of the arc. The underwater part was so amazing. T absolutely loved it. really really well done.

on a different note, I know this arc was made by the guys that made Death Note and Bakuman. Does anyone know if the art will be like Run Melos and No Longer Human for the Bakuman anime?
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 15, 2009 2:03 AM
Jun 2008
Good evening Shroomie ^^
Shroomie said:
It gets a bit confusing whether Melos represents Joshima or Takada. Personally, I think it's both of them. At first it's Joshima. But when he falls ill, the tables turn and it's Joshima who's waiting for Takada. They show how frantic Takada is in his attempt to make it to his friend as fast as he can.

I think it the other way,I tought is Takada is waiting for Joshima.Since Joshima break Takada's promise.I think Joshima almost forgotten the promise.Did you know Takada suffer alot that he can't finnish the script that Joshima put so much hope in him.Well,Friends(Gay) must stay together ^^
Shroomie said:

from what his wife said, Joshima had also struggled to get to Tokyo to reunite with Takada. For the person who is waiting, it is easy to assume that their friend has forgotton all about them.

Yes its true,but his wife also said that Joshima already knew himself have a disease that couldn't be cure.But still, Joshima want to make the promises.
Comparison:
In the act Meros said that he is prepared to die because of his sin but he wanted to go to her sister's wedding ceremonial.So,Meros request for 3 day to go attend the wedding.As a prove of that he will coming back, he put his friend Serinentius as hostage.

Joshima knew he got disease but still he want to go to tokyo although its a struggle.He promise Takada he could play his written script

But this story is all bout Takada's motivation to finish his script.Did you realize that Takada is shock when he saw the clock.He is not even shock when he heard bout Joshima's story.When Takada leaving for Tokyo,Joshima did not left.Because of this,Takada is angry and throw the clock away out from the train's window.
Anway Takada gain back motivation to finnish off the script and happy ending.
Do you make a promise to a friend,when you know you can't make it?
Theres a probability that Joshima plan this whole up.....to make Takada finish his script.
MorningGloryDec 15, 2009 2:26 AM
Dec 15, 2009 4:45 AM

Sep 2009
Zuly said:
I laughed at the Death Note-like writing
Also shown in No Longer Human....it makes me miss Light XD
Dec 15, 2009 1:36 PM

Mar 2008
Absolute brilliance in this arc.. This episode was amazing..
Dec 15, 2009 9:30 PM

Dec 2008
so good! i loved this arc! very emotional

Dec 15, 2009 11:51 PM

Jul 2008
those actors are pretty good, and so the tale ends, with the best friend suffering from a heart disease and dying, only two more episodes left!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 16, 2009 8:10 AM

Jun 2009
I loved this arc
I cried at the end ><
Dec 16, 2009 2:21 PM

Jul 2009
I cried too...TTT____TTT....of laughters...;D

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Dec 17, 2009 1:41 AM

Sep 2009
In the preview doesnt the guy sort of look like Haine from Dogs Bullets and carnage????
Dec 17, 2009 12:19 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:
In the preview doesnt the guy sort of look like Haine from Dogs Bullets and carnage????
Really!? The one i downloaded didn't have the preview at the end :(

Now i'm excited for the next one! Haine is one of my favorite characters :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 17, 2009 4:47 PM

May 2008
This was...by far one of the best arcs ever. Oh my god...amazing.

Dec 21, 2009 4:34 PM

May 2009
A great arc indeed. There was so much emotion and the voice acting was really good. Loved it.

These two episodes probably had the best animation and art too.
Dec 22, 2009 2:35 PM

Sep 2008
Naruleach said:

on a different note, I know this arc was made by the guys that made Death Note and Bakuman. Does anyone know if the art will be like Run Melos and No Longer Human for the Bakuman anime?
Nope, this arc chara design is worked by Konomi Takeshi not Ohbata.

By the way, the seiyuu's works for this arc is really outstanding ;_;
Dec 22, 2009 6:11 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
fertygo said:
Naruleach said:
Nope, this arc chara design is worked by Konomi Takeshi not Ohbata.
oh my mistake. >__<
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 23, 2009 4:45 AM

Aug 2008
hanabiii said:
I wish these last two arcs were somehow separated from the first two, that way I could score Kokoro and Hashire Melos with a 9-10/10
+1.
Dec 23, 2009 10:38 AM
Apr 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
Also shown in No Longer Human....it makes me miss Light XD

Nah, I think it's more exaggerated in this arc than in No Longer Human, that part cracked me up too.

Great 2 episodes, I think this is my favourite arc by far.
Dec 23, 2009 5:38 PM

Apr 2008
Great episode. Wasn't really complex but it was extremely well done. Props to madhouse for doing such great adaptations and to the seiyuu's too (I really could feel the characters feeling with that voice acting :P). This arc comes 2nd for me after Kokoro.
Dec 25, 2009 7:39 PM

Dec 2008
Life is a stage, and we are tense under the bright lights of reality.

My goodness this series keeps getting better and better! The use of different yet beautiful animation styles, the short but thought-provoking story lines, even the background checks before introducing the stories in each episode bring about the tension and curiousity that leaves the viewer hungry for more. I have not seen an anime quite like this in a long time and I am quite relieved to finally see some amidst the myriad of bizarre and pointless animes out there.

The story of Run, Melos! is by far my favourite. It's tragic how this series is so short. It needs to be longer. :'[ Oh well...looking forward to the next episode.
~ SilentMuse, At Your Service. ~
Dec 28, 2009 6:31 PM

Aug 2008
Great end. Almost as good as Kokoro, and I didn't think that was possible.
Dec 28, 2009 7:23 PM

Mar 2009
That made me tear up a little bit.

Jan 9, 2010 3:21 AM

Jun 2009
This arc is 10/10, human drama of the highest possible grade. Combining life-story and theatre-story was a great move, and feelings... these feelings! I don't have enough words to describe how deeply it touches your soul. Bravo!
Alicia3000 said:
That made me tear up a little bit.

Not without it *blush*. I didn't even expect something to make me feel like this. True masterpiece.

Upd: and here we can see real problem, not as in the previous arcs.
MaxCrankJan 9, 2010 3:31 AM
Jan 11, 2010 2:38 PM

Sep 2009
Just the very best arc of whole serie!
Jan 11, 2010 6:51 PM

Jan 2008
Having seen all 5 stories, this is my favorite in terms of art and story. Great ending!
Jan 13, 2010 4:26 PM
Nov 2007
This arc was simply breathtaking. Amazing crossover between theater and reality made my jaw drop =O

'Run, Melos!' along with 'Kokoro' were the best arcs of Aoi Bungaku
Jan 16, 2010 4:48 PM

Oct 2009
This was truly amazing, deep and powerful. I don't really know what else to say...
Jan 16, 2010 11:07 PM

Aug 2009
Amazing true human emotions...

Jan 19, 2010 9:26 PM

Aug 2009
Damn. Parallelism at its best. Animation was stunning in this anime and I cried too.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Jan 20, 2010 3:24 AM

Nov 2009
Very dramatic and emotional ep. The best so far 10/10. How can it get better than this? Also, some scenes had some very Satoshi Kon-esque vibes---with reality merging with the play and all.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jan 30, 2010 4:21 PM

Aug 2009
WHAT? I didn't enjoy this arc at all. I don't really know why but yaoi isn't just the thing for me. It made me irritated when I saw the writer and the actor in bed getting all emotional like they were lovers and such. All I know is that it's not the best arc but it was still quite good.

Okay so I didn't really get the "Wait or keep someone waiting" part. Heck, they didn't even say anything about why the actor didn't show up in the train station 15 years ago. In the end, it looked like the writer was the one at fault. Why is that?

I think the play was better than the love story of the writer and the actor, but that's just me. I loved how the king and the soldiers were all on the stage and Melos showed up in the back with the audience. The whole theatre is their stage, lol.
Jan 31, 2010 1:44 AM

Jun 2009
Moonfrost said:
WHAT? I didn't enjoy this arc at all. I don't really know why but yaoi isn't just the thing for me. It made me irritated when I saw the writer and the actor in bed getting all emotional like they were lovers and such.

No comment...
Moonfrost said:
Okay so I didn't really get the "Wait or keep someone waiting" part. Heck, they didn't even say anything about why the actor didn't show up in the train station 15 years ago. In the end, it looked like the writer was the one at fault. Why is that?

The excellence of this arc is that no one should be considered as guilty, there's no clear solution of the problem (that's why it's really a problem).
Feb 8, 2010 12:23 AM

Jan 2009
This story is just too powerful. With supreme animation quality and epic adaptation , Hashire Melos just left me in awe.

The style is very different than Dazai's work earlier in this anime, Ningen Shikkaku where the aura is so complex and depressing. Here what I see is a great drama about friendship (well, though it was more leaned towards BL, i still think this is a great friendship tale). I also like Kokoro, but this story is just too strong, stronger than Ningen Shikkaku probably. The best so far.

"Is it painful to be the person who waits ? Or is it more painful to be the person who makes others wait ? Either way, there is no need to wait anymore. That's what is most painful."
Feb 11, 2010 5:57 AM

Dec 2009
Selkaine said:
Damn. Parallelism at its best.

Agreed.
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Mar 21, 2010 12:55 PM

Sep 2009
This was an incredibly moving story. Going back and forth between the play and reality was really well done. Truly well done, all the way around. Not many anime's get me crying like this one did. 10/10.

All of the stories are fantastic in their own ways, but this one will stay with me longer than any of the others.
Apr 24, 2010 10:52 PM

Jul 2009
Eh...That was the worst arc for me, unlike others. Still good though.
May 20, 2010 2:53 PM
May 2010
such an amazing amazing arc
truly a masterpiece !

Aoi Bungaku is by far my favourite anime
and prolly will stay as my top anime for a long time. !

I just dont like the fact that it is only 12 episodes !
I want MOREEEEE
dont make us wait lol IT IS PAINFULL
release more of it
May 22, 2010 3:56 PM

Aug 2009
Indeed! The best arc of the series.
May 23, 2010 2:27 PM

Apr 2009
Mfffff that was the best arc, for sure. Whatever the next one is, won't beat this one. I sobbed a little in the end, too D:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
May 23, 2010 4:12 PM

May 2008
To be honest I enjoyed this arc much more than the others till now. Even with the animation, it was fabulous and really really impressing, as expected from Konomi Takeshi.
Maybe the story was really a bit exaggerated, but if you think about it, maybe it wasn't~~
May 26, 2010 10:32 PM

Jul 2007
The ending was great. I truly enjoyed this arc.

I hope the last arc can keep it up.
May 29, 2010 2:07 PM

Dec 2008
I really enjoyed this arc. Even cried a little. ;p

Overall I give this ep. a 4/5.

Jun 9, 2010 12:14 AM

Jan 2008
Eh, it was okay.
Jun 12, 2010 3:52 PM

Sep 2009
Beautiful, I really enjoyed this arc.
Aug 24, 2010 12:22 AM

Jul 2009
i love this arc :D

the way the actors in the stage intertwine those of the author is just brilliant.

we need more adaption of work in anime. i really like the staff that did Aoi bungaku simply gorgeous.
Sep 3, 2010 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
i swear i'm almost in tears this was so beautifil.
I wish joushima didn't die but...
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Mar 20, 2011 8:14 PM

Feb 2010
Lawli-gagger said:
i swear i'm almost in tears this was so beautiful.

I was in tears through most of this episode. For me this was one of the most powerful and touching stories I've ever come across. Partly because I knew a german poem about Melos Story from my childhood, partly because I related many aspects to my own life, my friendships etc.. Hard to explain, but this was the first arc that really touched my individually, personally, emotionally. While the other arcs were good too they only touched my on an intellectual level, and as it is very rare for something to delve this deep into my emotions I really appreciate this arc..
I probably regret this post by now.
May 15, 2011 4:45 PM

Nov 2010
Story in this one was great.
Jun 13, 2011 8:22 PM

May 2010
The funny thing is, I agree with all the comments about how amazing this ark was, and yet so far it's my least favorite. This was beautiful in every way, but I guess I just relate better to despair. After all, the masterpieces are blue ;)

5/5
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 25, 2011 4:12 AM

Sep 2009
vinesage said:
At the first part, before the author understood his friend, the one resembles running Meros is his friend. But later it is shown that the one whos really running is the author himself, and that should be also how the author sees the play later.

Actually in my perspective Melos started out as the friend and as the story progressed, Melos collapsed from exhaustion, the plot slowly transitioned into the author being Melos. The author and his friend at some point need to get somewhere in a moments notice while the other waited. While the friend, Melos in the first half, gave up his determination and laid on the floor exhausted the author, representing Melos in the second half, never gave up hope of seeing his friend once more.

That's my take on it. Although I'm kinda at a loss to what really happened on the day they were suppose to to go Tokyo together?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.