Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 1, 2015 5:34 PM

Dec 2009
well this is the first show in a long time (or ever) to mess with my head and make me go "wtf is even going on?"

so they both die and live on in kumaria's heavenly whateverplace as yuri approved. they didn't back down on their love to the end.

ofc the whole show is a big fat metaphor, so you could say they only died in the eyes of society if you count the guns as finger points of exclusion.

those excluders, especially the leader, shoulda died tho. i wanted them to die. agreeing with yuri or not, even if it's just excluding, it's still twisted and deranged to witch hunt for them. though then again, another one woulda just popped up after doing the same thing :<

shabadadu.
GenesisAriaApr 1, 2015 5:38 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 1, 2015 7:48 PM
Aug 2013
Asagami said:
jimjameswhatever said:
The two MCs "died" in the same way that Utena "died." They moved on from the restraints of social norms.

Actually I find the ending is very Utena-esque but with a happier -and some way with a less ambiguous- tone. I like it, but it is not so powerful like the endings of Utena and Penguindrum, where I found me crying and feel me weird about the fates of the characters. Here... not, only Lulu caught my attention since the first episodes :(

Good series, anyway. But I actively recommend watch the previous work of Ikuhara to see his better stories.

I agree with this. The ending was VERY similar to the ending of Utena, but not nearly as powerful or subtle. The show in general just wasn't subtle or elegant especially at the end, when the characters are just sort of raptured up to heaven.

The show has some interesting stuff, and I'm always glad to see Ikuhara make more anime, but compared to Penguindrum or Utena I thought it was rather over the top and at several points a bit of a train wreck.
millguyApr 1, 2015 7:58 PM
Apr 1, 2015 9:55 PM
Mar 2015
I get not being a fan of the character design (Morishima definitely is a love or hate artist) but are you seriously going to complain about the animation being off on a smile while praising Utena? I love Utena, definitely beats both Ikuhara's other shows as far as the story goes, but it's PLAUGED with animation errors (see: half the shots of Touga). It's not Musashi Gundog bad, but calling Utena visually stunning is... it has moments of brilliance for sure, but it doesn't have the tools or budget of modern shows and it is obvious just by watching most episodes.
Apr 1, 2015 10:45 PM

Oct 2013
final verdict from me is 8/10 :3 that kiss scene got me so fangirly >.<

The show is definitely a masterpiece, the symbolism is really interesting as well.
Though shows with alot of those symbolism arent really my type to focus on.

This one is still great because it has that kuma shock and OP which smells like yuri everywhere xD
Apr 1, 2015 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
Hito420 said:
one thins i wont say annoyed me by found myself talking to my monitor doing was

in this kind of weird and fantasy yuri show that is not set on a normal world, u have to get your logic out of the way.
Apr 2, 2015 1:15 AM

Feb 2012
mm Kureha is actually hot as a semi-bear. I don't do very good with a lot of symbolism, but it was entertaining most of the time.. 7/10
Now I want a show about lesbian seagulls.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2015 2:03 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Beautiful ending to a fantastic series!! 10/10
Apr 2, 2015 10:18 AM

Mar 2014
What a sweet ending, just thinking about it gives me happy feelings inside.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Apr 2, 2015 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
Now that I think about it there wasn't one male human in this anime.
7/10
Apr 2, 2015 4:27 PM

Dec 2009
RediceRyan said:
Now that I think about it there wasn't one male human in this anime.
7/10
that's what happens in girls' schools. (where yuri is most likely to happen, and where it would be a prominent issue)
GenesisAriaApr 2, 2015 4:31 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Apr 2, 2015 7:24 PM

Oct 2013
YURI APPROVED This show was absolutely amazing and beautiful
DAm what a powerful episode that was LULU at the end maybe ?????
9/10 for me didn't change my score till the last 3 episodes usally I dopped them down this just had such an amazing ending
[/quote]
Apr 3, 2015 1:12 AM
Sep 2014
I love it. I love the ending. But ... what happened at the end?? lol
Apr 3, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2009
10/10 because of reasons
Yuri approved.
Couldn't stop crying. From when they kissed to the ending. Damn even after the ending, tearing up rn.
Lots of ikuhara things.
Very importante message for pur society, i understand the low rating: it's cause people are dumb
I can't believe an anime dared to go that deep into homosexuality, instead of making it all fanservice like sakura trick.
Coming from an all girl school i can relate to this and it's nice that somebody talks about it
danielamaghiniApr 3, 2015 5:25 AM
Apr 3, 2015 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
100000000000000000000000000000/1000000000000000000000000
Apr 3, 2015 9:33 AM

Jul 2009
this ending had me scratching my head a bit but over all i liked this anime. I had always said that Sumika wasnt dead, and I was sort of right, so that was good to know
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2015 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
Denmark-Chan said:
this ending had me scratching my head a bit but over all i liked this anime. I had always said that Sumika wasnt dead, and I was sort of right, so that was good to know

Can we say that Sumika never existed? She was something abstract.
Apr 4, 2015 12:44 AM

Feb 2013
Really nice ending. The girl and the discarded bear coming together at the end was great.
Also, Lulu and her little brother at the end. <3

Apr 4, 2015 3:30 AM

Sep 2010
I can't believe I almost dropped this (the first two or three episodes weren't so promising), it was so much better than I first thought. Also LULU BEST GIRL

8/10 or 9/10 maybe overall
Apr 4, 2015 2:08 PM

Sep 2009
Wow the ending was quite something I must admit.
So from what I understand one of the biggest messages at the end was that before you try to change someone else you should try to change yourself first, right?

And wow Sumika was Kumalia all along? Or was that just how Kureha imagined Kumalia in her mind?

Also Lulu being reunited with her brother was really nice and touching <3

Apr 6, 2015 10:22 AM

Oct 2008
Just finished watching ep 12.
Still don't understand.
what happen to kureha & ginko? and also to lulu?
i'll just read the comments to understand.

EDIT: OK i've read most of it especially from CookingPriest & Takuan_Soho thx and I understand most of it.

nothing much to say here. 8/10.
matias067Apr 6, 2015 11:02 AM

Apr 6, 2015 11:32 AM

Jan 2011
so in the end all 3 girls did not die and they found true love, looks like the black twin tail girl and that defected bear will continue the story of struggle...

i guess there is no definite answer, we see what we want to see, just like the characters in this show

a nice ending to an interesting series that has no male character at all :)
Apr 6, 2015 3:21 PM

Feb 2014
klaymore said:
You literally see what you want to see
Apr 7, 2015 12:25 AM

Jan 2015
surfboard_ said:
klaymore said:
You literally see what you want to see

He said this
Apr 8, 2015 7:07 AM

Jan 2014
Never back down on love <3
This was really beautiful ^_^
Apr 8, 2015 12:00 PM

Jul 2009
So Sumika was Kumaria, it was a surprise!
A really nice end, Kureha sure turned into a cute bear, it was cute...and Lulu <3 7/10
Apr 11, 2015 12:47 AM

Jun 2008
I too liked the ending.....how could I not....it was very sweet and our MC finally accepts herself for what she is....A lesbian.

However, there was a lot that I didn't understand and I don't think I will fully grasp from this anime....I think that's Ok, because the main message was crystal clear.

The only thing is....if we REALLY wanted to get a better look on how society frowns upon gays....it would've been more effective to have done so in the perspective of two MALES....but who knows if it gets the amount of views compared to an anime filled with very cute girls.

In the end....Truly, Yuri is the PUREST form of love....7/10
Apr 20, 2015 5:41 AM
Mar 2012
Gave me a bit more Kuma Shock than penguindrums did.
Sumika = Lady Kumaria greatest conspiracy.
Yuri lives on. It's a world within a world within a storybook told to the immortal little brother by Lulu in another world and everything's a metaphor.
The stylistic sequences (court, search evil etc, yuri approved etc) works to its advantage in anchoring the convoluted plot into key events, and delivers on the rules of this world.
Anime characters kiss, how rare is that? I thought the show started nonsensical, then plotlines diverged then converged, some symbols explained, and became the most cool, kirakira, and shabadaaduu show.
Apr 22, 2015 4:37 AM

Jul 2012
uh ok

yeah i'm definitely not a fan of this lol
the OP song is fantastic
the style is quite nice, but overdone. i do love the watercolor/crayon style tho!
the plot is very jumbly and everywhere which was my concern :S
i really liked the premise too.
another thing i disliked was dialogue. they say the goddamn same things in each episode "how true is your love?" and "i won't back down on my love!" which got to my nerves.
Apr 22, 2015 6:50 AM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
they say the goddamn same things in each episode "how true is your love?" and "i won't back down on my love!" which got to my nerves.
i guess ikuhara is a man of repetition. Sometimes it looks like those bear people are in a reality show fighting for their love or lust but more important, the very repetition of it is a way to reafirm the main motif, not that its the best way for that but thats how this sad japanese fellow likes to operate.
Apr 23, 2015 11:01 PM

Feb 2013
I'M STILL SO CONFUSED BUT I LOVED THIS ANIIME 8/10
May 5, 2015 12:02 AM

Jun 2014
Cant say i understood it fully.
But i liked it.
The whole last episode kinda lost me though.
Whatever, slow start, but it picked up and i ended up enjoying it!
8/10
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
May 16, 2015 1:43 PM

Oct 2014
Meh, actually thought that the series was pretty boring overall. Definitely better than others from this season but a tad dull imo.
And it didn't even contain yuri till the end :c

6/10 overall
May 17, 2015 7:02 AM
May 2012
Bizarre and confusing, so complex yet I could manage to understand the story. An experience like i had with Mawaru Penguindrum. Never thought I could experience something like this again. Definitely one of its kind.

9/10
May 31, 2015 6:08 PM

Jan 2013
Godtier_Taste said:

Catch phrases are annoying! DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON?!!

4/10 Ikuhara, I'm disappointed.

Wait! dat BIG sis x lil brother<3 scene!

5/10

Why are you knocking Yuri Kuma points off because of catchphrases when catchphrases have been a staple in all of Ikuhara's anime? Do you KNOW how many times we had to hear about the Egg's Shell in Utena?

Or how many times she reminded herself to crush them soon in Penguindrum?
Jun 1, 2015 5:02 AM
Mar 2015
sonofcasbah said:
Godtier_Taste said:

Catch phrases are annoying! DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON?!!

4/10 Ikuhara, I'm disappointed.

Wait! dat BIG sis x lil brother&lt;3 scene!

5/10

Why are you knocking Yuri Kuma points off because of catchphrases when catchphrases have been a staple in all of Ikuhara's anime? Do you KNOW how many times we had to hear about the Egg's Shell in Utena?

Or how many times she reminded herself to crush them soon in Penguindrum?

Apparently Ikuhara is on record that he loves repetition unlike virtually every other animation director out there. Repeated lines, repeated scenes: he compares them to religious ceremonies and mantras that gain strength and power through structured reuse. Establishing patterns only to either break them or change the context for the audience is something that he does frequently, and you either dig it or you don't.

...that said, anything actually said explicitly by Ikuhara should be assumed to be trolling until established otherwise.
Jun 26, 2015 11:30 AM

Jul 2012
the ending was super predictable but well, I liked it

overall the first 5 episode were boring for me, then it became better and better

rating 7/10 for me
Jun 28, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2011
The show was pretty meh. At first I thought it was just pure symbolism for something, but when the bears actually start murdering people I started to just take everything at face value. All the bears in the city are murderers, they deserve to be excluded. But I like yuri, the colors, love the opening, and I like the bear-human designs. 7/10.
Jul 3, 2015 2:39 PM

Jan 2015
Ranked: #2222"
Sep 6, 2015 5:23 PM

Dec 2012
I cannot rate any anime with such beautiful animation lower than 8/10, so I'll rate this 8.

However, I'm sad but I felt nothing. I was just sitting there enjoying YKA visually, but when it comes to feelings, it fails so hard. The only idea behind the story was "Don't give up on love (even if it's a bear)", so it felt really shallow to me, I dunno.

But I admit it was sexy, shabadadadoo.
Nov 27, 2015 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
''violence & profanity'' where exactly?
Jul 18, 2016 7:07 AM

May 2008
Great show! It had a confusing start at the beginning but it was worth to watch it till the end to get all the meanings and symbolism. A very magical experience :)
Jul 31, 2016 5:40 PM
Aug 2015
I just finished watching the anime and it was so confusing if someone could explain in a nutshell that would be great, also I've heard that they aren't actually girls that its more of a gay relationship... How?
Sep 1, 2016 9:29 AM
Aug 2016
The beginning of the anime was boring, but things started to get better, and this end was pretty cool! My note is 8/10. Gao Gao :)
Sep 17, 2016 1:51 PM
Dec 2013
GenesisAria said:

those excluders, especially the leader, shoulda died tho. i wanted them to die. agreeing with yuri or not, even if it's just excluding, it's still twisted and deranged to witch hunt for them. though then again, another one woulda just popped up after doing the same thing :<

Yeah, I think that was intentional. The evil main girl/woman at the top got killed like 4 or 5 times during the show and it didn't change anything. They just went on business as usual.

The bad girls didn't spend much time mourning their fallen or re-branding their mission as an effort to avenge their leader. They didn't spend much time celebrating their successes either, the invisible storm meetings just kept going at a steady pace. They didn't make it personal, because it isn't personal. The problem isn't a bad person or the bad personal relationship between two individuals, it's the whole system, invisibly surrounding them like the atmosphere.

If just killing the bad guys would lead to social progress then that kind of change would happen MUCH faster. Humans have been busy killing the bad guys for thousands of years now, exactly because it feels like the right thing to do. But what's going to bring change in the end is neither shooting lots of bears nor mauling vicious schoolgirls.
Nov 11, 2016 6:07 AM

Jun 2016
A very bittersweet ending and a very good anime overral
8/10
Dec 15, 2016 10:37 AM

Sep 2016
I never would have seen the Kumaria twist coming. Unlike a lot of people here :/

Also, I wonder if that scene in the end means that everything was a fairytale or that Lulu died and met her brother. Probably the latter. That's... kind of sad.

I could always change my mind, but it's 8/10 to me.
Mar 12, 2017 7:32 AM

Jun 2014
Great symbolism, beautiful ending and amazing soundtrack.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episodes, but after them the show started to go downhill. I mean, too many dialogues and scenes became repetitive and dull... I also found the plot a bit lackluster. Anyway, overall it was an enjoyable ride full of interesting metaphors.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Aug 23, 2017 7:16 PM
Aug 2017
The ending was predictable but good. I am pretty sure all the main characters died, most people are just kidding themselves with explanations that don't match what is shown. Yet the presentation is so joyous that most people don't realize what happened and don't feel sad, so job well done.

The only way for the characters to survive is to consider the whole show a metaphor, but in that case there would be no bears, no guns, and nothing to speak of. If you accept the reality that Kureha's mother died, and Prince Milne died, then by extension you know everyone else truly died.

It's just a fairy tale, and in that world an afterlife of sorts is real, so it really is a happy ending. The message the show conveys about our world is dark.

Feb 7, 2018 12:22 PM

Jun 2008
AimeeKite said:

Btw, what interests me most - the majority of metaphors were very easy to figure out, but what did Prince Milne mean by saying that instead of asking Lulu for a kiss he could just kiss her himself? To kiss means to share love, but wasn't it what he'd been trying to do all along while returning the honey pot?

Not really. He was bringing the honey again and again to get Lulu's love, not as a show of his own. Don't remember who said it but there's this: "If you want to be loved, love." Milne wanted to be loved and it took him to die (and probably meet Kumaria, in a way, if we go by the 'Kumaria being more-less God' interpretation), to realize he was doing it wrong. Hope you get what I mean.

Also, I see it as a parallel to Kureha/Ginko's story, just in a simpler terms:
Kureha wanting Ginko to become a human girl to stay with her forever / Milne asking Lulu for a kiss //// wanting to be loved
Kureha deciding to go bear for Ginko / Milne kissing Lulu /// loving.
Apr 10, 2018 8:16 PM

Sep 2014
Considering the weak start of the show, this ended a lot better than I expected. I really wanted to see Kureha turn into a bear and it actually happened! Also, Milne is the cutest thing, it was beautiful to finally see him kiss Lulu and call her onee-tama again.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.