Forum Settings
Forums

Did Vegeta become better, or worse character by the Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami movie? Since he first appeared, that is...

New
Mar 17, 2015 1:08 PM
Sep 2007
I think a lot of people, especially shonen fans, know about Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z.

What do you think about his development in series; was is good, or bad, and was it bad that he changed compared to how he was?

I must say it's kinda weird to see him being ready to even make a fool of himself in DBZ Movie 14, but at the same time, for a weird reason, I liked him more like that, than when all he was thinking was power levels - for that, I'm glad he became more Dragon Ball, than Dragon Ball Z type of character.

Anyway, that is only in the frames of Dragon Ball series; there are many other shows with better character development, but considering Vegeta is one of characters that is popular outside Japan even after all these years, even among young generations that rarely, if ever watch older anime, I was curious about opinions on Vegeta's character through series, up to DBZ Movie 14.

Did Vegeta lose some of his selling points when Toriyama made him softer as a person, and less, I don't know, antagonistic?

Btw, if you don't know about character, that is fine, this isn't thread about wether someone knows about him, or not; if you don't know, please don't spam thread with unnecessary "I don't know who is Vegeta." comments, it will just make reading difficult.
KleferiMar 17, 2015 1:30 PM
Mar 17, 2015 1:23 PM

Sep 2013
He definitely lost points for being scared shtless by Beerus.
The dance was a wtf moment.

The problem is that he's being sidelined just like every other character except goku.
Gohan went from a badass to a NERD!
Piccolo is comedy relief nowadays.
Maybe the new movie will do him justice.
Mar 17, 2015 1:29 PM
Sep 2007
ichii_1 said:

Maybe the new movie will do him justice.
I think it's better not to talk about upcoming DBZ Movie 15 because it isn't out yet, and someone could get spoiled here about it - some people even avoid anime trailers because of how spoilerish they can get.

Kami to Kami movie is already out, and anyone can see it before checking out this thread, so that's why I also put its title into the title of this, well, thread.
Mar 17, 2015 1:47 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami board.
Mar 17, 2015 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
It was a nice variation from Toriyama I think.
There is an attempt to do something different with this movie, to inject some DB feel like you say. For the fans of this earlier version It's a pleasant surprise.
Apr 12, 2015 9:07 PM

Sep 2011
I liked it. He's probably had the most character development in the series next to Piccolo. They both started off as villains and later on changed. Vegeta just took a lot longer to accept himself. I like what they did in Movie 14. Looks like Vegeta is actually content with his life and has found something more important than his pride as the last Saiyan prince. The scenes with him and Beerus where really entertaining.

Also, I don't see why you guys are bringing up Vegeta being scared of Beerus as a negative. This isn't the first time he's been scared shitless. It happened with every major villain since he started working for the good guys. If anything it would have been stupid for him not to fear Beerus being that he's in a level beyond anything else in their universe.

For all those complaining about Vegeta's personality in the movie. It could have been much worse.....

Apr 30, 2016 7:06 PM

Jun 2008
Toriyama really likes destroying his badass characters. He made Piccolo a complete embarrassment joke of character in the Buu saka and now he destroyed Vegeta's prideful attitude.
Jun 3, 2016 12:55 PM

May 2016
In my humble opinion... Vegeta was a utter and upmost worst disaster, just waiting to happen! I hated his guts from very begining, and any "development" there actually is, is just downright ridiculous, at best!

Vegeta, as a character, was egotistical, prideful, spoiled and... well, in a lack of a better word, idiot, with both sosiopathic, and psycopathic traits, and who literaly liked to kill for funsies, and pleasure - considering this is a DBZ-universe, his actually considered somewhat a hero... kinda like Adolf Hitler was :D

Anyway... Funny thing about these kind of characters, is that... they...don't... change! EVER! Toryama clearly doesn't understand, that some people, just can't change, no matter how many fans they have, or how pretty/nutty female you give them, as to say to us, that "hey, look at that! Vegeta likes women, therefore, he's okay!" No! Characters like Vegeta, just don't work like that! Psycopaths don't work like that! They can't love, can't have friends, they can't feel remorse, they can't feel empathy, or sympathy, nor feel wrong from their actions... and neither should Vegeta! Wich he doesn't, as far as I see it. A man, who takes his pleasure from killing, should've never ever never had a stable life with a wife anf kids... unless we're talking some sort Joker-Harlequin- scenario, where Bulma was actually as bad, or even worse of a character, than Vegeta! Wich I think... she actually was, to marry a monster like this! Can you imagine Frieza, having a happy family life, just because some little thing called The Plot, just said so? I don't think so!

Now see, Piccolo took a whole different route on this department, because we actually got to see him wanting to change - not by any means done right either, but it's still there! He changed subtly. Vegeta because... for the sake of the plot, if not at all! It was like Toryama actually forgot, who Vegeta was, and made him into something else, that he really was. Vegeta should have staid villain, and pure evil, because then, he was atmost loyal to his own characteristics, and he actually had purpose of... some sort! Being a villain, who you wanted dead. Now, his a abomination of a joke of a sosiological stantards, and should never be taken nothing else, but a comical relief - a very, very tasteles joke.

The very idea of a mass-murdering psycopath, with a one-track- mind consisting nothing but power levels and "being the best", having a actual home, and family, is as sickening, and wrong to me, as human having a baby with a dog!
"Watching a bad anime, is like watching your cat die - it's sad, it's painful, and it's never over too quickly." - Pahatar
Jun 3, 2016 1:12 PM

Feb 2015
Psajdak said:
What do you think about his development in series; was is good, or bad, and was it bad that he changed compared to how he was?

What DBZ did with him was good. You slowly saw him change over the course of the series. He started out as young, prideful and (slightly) stronger than Goku. Every encounter with Goku had made him swallow some of that pride, and eventually had him finally accept his place as second to Goku at the end of the Buu arc.

Psajdak said:
Did Vegeta lose some of his selling points when Toriyama made him softer as a person, and less, I don't know, antagonistic?

After DBZ ended, it has been a downward spiral for Vegeta. He got portrayed as too casual, too friendly. I suppose it kind of makes sense, as he did admit Goku being the superior fighter at the end of DBZ, but it's just not fun to see him take it like that. Without that burning determination to surpass Goku and become the strongest, he's just... kind of there. Leisurely standing in Goku's shadow, acting as the back-up in case Goku needs a helping hand. Having himself accept as the weaker fighter has made him too passive of a character.
He did get a shot at returning to his old self again when Whis invited him to train with him before Goku came, but all that did was have him sort of catch up to Goku's level.

Dragon Ball Super has reduced him to nothing more than a second-rate fighter and act as comic relief for lame jokes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2013

202 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 1:36 PM

» Q&A: I don't understand some things...

waalex11 - Jun 26, 2015

3 by MrFanatic »»
Aug 27, 2021 12:42 AM

» Is Toriyama ignoring GT?

Wolf_Xll - Sep 15, 2013

36 by VaskoKasko »»
Apr 14, 2019 2:45 AM

» His name is Beerus.

ChairForceOne - Mar 9, 2015

5 by deg »»
Aug 15, 2015 12:13 AM

» Time for a new VA for Goku?

mechian - Nov 10, 2014

8 by IntroverTurtle »»
Mar 4, 2015 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.