Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2015 1:53 PM

Apr 2014
wookie_bear said:
Ginti actually did the right thing. Mayu obviously couldn't stay there forever and I got this feeling he somehow arranged so she could meet Harada in the void.

Agreed, he even basically allowed her to choose to go with him or be reincarnated, then made it so that they would meet up in the void
Mar 20, 2015 2:00 PM

Jun 2014
wtf! Ginti set up an unfair decision for Mayu and then reversed the fate of her and harada ;-; motherfucker

I wonder if it was Oculus who made Decim give the spiked drink to Chiyuki.
Mar 20, 2015 2:01 PM

Mar 2012
Light was there cause of the Harada's voice actor, check out his roles and you'll understand ^_^
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Mar 20, 2015 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Ginti is da man.
Mar 20, 2015 2:15 PM

Mar 2014
i was slightly hoping for decim to have a small crush on chiyuki geuss that wont be happening :/

mayu and harada being sent to the void made me cry </3 hope they ended up together ?

scared for nona after that after credits scene O_o oculus is a creepy guy
Mar 20, 2015 2:15 PM

Apr 2013
i honestly cannot predict how this will end
Mar 20, 2015 2:26 PM

Feb 2014
Lots of scenes from the OP appeared in this episode...
Mar 20, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2007
I'm having trouble understanding the point of Ginti/Mayu/Harada's side of the story. Is it just to show other methods of judging and how other arbiter's are? Either way they shouldn't have waited 5 episodes to conclude that problem. The writers probably wanted to save all the big drama for the end, but there was just too much space in between, and barely any screentime/development for Ginti, with me losing interest in it quickly. Those are just my thoughts anyway.

iHitokage said:
Light was there cause of the Harada's voice actor, check out his roles and you'll understand ^_^
Both Death Note and Death Parade are animated by Madhouse as well :p
Mar 20, 2015 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
"All humans will, without exception, eventually die." Also, "After they die, the place they go is MU (Nothingness)."
~Ryuk, Death Note

So, we know Light is in the void already. It was a nice tie-in from MadHouse :)

In any case - really intense episode. The ice skating montage was very emotional - it conveyed her whole life with just a few pictures accompanied by sad music.

But the real kicker was Ginti's decision which threw me for a loop not once but twice. I had always assumed that he was just putting up a jerkass facade and at the end he seemed to confirm my suspicion with the Budha mask and then...BAM...demon mask. It was totally unexpected. I've gotta say I applaud the creators for managing to surprise me like that.

Still, it was a very dick move from Ginti. This wasn't judgement - it was just one cruel bastard having fun by playing with human souls.

The ending was pretty tense as well with Occulus confronting Nona. I can't wait for next week now...
Mar 20, 2015 2:35 PM
Feb 2013
I think Ginti not only made the right decision, but he also sort of helped Mayu to achieve her peace. He said to her that in the void an indivdiual would live forever tormented by his pain and wrong doings. But Mayu got to spend that eternity with the one she loves. They will not be in void alone. So, she will be miserable, but in sort of a happy way.
Mar 20, 2015 2:41 PM

Nov 2014
Damn, that was a great but depressing episode.

I kind of get why Ginti sent Mayu and Harada into the void. In the episode they were introduced—maybe episode 6—Harada almost kicked Mayu into some spikes to save himself. And in this episode, Mayu blindly chose Harada over Light without even trying to learn anything about him. They were both really selfish, and Mayu was particularly shallow. I don't think they deserved the void (damn that looked horrible), but the decision makes sense in this f'ed up world.

5/5
Mar 20, 2015 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
I don't have words to express how beautiful and breathtaking the ice skating scene was. It was wonderful. Just wonderful. And so sad. I really had to cry and also when Chiyuki remembered that she injured her knee. But I didn't quite understand why she committed suicide.

And I thought Ginti was a good guy. Why did he sent both of them into the void?! Mayu didn't do anything wrong, did she? Or was that the only way for he to stay at Harada's side, even after death?

I liked the Death Note reference ^^ I think everyone noticed that lol

And what is Oculus planning? It doesn't lookt that good.

Mar 20, 2015 2:46 PM

Jul 2010
Ginti, you asshole.

Also, DecimxChiyuki <3333 Oh my god, I ship them so hard.

TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
akarin- said:

Light from Death Note WTF? :D

lol so this why they said people dying faster recently.

fav
Mar 20, 2015 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
lol if that really was Light, I can only imagine how much of a boss L was when he was being judged.
Mar 20, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2013
Ginti you asshole!

Glad we FINALLY get to learn Chiyuki's backstory.

Only more episode. Gonna miss this show :(
Mar 20, 2015 2:56 PM

Nov 2014
Akarin said:

I thought the same thing.. Death Note, Death Parade.. MADhouse.. crossover in the works??

I'm officially renaming this show "Feels Parade"
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Mar 20, 2015 2:59 PM

Jun 2013
holy shit, what if Light will be a part of Death Parades ending? *HYPE INTENSIFIES*
Mar 20, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2012
Borgov said:
Ginti made the right decision. People questioning his decision are idiots.

Harada had all the makings of being a void placement. Selfish, shallow, a serial cheater and caused one of his lovers to commit suicide. He deserved void without a shadow of a doubt.

He was on the fence with Mayu. So what did he do? He tested her by asking her to choose Harada and other guy to go to void. Mayu didn't even have the audacity to ask who the other guy was or what he did in his life but instead blindly choose Harada. Ginti gave her another chance by asking her what her life would be without Harada and she said "nothing". Totally meaningless. Meaning that if she was to go reincarnation, her life would be meaningless unless she found someone to look up.Void was her destination.

Ginti was on point and the people crying foul, need to grow the fuck up.

Well yeah that kinda makes sense... was wondering why they both went to the void...
But really it's obvious she would choose someone she admires over a complete stranger even if that guy was a super great guy... she's not a saint...

Anyway the Void is much worse than what I thought it was... I thought it was complete nothingness like you don't exist anymore and you don't feel anything... That actually didn't sound so bad to me... But to have your mind remaining and have the sensation of falling forever really is hell...
LyrisiaMar 20, 2015 3:25 PM
Mar 20, 2015 3:26 PM

Jan 2008
ThEoNePugNA said:
holy shit, what if Light will be a part of Death Parades ending? *HYPE INTENSIFIES*

I cannot wait..."Exactly as planned!"
Mar 20, 2015 3:30 PM

Mar 2014
Ginti you lil piece of shit
Protaku94 said:
lol if that really was Light, I can only imagine how much of a boss L was when he was being judged.
+1
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 20, 2015 3:49 PM

May 2014
Akarin said:

Quite surprised with this too, lol.

Can't wait next week.
Mar 20, 2015 3:57 PM

Nov 2012
I don't get why everyone is so angry, if not for Ginti Death Note would have ended prematurely. He's a hero.
Jaywalker.
Mar 20, 2015 4:04 PM

Mar 2012
Ginti is a FUCKING MORON STUPID LOWLIFE...

and, 10/10 episode
Mar 20, 2015 4:05 PM

Oct 2011
Grantnarg said:
Ginti is a FUCKING MORON STUPID LOWLIFE...

and, 10/10 episode

Another moron who doesn't understand the reason for Ginti's decision.
Mar 20, 2015 4:24 PM

Jun 2014
Ginti did the right thing but it was still upsetting to watch, kinda. I totally agree with him anyway.

TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
akarin- said:

lol so this why they said people dying faster recently.

Lmao damn.
Mar 20, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
What an interesting episode! So if I'm not wrong Ginti send that girl to the Void because she was a void itself, that's how her soul and Harada's soul became one. Very interesting.

The Chiyuki thing felt rushed though. It would've been way better if in the last episode there was no granny but instead centered in Chiuyki's depression. It was pretty good anyway. Can't wait for the finale. 5/5
Mar 20, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2009
I'm very curious about what Decim is going to do with Chiyuki.
He keeps on going on about "respecting people who live their lives to the fullest", so finding out that Chiyuki commited suicide must've been a gigantic let-down for him.

Mar 20, 2015 5:05 PM

Sep 2013
ginti what hte ufkc
Mar 20, 2015 5:07 PM

Nov 2013
This was definitely too deep for me. Wow last episode next week...
Mar 20, 2015 5:09 PM

Jul 2011
This ep was easily the best one of the series
Mar 20, 2015 5:18 PM

May 2013
Such a lovely and emotional episode with Chiyuki ice skating and Decim supporting her. (^_^)
As for Mayu, not so lovely, as Ginti sends her to the void. Damn.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Mar 20, 2015 5:20 PM

Jun 2014
Okay, to begin, the scene with Chiyuki's past mixed her skating was done really well.

Ginti... ._. the hell. Sure, Harada was not exactly the best of people, and Mayu said she would be empty without him, but the void? I honestly think there should be three levels if that's enough to send you to an eternity of fear....

Oculus is mad O.o That doesn't look good at all... the "naughty girl" part made me fear for Nona and I don't even like her all that much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2015 5:26 PM

Jan 2011
The scenes with Chiyuki's past were simply beautiful. It's such a shame she injured herself and basically ruined her ice-skating career completely which led to her committing suicide. D: Decim seems to really care for Chiyuki, looks like he's trying to 'save' her next episode.

Ginti, on the other hand, flat out disposed of Harada and Mayu. But geez when they died they became those marionettes/puppets. So the puppets that we've seen in past episodes have been previous 'dead' humans?!
Mar 20, 2015 5:50 PM

Mar 2015
I have a question: some people here claim that 2 arbiters got human emotions: Ginti and Decim.

Pardon me, but did I miss something? I watched Death Parade every week since the show started.

But I only heard of Decim having human emotions(implanted by Nona). Did I miss something there? Why do people think that Ginti has humam emotions as well?

Thanks for your answers!
Mar 20, 2015 5:50 PM

Jun 2014
I'm curious, has there ever been an anime about figure skating, or about hockey, or curling ...? Curling wouldn't be very interesting to watch, but I'm sure the other ice sports would be fine.

The whole skating scene and her flowing memories alongside was very well now. It just fitted all together very nicely.

How did Decim control the puppet to play piano? He must also know how to piano to do that.

Ah I see that's how she remembered that she died, because she committed suicide, she knows that she wanted to die and became surprised that she appeared alive at the bar.

I wouldn't mind drinking one of those before I kick the bucket. Its blue koolaid!!!

LOL he sends them to the void. I wonder why, did he just want to get rid of her or was there another motive?

lindsayzzz said:

Ginti, on the other hand, flat out disposed of Harada and Mayu. But geez when they died they became those marionettes/puppets. So the puppets that we've seen in past episodes have been previous 'dead' humans?!

Ginko explained that to Chikyuki in an earlier episode

Mar 20, 2015 5:51 PM
Sep 2014
WELL WELL WELL WHAT HAVE WE HERE :o
Easter egg is Light Yagami! This is isn't so strange given the fact that both Death Note and Death Parade were produced by Madhouse. Nice touch!
Now, that Ice skating scene was absolutely gorgeous. It was interesting to see Chiyuki's life but also very sad once we found out that she killed herself. I wonder how Nona will solve this.

Also, for the people complaining that Ginti is a motherfucker for what he did:
1- He's a judge, therefore, he has no feelings (remember the only judge with feelings is Decim)
2- If he has no feelings, what he did had no moral repercussions for him. After all, he's got no concept of morality or love.

So, did he do that because he wanted to? Maybe, but you can't blame him for not having feelings. We all do, and sometimes those feelings are what keep us from making rational decisions. I think Ginti was just doing his job.

Next week is the finale. Death Parade is my favorite from this season! I want it to end, but I don't at the same time... well, it will end next week anyway. Hmmm, this episode made me want to buy myself a memento mori accessory, like a ring or a bracelet. That way every time I stop myself from doing something good, I could take a look at it and think "hey, when you're dying you'll regret not taking this chance". Eeeh, I digress.

Mar 20, 2015 5:51 PM

Oct 2012
Excellent epiosde, that had to be one of the most touching ice-skating scene I've seen in anime.
But I wonder what he did to her - is he unwilling to part with her? Did he created another Onna with erased memory for to be with her longer?

Ginti disposed them well. It's not like she would find another meaning in life than Harada and she wanted to be with him anyway. But did their souls merged together in the void after that? It certainly seemed that way.
Mar 20, 2015 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
Her decision was correct nonetheless. The choice between:
a) 0% void, 100% void
b) 50% void, 100% void
is pretty obvious. Ginti is an imbecile.
Mar 20, 2015 5:57 PM
Oct 2014
That Oculus guy is dangerous and so terrifying ._.
Mar 20, 2015 5:58 PM

Aug 2012
Nobody deserves to go to the void. I thought the void was something like you turn back to what you were before you were even born, which I was ok with, but no your mind is still there and you suffer eternally, that sucks. If I were Miyu I'd refuse to choose and tell Ginti about it.

I hope in the final episode Decim will declare a general pardon for all souls suffering in the void. :D
Mar 20, 2015 6:00 PM

Jul 2013
Well Ginti just lost his spot as one of my favorite characters. Now it's only Chiyuki, Mayu, and Clavis.

Mayu made a decision to save someone she cared about - people are saying she deserved the void because it was a selfish decision but I think anyone faced with the choice of either sacrificing a total stranger or sacrificing someone you care for would pick the former. She couldn't even abstain because abstaining would mean sacrificing Harada. But Ginti probably can't grasp the concept of love and the importance of interpersonal connection, so Mayu got essentially sent to the void for trying to save Harada.

It sucks since she was my favorite, but I think the situation itself is well-done to contrast Ginti and Decim. In regards to their judgments, Ginti shuns human emotion, while Decim has come to value them. And from how the show is moving, I think Mayu being sent to the void is supposed to be a tragedy to show how fucked up it is to pass judgment without an understanding of human emotion.

I can only hope that those two lights joining at the end at least communicates to the audience that they're in the void together rather than alone.

#MayuDefenseSquad
Mar 20, 2015 6:01 PM
Sep 2014
LOL ginti trolled us and sent them both to the void. Mayu should of at least been reincarnated. To be honest Onna should go to the void too. Her life was tragic but her death was cowardice and a serious let down in my opinion. I don't think she deserves to be reincarnated. I think decim will void her too next ep.
Mar 20, 2015 6:04 PM

Feb 2013
This really answered a lot of questions for me, it's really sad that Chiyuki took her own life she must've really dedicated her life to ice skating. Plus about the ending i'm sure ginti had his reasons hopefully we'll find out next episode.
Mar 20, 2015 6:11 PM

Mar 2015
I'd like to emphasize on the phrase 'memento mori' (lat. 'remember you will die', also 'memento te moriendum esse' which means 'remember you have to die') and the way it's explained in the anime.

The original usage of this term lies in ancient Rome. It was meant to remind the Roman Emperors (who were also seen as living gods) of their own human nature and vanity. Even though they were men of great power and money, one thing was sure: they would surely die one day.

The second occassion this phrase was used was during plague epidemics in Christian Europe (~ 12th-17th Century). And it's meaning was: human, repent for your sins while you still can (during your life time), so that you may go to heaven after death.

The interpretation given by Decim ('live your life to the fullest, so that you may not have any regrets') is not really accurate.
Mar 20, 2015 6:12 PM

Dec 2014
Does Ginti and the fan girl's plot has any significant to the story? As far as I concern you can just drop the whole plot line and have no impact to the story, and it's not like any if not every character involved is interesting or has any important message the creator wants to convey, you introduced them and the show is gonna end so you have to tie all the loose end but doing that this late diminish any urgency towards the final resolution especially we still don't have a full picture of Nona's plan. Besides, the characters are just awfully written. Ginti despite being a soulless puppet who always bitch about human making stupid decisions, and I hate him, he does not even have the ability to understand human emotion, the best he can do is to ignore, not being angry about something he can't possibly understand from the day he was born, so he is just a mouthpiece to spout out some bullshit the immature creator wants to say to the audience as if they are on equal ground with him whether it be intentional or not (you know, that's part of the narrative). And what's up with the end he shows sympathy towards the fan girl? We've seen he shows interest in her but that's all you have to do to reach that conclusion? Sure not a example of trying to make a unlikeable character redeemable at the end cliché.

Onna, man I don't understand her. She showed compassion towards other victims despite barely knowing them and we have that impression for the most of the series. She is mostly a plot device but compare to other characters the show has at least you can't ignore her because she actually has some weights on the story. But after she killed herself, the first thought she had, the epic enlightenment she gained is that "people can't understand each other"? That's not right, it should be "I am so stupid why didn't I talk to my mom and my friends and just closing myself off". Why suddenly talks like you are some wise sage when you know the main reason you killed yourself is because you were weak, and it's only your situation. You know what kind of people who also talks like that? Teenagers, who is so full of themselves most of the time they tend to draw conclusions to everything after just a few exposure. Just like Ginti Onna is nothing more than a mouthpiece to deliver the great enlightenment when the time's right. And no, if you want to argue that it's just Onna's dark side and we'll somewhat get a revolution at the end but then what's the point of following her and her little adventure at Decim's creepy dungeon for the last 10 episodes if she didn't go through any chances at all.

And last but not least, you should not name it "the void" if it's not totally emptiness, even in Japanese it's still doesn't make sense, that's why you need to give a clear definition if the term's meaning is different from what others commonly perceived. Maybe just like how arbiter lies to their victims "heaven or hell" the creator is just doing the same thing on us.
Mar 20, 2015 6:15 PM
Jan 2008
Helenus said:
I have a question: some people here claim that 2 arbiters got human emotions: Ginti and Decim.

Pardon me, but did I miss something? I watched Death Parade every week since the show started.

But I only heard of Decim having human emotions(implanted by Nona). Did I miss something there? Why do people think that Ginti has humam emotions as well?

Thanks for your answers!

It was subtle, but one scene had Ginti and other arbiters in a cafeteria. Ginti was getting visibly angry, like he usually does, and the other arbiters looked at him for being off but did not visibly react. They show what regular emotionless arbiters usually act like. Decim's curiosity and Ginti's anger make them different.

And anger is an emotion, after all.
Mar 20, 2015 6:17 PM

Mar 2015
That's right. I remember this scene now. Thank you very much!
Mar 20, 2015 6:21 PM

Dec 2014
Helenus said:
I'd like to emphasize on the phrase 'memento mori' (lat. 'remember you will die', also 'memento te moriendum esse' which means 'remember you have to die') and the way it's explained in the anime.

The original usage of this term lies in ancient Rome. It was meant to remind the Roman Emperors (who were also seen as living gods) of their own human nature and vanity. Even though they were men of great power and money, one thing was sure: they would surely die one day.

The second occassion this phrase was used was during plague epidemics in Christian Europe (~ 12th-17th Century). And it's meaning was: human, repent for your sins while you still can (during your life time), so that you may go to heaven after death.

The interpretation given by Decim ('live your life to the fullest, so that you may not have any regrets') is not really accurate.

It's an anime. The creator can't even think of a creative use of The Spider's Thread, a famous Japanese short story that just like the phrase itself is so overused in anime nowadays it's reasonable to think that they are just handfisting them in without fully understanding the phrases other than they sound cool.
raveninthemuddleMar 20, 2015 7:11 PM
Mar 20, 2015 6:21 PM

Mar 2015
Mayu made a decision to save someone she cared about - people are saying she deserved the void because it was a selfish decision but I think anyone faced with the choice of either sacrificing a total stranger or sacrificing someone you care for would pick the former. She couldn't even abstain because abstaining would mean sacrificing Harada. But Ginti probably can't grasp the concept of love and the importance of interpersonal connection, so Mayu got essentially sent to the void for trying to save Harada.

I'm gonna talk a little more about this thing.

Though I'm sure that part of the reason for her being sent into the Void is that she never had nothing inside herself it's also important to remember that it was a selfish decision in every aspect of it.

She didn't care for Harada, not really. Mayu didn't knew him, but she still loved what he represented; she didn't care that he was a cheater or anything about his past, it was completely meaningless to her if Harada hurt other people or not, all she wanted was the figure of the perfect Prince who would come to her rescue at all times. She wasn't foolish for saving someone she "loved" over someone she didn't knew, but because she couldn't even realize that she worshiped only a illusion and was willing to sacrifice other people's happiness to live in her own fantasy land with the super star she sculpted in her mind to be perfect, all the while choosing to ignore everything bad he has ever done because it didn't fit the boy she made in her head.

I think this part of the episode was to exactly talk about how people can create in their idols perfect human beings that they would love unconditionally, and they do fall in love with that illusionary being, but fail to realize it's just in their minds.

Her unmasked selfishness is what led her to the Void, not exactly choosing Harada over Light without a second thought.
Mar 20, 2015 6:45 PM

Oct 2013
What an awesome episode. Chiyuki here was so beautiful and that skating was "WOW". I don't know why but I am so attracted to Chiyuki.

Friends and her family were drifting apart from her slowly because she can't skate anymore, given her passion for skating being unable to do it anymore and her relationship with her friends and family, I can see why she killed herself.

Then that realization when she died, too late :(

Borgov said:
Ginti made the right decision. People questioning his decision are idiots.

Harada had all the makings of being a void placement. Selfish, shallow, a serial cheater and caused one of his lovers to commit suicide. He deserved void without a shadow of a doubt.

He was on the fence with Mayu. So what did he do? He tested her by asking her to choose Harada and other guy to go to void. Mayu didn't even have the audacity to ask who the other guy was or what he did in his life but instead blindly choose Harada. Ginti gave her another chance by asking her what her life would be without Harada and she said "nothing". Totally meaningless. Meaning that if she was to go reincarnation, her life would be meaningless unless she found someone to look up.Void was her destination.

Ginti was on point and the people crying foul, need to grow the fuck up.

Minus the asking who the other guy was and the swearing, I think Borgov explained it really well,
why reincarnate an empty shell if she'll have no meaning on her existence anymore?
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.