Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 19, 2022 8:11 AM
Oct 2022
sangat gg, membuat sedih dan terharu
Jan 8, 2023 4:35 AM
Nov 2022
OMG, this is kind of ridiculous, but I cried almost the entire film. At first, because the characterization of Anna took me off guard. What she was going through in school, and how she thought about it, and how she felt, was communicated so well, in such a tender way, with way more than just the dialogue.

Then just how the scenery was presented, and everything going on. It was all so beautiful, that I just had to cry. I was surprised that such beautiful things could exist.

Then she lived her adventures. IMO, just perfection.

Was expecting something good, got something even better.
Jan 22, 2023 7:26 PM
Jan 2017
I thought this  movie was pretty good, not one of studio ghibli's best but definitely above average I liked the constant mystery of finding out what Marnie was, and the end result was very sweet
May 6, 2023 9:07 PM

Jan 2021
What an breathtaking movie and beautiful as well and what an plot twist it had, I'm glad that i saw this movie.

Jul 13, 2023 5:51 PM
Jul 2023
Me identifico muito com a protagonis
Jul 14, 2023 1:15 PM
Jul 2023
fucking beautiful
Aug 16, 2023 9:26 AM

Jan 2013
I dont know why they felt the need to explain a second time that Anna was Marnie's granddaughter (after heavily implying she was after Emily's death)
Not to mention all the other hints thrown in about how her eyes are that of a foreigner (hinting about Anna potentially being related to this "foreign" family or even being Marnie herself)

Very slow but relaxing movie, it definitely had me guessing who Anna really was for the most part but satisfying conclusion.
It was nice to see Anna finally open up to someone even if it was the memories of her grandma
That eventually opened her up to other people too, finally getting out that state she was in - unable to really connect to anyone, not even her foster mother.

Loved seeing Hiyako and Toichi reminisce about Marnie too, it seems she had a lot of impact on them.
The scenery looked great!

Great story about loving yourself before being able to love others, maybe a bit too exaggerated in the way Anna reacted but it got the point across.
Aug 29, 2023 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
From Spirited Away, to now this... 3/10.
Another magical yet nonsensical overrated mess, wtf.

Basically, an incest granddaughter x grandma through child ghost form.
Anna, the granddaughter of Marnie is somehow lesbian for her grandmother, who's stuck as a child ghost, and who for whatever reason has haunted irrelevant people unrelated to her, until Anna. Because who the fuck is the old man.

Both random lesbians instinctually love each other. Regardless if it's not intended as incest, but legitimate friendship of family, it doesn't come off that way at all from the abnormal "loving" chemistry.
The intent is unconditional unaware family love, but it was very poorly shown and written because no matter what it practically looks gay, which kills the point and reveal of the story.

On paper, a granddaughter visiting her Grandmother's old home and herself in child form as a ghost is intriguing.
But unfortunately the lesbian feel kills the story.
Not only that, but Anna's childish jealousy over Marnie's boyfriend (stupid), and the irrational of supernatural teleportations and "dreaming" is all poorly done.

Then Marnie's sad story itself is interesting.
Neglected as a child by rich parents. Bullied by her maids and caretaker.
Husband dead, and daughter separated from her until she was 13 which ruined their relationship out of hate from her daughter, Emily.
Followed by Emily herself with her husband, leaving, then dying, and resulting in Anna their daughter being parentless.
Which leads Anna with her own issues in feelings of betrayal because her foster mother receives monthly payment.

On paper, that's good.
But the dynamic of Anna with young Ghost grandma, and the way its all executed as a sudden reveal of Marnie's story, to help Anna solve her own family issues is fucking awfully done.

3-4/10. Another disappointing shit that felt beautiful but was ruined in the end because of the lesbian feel and lacking forceful sense from Marnie to teach Anna.
Or else, what's the point of unknowingly help your granddaughter as a fucking ghost, wtf.

Are all studio ghibli films this nonsensical and flawed?
They're great on premise but fail to execute its true message.
Why the fuck did her doll look like her grandma. So stupid.
Sep 27, 2023 9:01 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Only watched it because of takatsuki Sara.. Sara is one of my favorite actresses..she plays the badass ass kicking woman or Rockstar in most dramas..
It was different hearing her voicing a introvert shy character..

Nov 11, 2023 2:07 PM
Jul 2020
I think this is overrated. The plot of the story is very strange, nothing major happens to Anna but she suddenly becomes a different person even though she was previously a bitch. I admit that from a visual perspective it is good, but in terms of story there is nothing interesting.

6-7/10

Dec 15, 2023 3:02 AM

Nov 2023
Another fun Ghibli Studios anime. Marnie is a really cute and funny characer
Dec 18, 2023 9:33 PM

May 2019
Just rewatched this. So beautiful and deep. Just lifts the spirit by the end, what an amazing story and film.
Dec 28, 2023 11:24 AM

Aug 2022
Really nice film. The plot twist was really fun.
Mar 25, 1:37 AM
Jan 2021
bastante mediocre, comparada con las demás del estudio es muy normaliza y no me evoco ningún sentimiento
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Question for people who already watched it (spoilers)

valyriansteel - Jul 24, 2014

23 by RobertBobert »»
Jun 20, 2023 11:46 AM

» Attack On Titan Satire

Readyarmydude90 - Mar 27, 2021

3 by ETHANethan »»
Mar 28, 2021 12:32 AM

Poll: » This could be Ghibli's last film

str_mln2 - Jul 20, 2014

10 by Yiuumii »»
Oct 23, 2020 3:36 PM

» Let's talk about the Ending

Shi-no-tenshi - May 31, 2020

4 by vRawabi_ »»
Aug 21, 2020 1:11 PM

» [spoilers] Everyone deceived Anna?

RyuMaster - Apr 11, 2015

5 by Rob7 »»
Apr 9, 2020 6:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.