Forum Settings
Forums

Users shouldn't be able to rate an anime/manga before its out.

New
Mar 26, 2015 9:17 AM

Sep 2014
Title is self explanatory. Thoughts?
?
Mar 26, 2015 9:18 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Are you talking about Oregairu second season that, if I recall correctly, is in top 50 and yet to air? :D

Good idea
Mar 26, 2015 9:19 AM

Jun 2009
Who cares, the rating will change soon enough after it aired.
Mar 26, 2015 9:22 AM

Mar 2013
In case you would like to see responses by the community on this exact topic, check this thread out.
Mar 26, 2015 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Subpyro said:
In case you would like to see responses by the community on this exact topic, check this thread out.
... you got here befor I did.
Mar 26, 2015 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:

Also this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=94257
Mar 26, 2015 9:53 AM

Nov 2013
users should be able to rate how and when they want. that's the end of it really. you start taking options away and that only gives voice to even more restrictions. the rankings will never be accurate so there's no point worrying over it lol.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 26, 2015 10:16 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
This topic is a duplicate of a duplicate, and the threads regarding it all need to be merged (which I'll do soon).

In response, we're aware of the problem. The dev team is working on a fix which involves Plan to Watch scores not contributing to Score stats on DB entries. Since you can't set anything to watching before it airs (a cron redeposits it into your PtW), this will effectively solve the problem.

And this way, users can still add scores to their PtW if they prefer that over the Low/Med/High priority based system, but it won't affect DB entry scores.
KinetaMar 26, 2015 10:23 AM
Mar 26, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2013
@Kineta Are you limiting yourselves to PtW (yet to air) series only, or possibly the airing series as well? It might be nice if we could have DB entry scoring possible only after a certain criteria is met, which could be alike the current review guidelines of when writing a preview for some series is possible. OVA without a specific ending date and such wouldn't be effected, but TV series' score could be publicly available only after x episodes into the show, based on the y value of an y-core show. The reason I'm suggesting this is the same as the reason for why there is a limit of episodes needed to be seen to write a preview: you are required to watch at least something to more or less rationally evaluate something. Naturally, I'm referring to DB entry scoring only when I say this, not scoring on the lists in general.

Excuse me if I'm derailing this thread with this point. If I'm not, anyone feel free to express your points on it.
Mar 26, 2015 11:07 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
There is nothing wrong with users scoring entries as they air. Why shouldn't they be able to rate which ep 1 impressed them the most in the current season. Some catalogue this information. FAL uses it as a criteria. And some probably use it as a measure to help choose what they're picking up this season. There's no harm in it.
Mar 26, 2015 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
As said, they are free to score the series as they air on their lists, but the suggestion was for those scores not to effect the DB entry overall score. I've already shared the reason in my previous post, but let me put it the other way around this time: why is there an episode limit of when users can start writing previews for some series? You said the score helps them choose what to pick up in that season, but wouldn't previews do the same? We are pretty much contradicting ourselves by having scores available right away but not previews. Or is it that you see harm in previews being submitted after the first episode?

I see, there is also FAL. Fair enough reason, especially since it has quite a history and activity on MAL.
Mar 26, 2015 11:28 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Previews are a different kettle of fish, and are explained in this thread. To summarise:
What is the problem with early episode reviews?
[...] Most statements will be conjecture on the writer's part as they can only guess how the series will develop at this point and can quickly become outdated in merely 1 or 2 episodes.

Since these reviews are essentially the writer discussing their enjoyment of the series so far and where they expect it to lead to, the venue for these type of discussions really are the episode discussion threads.

Most people score based on enjoyment. Reviews are not to be written based on enjoyment alone.
Mar 26, 2015 11:34 AM

Mar 2013
That would be correct if we assume previews as more of a type of reviews over general recommendations and shorter explanations, targeted towards those who haven't yet decided whether to pick the series up or not. After all, once the series finish, the previews are usually removed to make space for full-fledged reviews, with relatively rare exceptions being present.

However, if we assume previews more as general guidelines and explanations to users that haven't yet decided whether to watch some series or not, wouldn't they actually be the same as a DB entry score just with some further text attached? True, they would mostly be one user's opinion, but still, the outcome is the same: people mainly use previews to decide whether to watch/read something or not, just as you've said the DB entry score does.

I'm keeping FAL and other factors out when I say this, even though they are major enough to prove the point that keeping the DB entry score up since the start of airing is wise overall.
Mar 26, 2015 11:39 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
To end this line of conversation because it's now becoming more related to previews and derailing the thread: We will only make Plan to Watch entries not count towards DB scores. Currently airing series are fine as they are.
KinetaMar 26, 2015 11:43 AM
Mar 28, 2015 2:30 AM

May 2013
Why does it matter? It just indicates hype.
May 29, 2015 9:22 PM
Sep 2014
I also support this idea. I also against the average rating system. There are are algorithms that consider how many people rated a particular anime/manga. This is a good solution: http://www.evanmiller.org/ranking-items-with-star-ratings.html
May 31, 2015 10:24 AM

Jun 2012
This should indeed be done...
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli
Jul 2, 2015 10:54 AM

Jun 2014
Darkbow said:
This should indeed be done...
Well, all the unaired shows have been withdrawn from the lists, finally. Hentai too it seems.
Jul 2, 2015 11:18 AM

Nov 2014
No, no I disagree with this. I put animes on my plan to watch list and score them to know which month it will came out. Jan score 1 Febr 2...

So as long they don't make something that flashing, whistling, and other do things so much it hurt my eyes when something start to air, I don't want to remove this
Jul 3, 2015 1:11 PM

Mar 2013
Delenai said:
No, no I disagree with this. I put animes on my plan to watch list and score them to know which month it will came out. Jan score 1 Febr 2...

So as long they don't make something that flashing, whistling, and other do things so much it hurt my eyes when something start to air, I don't want to remove this

Use Taiga for that.
Pxi2 said:
Why does it matter? It just indicates hype.

Should be member with it in list based.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jul 3, 2015 1:22 PM

Nov 2014
EvenJellyOn said:

Use Taiga for that.

Well I will give it a try.
Jul 3, 2015 1:25 PM

Mar 2013
Delenai said:

It's season based but at least it's not mucking with the site's scores.
Jul 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Nov 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
Delenai said:

So how this thing work? When an episode aired this will notify me somehow?
Jul 3, 2015 1:44 PM

Mar 2013
Delenai said:
EvenJellyOn said:

So how this thing work? When an episode aired this will notify me somehow?

Not really. Use Traxt if you want that really badly.
It sorts shows by seasons though in your list.
Jul 3, 2015 2:02 PM

Nov 2014
EvenJellyOn said:

Not really. Use Traxt if you want that really badly.
It sorts shows by seasons though in your list.

Can you give a link to it? All i found is trakr but this is an app for iPhones
or you meant this?

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
3 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.