Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2015 7:13 PM

Jan 2015
Helenus said:
I'd like to emphasize on the phrase 'memento mori' (lat. 'remember you will die', also 'memento te moriendum esse' which means 'remember you have to die') and the way it's explained in the anime.

The original usage of this term lies in ancient Rome. It was meant to remind the Roman Emperors (who were also seen as living gods) of their own human nature and vanity. Even though they were men of great power and money, one thing was sure: they would surely die one day.

The second occassion this phrase was used was during plague epidemics in Christian Europe (~ 12th-17th Century). And it's meaning was: human, repent for your sins while you still can (during your life time), so that you may go to heaven after death.

The interpretation given by Decim ('live your life to the fullest, so that you may not have any regrets') is not really accurate.

Nice find. Good to note.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2015 7:24 PM

Aug 2012
Kyoragi said:
why reincarnate an empty shell if she'll have no meaning on her existence anymore?

And in what sense she deserves to suffer eternally?
Mar 20, 2015 7:25 PM

Aug 2012
AaaaaaKun said:
Maybe just like how arbiter lies to their victims "heaven or hell" the creator is just doing the same thing on us.

Well if that was the case we would not have been informed about the hell and heaven like how characters in this anime are not told about anything before they finish the game. Because many people avoid committing sin just because they fear the hell which to me nullifies the point of judgement.
AlturiablueMar 20, 2015 7:31 PM
Mar 20, 2015 7:32 PM

May 2013
Wow. Dat ice skating scene. And Chiyuki killed herself huh? There's now a possibility that she will go to void but next week, I can feel the tension.

And Ginti. Okay, I wished that Mayu and Harada would go to Reincarnation but what a tragedy ;-; and good to see a scene where what could possibly happen if a person is sent to the void. Now hoping for a scene that what can happen if a person is sent to reincarnation.

UGH. THIS ANIME IS ENDING NEXT WEEK ;-;
The world shall know the truth soon.
Mar 20, 2015 7:38 PM

Aug 2008
Beautiful episode, and I also have to agree with Borgov and BMD. Ginti was perfectly right in his decision.

The episode also gave me some chills, because I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to have a near death experience before, a building collapsed on me, I probably lost consciousness too for a few seconds. What I experienced was in many aspects similar to what the Void was described and presented as. Words alone of "falling endlessly" and "being left with nothing but your sorrow and regret" doesn't quite give it justice. Funny parallel, but it feels like the universe itself as a collective entity has judged you, and has found you unworthy of existence. After quickly burning through every negative human emotion you are left with the purest essence of sorrow and loneliness as the endless, soundless, pitch black void crushes you slowly.
KvakondMar 20, 2015 7:44 PM
Mar 20, 2015 7:39 PM

Dec 2014
Oh my gosh, I don't want this series to end! Does Decim speaking to Chiyuki about her count as a love confession? (You know which part I'm talking about) Ugh I can't wait for the next episode but at the same time I don't want it to happen cause that also means that the series is over :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2011
Vellamo said:
Kyoragi said:
why reincarnate an empty shell if she'll have no meaning on her existence anymore?

That and because she sacrificed someone else without even looking into their story. Selfishness to the nth degree. Don't bring up the argument "but she asked Ginti and he didn't answer" because she can badger Ginti for an answer. Ginti is already annoyed by her and so to get her to shut up, he would most likely answer her question. Did she persistently ask who this person was or just revert to being a fan of Harada? For all we know the person sitting on the chair (yes I know it is Light) could have been an a nobel peace prize winner.

Ginti made the right decision.
Mar 20, 2015 7:43 PM

Feb 2015
Borgov said:
Ginti made the right decision. People questioning his decision are idiots.

Harada had all the makings of being a void placement. Selfish, shallow, a serial cheater and caused one of his lovers to commit suicide. He deserved void without a shadow of a doubt.

He was on the fence with Mayu. So what did he do? He tested her by asking her to choose Harada and other guy to go to void. Mayu didn't even have the audacity to ask who the other guy was or what he did in his life but instead blindly choose Harada. Ginti gave her another chance by asking her what her life would be without Harada and she said "nothing". Totally meaningless. Meaning that if she was to go reincarnation, her life would be meaningless unless she found someone to look up.Void was her destination.

Ginti was on point and the people crying foul, need to grow the fuck up.

I agree with you actually, despite Ginti's non-pleasant personality, he gave several chances, but mayu failed all of them. I believe Ginti made the right decision.
Mar 20, 2015 7:48 PM

Nov 2014
L v. Light judgment game OVA to redeem this entire series, please.
Quality Queen.
Mar 20, 2015 7:49 PM

Sep 2012
ScarletCrystal said:
I liked how Chiyuki gained all of her memories through that skating performance.
The music playing just really fit through it all. So beautiful.
For me, this is the first time I've seen a skating performance animated.

Poor Mayu... just wanting to save Harada. It looked like their souls merged together.

Oh no Nona :/

Same here. The ice skating was beautiful though. I was speechless.

TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
akarin- said:

Light from Death Note WTF? :D

lol so this why they said people dying faster recently.

Pffft. That actually makes so much sense.

Barion-Zara said:
Quite the test Ginti made there :O But Light definitely needs to go to the void XD

Again, I am extremely amused by his "appearance."

shawnofthedeadz said:
Akarin said:

If given a fair chance, Light could fool everyone.

But memories don't lie. They'd be able to see through his act.

Lahi said:
Chiyuki death by suicide was very disappointing.

"I can't skate anymore thus I should kill myself. Sounds like a plan."

If she had died because of a skating accident, would have been much imho. The character is somewhat stained after this episode.

That's pretty harsh judgement... I'm not justifying the act of suicide, but I think people should at least try to understand those who do such a thing. Sometimes a big trauma is not necessary to feel despair. The mind can be a dangerous place for some. Reality is based off of our perceptions of it, so the act of suicide is caused by a different, bleak perception of reality. Justification of actions is based off of personal interpretation - it's very subjective. Sorry, I don't mean to invalidate your opinion. I just wanted to make my point.

iLostReason said:
That skating scene was one of the best things that happened in this show.

Much agreed.

AikaKateshiki said:
Lahi said:
Chiyuki death by suicide was very disappointing.

"I can't skate anymore thus I should kill myself. Sounds like a plan."

If she had died because of a skating accident, would have been much imho. The character is somewhat stained after this episode.

This is not what happened. After the incident, she clearly understood that even with her friends and family beside her, she doesn't have a meaning to her existense.She even mentioned it wasn't because she couldn't skate anymore; it was due to the fact that she realized her life is nothing but a shallow shell. Thus she started resenting herself and committed suicide.

Thank you.

llcruz said:
Lots of scenes from the OP appeared in this episode...

I noticed. I thought it was very nicely done.

iHitokage said:
Light was there cause of the Harada's voice actor, check out his roles and you'll understand ^_^

Ah, Miyano Mamoru. He plays so many familiar, important characters.

Darklord_bg said:
"All humans will, without exception, eventually die." Also, "After they die, the place they go is MU (Nothingness)."
~Ryuk, Death Note

So, we know Light is in the void already. It was a nice tie-in from MadHouse :)

Interesting concept. I like the idea.

Lichtspiel said:
I don't have words to express how beautiful and breathtaking the ice skating scene was. It was wonderful. Just wonderful. And so sad.

My thoughts exactly.

IsGalis said:
Hmmm, this episode made me want to buy myself a memento mori accessory, like a ring or a bracelet. That way every time I stop myself from doing something good, I could take a look at it and think "hey, when you're dying you'll regret not taking this chance". Eeeh, I digress.

That's a pretty good idea actually. I would get a bracelet with "Memento Mori" on it.

BobDiesel said:
To be honest Onna should go to the void too. Her life was tragic but her death was cowardice and a serious let down in my opinion. I don't think she deserves to be reincarnated. I think decim will void her too next ep.

I don't think that should be decided solely on such a thing. They're supposed to look at them as a whole and judge them off of that. Suicide isn't a factor that should result in the void, especially now that we know what that entails. She's just having trouble contemplating existentialism. She got lost in search for purpose (oh look, a theme), I think, and everything around her just lost meaning.

And I'm sorry, but I personally don't think you can call any one act cowardly or brave or whatever else. Opinions are innately subjective. These adjectives alone are subjective. I just wanted to introduce a new perspective for anyone who is open to it. Not that I condone suicide at all; I just try to see where they're coming from at least.

AaaaaaKun said:
But after she killed herself, the first thought she had, the epic enlightenment she gained is that "people can't understand each other"? That's not right, it should be "I am so stupid why didn't I talk to my mom and my friends and just closing myself off". Why suddenly talks like you are some wise sage when you know the main reason you killed yourself is because you were weak, and it's only your situation. You know what kind of people who also talks like that? Teenagers, who is so full of themselves most of the time they tend to draw conclusions to everything after just a few exposure. Just like Ginti Onna is nothing more than a mouthpiece to deliver the great enlightenment when the time's right. And no, if you want to argue that it's just Onna's dark side and we'll somewhat get a revolution at the end but then what's the point of following her and her little adventure at Decim's creepy dungeon for the last 10 episodes if she didn't go through any chances at all.

I think you missed the point. Existentialism preaches free will, but I also look at it as a question of existence itself. There are essential questions we ask ourselves that can be quite scary. "What is reality?" "Why do I exist?" "Who am I?" "What is death?" Sometimes these sorts of things scare me, as I find myself pondering them. Perceptions are up to each individual, and each individual interprets their surroundings and such differently. Understanding could theoretically not be true understanding, as that would include thinking like the other person exactly. We empathize with others and try to understand, but it is reasonable to question the validity of potentially different interpretations.

Borgov said:
Vellamo said:

That and because she sacrificed someone else without even looking into their story. Selfishness to the nth degree. Don't bring up the argument "but she asked Ginti and he didn't answer" because she can badger Ginti for an answer. Ginti is already annoyed by her and so to get her to shut up, he would most likely answer her question. Did she persistently ask who this person was or just revert to being a fan of Harada? For all we know the person sitting on the chair (yes I know it is Light) could have been an a nobel peace prize winner.

Ginti made the right decision.

I understand your point. I would just like to point out that the world is not black and white. Much the same, right and wrong are hard to pinpoint. They are subjective words that are based on a person's perception of something or someone else.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Mar 20, 2015 7:50 PM

Jun 2014
Probably the most beautiful episode I've had the privilege to watch.

And Ginti committed no false pretense.
Mar 20, 2015 7:54 PM

Nov 2014
While I totally felt for Chiyuki and her back story was really touching and sad...I AM FUMING. OMG Ginti has my blood boiling and tears running down my face because of what he just did to Mayu & Hirada last second...I'm literally hating on Ginti & this episode in the best way possible because it was such a great episode but I'm so pissed off. DEATH PARADE WHY YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS.

Mayu :'(
Mar 20, 2015 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
So um...apparently I had a very different interpretation of the Ginti/Mayu thing than other people did. O_o

I'm not going to argue about whether or not Ginti should have sent Mayu to the void. What was much more striking to me was the fact that, after Mayu and Harada's descent into the void, there's a VERY distinct cut of their souls uniting as one:

Especially based on the description of the void provided earlier in the episode, this feels like the best possible ending for someone who is being cast into the void -- to endure the endless silence not alone, but in the company of someone you care about.

To me, this really feels like a deliberate move on Ginti's part -- one of (however minute) compassion, even. I suspect this might be a consequence of two people sharing the same elevator -- we've never seen two people share the same elevator. And really, what other reason would Ginti even have to allow Mayu to hold Harada in her arms as they rode the elevator?

Is Ginti getting soft? Maybe we'll never find out.
My channel! With anime covers! http://www.youtube.com/user/fireteamtorch
Mar 20, 2015 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
Mai_Kujaku said:
While I totally felt for Chiyuki and her back story was really touching and sad...I AM FUMING. OMG Ginti has my blood boiling and tears running down my face because of what he just did to Mayu & Hirada last second...I'm literally hating on Ginti & this episode in the best way possible because it was such a great episode but I'm so pissed off. DEATH PARADE WHY YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS.

Mayu :'(

If you were in Ginti's position what would you do? Take away all the emotion you have for Ginti for a second and think about that.
Mar 20, 2015 8:13 PM

Mar 2015
Well, I think (or rather hope) the last episode will give us the answers we're longing for.

I'm especially looking forward to everything concerning 'Oculus'. This is a very suspucious guy. As I first saw him in the OP i thought he was some kind of funny character (like Clavis... sometimes :D). But now I have this feeling he might be the great 'Antagonist' of this series.

I mean really now. What is this guy up to? He said something like he is the one arbiter nearest to become a god? So can he really be evil? I don't know.

I could think of him of some kind of superior, who overlooks ( 'oculus' = eye ) of the whole netherworld. Maybe this is the main reason he cannot allow Nona to disturb the process of judgement by implanting human emotion into an arbiter, who is supposed to work as an emotionless drone.

Also the next episode deals with the topic 'suicide'.

Could it he possible that Decim and Chi-chan will go to Hell/Heaven resp. Void/Reincarnation together?

That leads me to the next question: can arbiters even go to one of these places? Or to put it simple: can they die? They are not 'alive' in a strict sense, after all :D
Mar 20, 2015 8:13 PM

Jun 2014
mfw that sign flipped

Mar 20, 2015 8:16 PM
Mar 2015
Holy moly, that ice-skating scene was beautiful.
Mar 20, 2015 8:29 PM

May 2014
Wait.. WHAT?!

Light? What the fuck are you doing here?

I'm guessing MADHOUSE just put him in for fun..

Also, Fuck Ginti.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Mar 20, 2015 8:39 PM

Jul 2014
Lol I saw Light from Death Note here XD

I guess Ginti's decision is understandable. While I don't think either Harada or Mayu is a bad person (as we see them as now) but there is no reason for them to be reincarnated either.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Mar 20, 2015 8:44 PM

Dec 2014
vanella96 said:
AaaaaaKun said:

But after she killed herself, the first thought she had, the epic enlightenment she gained is that "people can't understand each other"? That's not right, it should be "I am so stupid why didn't I talk to my mom and my friends and just closing myself off". Why suddenly talks like you are some wise sage when you know the main reason you killed yourself is because you were weak, and it's only your situation. You know what kind of people who also talks like that? Teenagers, who is so full of themselves most of the time they tend to draw conclusions to everything after just a few exposure. Just like Ginti Onna is nothing more than a mouthpiece to deliver the great enlightenment when the time's right. And no, if you want to argue that it's just Onna's dark side and we'll somewhat get a revolution at the end but then what's the point of following her and her little adventure at Decim's creepy dungeon for the last 10 episodes if she didn't go through any chances at all.

I think you missed the point. Existentialism preaches free will, but I also look at it as a question of existence itself. There are essential questions we ask ourselves that can be quite scary. "What is reality?" "Why do I exist?" "Who am I?" "What is death?" Sometimes these sorts of things scare me, as I find myself pondering them. Perceptions are up to each individual, and each individual interprets their surroundings and such differently. Understanding could theoretically not be true understanding, as that would include thinking like the other person exactly. We empathize with others and try to understand, but it is reasonable to question the validity of potentially different interpretations.

None of the themes you mentioned are once presented in the anime, and most of the reply is just your own thoughts that have nothing to do with the actual execution of the character herself, or the show in general. I said that the problem is that the creator tries to handfist his own immature idea poorly thus messing up Onna's character to the point she's just a mouthpiece of the narrator. I'm sorry but your reply just sound like overthinking to me. You are free to have your own thoughts but I honestly don't think it's accurate to tell me "I'm missing the point" just by reading your reply. If you want an anime that explore the concept of existentialism well I recommend Kaiba. You'll see how childish DP is assuming if the themes you suggested are even mentioned in it.
raveninthemuddleMar 20, 2015 10:44 PM
Mar 20, 2015 9:01 PM

Apr 2014
Ginti pulled a HUGE dick move >:O

Chiyuki had a pretty sad past T-T

Mar 20, 2015 9:05 PM

Jan 2011
Holy shit that skating scene and elevator scene were powerful.

Akarin said:

So it was secretly Death Note related all along.
Mar 20, 2015 9:16 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was just beautiful. The skating scene was just breathtaking, animation, music, pacing... It was interesting, I felt really connected to Chiyuki even though we hadn't seen much of her until now. Damn, only one episode left, I'm really going to miss this show :'C.
Gov said:

Harada had all the makings of being a void placement. Selfish, shallow, a serial cheater and caused one of his lovers to commit suicide. He deserved void without a shadow of a doubt.

He was on the fence with Mayu. So what did he do? He tested her by asking her to choose Harada and other guy to go to void. Mayu didn't even have the audacity to ask who the other guy was or what he did in his life but instead blindly choose Harada. Ginti gave her another chance by asking her what her life would be without Harada and she said "nothing". Totally meaningless. Meaning that if she was to go reincarnation, her life would be meaningless unless she found someone to look up.Void was her destination.

My thoughts exactly, I thought it was a test, though I still think Ginti's at fault. He was cheap and didn't have the guts to make the decision himself. Still it was less extreme than drawing out the darkness the way they do in the games, I'll give him that.

Episode 5/5
Light cameo: 20/5
Mar 20, 2015 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
So this is where Light's been for the past decade, huh? Intense episode.
Mar 20, 2015 9:22 PM
Jun 2013
okay, so the usual quality...but I can't say I'm not disappointed. I feel like they waited too long to begin whatever they are about to begin. I get that the mystery and of everything is a part of the show and what makes it cool and unique, but at some point I wanted some concrete explanations on some things. I might get some of those in the finale which could work, but from what I've seen in other anime, it's never really a good idea to just throw everything into the finale. Yes a climax is needed, but I think there needs to be ample time for a resolution as well. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they can do that all in one episode.
animeguy17Mar 20, 2015 9:27 PM
Mar 20, 2015 9:49 PM
Oct 2014
Akarin said:

He realy looks like Yagami san.
Anyway, the episode was very emotional, and Ginti is a scumbag.
Mar 20, 2015 10:05 PM

Mar 2014
Light vs. L OVA episode confirmed
i wonder what game they will play